Hey guys

hey guys.

So i really want a truck that looks like a 1980ish ford or chevy with the box flat front "mud truck" look with a lift kit. I have a 40,000 budget. PRoblem is all the trucks i have looked at are old and have problems and rust. Are there any NEW models that look similar to this type of truck? (made in 2006 and up)?

Something with a short bed, lifted (obv i will have to do this aftermarket) and a FLAT front also must be a standard transmission? pic related. thanks

You have 40k in cash for a toy?

Used Raptor?

What're you gonna use it for?

Short answer is no

Long answer is for 40k you could fully restore and modify three trucks like that. You could buy a truck, drop it off at a shop and sign some papers and pick up your truck when it's done and still have cash left over

Pic related is 6 grand worth of trucks and the middle one is even a one ton cummins

You're not looking hard enough there are clean models with very little rust, if you're willing to travel.

And even with some rust it's not as if they'll be impossible to work on

Or wait, these aren't offered with a manual, are they? (if thats what you mean by "standard")

No, idiot.

Buy a clean K1500 like everybody else. You don't do that to a new truck.

This
Every day I kick myself for not staying in my rental and having an old Comanche shipped down to a local outfitter and having them rebuild it instead of clamoring idiotically for another econobox because 'muhhh rental rapin' muh wallet.'

40k is enough for a built mud truck, AND truck+trailer to pull it with.

Why not?

Some dealers will even roll the cost of the mods in with the financing and cover it with the factory warranty. you buy the truck, they send it to a shop or do the mod in-house and call you when it's done

manual = standard

and that doesn't have a flat front it's still curved :(

im using it for my daily driver in NYC

i literally have zero knowledge of how to fix cars and am not willing to learn (work in healthcare). I want something that will be dependable aka newer

im willing to buy any international model of vehicle in case you thought i just meant chevy or ford. I don't care if it is only manufactured in china as a maintenance vehicle i would still buy it

>NYC
Everything square body is going to be rusted to shit or double/triple what it's actually worth

Best options are to find a decent truck and drop it at a shop and do a full restoration or find one that hasn't lived it's whole life in the rust belt and have it shipped to you. Either way is easily doable with a 40k budget

how expensive would it be to drop like a new truck engine into one of those rust bucktes? i want something that is going to start and is not gonig to break down ever

>K1500
I don't want a k1500 the lights curve over to the sides of the truck. I want something with a straight cut front 90 degree angle

so get one shipped from some poor village in west virgina?

how much is a full restoration? and can they take a new 2016 ford truck engine and drop it into one of thees babies?

You can have the factory engine pulled, fully rebuilt and reinstalled for about $3,000 give or take. That brown one in front is 32 years old and factory stock and starts the first time everytime

For 40k you can do pretty much anything you want so long as you find a shop that can do it

My buddy did a nut and bolt restoration on a 78 Ford f250 an I cost him around 25k

If you're shipping a truck from out of state I would look in Texas, Arizona, new Mexico, Nevada ECT as the low humidity and mild winters means little rust if any

Why do you need a new engine? Any old small block from the big three is reliable and easy to work on. (granted under powered by today's standards) Or get an old cummins or IDI

Go down south or out west and buy a nice rust free truck. Anything clean in the salt belt goes for large amounts of money.

If I had $40k burning a hole in my pocket I'd just buy a newer truck. Like it or not any modern truck rides nicer, handles better, has way more power, can tow more, and all around is way more refined.

Tangenientialy related question: a guy neer me is sellling a square body for ~$500, and the only problem I can find that makes it non-driveable is that it's missing a piece of the rear axle assembly that holds the axle to the frame.
I know nothing about anything, but it looks from the holes that are left like it was just a straight bar that probably snapped off at some point.
How fixeable is it?

I'd stay far, far away from anything lifted.

That doesn't really help.
It looks sort of like that pic, same color, same generation, but it's not lifted more than a couple of inches and it looks like it was very proffesionaly done.
It has an LS, a 4-speed stick, an AM/FM radio with cassette player, and the ONLY thing that looks even a bit off is that rear suspension assembly.
I really want to fix it up, but I don't know how practical that would be.

If it's the spring perch all you would have to do is cut one off another axle and weld it on yours

Or is it the spring hangers?

I honestly don't know what any part of a truck is actually called, but it looks like there used to be a horizontal bar between two rectangular holes in the frame, and without it the rear axle has dropped down and is being held up by the springs.

Here's what it should look like

Spring hangers are easy to replace and can be easily found at junkyards or bought new

please dont help this guy build a $40,000 mall crawler. its driving up the price of old trucks and making them horribly gay

>I know nothing about anything
Then don't buy it.

if i had 40,000 cash i would save it since i have no savings or retirement saved up

It's sort of this kind of situation, if you can make any sense of the diagram.

What seems to be missing is a part of the axle assembly, which I have shaded in.
So do I replace the entire rear suspension, or is this fixeable?

This bit.

Your drawings are so incredibly wrong in every sense of the word I don't even know where to start.

I know, I'm just attempting to relate what I saw, and I only saw it once about a year back.
The axle is hanging down off the struts, but the springs are still in place, and thatere are a couple of rectangly holes that look like they may have once held up the axle to the leaves with a solid bar and some u-joints, but there is now nothing there.

Other than lol mileage how are the 90s era big blocks from Ford and Chevy?

Not struts. Shocks.
It sounds like it's just missing the U-bolts and the plate that the U-bolts attach to. Here's a pic.

THEYRE GRRRRRRRRREAT

I bought a 2014 Chevy 1500 short bed crew cab for $31,500. Just gotta keep looking man. Good luck to you.