>2016
>still changing your own oil, battery and spark plugs

Stick to changing wiper blades since you can't fuck them up.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:00324558?rview=1&rview=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Alright that last part with the car wash actually fucking triggered me OP, what the fuck

>that car wash bit
>implying that your readers are literally too retarded to not spill 2 gallons of used oil everywhere
#triggered

do you know how many mother fuckers come in complaining to my dealership about shit like this,
"i just drain my oil and now my cars transmission grinds"
dude you fucking drained the CVT fluid, That'll be 12,000 bucksto replace that shit dumbass

I agree on the battery one for certain makes.

>Chrysler Sebring

>tfw you have a top mounted cartridge oil filter
>tfw battery sits in a tray that the cabin air filter guide sits on top of to keep it in place, and otherwise has no tie downs
>tfw didn't fall for the transverse V engine meme
>tfw too autistic to not leave car perfectly cleaned when washing it, not to mention the layer of paint sealant making it absolutely effortless to remove everything and come back with a water beading shine

I can agree with knocking the oil over though, thanks Mercedes for the 8 quarts of oil I have to change every time.

>at least the service interval can stretch on more than most cars, if you're busy

>Popular
>""""""""""Mechanics""""""""""""

>couldn't even properly capitalize NASCAR
Pathetic

changing spark plugs can be a bitch depending on the vehicle, in which case I'd pay someone to avoid the frustration

changing a battery is easier than changing oil, but again can be a bitch if it's under the backseat or something

I won't pay unqualified morons at a jiffy lube etc to change my oil anymore and I'm not paying overqualified mechanics at dealers that charge even more, it's easy enough to do and I know it's done right

I have something called "confidence".

The only thing I don't do is clean my own windshield, because surprisingly the crackhead who is always at the gas station when I fill up (even different gas stations near me, crazy) does a better job than I do, all for the price of spare change and/or two cigarrettes

Also once my friend went to jiffy lube and the morons forgot to put in the oil after draining it.

Also once I went for my dads car they tried pulling their jewish card tricks
>mr.noseberg:"hey your cabin air filter is dirty, we can replace it for 30 shekels"
>me:"thats not my air filter"

>Nu males now have an ego for not doing work

Oil changes are not worth doing at home. You may save like $10 tops and you risk getting fucking oik everywhere and yeah, you still have to take the old oil somewhere to be recycled. The only thing you have to deal with at a quick lube is saying no to all the upsell bullshit.

Batteries in gereral are still pretty easy to change regardless of location. I mean some are in the fender well so it requires wheel removal but most are atill just two cable ends and a hold down away from being changed.

Most of the newer v6 engines are dohc and require upper intake removal which can be intimidating. Probably best left to pros. Inline 4 bangers couldnt be easier and definitely doable for your average idiot.

>don't change your own oil; get someone else to do it
>don't fuck your own girlfriend; get someone else to do it
white "men" in the year 2016

>Batteries in gereral are still pretty easy to change regardless of location. I mean some are in the fender well so it requires wheel removal but most are atill just two cable ends and a hold down away from being changed.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've never owned a car where the battery is anywhere other than in the top of the engine bay and held down by a single bolt.

>Batteries in gereral are still pretty easy to change regardless of location.

Sure thing pal.

>you still have to take the old oil somewhere to be recycled.

If you live anywhere with snow, used oil makes a great undercoating for winter. 9 out of 10 shops will legit charge you $100 or better to spray your car with used oil. The 10th shop will use bar and chain oil, and charge you $200 instead.

>Taking a headlight off
> Left to professionals

The only time a professional took my headlight off the retard broke the clip on the plug.

I'll do my own work, thanks.

how does this even happen

it's pretty difficult to not notice that you're pulling a bolt out of the fucking transmission case, then again if you can't recognize your transmission under your car you probably shouldn't be getting under it in the first place.

>Oil changes are not worth doing at home. You may save like $10 tops

you also get to put in good oil rather than the trash they fill your crankcase up with at jiffy lube

Actually had a kid in my auto shop class do this.

He drained his trans, then put 5 quarts of oil into the motor. I think he figured out something was wrong when the trans started slipping.

Last I knew, he went on to become a professional mechanic.

>is the oil supposed to be red?

>safely get rid of the old oil
>mfw I just dump the old oil in the dirt

>change your own oil
On newer cars, I'd rather get them doing it
On older cars, I'd rather be doing it

I agree with this guy, kill off the idea that shit can be done at home.
>gravy jobs
>make bank off of "I'm too good for doing that." kind of people

Mine have usually been held down by 2 bolts.

>Became a pro mechanic

Well I hope he learned from his mistake

I took my car to Midas for an oil change a month ago because they had a deal that made it cheaper than doing it myself, and I regret that decision. I didn't have an oil leak before they changed it, but I've had one ever since they changed it. They won't take responsibility for it. Fuck them.

How the hell do you screw up a battery or oil change?

When did they get this bad? Have 100+ years of back issues. Find something interesting and post it.
books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:00324558?rview=1&rview=1

By being a "man" who never had a real father figure

Holy christ god what

Thats an intrepid/300m and definitely not the correct way to gain access to the battery. There is a panel built into the fender liner thats accessible once the wheels removed.

As for oil changes, I wrench in a shop and we charge 29.99 for a pennzoil synthetic blend LOF up to 5qt. Seriously, if saving $10 is worth spending 30-60mins in your driveway lifting your car, supporting it, making a mess and having to recycle your old oil is worth it, by all means bro.

>As for oil changes, I wrench in a shop and we charge 29.99 for a pennzoil synthetic blend LOF up to 5qt. Seriously, if saving $10 is worth spending 30-60mins in your driveway lifting your car, supporting it, making a mess and having to recycle your old oil is worth it, by all means bro.
For saving 10 dollars and making sure a retard with a wrench doesn't install shit oil, shit filter, or fucking strip my oil plug yea I'll do it

Why are there a bunch of shop fags insisting everyone should take their cars to shops in every thread now? Fuck off.

Nu-male Illustrated

They wanna make more money because they'll use recycled crappie oil because it costs them nothing and they collect money on it

I'm not letting some retarded grease monkey touch my shit.

took my car to a quik-lube place, charged for filter. checked my old one that i put in is still in place. Had fun argueing with them that the original filter was still there. they pulled out some random filter from the trash claiming it's mine.
>bosch=/=fram

>midas
WORKED WITH A GUY FROM THERE, SHIT BAG LIKE TO BREAK SHIT AND CLAIM THAT IT WAS THERE TO UPSELL. SEEN HIM TRY TO FUCKING DAMAGE THE REAR SEALS ON A CLASS 8. TOLD THE BOSS, GOT A RAISE AND WATCHED THE GUY PUSH HIS SHIT OUT ONTO THE STREET.

>30-60mins
Holy fuck, what? An oil change should take no more than 20 minutes at absolute max.

Why are there so many nu-males who constantly need to tell everybody how manly they are for changing their own oil?it's not exactly a grueling or difficult task

When you work at home 10 minute beer breaks every 5 minutes make your oil change so much better but take so much longer.

t. numale

we aren't bragging we're just laughing at you

I do everything from oil to engine rebuilds and swaps. I'm probably better than you.

What people weighed in 1960

>laughing
>gets incredibly defensive and needs to let everybody know at every turn how manly they are for doing a simple task
A nu male is the one who needs constant affirmation for performing the simplest of tasks

Not all techs are complete morons. Find a shop you trust that has actual certified techs employed and not oil monkeys. When you get an oil change in a real garage using a hoist, the tech does more than a drain and fill. We look at tires, filters, fluids, check the front end and brakes, test your battery, etc. Sometimes It's an upsell, but you dont have to buy it. Take their recommendations and do it yourself if you see fit.

Most of the time, if you're not a complete asshole, you can hang out and watch if you're so worried about about being ripped off.

Why do shop mechancucks always try and meme me about how I'll have to jack up my car to change the oil?

some filter housings are not disposalbe, they require you to reinstall the canister with a new filter element inside. they require additional o-rings that sometimes don't seal properly.

>open beer and sip
>under the car open drain and replace with a primed filter
>sip some more beer
>go under close the drain.
>go back up pour the oil in.
>sit around finish the beer.

I enjoy oil changes at home - super easy
Especially with race ramps