Do you skip gears in manuel Veeky Forums?

Do you skip gears in manuel Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zZBqb0ZJSwU
amazon.com/Corvette-Stingray-Skip-Shift-Eliminator/dp/B00IKQRCUC
youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

All the time

going down yea sometimes. going up almost never unless I just went WOT getting on the highway and now need to cruise in 6th.

THIS

I go 3rd to 5th pretty often if I'm hitting the speed limit in 3rd anyway

I need to do highway pulls on 3rd to go from 40 to 90 fast enough because lol european highways
so I just skip 4 since I'm already at my target speed

>60mph first gear
I go 1st to 7th all the time.

I'd pop a 2nd to 4th in my truck in 40 zones.

Yes, all the fucking time, depending on how the car is geared.

>crushing togue, hard downshifts
>Reached goal speed already, just fucking put it into sixth

Why would you not skip gears?

some says it wears syncros more than sequential shifting

For accelerating? Not really, not enough power for that

I think it's more like opposite. with less power you need higher revs for quicker acceleration and when you have your desired speed it's pointless to go through gears, just straight into right gear for current speed. I'm talking about gasolne, don't think it would work with diesel same way.

I'll do 5->3 several times a day to pass. 3rd is good up to about 85 in my car

Sometimes. I can pretty much just gas it in second to get all the way up to 40, which is 5th territory, so if I'm accelerating away from lights with a VERY short time and merging traffic just after but can't go more than 40, I'll skip a bunch.
If I'm decelerating to lights that just changed, I'll just skip from 5th to second and keep the clutch in until I'm stopped, then double-clutch into first while coasting up to the line.

Only really need to go through the gears in sequence if you're accelerating up to speed in a hurry or engine-braking down from speed.

Occasionally, but not frequently. Mostly for up and mostly for 2nd to 4th. Rarely for downshifts, not never.

big differences in revs between the gears is what wears out the synchros, like redlining 2nd and then goin straight into 5th

Well it's a good fucking thing you have all day between 2nd and 5th to double declutch while you let the revs fall. Unless, you know, you WANT to toast your flywheel by dumping the clutch at 7000 when 5th spins at 2700

Jesus.

tell me if im wrong but i would say that staying in low gear for as long as possible will give you best acceleration. ofc if you want your top speed then you upshift at redline through all gears but i think its not the case here

>60mph 1st
>7 gears

What the fuck are you driving m8?

a corvette probably

All the time. Usually

>1 - 3
>2 - 4
>3 - 6

>6 - 4
>6 - 3
>5 - 3

>tell me if im wrong but i would say that staying in low gear for as long as possible will give you best acceleration
You're wrong.

There is such a thing as a power band. You need to keep the engine revs in that band. Accelerating hard from a standstill means you're going from first to second pretty much as soon as you're moving, then up to third at about 20-25MPH. Fourth comes in at 40, and then change into 5th once you hit 50. If you get too high up the rev range, you lose power again because you're just burning fuel and running the engine harder for no increase in power. The gears keep it in the 3-4k power band.
Also, if you're pushing too hard in too low a gear, a gear change can actually slow you down significantly due to the jerk when you lift off or shove the clutch in.

My daily commute tends to need that at one point. I'm a little low on torque for the weight, but have to accelerate around a corner and uphill, and get to about 70 by the time I get to the next roundabout in half a mile or so.

and you say that you will accelerate faster this way than going to redline at every gear?

You accelerate fastest at the torque peak, not the power peak

>change into 5th once you hit 50
>this is the fastest way to accelerate
I'd like to see your 0-60 times mate.

That's not how it works. You're basing everything at peak torque at the flywheel and completely forgetting the gearing and the fact that torque at the wheels is what determines how fast you accelerate.

Let's assume you have a car with a 7k redline. The torque curve that peaks at 4250 rpm and drops in a fairly linear fashion to two thirds of its peak value at redline. Lastly, the ratios of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are 3.167, 1.308 respectively.

Because there is a 42% difference in ratio between 1st and 2nd, 2nd gear will produce 42% less torque at the wheels at a given rpm than 1st gear. Because the difference between torque at its peak around 4250 and at the 7000 redline is no greater than 33%, 1st gear will give greater torque at the wheels right up until you hit the redline. Meanwhile, the difference between 2nd and 3rd gear is only 29%, therefore you would be better shifting slightly below the redline.

Obviously gear ratios, power curves and whatnot vary enormously by car, engine type, engine size, N/A vs. forced induction, etc etc etc, so the best point at which to shift depends entirely on your particular car, but as a general rule, a higher rpm and a lower gear provides more torque than a higher gear at peak torque, unless your car's torque hits its peak and then jumps off a cliff when it passes the midrange.

2nd to 4th sometimes

And without fucking up the engine or pissing all my fuel away, to boot!

And yet, experimentation has shown that IS how it works.

Fucking absurd. 1.6 is not enough litres for my car.

mind to share those experiments with us?

You want to know how I can tell you drive an old shitty golf? Fuck off with your underpowered low end torque engine.

>And yet, experimentation has shown that IS how it works.
Because someone designed your gearbox and engine to work that way.

Aaand you're wrong.

So, why am I wrong for using the engine and gearbox how they were designed?
That's why I bought the car I did. The person who designed it drives like I do, under similar conditions.

heres a shitty youtube video for your dumb ass
youtube.com/watch?v=zZBqb0ZJSwU

>tfw so much power and such tall gears can only go wot thru first

I go 1-6 all the time

Manuel is my gardener

>mfw I drive a subaru and can always start from second gear

Hell no unlike all these other faggots fucking up their transmissions I enjoy rowing through the gears because it's fun as fuck

does he skip gears?

>mfw I drive a Honda Insight and can barely start from 1st gear.

my god. the struggle

me 2 brother except when i do that all the fucking plastic radles like mad

why r u luggin bruh

Then why are you acting like everyone should shift at 4000 you MASSIVE retard? There are plenty of cars that make more power well into redline, and they're not econoboxes like yours. Your car was designed to be "peppy" so women would think it's sort of a sports car, and you fell for it. Is it a Miata or some pos euro box? Tell us what car you're talking about so we can laugh at you for being smug about your shit engine

>mfw test drove aveo
>started in 3rd gear

pure laziness sometimes

Yeah. Why the fuck not?

The lawnmower doesn't have gears.

i can do that in my hyundai cuck wagon bro it's no big feat

I can't skip gears in my motorcycle.

Ford ranger is too gutless to even try to skip a gear.

Foxbody? Just bought it, but I have a feeling I may skip gears like this guy.

It does.

>I can't skip gears in my motorcycle.
WAT are you high dude.

>cop roll sup behind you on the bike doing 80 in a 60
>Kick down two
>Fucking gone he ain't catching you unless you crash

So wrong that you must be trolling. Pretty good troll though... good job.

Didn't do so well in physics huh? That torque is transmitted through a gearbox which multiplies the torque to the wheels. Shifting to stay as close as possible to peak power is fastest. Or maybe you are right and basic 9th grade physics is wrong.

YES

Seriously good bait. Every person trying to go fast, every automatic transmission, every race team... they must all be wrong. You are right and the whole world (and physics) is wrong.

Ha!

>skipping gears fucks up your transmission
Are you brain damaged?

true but you could just row through the gears clutch in if you are that worried about your syncros. I was under the assumption you just did a pull in 2nd and are now at the speed and rev range for higher than 3rd.

Put in gear appropriate for speed and revs?

good luck with skipping gears on a sequential

I have gone 6th to 4th on the highway many times. fuck man when im going to a stoplight i go from whatever its in all the way down to 2nd sometimes.

>Clutch in
>kick down one
>keep holing clutch in
>Kick down again
>am now in 4th and not 6th

there something I'm missing? am i being trolled? legitimately confused

NVM Im am an idiot. I guess it is technically in 5th on the first kick down

you're still going through the gears

skipping gears is like this
4-2

what you're doing is
4-3-2 and then clutch out

Is it bad to redline in first though? Seems like higher gears are better able to handle higher revs

how so?

from a strength perspective yes lower gears are harder on the drive train due to the increased torque. but that's unrelated to what you guys are talking about.

Goddamn that pic is comfy AF famalamigi senpai SMU desu

Who /comfy/ here?

Someone post that one S E I N W A V E webm

pretty much every day.
>dat 100hp life

in stop-and-go traffic where actual speed or acceleration don't matter ill do 2-4-5 and idle forward.
Idle in 5th is about 16mph ac off / 18 ac on.

if its below freezing my car does not like being in 2/4th that much so until the trans gets warm 1-3-5 works well.

Acceleration in my car pretty much mandates skipping 1/2 gears down to get any power. Its all mid range, but the AC kick down switch does not do anything till 4K.

If you are on the highway, just forget about accelerating to pass. at 75MPH you are at 4k RPM and past your peak torque.

It's not peppy, it's fucking fat and underpowered. It's designed to be economical and reliable and comfy. There's a reason the back seats are almost nonexistent to make room for boot space and front legroom.

Yes, you are supposed to on upshifts but not downshifts.

Sometimes after a long straight with a sharp corner after it I would come closer to the corner than I would have in 3rd, brake harder and downshift into from 4th-2nd. The engine braking does magic in a light car. Then I would be in the right gear from more corners that would be coming up after.

1st to 4th all the time

Vettes lock you out of 2nd and 3rd if you're too high in first.

>Vettes lock you out of 2nd and 3rd if you're too high in first

are you serious?

Yeah, there's a dash light that comes on that says " 1 -> 4 ", first gear is very tall. That's how they get so much mpgs.

is that the "skipshift" or whatever? and how can you disable it?

can you disable it? i get it if you put it in an eco mode and it locked out certain gears for ultimate empeegee, but otherwise seems pretty cuck-ish

>can you disable it?
Yes. They even sell a plug that goes in the wiring harness to completely disable it.

amazon.com/Corvette-Stingray-Skip-Shift-Eliminator/dp/B00IKQRCUC

oh well thats cool. do you have said vette?

that sounds like a wonderful way to rest in pieces your 4th gear synchro

surely if the manufacturer designed it to lock-out gears the synchros will be fine. right? i know it's gm and all

Hawkeye photoshop?

1-2-4 in the city and 1-2-3-5 on the highway.

My car makes me.

un cuck your car and take out the solenoid

wat

3rd grinds so I go 2-4 unless I fucking drop kick uppercut choke slam it into 3rd.

Well it is still technically going through the gears, just with the clutch in.

Yes. Free if you can solder. $10 for a plug in fix.
You're fucking dumb. Every T56+ 6speed GM put in, even the fucking 7 speed in the Stingray, uses fucking skipshift.

It's called tight gear ratios, look it up.

Just second actually, slides you over to fourth. You can box shift 1st>3rd and bypass it.

>two turbos
Nice.

Pretty much never. I always sequential. Going 1->6 is just too fun

cant tell if shitposting or not.

>Every T56+ 6speed GM put in
Nope, mine doesn't

I don't think they're turbos mate

WHAT DO YOU DRIVE, user?

manuel

youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8