We all know the 'Jews built the pyramids' story is a meme

We all know the 'Jews built the pyramids' story is a meme.

Did serious scholars ever believe this was true, or was it always a misconception held by the uneducated?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eber
youtu.be/h_UmuEBmS5k
youtu.be/kS17dLuTPd0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't think it was ever believed in scholarly circles. I mean for fuck's sake, even the Bible doesn't claim it.

Millions of slaves for hundreds of years making bricks in Egypt.

What do you think were made with those bricks?

I honestly have no idea where it even came from, pyramids are mentioned in the Bible exactly ZERO times.

>Pyramids are in Egypt and Jews were in Egypt at one point so they must've built it xDDD

Pants on head stupid

Pyramids were built by wage laborers, not slaves.

The Hebrews didn't start out as slaves. They lived in Egypt for centuries unmolested.

Buildings?
Egyptians didn't like in mud huts

Explicitly making mudbrick, which is not what the pyramids are made out of.

Some are, some aren't.

>implying the pyramids are made of mud

>They lived in Egypt for centuries...

[citation needed]

Associated Press Writer CAIRO—Egypt displayed on Monday newly discovered tombs more than 4,000 years old and said they belonged to people who worked on the Great Pyramids of Giza, presenting the discovery as more evidence that slaves did not build the ancient monuments.

The series of modest nine-foot-deep shafts held a dozen skeletons of pyramid builders, perfectly preserved by dry desert sand along with jars that once contained beer and bread meant for the workers' afterlife.

Is this what you're basing your claim on?

Which pyramids specifically were made of mudbrick?

>a misconception held by the uneducated
Genesis directly states that the Hebrews were used as salves to build fortifications in multiple Egyptian cities

I'm basing it on the fact there's no evidence that the slaves built it.

This

You mean Exodus, not Genesis, and Exodus doens't say fortifications, rather

עָרֵי מִסְכְּנוֹת

literally "cities of storage"

Pyramids aren't mentioned in the bible.

Do you maybe mean the Middle Kingdom "pyramids" filled with debris? Those did have mud brick in addition to lots of other junk inside the limestone casing, but that would throw your chronology around quite a bit.

I hope you aren't taking gen/exodus seriously
We know for a fact that the bibles account of the Jewish enslavement and escape and all that were entirety made up

Not entirely. Some ancient sources identify Hebrews (not just "Jews", see pic, stop doing this shit) with the Hyksos and Moses with Osarseph.

Bricks are made of mud. And straw. And those millions of bricks were used for something.

Before the 18th century nothing was known about Ancient Egypt, people even though that it was Greeks who built the pyramids, of course I'm talking about the Christian world, not the ancient world.

Hyksos have little to do with Hebrews, Hyksos were Semitic people mixed perhaps with Hurrians or Cauasus people.

Pyramids are made of huge blocks of limestone, not of bricks

Is this where the 'pyramids were grain elevators' autism comes from?

Why? You don't believe the bible is a source of evidence.

Per the bible, Joseph's family moved to Egypt @ 1875 BC to avoid a regional famine, and stayed there in power, actually. Then a pharoah who did not know Joseph came to power, and slowly the Hebrews lost favor until they were enslaved in place. The exodus was around 1450 BC.

>pyramids are the only structures ever built in Egypt

So the absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

Even in the face of evidence.

Egyptian chronology doesn't seem to me to be an exact science.

And weirdly enough there is absolute no Egyptian record of the Hebrews ever living in Egypt and the first mention of Israelites comes from around 1000 AD.

>millions
the earth didn't have the population back then. let alone north africa and the middle east.

>bricks
pyramids are made from limestone blocks.

there were no jews in ancient egypt. There were some people from the Levant that tagged along during an invasion of egypt. Then they were enslaved and then left egypt for the Levant. The people that eventuallly became the jews, adopted the common history of the people in the area as their own special history.

1000 BC*

I hope some day you see the light.

>er the bible, Joseph's family moved to Egypt @ 1875 BC to avoid a regional famine, and stayed there in power, actually. Then a pharoah who did not know Joseph came to power, and slowly the Hebrews lost favor until they were enslaved in place.

There are no evidence of Hebrews being in Egypt in any of the Ancient Egyptian accounts before the iron age, that is, when the Hebrews actually started having an identity, before than the closest thing to Hebrews is the "Habiru" semitic nomads wandering around the Levant and Mesopotamia wrecking havoc and raiding cities, but they were never recorded as slaves or as living in Egypt as far as I know.

Walking in and taking over Egypt @ 1446 BC without a fight is pretty strong evidence that Egypt was decimated at that time.

Some are, some aren't. And just because the Hewbrews made bricks doesn't mean that they didn't also cut stone.

There is no evidence that slaves built it. So why do you think they built it in the first place?

What people seem to forget is that THE LEVANT WAS AN EGYPTIAN TERRITORY. So technically, if Israelites lived back then, they lived in Egypt.

No, that's modern. Joseph set up cities to store the grain during the good years, and then used that grain to purchase all of the land of all of the people, and all of the people, for the pharaoh.

Except of course the ipuwer papyrus.

Oh, and entire books of the bible.

There is no evidence that they were Hebrews, the name is etymologically not related in any way to "Hebrew".

Survey of the Hebrews leaving Egypt showed 600,000 fighting men.

So the 40 years of wandering the desert was from where to where?

Do you think people listen to fools who throw out the entire bible and then cry for evidence?

Do you think rational people think you're okay, mentally?

They lived in Goshen, which is south of where Israel is today.

Is this what they teach you in Bible school? Ipuwer papyrus doesn't mention the Hebrews at all.

>books of the bible

Not an Egyptian document.

They became Hebrews when they crossed the River Jordan, if you want to be tichy about it.

>Except the ipuwer papyrus

Which has nothing to do with the Hebrews and is dated BEFORE the Hebrews were even present in Egypt according to the Bible.

And the Bible is not a reliable historical source.

1446ish to 1406ish BC

Where in the bible does it say "Slaves built the pyramids" or "hebrews (who we also say were slaves) buitl the pyramids!"
nowhere you idiot.

No, just the plagues that the Egyptians just happened to suffer at the exact same time the Hebrews happened to be leaving.

Massive, supernatural events.

>If you want to be "itchy" about it

Are you serious?

Because I can't take you seriously, how does the name Hyksos denoting them change into Hebrew because of crossing a river.

Everything in your post is factually incorrect and unsupported by anything but your opinion.

kek

>massive, supernatural events

Such as?

Millions of people making bricks make millions of bricks.

>a document that doesn't mention the Hebrews even once is the evidence that Hebrews lived in Egypt

wew lad

My mistake, anyway the point still stands

Not the Hyskos; the "Hebrews" weren't the "Hebrews" until they crossed the River Jordan, as "Hebrew" means "crossed over".

The Hyskos waltzed into Egypt after God wrecked it. Completely different people.

Pyramids are not made of bricks. Israelites built fucking houses, not the pyramids.

>No, just the plagues that the Egyptians just happened to suffer at the exact same time the Hebrews happened to be leaving.

Not really, the only plague is the river of blood (which is blood for the corpses, not because of a Divine intervention) and the rest is completely different

>exactly at the same time

No, not at all.

The Hexodus was around 1200 bc according to the Bible last time I checked and the Ipuwer text was written down in the old kingdom around 1900 bc.

River is blood, everything is on fire, the animals are all dying, there is darkness over all the land, he who places his brother in the ground is everywhere, gold and precious gems are fastened onto slaves.

Actually the name of the Hebrews comes from Eber, one of the patrilineal ancestors of Abraham. So someone that lived a thousand years before Exodus if we are to believe Bible accounts.

What a retarded fuck.

>Everything you post is factually incorrect

Such as?

The Ipuwer admonition was first written down centuries before the presumed Exodus of the Hebrews, you're an ignorant and proud of your own ignorance.

It mentions all of the plagues enslaving the Hebrews brought upon Egypt.

Direct corroboration of the bible, which states quite definitively that the Hebrews were in Egypt.

a bunch of popular apocalyptic religious imagery from the time, your point?

Autists deleting posts. kek

Dated at the end of the Middle Kingdom.

Nope. Wrong again.

Do you enjoy being wrong?

>slaves

Exactly as the bible states happened.

You're obviously biased, not only the text refers to a period 500 before the supposed Exodus, which would be enough to invalidate your claim of it referring to the 10 plagues, but only one or two of the "plagues" appears out of 10, not really convincing and most importantly the Hebrews are mentioned 0 times.

Yes.

Slaves who were having all of their male children murdered.

Except that there is 0 proof of that, what a biased ignorant idiot, it's impossible to take someone like you seriously.

The Exodus was about 1446 BC, and the papyrus speaks of events that happened just prior to the Exodus.

That you think people can age things is on you, not me. There is no quality of "age", and no way to know how long time passed between the original and a copy.

It's in the bible, the Word of God.

The inerrant, authoritative Word of God Himself.

there's C14.
And what copy or original?

All of Exodus is a meme
>The historicity of the exodus continues to attract popular attention, but most histories of ancient Israel no longer consider information about it recoverable or even relevant to the story of Israel's emergence.The archeological evidence does not support the story told in the Book of Exodus and most archaeologists have therefore abandoned the investigation of Moses and the Exodus as "a fruitless pursuit".
>The archaeological data do not accord with what could be expected from the Bible's exodus story: there is no evidence that the Israelites ever lived in Ancient Egypt, the Sinai Peninsula shows almost no sign of any occupation at all for the entire 2nd millennium BCE, and even Kadesh-Barnea, where the Israelites are said to have spent 38 years, was uninhabited prior to the establishment of the Israelite monarchy.

I hope someday you learn history and the true meaning behind the bibles story you idiot

The bible tells the true story.

You reject it because you are a lost soul trying to be like God.

Go fuck yourself, retard.

The text is thought to have been composed in the 19-18th century bc

>River is blood

This is actually mentioned in Egyptian records more commonly than you'd think, since it's pretty common for flooding river to get red color thanks to silt or other sediment. I live close to a river that floods frequently and I've seen this blood coloring more than once.

Not him but

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eber

>In Jewish tradition, Eber, the great-grandson of Shem, refused to help with the building of the Tower of Babel, so his language was not confused when it was abandoned. He and his family alone retained the original human language, Hebrew, a language named after Eber (Heber), also called lingua humana in Latin.

the ignorance in this thread is appalling especially considering this is the Veeky Forumstory board
Educate yourself you fools
This is a Yale course on the bible
They cover most of the bible
Exodus Pt 1 youtu.be/h_UmuEBmS5k
Exodus Pt 2
youtu.be/kS17dLuTPd0
You especially could stand to learn something you idiot

No, it was found in the 19th century AD.

lrn2read

Yes, that's what dummies like you think. That the miracles in the bible are just normal happenings that the locals freaked out over.

Because you're just to much more evolved than they were.

Eber's name means crossing over. Eber descended from Shem, so is a semite. The other bit is myth. All men's languages were mixed at the tower.

>muh liberal scholars tear teh bible apart

>oh me oh my

Fuck off.

Hail Satan,

There might have been 50 million people on the entire planet during the time of Ramases II and Moses.

You believe that the hebrews in egypt were over a million strong?

Everything in the bible is true.

Is everything at Yale true?

lrn2rite2

Crossing over the Euphrates when Abraham left Ur, not crossing over Jordan.

Fuck off.

600,000 men who could fight were counted.

Add women and children and the elderly and you are probably close to 2,500,000.

Abraham was not a Hebrew.

The Hebrews were his great grandchildren.

But the Papyrus doesn't mention these things being miracles at all, only the Bible does.

I'm str8. Sry.

Holy shit.

I listed only what the papyrus said on it.