/emugen/ - Emulation General

Turtle Edition

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5oBeO-cui_c&index=3&list=PLeAmCLUGEMEwVtAadBfgF8ufAxHuNfflt
wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Ape_Escape_3
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Emulator_Files
shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1225987#p1225987
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bumping

I prefer to play games from the 8 bit and 16 bit era with scanlines in RetroArch to smooth out the blocky pixel-perfect graphics. Lately I've wanted to get a bit more nostalgic and emulate a CRT television as close as possible to the real thing on a 60" 1080p TV. The problem is, I haven't played a game from that era on a CRT since Donkey Kong Country came out, so I don't have a reference point. On top of that there are a whole lot of shaders in RetroArch to choose from, from dedicated CRT shaders to shaders giving the look of specific inputs like composite and s-video.

I've played around with CRT-Lottes and CRT-Geom, but I'd like to know of there are any other good shaders out there (or combination of shaders) to reproduce the CRT experience. Are there shaders outside of RetroArch that could be added? Please let me know which video settings you're using too, like integer mode.

>Is there a good RA alternative, or should I just stick to individual emulators?
I'd just use standalone emulators.

Standalone emulators are losers.

Libretro was here.

I like HatCat

This thread is in desperate need for a bump.

What will the retroarch team do with my money if I patreon at them?

Pay SP's rent.

How will this help me, the end user, in terms of my emulation experience?

You don't have to worry about SP necking himself because welfare payments aren't covering his lifestyle.

Certainly, this is a tempting offer. Thank you for the information, my friend.

What the fuck happened to CEMU? Why did performance regress in some games like Twilight Princess? It's flickery as hell.

Do you guys have a Discord group?

I think there is one. I am not in it and cannot provide you with a link.
Really I'm just keeping the bump train rolling.

My xbox 360 controller doesnt work with Dolphin.I can see buttons registering in controller config menu but in game they don't work.

In other emulators it works fine

Make sure you save and hit apply.
Make sure that controller options are set to "standard controller" in dolphin.

Here's what I use.

Aspect Ratio: 8:7
Integer Scale: ON
Bilinear Filtering: OFF
Video Filter: Blargg_NTSC_SNES_RGB
Shader: crt-royale-kurozumi

>playing games at wrong aspect ratio
fucking why

>Not playing at glorious 16:9

SNES had an internal aspect ratio of 8:7 though it output at 4:3.

I like my squares to be square and circles to be circles, so I use 8:7 even though it's not "faithful" to what you would've seen back in the day.

It's not universally true. Some games actually did account for the actual aspect.

Nice webm

Bumping with PGXP: youtube.com/watch?v=5oBeO-cui_c&index=3&list=PLeAmCLUGEMEwVtAadBfgF8ufAxHuNfflt

I'm emulating Ape Escape 3 and I get slowdowns on some parts (about 50-55fps in game).

I tried changing the resolution, the EE cyclerate, and other graphical configs and none of them seem to have any effect at all. Is it normal some slowdowns on PS2 games?, I'm supposing this game even lags on a real PS2.

wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Ape_Escape_3

Check the emulated speed is still 100% when you're getting slowdowns, I guess.

Yeah I checked that page to fix the FMV problems.
And no, Speed is around 92%, EE is 98-100%, GS is 35%.
My CPU usage on windows is around 45%

I'm using a gtx970/6600k.

Ah, must just not get fullspeed then. There's no real reason you shouldn't be maxing with that CPu. Have you tried disabling/enabling mtvu?

I get this. It runs at fullspeed now tho kek. Maybe because half shit is missing on screen I guess.

Restart the emulator with the settings the same and see if it works.

FFS, I don't know how I didn't try that before. It works now, no slowdown. EE80%.

Thanks m9

PCSX2 can be a bit of a tool to wrangle at times. I got super confused as to why Marvel Ultimate Alliance wouldn't start the other day until I turned off MVTU and then it suddenly started.
Another thing to try would be OGL vs DX11 if you're ever stuck. I find that OGL tends to be pretty good but I have to change to DX11 for Soul Calibur 3 or I get tons of slowdown.

Yeah, I checked the performance of both Dx11 and OG, and they both run the same for me, so I'm using OG because it has more "Hardware hacks" options

Yeah, you can get really shitty advice on it. And have to deal with Mooch's faggot-ass.

Not to mention it's just a glorified adjunct of the IRC channel anyway. Literally no one ever uses Dischord-specific features like voice chat.

Needs another bump.

So using Dolphin with CPU overclock to 200% and using Zelda Collector's Edition is the best way to play Majora's Mask?

I tried the latest build of GlideN64 and right off the bat you can see some graphical errors in the intro when the mask is spinning, it should have a sort of blur effect that's completely missing and replaced with gray dots, while the effect works in Dolphin.

01:39 < mooch2> except russia's basically a dictatorship
01:39 dude - the entire EU is a dictatorship
01:40 fact is - there is little to no 'freedom' in Europe to begin with
01:40 you don't even have freedom of speech
01:43 where the American military cannot reach - ISIS instead does the dirty work
01:43 I didn't hear this'
01:43 this is the fact
01:43 ISIS is in Syria to kill Assad
01:43 funded and propped up by the US
01:50 you cannot fight the Turkish or Russian army
01:50 they would eat you for breakfast

Just downloaded the PCSX2 emulator and it says it needs a legal copy of the PS2 BIOS but it shouldn't be from a friends PS2 or from the internet. Why is this? And is the PS2 unusable after a copy of the BIOS has been used for the emulator?

God damn it turtle. Distributing bios files is illegal, don't you know that?
That's why you certainly won't find any on this page: emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Emulator_Files

Holy shit.

I didn't remember how awesome this game was.

And how hard the cpu hit you in the face.

Not exactly sure what you're doing, my CPU is worse and I don't have speed issues.
Maybe you have blending unit accuracy set to high or something, you don't need it for that game so keep fastest or none.
Or maybe the skylake bug is back.

quoting out of context again

wat game is that?

He isn't even wrong out of context, what's the problem?

Well, apart from the Turkish or Russian army part.

Tobal 2

Opa Gangnam Style!

He's right though

>So using Dolphin with CPU overclock to 200% and using Zelda Collector's Edition is the best way to play Majora's Mask?
ye

>dat pokemon prism leak

o, also you should disable the dual core hack if your CPU is powerful enough because it can cause random crashes in that game

How the hell do i get turok to run

Just play the new PC port

Thanks for letting me know user. Just got it from /vp/

>all these people on /vp/ still using VisualBoyAdvance 1.8.0. Not even VBA-M.
>for GBC

Just kill me senpai

Where do I get 3ds roms?

shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1225987#p1225987

>One thing I noticed concerning the SMB sky swatch of blue colors, is the brighter ones emit a color that appears to be outside the range of digital displays. That 'neon blue' for example, glows with a vividness that no digital scale can seem to reach. Obviously you have to put the blue value at a full 255, but then when you try to raise the red and green, it washes the blue to a dull-looking bright blue instead of intensifying the blue color as it gets brighter. One great CRT example is the first stage of Ninja Gaiden. If you notice on CRTs the highlight color on the grey background graphics is actually the brightest 'neon blue' from the SMB swatch. You can even see the blue glow from that highlight color. This is downright impossible to reproduce on a digital display. If you try to mimic the brightness with say 225-225-255, it just looks light grey with no blue neon glow to it.

So I'm not the only one who noticed that

So, mednafen on retroarch doesn´t run ISO files or am I doing something wrong?

Define "ISO". And yes, it will try to run any fucking file you dare to point a CUE at, but don't expect it not to digitally flip you the bird if it doesn't like what it sees. This can be truer for some formats more than others, like CloneCD files.

Gotta say, the trailer did not impress me. Looks like just another shitty half-baked over-ambitious ROMhack.

ISO as a proper .iso file, but I guess I have to make a .cue for the .iso file then?

mednafen deals exclusively in CUE files for disc-based games. And that ISO may not play correctly even then, because I'm not sure the file structure can be made to handle mixed-mode type shit. You may only get the game and SoundFX with no music.

>mednafen deals exclusively in CUE files for disc-based games
No, it works with ccd and toc too.

Even Beetle? TOC I'll believe, but I was under the impression Beetle was forked before full CCD support in vanilla mednafen.

Yes. And beetle supports pbp too.