Want to start doing my own work on my car

>want to start doing my own work on my car
>decide to start by changing the oil
>buy a kit with a jack, jackstands, rolling bed and other shit at autozone for 80 bucks
>lift car up, put in jackstands, block wheels, use handbreak, everything thats in the book
>go under car and when i pull the wrench to loosen the drain plug bolt the whole car wobbles
>mfw

Holy shit, being a mechanic is scary shit isnt it? I couldnt even change my own oil without pussying out and thinking the car was gonna fall on top of me

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Automotive-Technology-4th-James-Halderman/dp/0132542617
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've never jacked my car up to change the oil. How large are you? You can do it bud.

Anytime I contemplate taking a vehicle to the local mechanic to get something done I remind myself how stupid everyone who works there is. If they can do it, you can do it.

Always give the car the shake test before crawling underneath.

>I've never jacked my car up to change the oil.
You must have a ton of ground clearance. I can't even fit the drain pan underneath without jacking the car up.

I've never lowered any of my cars. Altima, old starlet, premio. All of them I could crawl under and manage to get filters off.

you can always slide a spare tire under the raised axle for a little more peace of mind, op.

All of mine have stock suspension, but there's no way to get under either my Prelude or my S2000 without jacking it up first. Civic might be doable, but it wouldn't be comfortable.

>work at stealershit
>do all my maintenance painlessly because lol lift
>anything I don't feel like doing I can get someone else to do for a six pack

Put two stands on either side, not just one in the middle. If you've already done that then I don't know what to tell you mang. Ramps maybe? I've never felt my car move when I'm under her, I guess if you have a miat or something that could be a concern

>working a loser job

Did you put the car in gear and use the handbrake?

How's foodservice?

>her

Get out.

You did something wrong

Did you have the pointy end of the Jackstands down?

Just do this op

Also this is a good idea

Cars, boats, planes, etc are always female.

>Tfw I can change the oil on my wrx without having to jack it up at all..

It's 100mm ground clearance too.. I bought a cheap large drain pan and cut off the top lip of it so it slides under, and I can reach my oil filter and drain plug from just reaching my hand under.

Curious whats the best way to get in to changing shit on your car, any good guides online? I wanna become more familiar with my vehicle

Just get some ramps my dude, I rest mine against the beginning of my garage (the concrete goes up like a inch from driveway to garage)

Once again proving the namefags are cringe meme

It is a fucking piece of metal you autist

Boi I only weigh 140 and all my sedans are stock ride height. Even getting under a ranger would be too uncomfortable.

>car wobbles when pulling wrench despite being on jackstands, chocked, brake, etc

This may seem patronizing but bear with me; did you LOWER the car ONTO the jackstands or are you yanking on things while the car is still supported by the jack itself? If the former, you're not telling us something, and if the latter, please learn from your scare and don't do that.

>wanting to be inside a HE instead of a SHE
>being a degenerate faggot

>be 17
>fixing my lancer with only the jack that comes with the car
>feel movement on the jack
>gtfo before car falls down
not like the bumper of a 1 ton car could injure you badly but still, i was an idiot at that age.

>using a jack and jack stands to change oil
Just get some ramps. They're much more convenient.

Not really, they are only good for one thing

>They're much more convenient.

Right up until you let someone else back the car down, they gun it then jam the brakes, and smash your fog lights on the ramps on the way down.

Also, most cars high enough to clear ramps are high enough to do an oil change without raising them up. Unless you get special low clearance ramps or something.

>calling him an autist
>when you're the one getting angry at people who attach names to pieces of metal
Just stick to to rental bikes and saving pics of shitboxes you'll never have, bud. It's what you're good at.

You sound butthurt

Why did your mom give you a name? You are a chunk of meat nothing more. It's either a he or a she, asshole. If you can't comprehend this much, no problem, always remember that the meat chunks that you call your family will one day be eaten by other beings and their name forgotten, so you either call her a car and give her a proper name or you leave your clothes and everything and put yourself into a damn grinder.

Literally many pages sind the world give machines names. (I.g. military ships, and carriers)

It's good to have both. I rarely have to jack up my car (2001 civic) to work on it so ramps are perfect.

Why would you let someone else do that?

Places around the world*

Buy a NATEF certified textbook and read it front to back

amazon.com/Automotive-Technology-4th-James-Halderman/dp/0132542617

>Not peeping at your car's undercarriage when she's sleeping
Are you some kind of fag, user?

>it's good to have both

I agree. I jack up the car, put ramps under the tires, lower it onto the ramps, then put jack stands as a failsafe. All this done under a four post lift so that the car can't jump upward in the event that it gets spooked.

What's that sound?
Is that... Is that your knees?
Why are they so loud?!

>giving a fuck about being worn out when your'reare old

The fuck are you planning to do, be a 90 year old marathon runner?

Giving a fuck? Marathon? Nah man, nah.
The pain is fucking real man. Those popping creaking noises aren't just to let you know that your some old bastard.
Nope. They're there to let everyone else know that you were taken advantage of. Sure the money might be good. But trading in working knees in ones 20's just fucking sucks man.
Fuck you.