New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627
Recommended Filters: pastebin.com/KQztCGbw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/G_zanhgugRM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thanks.

No, but I'm trying.

I decided to change how entering and exiting the hovercraft works, and that made it easy to add multiple vehicles so I did. Now you can drive this pink cube car and these hovercrafts that look suspiciously like f35s.

>suspiciously f35-esque hovercar leaves the screen
Probably not the best way to leave the player feeling in control.

There will be boundaries in actual levels to keep that from happening. They're just set not to draw outside of the camera view and room boundaries.

People are cosplaying him already

What project are you going to use Aseprite for anyway?

>have to download and install two other programs to install aesprite
Is there a compiled version out already?

Reposting:

Is the user who said they were going to make music for pic related in this thread? I just want to make sure I didn't miss it

If you pay the stupid tax.

Yeah. You can get it by donating some bucks to a good cause.

[sweats nervously]

Oh wow my first fan-art! I'm flattered.

this might be my demo boss, but I hooked up the player controller to it just for fun.
might have a weird void/dark/null themed level, I got some good ideas.

you ever make a character you don't wanna see get hurt though?

shitty motion blur is for dramatic effect, won't have it in game

>Spend two hours making a somewhat okay animation for the title screen when it's clicked
>Can't figure out how to make it stop playing even when it's not clicked

Should I just not use sub images in game maker?

I think the better solution is to work on the basic mechanics of playing animations before the animations themselves

So in unity does gameobject.find and getcomponentinchildren not work on UI/Canvas objects?

It does work. What are you trying to do?

I'm trying but I'm better at the art than the actual programming.

git gud

>Should I just not use sub images in game maker?
Oh boy.
image_speed = 0

creepy af

Screw this, need to tweak that a bit but I'm making the game for myself to begin with so I'm keeping this.

Shit's too funny.

Basically I have a UI in scene that has info for the player. I want to find the input field first of all.

Next I have a canvas where one of the children is a text object with a script attached that changes the text of it.

So in the Start() function of the player I find the canvas element, disable it, and re-enable it when a button is pressed, get the input and then send it to my text element. Which will then change the text and after a certain amount of time fade the text and turn it off.

Problem is when I type gameobject.find("inputfield") it doesn't find it. I've copied and pasted the name of the input field, and it's never disabled before the initial disable (but it never finds the object so it doesn't work) And in hierarchy it's enabled when the null error comes.

The same with getcomponent in child. I'm looking for that script I mentioned earlier to send the text to. But it never finds it. The structure is player->playerCanvas->text and GetComponentInChildren won't return the component despite it being there and it being recursive.

Upload an image of your canvas and its children.

>I'm making the game for myself
love this meme

i don't love any of these games i'm making so i can't ever finish what i start. what drug alleviates this problem?

inspiration and creativity

Cocaine so you finish them before you have time to grow bored of them.

What's so meme about it?

watching Heat over and over

you're make it to eventually sell.

Actually I don't for this one.

alri m8

Sounds like ADHD. Imageboards are ADHD magnets too. So Ritalin/Adderall alleviate the problem, at least that what they're designed to do and do do in most cases.

>tfw dev 12 hours day
>progress is still slow as fuck even though my scope ain't that big
this is just depressing, i literally dev all day and it's moving this slowly, so when i have to find a job 3 months from now and will be able to dev like 2 - 3 hours/day i will be pretty much fucked and never finish

Its strange how little progress happens for hours of effort

If its asset creation I can understand art taking a long time, but why does programming take forever?

I don't know.
Like I have this idea of what I want to code and it sounds so simple in my head like 30 minutes of work at most.. and then it's suddenly midnight 10 hours latter and only then i finally finish.. and looking back the code wasn't that complicated or huge but it still took so long to make..

Yeah it's the same for me, really frustrating, but it does get a little better as you gain more experience. Depending on the case though, quite some time can be saved by first trying to find the most efficient design possible (but you're probably already doing that). I mean sometimes I just start programming but it really only serves to clarify what I'm trying to do and what is needed and then I start fresh with a new approach and it is a lot faster

I've been coding nonstop for like 48 hours and my code is a mess

It was just for fun and learning anyway, so I'm planning to rewrite all of it so its more manageable

Does anyone have any tips for making manageable code?

Is this some kind of MMetroidvania? Looks cool

>Try to get collision detection all evening
>Spatial partitioning improves the performance slightly
>Performance improved slightly more by only checking collisions during second pass if there's a "reactor" collision object
>Still chugs down from thousands to < 100 if there's a couple dozen items clustered together
Why god, why

>Does anyone have any tips for making manageable code?
Don't stay up for 48 hours

Just the normal advice I guess, try to keep different elements of the system separated and make them agnostic about what's going on in the larger picture. And be very precise about who knows what and who manages what. Often in games programming you to make some decisions about gameplay as well in order to be able to do that, and have some idea about how extensible certain systems need to be

You should measure frame time instead of FPS, and then implement some profiling for your functions or parts of it, or use something that does it for you, if available in your IDE. In the grand scheme of things it's pretty helpful if you have some system where you can simply "mark" a function or segment of code and it will automatically give you debug and performance information somewhere without having to rewrite or insert it at each point

Im pretty sure visual studio give timing info as part of its debugger

Yeah the VS profiler is great but I'm not sure whether the dev uses VS. The VS profiler gives a list of incoming and outgoing calls from each function and how much time is spent in these various levels of the call stacks

What program are you guys using for screen recording?

I am the dev. I'm using vs community right now so I'm not sure what the limitations are since I'm used to just using enterprise, but still...somethings very wrong when it just immediately plummets exponentially like that.

Holy shit not being able to use 2D vectors as a self-contained structure in Game Maker and instead having to split every fucking vector operation into x1, y1 , x2 , y2, etc. is driving me fucking insane. It's already nearly 2017 why is something like this allowed?

Fraps

Too epileptic?

I mean I don't know what your algorithm looks like. It looks like you have a lot of stuff there. 50 items = 2500 checks? 300 fps means you're spending 3 ms, whereas previously you were at 0.5 or so doing essentially nothing. Even if you did the collisions in 1 ms you'd still be below 1000 fps from that baseline. That's why fps is a deceiving

I wouldnt call it epileptic, but it does hurt my eyes after a couple seconds.

POST PROGRESS

Well since i want the game to focus on wading through pools of loot drops ill need to efficiently deal with clusters. If i spread out my test drops across thr map the frame rate is in the hundreds even with hundreds and thousands of objects

this is me typing from the hospital following an epilepsy attack cause by your gif, you will be hearing from my lawyers soon

I'm still merely following this beginner tutorial though

It's okay user. You have to start somewhere.

I added 26 palettes to the game. Now I just have to apply them to the color keyed sprites ingame.

Got the thrusters hooked up to the engine, so now they fire corrently based on how the ships turns and moves. Now I just have to hook the two big thrustets too and that will be it. The next to make will be probably some weapons for the ship like missiles or machine guns

its christmas break
why are you all sleeping
get to work

new skills

fixed ass

I made two bosses today, Brain Knight and Radical Rex(working titles).

[faps monochromatically]

Hawt

why does this look like chinese mobile game?

>half the world is chinese
>they all have phones
good idea

that's just a bonus

>an editor class
>holding a definition of scriptable object classes
>hoding the static methods making menus to instantiate them

I know what I'm doin'

dumping

>tfw want to update my 7 year old pc for my deving tools to run better
>tfw too scared it will tempt the to waste time by playing games instead

Just to let you know: I'm saving it. Thanks for sharing!

That's a real fear, my dear user. You've got to stay strong, man!

No prob bob.

neato burrito

Some of us are AT work (or for me rather 8 hours a day of on site training and 2 hours of paid exercise).

easing function not working properly

>> Engines
>tools.aggydaggy.com/engines
>
>> Helpful links
>Website: tools.aggydaggy.com
Why should their be two links to the same website?

Once a guy couldn't open a link to a Demo Day to find out when will it occur because of reasons, so I think there's a need for spoon feeding.

>not linking your posts together so one can quickly save/open them all

>responding to op shitposting

The OP got to shitpost for almost a year, almost daily about what he didn't like about the OP. So you better believe I'm going to nitpick this new OP until it gets the changes I want to see.

My file is too big for Veeky Forums
youtu.be/G_zanhgugRM

The guild of not deving won't make you play games long trust me.

>the guild of nodevs
Where can I join this cult?

You're already here

Do any of you fags even use version control?

if you don't use it, you're bound to fail

okay screw easing, it is linear and working now

i still havent made the actual game! i have to deliver this by the 24th!

i used to (usually svn but also git) now i only use github for free static file sharing (as a kind of free CDN) and I use dropbox / syncthing.

sometimes i have actually wanted to go back to previous versions though, but whatever, idgaf about anything at all anymore

you waste too much time dealing and caring with / about things.

just type. no time for bullshit.

Reminds me of those old DOS shareware games I'd play as a kid for some reason.

>how do I join

No user, the question you need to ask is how do I leave?