Hello Veeky Forums

Hello Veeky Forums,

Veeky Forums here. We all know the future is heading in the direction towards self-driving vehicles and it's likely to happen in the next 10 - 15 years. Eventually human operated vehicles will be prohibited from use on public roads. It will become a ethical imperative to do so. With that being said, how much would you be willing to pay for a track membership so you can drive? Don't factor in inflation - use today's dollars.

Thanks

You trying to make a bizness out of this huh?

send me coupons and Ill let you know

Self driving cars will only last until one kills an innocent kid. Then there will be so many regulations on them they will become impractical.

Sauce on the track is Monticello Motor Club, by the way.

They won't, unless the kid runs out in front of the car, in which case the A.I will have a better chance of reacting in time than a human would.

Making roads across the united states consistent enough that a computer can drive on them flawlessly would be prohibitively expensive.

What's going to happen is that "driverless" cars will get HOV privileges or in certain high traffic areas they'll put in a driverless lane.

That's your next 10-15 years, optimistically.

What if the kid is guilty?

My question is, when will manufacturers have programming competitions to see whose car can get around a track fastest autonomously?

oh yeah because humans never drive over each other! ban those death machines!

idiot, it's only a matter of who is at fault and who is paying the damages

It's easy to blame humans, how do you blame AI though?

you don't because it wouldn't get in an accident in the first place

surely a self-driving car will have a built-in dashcam by nature

Anyone who gets hurt by one will most certainly be at fault as long as the car reacted faster than a human would. The only problems I see is with the maintenance of the car. Will a self-driving car still run despite the brakes or anything else being inadequate? Will it be the fault of the system for failing to detect that or the owner's?

I believe its called a gtr

The owner's insurance company would be responsible.

>Making roads across the united states consistent enough that a computer can drive on them flawlessly would be prohibitively expensive.

Please elaborate. I don't think you understand the technology or how algorithms work.

Get the fuck out of here, Wall Street trash

Except for when the google car drove into the side of a bus because it didn't see it.

I'd just ride a motorcycle and call it "a reasonable lack of risk to the safety and property of others"

Sadly, any government that would ban driving would install an automatic speed limiter on any human driven vehicle so you could not exceed the speed limit, period. Not even to pass. Not even when there's no one around. The roads would be public transport. You get on, sit back, and arrive at your destination at the scheduled time.

Why not take a fucking taxi?

car enthusiasts are poor so i doubt it will be very much

cars are one of the most expensive mainstream hobbies out there

>Eventually human operated vehicles will be prohibited from use on public roads. It will become a ethical imperative to do so

that is why car enthusiasts are poor

>it's likely to happen in the next 10 - 15 years.

Maybe new car sales, but self driving cars won't be the only thing allowed on the road for quite a while. The average car in the states is already 11.5 years old, so even if self driving cars were the only thing available by law by 2030, it'd still be 2040 or later before the majority of the cars on the road were self driving.

Considering that used car sales are more than double that of new cars, I have to doubt anyone would have much luck banning non self driving cars before they aged out of the market. Too much money in it to just shut it down right off.

You'd also probably end up with riots in the streets if you suddenly told 42 million+ people that they now can't drive the car they just bought.

As to the actual question, there are already track days and events that people can go to. They generally cost multiple hundreds of dollars to attend, which is already too expensive for the average enthusiast.

The real problem wouldn't be the cost of the track time anyway, it'd be the transport to the track. How are you going to transport your non-street legal car to an event, short of buying a dedicated self driving truck/trailer to haul it? At that point, you've priced out 95% of the market anyway.

Just do what people are already doing, with rentals of exotics for track driving, but with slow shitboxes. Have someone pay $50 for the novelty of driving a Civic around a track. Or hold "competitions" to see who can still parallel park and/or do a 3 point turn without smashing things.

Essentially, just build a large scale go-kart track and buy a fleet of Civics for people to drive around. The only issue would be locating it close to a population center so you have an actual customer base, though this could be resolved by just repurposing an old parking garage instead of building an actual track.

>The real problem wouldn't be the cost of the track time anyway, it'd be the transport to the track. How are you going to transport your non-street legal car to an event, short of buying a dedicated self driving truck/trailer to haul it? At that point, you've priced out 95% of the market anyway.

You'd be able to store them at the track. There would be garages near by, if you didn't have a self-driving vehicle capable of towing it

when Carl the cuck becomes president.

I love it when clueless retards try to educate people on what the future will look like. If you listened to the same people 15 years ago they would have told that everyone would be driving hybrids in 2016.

>likely to happen in the next 10 - 15 years
lmao yeah ok dude

the price for track days and race entries will plummet with the increased attendance. oil will plummet.

it will be the new glory days for racing

Cost of storage.
Land the storage takes up.
Insurance on all of that.

They werent far off tho, alot of hybrids out there

I'm sorry, is this a touchy subject for you? It's going to happen, and probably a lot sooner than you will like.

Roughly the price of my insurance provided I don't need insurance for my road vehicle because it never crashes. But the Jews will find a way to collect insurance for self-driving cars anyway. So nothing.

I don't want to believe that some ''people'' out there would trade their own individual freedom just so that they can get to their job easier.

You're fucking dumb. Stop posting.
You can store cars at tracks now for like $100 a month.
Imagine the cost when there's an actual market for it.

Still would be way too expensive for 99% of people to do.

I mean really, you're looking at

>buy antique car that you can't drive
>pay to have it transported to on-site track storage some unknown distance away
>pay $300+/month storage fee to be located at track
>spend infinite amounts of time driving to and from track to do maintenance/repairs on car
>pay even more money for track days every now and then

You're essentially trying to get the average enthusiast to dump legit race car team money on a hobby. It's not going to happen. You'll have maybe half a dozen customers total and the whole thing will implode within a year due to lack of revenue.

If you actually want to make money off of this, buy an old parking garage and turn it into a low speed autox style track with "challenges" where people can compete against their friends. With self-driving cars, AI Uber and 90% efficient car sharing, ownership will plummet, parking spaces will be deserted, and investors will be looking to get out of parking management about as quickly as they possibly can.

With the parking garage and fleet of Civics method, you're taking a tried and true money maker (indoor go-kart tracks) and just scaling it up for actual cars. Keep the entry fee reasonable and the location within city limits and you'll have a guaranteed profitable business.

Offering trackside storage for antique cars at a race track 3 hours away from the nearest metropolitan area, where the owners can pay $300 to drive their outdated vehicles for a grand total of 60 minutes of a 12 hour day is pretty much a guaranteed flop. Existing track owners will still do track rentals for auto clubs, the only difference is that fewer people will show up.

Yea fuck that i will ride my illegal unlimited motorcycle. Fuck that man ill pay the fines if I get caught or just run.

This mans logic is sound to me and i agree with him.

Mid Night Club: dystopic future edition

Will AI cars really be able to catch up?

>Believing automated vehicles will be common in 10-15 years.
Go ahead and buy a race track and continue predicting the future. When you're done, let me know. I have a new invention that allows cars to travel using nothing but water.

>10-15 years
HAHAHAHAHA
Self driving cars haven't even begun to tackle rain or snow. As a taxi service in cities maybe but forget the rest of the world.

try your self driving car in ghetto ass detroit after a sever snow storm when fuckface runs into the street to get his ball

what company would ever consider taking on such a risk

I'd like to see a driverless cars navigate the mountain and rutted dirt roads where I live without getting stuck.

As a previous user stated earlier they'll be limited to areas where they can drive on reasonably safe and well paved roads.