I love fresh powder

I love fresh powder

Other urls found in this thread:

track3.mixtape.moe/oslgyd.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

At wally world waiting on the wife

How's the ST performing in the snow?
>tfw no snow in the UK yet...

OP, which glorious place in the midwest do you currently reside?

I just drove through a good 50km of unplowed backroads (bout a foot of snow), handled it like a champ. Blizzaks were worth the money.

Noice. I just braved a slushy icy highway with bozos going 30mph with hazzards on even though my blizzaks are at my parents house 130 miles away. Shitty all seasons and a 240 work good enough; was pulling into work only to have my boss call me and say we're closed. Oh well, time for some donuts!

Ontario atm

It was Narrows Lock Rd, between Kingston and Ottawa. Felt like I was driving on a rally course.

It snows in Australia?

I've heard the FiST is a beast in the snow

>tfw no snow

Underrated post

I hate it I hit some stupid truck yesterday night because I couldn't see out the back while reversing, luckily it was like 2am and I booked it quick

You are scum

Clean the snow off your car dipshit

End yourself

Get hype, taking out the beater soon

I saw one stuck in a ditch this morning. It looked like it had decent mud tires too. I was very disappointed

No vehicle prevents idiocy, although I'm a little concerned with my skillz since I've been coddled with fancy traction control, anti skid, abs. This is going in raw for the first time in a long time...

>65 degrees and raining in georgia

Feelsgood

Traction control and abs suck ass in the snow.

Oh look it's kkk and he is wrong as usual

I drive a 2003 Chevy Malibu with winter tires up front and all seasons on the back. Yesterday I had to drive on non plowed streets and going slow around a turn caused me to slide out. I recovered by laying off the gas, not hitting the brake and counter steered. For a fwd car is it supposed to slide out? I went slow into the turn, like 10 mph. For reference I have no weight over the back axle.

>Go to accelerate in 2wd
>Traction control detects tire slip because theres no grip
>Cuts power to the wheels
>Don't move

Alternatively
>Go to stop at a low speed
>No grip because snow on the ground
>Have to slow down but the abs prevents the wheels from creating friction
>Just slowly roll into an intersection as the abs modulator pumps brakes.

It's true tho. TC will just go crazy and start beeping like you're going to die if the back end gets the tiniest bit loose. Then it'll start hitting the brakes to try and get the car back in line, and in the wrong situation, you'll go right off into the ditch. If you're a semi-competent driver and know how to correct, the best bet in winter driving is to just shut it off. At least that way the car will be predictable.

I've also had a 4x4 F250 come to a dead stop going up a hill in 4 inches of snow because of traction control. Turn the TC off, mat it and it makes it up the hill just fine. That was pretty impressive actually, since it had come to a dead stop half way up the hill and was running around on all seasons.

Older cars with ABS are actually garbage, they'll typically have two or three ABS sensors that will start pulsing both wheels on the axle if it detects any slippage, which really doesn't help if two of your wheels are on clean pavement and two are on snow. Some of them also keep the ABS going after you let off the brakes, so you can't just brake, feel it slip, let out and brake again like you normally would, as the ABS is still vibrating right along by the time you want to get back on the brakes.

Newer ABS with a sensor on each wheel and a controller that's smart enough to run 4 separate circuits isn't too bad though. That kind of system will pulse the two wheels that are on snow while leaving the ones on clean pavement alone, which actually helps as compared to normal braking. Still kind of annoying though.

He's not wrong at all.

Fucking climate change or whatsoever. No snow here yet. And probably not gonna happen.in Feels bad man.

Not really

Traction control can be good when you're travelling along, not being "aware" and the one end of the car suddenly traction. This should ofcourse not be happening if you're paying attention and being a non-retarded driver, but if that was the case for everyone we would barely have ABS. When you're on shit winter terrain, especially when going up hill-corners traction control/anti-spin will often "overreact" and cut power as soon as it feels any slip. The reason why this is shit is that a little bit of slip in these conditions and on that terrain is quite normal as the available traction can change dramatically on very, very short distances. We're talking solid, fresh snow on one foot distance, polished ice on the next.
When I had my Merc I'd always turn off the antispin when driving up in the mountains or on steeper roads as I knew that it would interfere and make it impossible to get up.

As for ABS; typically does great on ice, but in deep snow it doesn't really do anything, and in most cases allowing the wheels to lock up will allow them to dig further in aswell as building up a moving wall of snow infront of the tire. ABS will interfere with this and keep the tire rolling to the best of its ability, meaning you won't get that buildup

Cleaned out the stang this morning, hope I don't get stuck somewhere today

Traction control is aids in the snow 90% of the time

ABS less so, but in deep snow sometimes its hurting your stopping power because you cant dig into the snow.

its 50 degrees in los angeles and could not imagine living anywhere else. its fucking cold brahs

ayy we got like 9 inches here in Denver overnight after being forecast for 3-5. I took my FiST with blizzaks out and had some fun. Roads were pretty slippery even with the blizzaks though.
Overall performed excellent, tough to get going uphill in mostly unplowed roads though as expected.

I usually turn off traction control to get started and once I'm moving turn it back on when it's slippery. The TC just limits power too much to get going well when it's slick but I want it for normal driving conditions still.

As for ABS, it's probably useful for most people but yeah you will stop faster if you squeeze lightly and prevent the ABS from even kicking in on slick surfaces. Of course modern cars all have ABS which can't be disabled so there's no choice

I tried see-sawing the wheel at high speeds on a snowy highway to see what the TCS would do in my FiST. It actually corrects slip pretty easily and without drama.

>see-sawing
what did he mean by this

going back and forth to try and whip the back out to see how the traction control reacts

Shit was cold as fuck when I had to go to work this morning. That was a lot of brushing of snow

yeah luckily I didn't really need to be anywhere. I got plowed into my parking spot and had to shovel out my front end

Thankfully my street doesn't get plowed so i can do some hektik doriftus with the e brake.

don't worry I still got plenty hektik drifts in. There's a new light rail parking lot near me that is empty but the entrance is blocked off for some reason so I didn't get to go crazy

I did see quite a few pickups stuck though which was entertaining

Yeah the combo of more slippery tires in back and no weight back there make it really easy to get sideways.
pro tip: take it to a parking lot and see where the traction limits are, it'll be pretty fun too

I believe it. I pass some fools on i25 or Havana often in my 2wd grandpa car. Just give yourself plenty of braking space.

i lol'd at this

It was a fresh -1 in the springs this morning.

Transmission fluid in my hardbody was so thick that it took probably ~50 lbs of effort to put it into 1st. Maybe I need different/new fluid.

yep. Even worse were the buses, it seems like RTD doesn't put chains on for some reason and I saw multiple shoveling themselves out

New fluid probably. I've got to say, this thing is an awesome snow car
>Badass seat heater
>Powerful interior heater
>Heated mirrors
>Good speakers

Shits cash.

Yeah it's rough.
>Tfw started listening to the classical channel hosted by CPR
>Cruising down illiff at night in the snow cozy as fuck
Shit is top tier comfy.

Careful nigga don't go too hard lol

>heated seats

That's a Hyundai Accent bruh

Mud tires don't do well with packed snow.

Kek wut

That's a solid ride, looks like it would eat up the highway miles too. I need something like that after I sell my Si. Sedans like that seem to go pretty cheap in this state.

Here's the truck as she sits right now. The 4 cyl in these trucks are terribad weak, and from what I read a TH350 bolts right in, so it's looking like a v8 swap summer right now.

Oh shit, I'm not that swole.

Those car tents are amazing. I want to put one up in my back yard to keep a beater in.

It's super boring but it's extremely comfortable, and it just devours the miles. It's good for actually car things unlike my project

I wasn't expecting so much snow last night, made running errands this morning a lot more fun

Are you guys having fun in the snow?

track3.mixtape.moe/oslgyd.webm

Yes. Im pretty much sliding 90% of the time.

Depends on the car

I drive a 1.6 fiesta no turbo and TCS just kills power at the slightest slip, easier to get going on snow without it on

Not really... I don't wanna risk anything as its my only car and I'm dependent on it, and day-to-day driving there really isn't much difference in feel - no slip unless I want to

>tfw rear wheel drive volvo on shitty old tires

any fwd or awd car with snow tires is a beast in the snow..

sounds hektik

>a yeated seat!

yep

Like i don't understand this meme. Heated seats are top tier comfy

this.
Just went to track with a bmw that only had the driver and a 5 pound chick in it and still was significally faster than them in an oversized overweight crossover shitbox with 3 people in

dude, it was a joke, you still going on about this

>fucking jelly you have heated seats
>my cars are too old for a feature like that plus

and nothing of value was lost

>Put around 140lb of sand bags in the rear
>Car handles like a dream, I should've put some sand bags last winter season but didn't think to do it and had to get pulled out of a couple of times.

What do you drive? Is snow/ice a result or you clumsy?

Dude what are you on about?
My 15 year old shitbox turns off the ESP and ABS if it can't get any grip after half a second of trying.

Put a 12v heating pad under a seat cover of some sort. bam.

Ah, winter. The only time of the year when I can drift (inb4 it's a powerslide *autistic screeching*) my FWD shitbox and do snowy burnouts

Exactly. And my 1993 has abs and even that old is better in snow.

They sell seat covers that already have this famz, but a 12v trucker blanket is hella comfy as a lap blanket.

>don't have a car with traction cucktrol
>don't have a car with beeper warnings
>just your car and your wits against the snow
Best feeling

>It was supposed to snow this morning
> Instead it decided to heat up to 50 degrees and then immediately go back below freezing

It's like god is taunting me for spending money on winter tires