Dedicated actual Craigslist thread

This price is ridiculous. It's $5K cheaper than every other option. How likely is it to grenade (ultra spicy Dorito explosion?) within minutes of purchase? And it sounds like the clutch needs replacement don't you think?

cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5889938314.html

Other urls found in this thread:

columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5910836002.html
detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5890245985.html
sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/5923523468.html
milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/5892956344.html
chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5912927871.html
littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/5924964910.html
northmiss.craigslist.org/cto/5891004643.html
memphis.craigslist.org/cto/5910246091.html
wausau.craigslist.org/cto/5897413787.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For that price I would say its not that bad. A compression check is next to nothing to do.

Let me put it to you this way, where I live at least, I'm selling a wrecked 8 for 3k right now

>Craigslist
Alright can any of you tell me about how much you're seeing Type S RSXs sell for? I've heard they're supposed to be cheap, but they're all $8000+ on my CL

>A compression check is next to nothing to do
You're right, I'm worried about the clutch problem he mentioned though. Is it possible to hire a mechanic to come by and give the car a full diagnostic as well as a compression test? I'm guessing that might cost at least a few hundred dollars though.

you DO realize used car prices are greatly affected by your location, right?

I would buy it and do everything I could to blow the engine.

Mazda warrantied the motor in the RX8 for 100k miles, regardless of year of vehicle. You can take that 13 year old car and blow the engine in it. As long as it has less than 100k on it, mazda will replace it for free.

Are you fucking kidding me
good god if it's in good shape, I might just jump it.

That said, even if I have to replace the clutch/transmission, it still would cost less than every other available RX8...good god, I have to go for this.

Are you stupid? Its 100k or 8 years whichever comes first.
Going into buying a used car you should expect to spend a couple hundreds dollars on surprise repairs, if you need clutch work done be grateful that its just clutch work

as far as the compression test is concerned see if there are any local rotary groups or some shit, there's a guy in my area who sprung for an actual compression tester that the Mazda dealerships use and it cost him a couple grand iirc.

>The engine runs great
>It can be driven but does not feel quiet right. Needs some work.

I'd hope it was just the clutch, but I'd hire the mechanic like you were suggesting.

Wrong. It's 8 years or 100k miles, and it only applies to 04-08 models.

So at best, there's only a handful of 08s that have any remaining warranty (13 days at most).

>$8000
Sheeiit over here they are selling for 11-12 thousand. I blame the damn Filipinos.

The seller should allow you to take it to a mechanic. A hire can look but won't be able to diagnose.

Also bring a $40 odbii code reader

i got my 06 type s for $3800. 188k on the chassis, 100k on the motor (with paperwork from the shop that swapped it)
zero accidents

Talk me out of it guys. I would swap in a 340 most likely.

columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5910836002.html

>The seller should allow you to take it to a mechanic. A hire can look but won't be able to diagnose.
Alright, I've never done this before. Say I talked to the owner and asked to take it to a Rotary mechanic at the closest Mazda dealership (15 minutes away). If he says no I'm guessing it's a lemon and he knows it. If he says yes then I take it to get a full diagnostic - about how much should that cost?
How long does such things usually take?
Would I be expected to pay for the diagnostic, as I'm the one interested?

Any help would be appreciated.

You always should do this. Obviously only if you're interested so you're not wasting peoples time. And yes you'll be the one paying for the diag. Also dealers keep records per car so if it's been a one owner you can see if they've kept it up.

So are individual records from different dealers and shops added to some national database or something? (That's how VIN numbers work right?)

And I could eat the cost for the diagnositic, especially when I'm interested, but are such procedures usually expensive? Are we talking like >1k or

No. Only inspections(dates), accidents, and ownership changes are attached to VINs.

Inspections are cheap. You can call ahead and ask how much if you want to know. If the car was regularly maintained at the dealer they'll sometimes just do it for free.

Dude RX-8s are cheap as fuck rn, I think because they're terrible on fuel and the owners by and large aren't really rotary enthusiasts. In Scotland I can grab some semi-decent ones for 1500, mint ones are around 4k

The interior is probably trashed, notice how there is no pics of it

Found a '91 Skyline r32 gts-t for $6k. I wish I didn't have to pay rent.

Go for it anyway fag

You can curb your hunger with the iron badge of invincibility

Maybe in 3-4 years. Broke as a motherfucker as a student. I guess I can save a grand a semester. Got through some tight money problems just emptying my bank account. Will gladly hoon an r34

Ok.
Personal Question, at what point would you consider this RX8 not a worthy buy? Considering it's only 2.5k
>A. Needs new clutch
>B. Needs new clutch + engine rebuild
>C. Needs new clutch, transmission, engine rebuild
>D. Needs New Engine completely
>E. Both C and D

Might as well make this an open question actually

The part where you said RX8

in all honesty just buy a civic and save for an rx7.. all the rx8s ive driven were not very good. The one rx7 ive driven was an unreal shit eating grin making machine

Pretty standard response all things considered.

There is 2 for sale in my area, both under $4000. They appear to be in decent condition. Not sure if real or not

detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5890245985.html
Someone please buy this. I would if i had the money.
>5 SPEED MANUEL TRANS
>Relatively low miles for age
>2.4
>Wagon

sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/5923523468.html

I've never seen a manual 7-series in the states, before.

why aren't there cheap engine swap solutions on the aftermarket yet?

i'd fucking love to have an Rx-8 with a turbo 4 engine in it, something like

>engine that costs around $2000
>kit costs around $2000
>reuses RX-8 transmission
>minimal to no cutting required

C.

Anything other than A and you'll be putting more money into it than the car is actually worth no matter where the fuck you're at. Period.

Go for it, what could go wrong?

milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/5892956344.html
All you need right here

That's pretty much the automotive equivalent of cancer

found one of these montero sports. i used to own one theyre basic transportation af but they look good and literally nothing broke

chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5912927871.html

I like that mitsubishi sticker on the back door.

I talked to this guy.
He said I can't come by today to check it out, because he "JUST took it to the shop" and is about to put a new clutch in. It's definitely not going to be the same price he says, but he can sell it for that price if I come by TODAY and pick it up.

So yeah, this 10,000% a scam isn't it?

>believing Veeky Forums's memes of failing rotaries
Dude, if you are looking at a rotary and don't know what you are doing, then you should be taking the bus.

Ahahahahaha
Sorry, I wouldn't want to challenge your position as chief busrider supreme

>badge of invincibility
>GTS-T

oh what the fuck, those (in mint condition with ~100k miles) are only like $1250 here.
Get it if you need it, my m8's had a lot of electrical issues (but was only $600).

Should I buy a 05 mx5 for 5k?

>Reposting this.

Is this a CL thread? Because I just had a spur of the moment buy and I don't think it's humanly possible to regret it.

I got pic related for $100. It runs beautifully (considering it has been sitting months). Tags should be less than $300 (15 months expired). It survived the 90-mile drive home intact.

So far the biggest issue is the check engine light and very light white smoke. The seller called it a parts car out of fear, this thing is in very driveable condition. With a little TLC, I may have a new operations vehicle.

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on my purchase?

Compression testing in the morning, followed by a trip to the local mechanic for a free code read.

>>dat two tone
Turns out it is spraypaint. Along the """tint""" in the triangle windows and along the top of the rear window. I wouldn't have noticed for a long time if they had done the windows from the inside.

Image still required for proper judgment.

I plan to Rust-Oleum this car soon I am still not sure what color. Something that isn't too bright. (I'm black and don't like talking to police) I'm thinking black and keeping the black bottom half (obviously darker than the top half.)

Everyone should email/text him, and ask him if it's a Rousch.

littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/5924964910.html

>mom buys 2003 volkswagon passat from russian guy on craigslist for 3400
>transnission slips
wat do

My mom just bought an 2004 Audi A6 that's leaking oil.
Why do we let women do anything?

Let me guess, 4.2?

stop adverstising your shitbox

apparenty the transmission is cracked

replace clutch ?

Fuck no the 4.2 is solid, its the transmissions that fucking suck

Even more of a clusterfuck. 2.7 biturbo.
>tfw I know I'll be the one that gets stuck with working on it

is automatic

What do you think, boys?
northmiss.craigslist.org/cto/5891004643.html

Id consider it if it was 10x cheaper

Holy shit. You have no idea how long I've lusted after these things.
memphis.craigslist.org/cto/5910246091.html

holy shit those amg monoblocks are soo sweet.
Are these rare in NA? If they are that would explain the price.

Yeah, there wasn't many imported. I'm thinking like 1,500 or so.

Shit I was way off.
Only 383 imported in '01.

Holy shit. I live in AR too. I need a decent car for around 10k, help me bro

Looking at this 1985 Acadian (chevette) with 85 000 Kms. Asking is $1 100. I love these old shitboxes but is it worth it to buy? I heard they were unreliable.

I don't live in fucking Arkansas.
Eww.

Then why the hell are you searching my craigslist you nigger?

Nearby areas you autist.

This fucking post gave me nightmares last night. Dreamt my engine blew is seals in an explosion of stream.. took me a bit of struggling to realise I was in a dream.
My dear of losing my car put me in a lucid nightmare about losing my car. How bout that.

make it into this BR chevette trucc

Rotaries bro
They mess with you bro

I want this thing so bad, but it's over priced.

>love KE70s
>never see them for sale around here
>this one seems to be in pretty mint condition
>is manual
>dat woody exterior
>dat blue cloth interior

Please talk me out of offering him my DRZ for it.

DRZ for that? yes.

wausau.craigslist.org/cto/5897413787.html
Besides the paint and broken clutch its pretty much perfect, should I do it Veeky Forums?

Maybe nobody else in this thread thinks so, but that's pretty fuckin awesome if you got a full-running Tercel for $100 + tags. Not many people can say they got a fully-functinioning DD for $100.

>Connecticut

Hello fellow CT user, how much is he asking for it? anyway you should totally offer your DRZ for it.

I'm from MA, but the guy wants $5,000. My DRZ is up for sale right now for a similar price.

Why do stupid fucks that don't know shit about caring for a rotary buy these? Because it's "cute?" Fucking idiots.