[ D a i l y B i k e T h r e a d ] - /dbt/

[ D a i l y B i k e T h r e a d ] - /dbt/

DRZ a shit edition

>Motorcycle Questions & Answers
>Motorcycle Routes & Meetups
>Motorcycle Gear & Accessories
>Motorcycle Adventures & Blog Posts
>Motorcycle Pictures & Fun Webm

VOTE FOR THE NEXT SEM LOCATION (LAST DAY FOR VOTING 30/12/2016)
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdYldJ_b_Ef-i81_w_iisNgS3LVnJIT_5Lu86ddiez8olTZHQ/viewform

>/dbt/ map
google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=z7CKLSFiJH_M.kMZoQpBOKipI

>Motorcycle Ergonomics Simulator
cycle-ergo.com/

>Noob? Read this:
>Webms with sound
>Previously on /dbt/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4b2JiKBGy1I
youtube.com/watch?v=0n5kfqs_8J8
youtube.com/watch?v=vKxuwjzmtN8
youtu.be/fNgCPUl7i5o?t=216
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is a good edition

Too soon

3rd for Merry Christmas!

Post boipucci cm trap user

kys fat fag

>be too poor to do track days
>own a dirtbike

that's a loaded question.
A 600cc Supersport is gonna be faster than a 1200cc cruiser, but then you also have things like 600cc standards which are still faster than cruisers but much slower than their 600cc supersport counterparts.
Same goes for literbikes.

If you wanna do mostly commuting with a bit of fun cornering and you are new to bikes, get a 600cc standard.

Popular choices include the almighty SV650, the FZ/MT-07, the CBF650, the ER-6N/F and the Kawasaki Ninja 650.

All around 70-75 bhp, 2 cylinders and plenty of torque.

build a track in the woods.
or go to an mx track. they have cheap entry fees

i don't even feel like riding. when does the fun happen?

Things almost nobody considers when judging a bike

>Bore width/Stroke length
>Crankshaft angle
>Firing order
>Wet weight
>Seat height
>Wheelbase length
>Rake and trail
>Suspension travel
>Spring rates
>Stock tire size
>When peak HP and torque are developed

Things everyone considers when judging a bike:

>Number of cyllinders
>Displacement
>Does it look like a racer, a UJM, or a harley?
>Peak HP/torque

I consider most of those things. I am a more experienced bench racer than most though

WTF is crankshaft angle? You talking about the angle between crank pins?

It's the difference between an africa twin and a buzzy ninja that wants to vibrate your dick to smithereens.

the angle at which your bf's crank is penetrating your shaft

DRZ (not) a shit edition

DRZ a (best) edition

Disregarded.

>last week woman rear ended me
>exchanged details
>finally managed to get bike to the garage to get looked at today
>£118.08 to fix it
>trying to get in contact with the woman today
>first her son answers, says she will call back later
>hours later no call
>call again
>nobody picks up

If I never get a response what should I do? I should have got her reg plate too but I was just so fucking mad at the time I had to get away as fast as possible before exploding at her. Do I call the police? Will I have enough details on her? Got her name and mobile number.

>Do I call the police? Will I have enough details on her? Got her name and mobile number.

Try again, if she doesn't answer call the popo

burn her house down

>get on bike, running a little late for the last final i have of the semester
>make it a couple blocks, notice the front feels a little loosey goosey
>accelerate, look down and i'm at 27, still doesn't feel like i'm countersteering
>time to pull over
>it's a fucking nail in my rear tire
i swear this happens to me at around the same time with every single new vehicle i buy. a month or two after i get it, i get a fucking flat. the scary thing is it probably happened yesterday while i was riding through this torrential downpour. luckily enough i made it home

Rape

>when does the fun happen?

Never. Riding is a meme. Stop doing it. Sell bike. Purchase a Libreboot Thinkpad, install Temple OS for real fun.

>libreboot
i don't think terry would approve

>on my way home from work, hooning on my shitbike
>stuck behind a built-for-grandma lincoln land boat
>they're driving 5 in a 20 at the exit of a parking lot, swerving, jumping curbs
>oh boy here we go
>apparently they have the same idea as me, still stuck behind them in the left turn lane at a red light
>light turns green, but they take a full 6 seconds to lurch forward
>to my disbelief, they completely undershoot the median and turn into the perpendicular left turn lane and begin driving
>I'm riding parallel to them, waiting for them to realize
>They realize
>Ancient lady with Giant Fit-Over Sunglasses who can barely see over the steering wheel and her equally antique and vertically challenged friend both appear to be shrieking
>they're waving their hands next to their heads, looking at each other and then the road, their car slowly lurching forward in the opposing traffics' left turn lane until their Land Boat jumps the curb and berths in the grass on the median

riding a motorcycle in florida is scary

>riding a motorcycle in florida is scary

I know you guys have no twisties of any kind.

>no twisties of any kind
ummmm but do you have a giant scientology circle? no? didn't think so sweaty ;)

does it shoot lasers

yeah we call it the death star

What tire is that? Trailrider?

Or step up to an FZ09 and get a better chassis and much better motor. 600 supersport class power but with a friendly torque curve and awesome sound.

>better chassis

I'm not gonna pretend I'm good enough of a rider to make choices about chassis being better than others but I really don't like how the MT-09 I rode handled and the set up of the ergonomics for fast riding etc.

The suspension was hilariously bad for the power the thing put out, it wallowed up and down like a waterbed and you're so high and upright on the thing.

Even with the jackhammer stock forks of the SV and less power I'd take it every time for a run through the twisties/track day.

shinko 705

The suspension is terrible out of the box on the MT09.

But luckily a ZX-6R shock bolts right up for like $50 and fixes a large amount of the suspension issues on it. Namely an undersprung/damped rear end.

Still won't make the bike as fit for aggressive riding as a real sport bike.

what is/are the best standard(s) available in America right now

It's not a real sport bike.
This is a non-issue.

CB1100 maybe.
Ninja 1000?

I just bought a '94 DR650 for $700. It needs new sprockets and chains, and a new rear brake caliper. Did I do good?

maybe. let us know how well it works and how long it lasts after you replace those.

How will the drz posting on this site end?

pretty decent. The caliper might be a little bit of money. Sprockets and chains are ~$100 on Motosport

Seems like, there are a grand total of two near me, both around 7 years old both for 5k burgers.

>tfw I might fall for the DRZ meme

by posting up better bikes.

It won't

>How will the drz posting on this site end?

Due to lack of engine oil.

when someone builds a better motorcycle

Is the wr good for city riding, getting around traffic and shit?

I'm waiting.

WR250 is a better bike in nearly every way compared to the DRZ.

Doesn't have big bore torque like the DR650 if that's what you're looking for but they are reliable as shit, capable offroad and on road and people use them for cross-continent adventure all the time with great success

not as good as a DR-Z400S

Explain yourself.

It's not a better meme than the DRZ

That's one of the things it's best at.

Plenty of power for pulling away from stop lights when splitting without being stuck between the cagers, light and flicks around like nothing, great (70+mpg) gas mileage, smooth motor that doesn't rattle you to death, and a 6th gear for good acceleration gearing while still having a good top gear cruise.

Which WR?

I don't care. None of them are better than a DR-Z400S.

Triumph Bonneville

>wr250
>Makes within ~4hp fo the DRZ
>lighter
>modern aluminum frame
>modern suspension with USD forks
>modern balancer fuel injected motor
>wide ratio 6 speed transmission so highway speeds are no issue even with dirt capable gearing
>handles better off road and on road
>actually faster than the DRZ straight line when both bikes are geared for the same top speed
>70+mpg
>hyoog aftermarket
>better ergos

DRZ literally only has a 4hp advantage. It is worse in every single other way.

better meme? no.

Better motorcycle? Fuck yes.

also, WR has less maintenance than the DRZ.

>3000 mile oil change
>6000 mile filter
>26,000 mile valve checks

which one is the designated shitting street?

>Makes within ~4hp fo the DRZ
debateable
>lighter
not saying much, still almost 300lbs
>modern aluminum frame
steel and aluminum are both still in used for a variety of reasons, one is not better than the other
>modern suspension with USD forks
"modern suspension" is a buzzword means literally nothing
>modern balancer fuel injected motor
almost all 4strokes are balanced
>wide ratio 6 speed transmission so highway speeds are no issue even with dirt capable gearing
needs it due to lolnotorque
>handles better off road and on road
[citation needed]
>actually faster than the DRZ straight line when both bikes are geared for the same top speed
prove it
>70+mpg
ok?
>hyoog aftermarket
because the DRZ doesn't have twice the shit out for it?
>better ergos
entirely subjective

My dealer told me the CB1100 was out of production. Definitely like it though

I sat on a bonneville and it felt like I planted my ass firm on a rock

it also looks a bit too Cafe Racer Wannabe for my tastes

funny you should mention that, dead center of the circle is a sewage treatment facility.

depends on your definition of "standard." the versys is probably the single best utilitarian bang for your buck you can get on the market right now

>CB1100
youtube.com/watch?v=4b2JiKBGy1I
youtube.com/watch?v=0n5kfqs_8J8

He lied m8.

When I say Standard I typically mean in terms of aesthetic and styling. Also it being utilitarian.

I'm sure some people recognize me by this point but my gold standard for Standards is the CB1300 and the VX800.

I just did a quick google and apparently they're revamping the CB1100 as the CB100 RS.
Whether or not it's coming to the States is still up for debate.

Why must every decently styled bike be dead in the water when it comes to the US

Barely lighter than the DR-Z.
Less carrying capacity.
20% less peak power is a huge difference, and it's even more across the normal riding range.
Forks being upside down makes little to no difference. The difference is it makes the ride more harsh.
WR250R shock is way underdampened and tends to buck the rider off.
Sure fuel injection is nice.
WR is already geared lower than the DR-Z stock, and by a longshot as well. Both of these bikes are already limited in top speed by drag way more than revs, so "gearing for top speed" would entail lowering the gearing not raising it.
Stock DR-Z gets 70+mpg as well.
DR-Z has a larger aftermarket.
Ergos are a personal preference but my DR-Z is pretty comfy.

WR literally has an advantage by having a slightly lower first gear if you like to keep the revs up when chugging through small trails. I geared my DR-Z taller than stock and don't mind at all. The taller first gear is especially nice on pavement because I don't have to shift as soon as I take off.

>debateable
Nope. Pic related.

>not saying much, still almost 300lbs
WR is like 30lbs lighter than the DRZ wet.

>steel and aluminum are both still in used for a variety of reasons, one is not better than the other
Aluminum frames are lighter and stiffer. Putting the chassis control into the suspension, not frame flex. There's a reason all modern offroad bike use twin spar aluminum frames.

>"modern suspension" is a buzzword means literally nothing
You're a complete retard if you actually believe this. You've just invalidated yourself and made it known you've never actually ridden a modern-suspension bike.

Go ride a dirt bike for 15 years ago then go ride a dirtbike from 5 years ago. Try to tell anyone there is no difference in suspension.

>almost all 4strokes are balanced
This is wrong. The DRZ has no balancer. It tries to shake itself apart at highway speeds.

>needs it due to lolnotorque
It needs a 6th gear for the same reason that the DRZ needs a 6th gear. Because gearing for a low enough first/second gear for offroad on the DRZ means you have a shit 5th gear for the highway. This is not an issue on the WR.
WR gearing is actually about the same as the DRZ 1st through 5th. It just ahs a 6th gear on top to make for tolerable highway speeds. The "WR" in WR250 actually stands for "wide ratio".

>[citation needed]
Lighter bike with far better suspension and frame. You do the math. Everyone who has ridden them and every review/comparison out there talks about how the WR handles better than the DRZ. The DRZ has pretty shit suspension out of the box.

>prove it
I've seen it. I've ridden both.

>ok?
Modern motor with fuel injection. Efficiency is a very valid metric for comparison.

>because the DRZ doesn't have twice the shit out for it?
"Twice" the amount of a shitload of aftermarket is meaningless. There is anything and everything you could ever want for a WR available aftermarket.

>entirely subjective
Denial.

>it also looks a bit too Cafe Racer Wannabe for my tastes

It looks like the original Triumph Bonneville, which was also a standard. It is not, AT ALL, a "cafe" bike. The Triumph Thruxton is cafe'ed. Words mean things. Don't buy one if there are hipsters in your area though as they ruined them for everyone else.

Except for California there are very few hipsters. If you see one please park your car on their skull. The hipster imitates real men but is not one. The hipster affects the accouterments of real bikers without being one.

Cafefags who mutilate old junk into asstastic imitations of the classic British originals are the same as the chopperfags who build garbage instead of classic choppers.

>pic related
guess you don't know basic arithmetic then

youtube.com/watch?v=vKxuwjzmtN8

>Why must every decently styled bike be dead in the water when it comes to the US

Because Americans are rich enough to afford multiple specialty motorcycles, like a DRZ for touring, a DRZ for road racing, a DRZ for sidecar use, a DRZ for motocross, a DRZ for trials, and a DRZ for towing broken WRs and KTMs out of the woods.

who was in the wrong in the first one?

youtu.be/fNgCPUl7i5o?t=216

>americans

>lighter
Not when you have to use more of it to get the same durability.
>all modern offroad bikes use twin spar aluminum frames
Kek. The ones winning races use steel alloys.

Being "modern" doesn't make it better tho. The actual damping characteristics are the most critical part of suspension and the DR-Z fork and shock do that excellently.

DR-Z does have a balance shaft. No shit a larger piston will vibrate a little more than a tiny one.

Have you actually compared gearing of the 2? Stock geared DR-Z vs WR at 70mph: 6657rpm for the DR-Z in 5th or 7464rpm for the WR in 6th. The WR doesn't have "wide ratio" gears. It literally just has an extra gear because the only way to keep it going is to keep it in the top 2500 revs.

All the reviewers for the WR say its shock was way too harsh and the DR-Z did better even though it's forks aren't upside down.

>no proof of it being slower than dr-z
>proof readily available that the DR-Z is faster

Your WR a shit

>Barely lighter than the DR-Z.
30lbs wet is not "barely lighter.

>Less carrying capacity.
Unless you're pillion riding with luggage this is meaningless (and doing this on a DRZ would be horrible too). The WR250 has ~600lbs load carrying. This is more than enough for a rider and all the gear he could strap to a light DS like the WR and DRZ. also the WR has a better stator for accessories if you're into that sort of thing.

>20% less peak power is a huge difference, and it's even more across the normal riding range.
Try 15%.
And in light of the WR being literally better in every other meaningful way, that 4hp doesn't count for much.

>Forks being upside down makes little to no difference.
WR has modern USD cartridge forks. DRZ has undersprong, underdamped garbage.

>more harsh
The price of performance is stiffening up the suspension so it's not made of spaghetti. The DRZ's front couch pillows perform like shit offroad and on road. And literally no one has seriously called the suspension on the WR "harsh".

>WR250R shock is way underdampened and tends to buck the rider off.
Citation needed.
If anything it's undersprung in the rear.

>WR is already geared lower than the DR-Z stock, and by a longshot as well.
The WR is geared stupid tall from the factory. 13/43 stock. 6th gear is almost not worth using for anything than perfectly flat or downhill.
Putting 13/47 gearing on a WR makes it faster than a DRZ AND it can still hit 95+mph and cruise at 75.

>Stock DR-Z gets 70+mpg as well.
hahaha

>WR literally has an advantage by having a slightly lower first gear if you like to keep the revs up when chugging through small trails.
And weight/efficiency/suspension/smoother motor/fuel injection/etc.

>I geared my DR-Z taller than stock and don't mind at all.
This is how we know what kind of riding you do. no one who gears a DRZ up does any sort of techincal riding on it. Let me guess, yo do some fire trail and that's about it?

kek at that first clip. The rider's throttle control was so bad I thought he was going to do something stupid but someone else crashed into him before he could.

>The WR250 has ~600lbs load carrying
manual states a full load is 408lbs including the rider
its obvious youre pulling this out of your ass, you can stop any time

>Not when you have to use more of it to get the same durability.
Except the WR is lighter. Your point is moot.

>Kek. The ones winning races use steel alloys.
No they fucking dont.

>The actual damping characteristics are the most critical part of suspension and the DR-Z fork and shock do that excellently.
It's a pretty well known fact taht DRZ forks are garbage from the factory and require springs and valving to be even passable.
They are good if all you do is hit some broken concrete on the way to work. They are garbage for any sort of serious offroading or canyon carving.

>Stock geared DR-Z vs WR at 70mph: 6657rpm for the DR-Z in 5th or 7464rpm for the WR in 6th.
And the DRZ is rattling itself apart at that speed while the WR is begging for more.

>All the reviewers for the WR say its shock was way too harsh and the DR-Z did better even though it's forks aren't upside down.
lel citation needed.

>Your WR a shit
>DRZ has 4hp advantage
>WR has advantage in literally every other single aspect of motorcycling
I think we all know which a shit.

>I think we all know which a shit.
both

Are you confusing a WR-X with a WR-F?

My mistake on the number

My point still stands.
408lbs is more than you would need for anything you'd try to do on bikes this size.
No one pillion rides with overnight luggage on a DRZ or on a WR. The load carrying capacity is a retarded argument.

>The WR250 has ~600lbs load carrying. This is more than enough for a ride
manlet spotted

YOU ARE ALL WRONG

CT110 BEST DUAL SPORT

No lol the DR-Z is sprung for japanese people and dampened perfectly fine. It also has cartridge forks. The WR is underdampened if anything.

why does the DRZ vs WR argument matter when they're both poorfag garbage

>sprung/damped for a 120lb gook
>suspension isn't shit for man-size people

yea, okay.

Also best sportbike.

>Motorcycle
>the chassis is perfectly contoured to evoke a sense of speed and chaos on two wheels
>simply turning it on begets an ominous, aggressive growl
>rolling the throttle changes it into a terrifying roar
>you see a little button on the left handle bar
>temptation and curiosity get the best of you
>you press it
>MEEP MEEP
why is this allowed

Because the WR and DRZ are the only real light dualsports that matter on the market.

Euro street legal bikes are garbage for DS because they require stupid amounts of maintenance and are unreliable.