Oil filter from hell

Oil filter from hell.

Pic related - mine looks about the same.
Any suggestions for removing at this point?
Strap wrench - didn't work, too late for that.
Good ol' screwdriver through the filter - tried that, that's why it's mangled.
Chisel and hammer on the holes to turn - no luck.
Don't put it on so tight - fuck you. Not helpful and I don't know who changed it last or when.

So, my next step I believe will be taking a dremel to the fucker. If I cut between the holes i should be able to pry the gasket off and hopefully then unscrew what remains with relative ease. How concerned do I need to be about sparks? Better alternatives? Will consider burning to the ground for insurance at this point.

no mention of vice grips

Spanner wrench in the in the holes. rig one up. Your best bet.

This when in doubt vice grips get some liquid wrench to lubricate the threads.

or use a tool that will fit in those small holes after the liquid wrench and then try making it turn that way.

Fuck me, did Arnold & a breaker bar tighten that thing?

Don't use a dremel - you don't want anything going into the hole

I'd find two bolts that fit into the small holes at the bottom of the lid there, take a piece of steel, drill two holes for the bolts in that so that they still fit into the wholes, secure the two bolts with nuts and then use that piece of steel to screw it off

I've done a masters sketch of it here, wih the bolts marked in red

they make oil filter pliers, had to use them all the time when I was a lube tech. also if you have a piece of steel you could drill 2 holes the same distance as oppposite holes in the filter, put a bolt through it with a nut on the other side and use it as a wrench.

I've used these pliers on 98% of oil changes I've done.

Other than K-series oil filters (when they were still above the hanger bearing of the intermediate shaft) and certain GM why-the-fuck-did-you-put-the-oil-filter-there monstrosities, they have never let me down.

If you've got some elbow room, a pair of pliers like that might beable to take off the remnants of an oil filter that you've got there.

Pipe wrench

this is probably the best thing to try, spray some pb blaster beforehand

fuckin hell it took me five minutes of staring at this picture until my brain got it right. to me it looked like the thread is on the inside of a bore, as if the top part of the filter was closer to the camera than the bottom part. maybe I should go to bed.

I can only suggest putting metal dowels in those filter holes and using them for leverage.

Two screw drivers in the holes with a vice grip holding them together

i went back up to OP's pic to see how you were seeing it wrong, and then i realised i was seeing it exactly the same way haha

what kinds of car is it

Don't use a Dremel or anything that's going to cause swarf to get into the oil system. Poke two screwdrivers into a pair of the holes and use a pry bar or similar to unscrew the filter base.

put a clean towel or something in the hole and cut that fucker in half.

It's the rubber gasket you need to break loose. The center threads have been bathed in oil since the filter was installed. The gasket has a large diameter and it's probably stuck to the block which is why it takes so much torque to break.

Attack the seal by prying the edges away. If you can't get at the edges from the sides, maybe drive a punch/screwdriver at an angle through the edge of the can near the seal. Then pry the the edge away from the block to separate the rubber from the block.

>Chisel and hammer on the holes to turn - no luck.
the old loctite in the oil filter gag, get it hot

i like your style

Yes, tried.
Ty. Clearly I'm lacking some materials.
Hindsight is 20/20 won't work now
Will likely try this, ty.
76' corvette l48
Will that keep shavings out of important areas
Yeah the fucking gasket is the issue. Unable to pry it loose due to room restrictions.

>76' corvette l48
Looks like a lot of aluminum. I didn't know they used so much aluminum

Why is that wiggling around so much

stick a screw driver in the small holes around the threaded center hole and with a hammer drive off the base of the filter.

Robertson head or torques are good for this, avoid flat head or Phillips

because the tie rod ends are fucked

bcuz its broken

make that ball joint, wasn't really paying attention

>won't work now

plenty of room left on there for pliers. the beauty of filter pliers is that you can use them on angles if needed.

>Chisel and hammer on the holes to turn - no luck.

damn
I would suggest using a bigger hammer

dremel as you say would be a good solution. i'd degrease the area beforehand so that shavings just fall off instead of sticking everywhere. and put something in the hole to prevent it from falling in there.

Problem solved. Pic of the aftermath. Friend came over, we got wasted. He says "let me take a look at it". (Lol OK noob - 10 years younger me in an unrelated profession that involves mechanics)
Sticks needle nose in holes - I had tried this previously with vice grips holding pliers in position - but he wedges screwdriver in between pliers to apply force. If you can't imagine it from my description, fuck you. I'm wasted and on a phone so no diagram. But anyways, he popped it off in 2 seconds, I feel like a retard. Pretty sure I have to suck his dick later. Don't tell my wife.

Thanks for all the help, seriously. Google should reference this thread for all future problems of the same. I'm too lazy to create any useful guide. Long story short - pliers + torque from in between = success.

Never did try the dremel, guess I'll blow myself up next time...

Car in question. Huge improvement with synthetic oil if anyone cares.

I like how you're honest about jumping the gun, very descriptive and courteous when asking for advice and thankful for what you received

You're a good guy, user - keep it up and keep wrenching. Everyone has to begin somewhere

Ty. Yes if I could go back I would recommend you try ALL options before driving a screwdriver through the filter. YouTube videos look simple as fuck - but chances are high you'll just destroy the filter.

Investing in a good set of filter cups is definitely worth it

And I thought my shitbox was bad

grats, enjoy your protein shake

You put oil on the gasket of the new one, right?

>Fram
think i found the problem

yeah always start with the least damaging options and work your way up. i usually start just trying it by hand then a strap wrench then the filter pliers then the more risky shit like screw driver, cutting ect. also ALWAYS put oil on the new seal and it'll be a lot easier to get off

hence why I change my own oil

Yes.
Agreed, go with k&n that have the hex nut on the bottom.

>fram
Kill yourself my man

Very good posting, OP. Glad you got the problem resolved.

To help with the payment you owe your friend... Just think it's some other girls dick instead of his.

What would Ivan do?