"snow tires are a meme"

>american drivers

youtube.com/watch?v=b8Ia0k01GGQ

Other urls found in this thread:

baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/12/17/at-least-40-cars-one-tanker-involved-in-i-95-crash/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>that ISN'T CGI

wow

holy FUCK

you mean
>poorfags who cant afford a second set of tires
or
>women who dont know better

This is like a Michael Bay movie in real life

seriously,if you can afford a set and live somewhere where it gets below 5c for extended
periods, they are worth it.

Holy fucking shit lol. Thats one dead tank truck driver.

What I've noticed is that your available selection of snow tires in the US is damned small

really the consensus is that blizzaks are the best bar none

at least here where we get lake effect snow in ohio (4 feet a year)

Are you allowed to drive studded tires in the USA?

t. Finland

Depends where you live. Most places they're illegal because they eat the fuck out of the roads as we don't get a lot of long standing snow. Most places budget for good snow removal if it's needed so unless you're caught out at 3AM in a blizzard the roads should be fairly clear 90% of the time.

I wouldn't know, I'm not a burger

And yes, I do drive studded - the exact ones in your photo

t. Norway

>Are you allowed to drive studded tires in the USA?
Varies by state but in most you can.

Yep

2 dead, 11 injured, 40 got their shit fucked up

baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/12/17/at-least-40-cars-one-tanker-involved-in-i-95-crash/

Jeez dude

>Most places budget for good snow removal if it's needed so unless you're caught out at 3AM in a blizzard the roads should be fairly clear 90% of the time.

I don't know where you live, but I wish I was there.

Around here, the plows don't make their first pass until 5-6 A.M., if you're lucky. We had some snow the past couple weeks, nothing really crazy, a couple inches over night for a few days.

First day, plows didn't get out until after 7 A.M., and the roads were warm when it started snowing but the temp dropped over night, so there was ice under 1-2 inches of wet-ish snow. Saw two wrecks on the way to work, 8 cars and a tractor trailer stuck on a very slight hill coming off the interstate, and the resulting traffic added about 45 minutes to my normal commute. By 9 A.M. the roads were fine. All it took was one pass with a plow and salt to clear the roads, but the drivers just didn't want to get out of bed.

The other little storms we've had have been about the same. Roads are shit up until about 8 A.M. if there's an inch or two, or shit until about noon if there's more than that.

I think someone expensive must have complained after the first storm, as I actually saw a state plow out and about at 5:45 A.M. last week, which I've never seen before. Mind, they were plowing air and salting clear roads, but they were still trying, which was rather impressive.

I'd imagine the second death was the guy the tanker fell on top of

That's fucking terrifying

Around here the plows run 24/7 during any decent sized storm.

Can plows scrape up freezing rain/ice?

It's almost impossible for smaller communities to adequately plow. In central WI, the way the weather has been, the budget is likely to have been used up by mid February. They're going to have to borrow from next fiscal year to make them passable, barring a very early spring.

It has been snowing for 24 hours straight here and the wind is picking up. High temps tomorrow will be below zero with a wc near -40 that will hold until monday afternoon.

I and a lot of other people have shit that needs doing on Monday. I'm legit worried about this.

depends on the type of blade being used. some can cut grooves into the ice. they are usually used on gravel roads but i've seen them used on pavement during freezing rain. the grooves don't really help much with traction but they do help keep the vehicle from sliding all over the road

Look in retailers that have a large distributorship in Northern states.

States bordering canada or those in the rockies are really the only ones that will need them for more than an hour or two at a time.

I can understand smaller communities not being able to plow constantly, my town has 441 residents and one plow driver. I don't get pissed at that guy if he hasn't made a pass by the time I leave for work. He also does a pretty good job anyway. The guy we had before would make one singular pass with the plow, after the storm was done. Didn't matter if it snowed for 2 hours or 2 days, he'd only do it once. Made for interesting driving some days.

The places I do get upset at are the state plows. The state guys refuse to go out after 7 P.M., and also refuse to go out before 6 A.M. most days. They stop plowing whenever they feel like it, whether the roads are clear or not, and if it's a weekend, you'll be lucky if they go out at all.

Weather here should be interesting for Monday. A few inches of snow today, high of 41 with rain tomorrow, and a low of 9 tomorrow night. I will be legitimately impressed if I see a stretch of road more than 500 feet that isn't glare ice.

Love my snow tires. An extra set of wheels and tires was less than the cost of a minor fender bender. No reason to not get them.

INB4 "just drive slow."
Fuck that. Snow tires and I drive however I want.

Mirror?

No, they just dump shit tons of salt which handily melts the ice, but unhandly eats everything else aswell.

I'm just gonna leave this here.