/gsg/ - Grand Strategy General

We don't have an official steam or discord group. If anyone posts in the thread about any "official" or not steam or discord groups, promising MP or not, be sure it's a shitposter group known for organizing raids and shitposting in the thread. They are known for false-flagging.
Report and ignore it.

How fares your empire, /gsg/?

This day in history, December 21th:
69 – The Roman Senate declares Vespasian emperor of Rome, the last in the Year of the Four Emperors.
1237 – The city of Ryazan is sacked by the Mongol army of Batu Khan.
1361 – The Battle of Linuesa is fought in the context of the Spanish Reconquista between the forces of the Emirate of Granada and the combined army of the Kingdom of Castile and of Jaén resulting in a Castilian victory.
1941 – World War II: A formal treaty of alliance between Thailand and Japan is signed in the presence of the Emerald Buddha in Wat Phra Kaew, Thailand.
>News
CK2 DD35: Who ordered these monks?
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dd-35-who-ordered-these-monks.989846/

EU4 - 13/12
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-13th-of-december-2016.988299/

>Random Country Picker
randomcountry.gbasood.net/

# Archive (mods only)
mega.nz/#F!plMxFYTB!sn9MTrvJ0tYjWSHgM8CZow

#Where to get these games
hastebin.com/raw/moqugasume

# Mods
>> READ THIS FIRST.
pastebin.com/cCdcev76

>>[HoI4] - More Music Mod
mega.nz/#F!v5wXURpJ!TvoBinBVQWJbaYJsluyoFA

>>[HoI4] - Après Moi, Le Déluge
moddb.com/mods/apres-moi-le-deluge

>>[CK2] - user Music Mod
mega.nz/#!TVA2RByJ!tuh0k4SR5gXPLtmxsMd4KZ0at9gY5s5_oV70ui8A4B0

>>[CK2] - After The End
github.com/notalbanian/postapoc

>>[V2] - Historical Project Mod 0.3.6.1 - 27/11/2016
pastebin.com/66gpxbKk

>>[V2] - Napoleon's Legacy v0.3.1.7
pastebin.com/sN1g69sr

>>[V2] Alternative Flag Pack V9
pastebin.com/PRQH8vcV

Old Thread

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

You really are autistic, aren't you? 11 seconds after the thread was made.

BASED

kys

Fucking Castile colonizing islands on my turf, but they're allied with the Ottoman Empire and France so I can't bully them away from them.
You'd think it'd be easier to take isolated islands in a war versus taking provinces located in a nation's heartland.

I'm sure you can take it. But can you hold it?

>malayan malaya

Castles or cities in a large realm? adopted Feudal, reformed pagan here asking

Is it better to hold lots of counties or focus on holding the capital castles(baronies) personally to increase levy size?

I'm at a point where I wanna focus on making holdings, just not sure what to make and whether to hold them personally, but then I'll be missing out on the baron level vassals. But then there's the vassal limit that you gotta worry about...

I'm gonna play Kaiserreich for HOI4,wish me luck.

I wish you a slow and painful death.

>Malayan Malaya

I started as Sulu and initially just held the Philippines, maybe that's why.

Lots of cities on the coast, elsewhere balanced

Edgy

Ottomans have 0 ways to reach you and would be almost irrelevant in that war.
France might be able but czech their transports. if they have less than 40 they are also a non factor.

Waiting out for ticking warscore and beating a few stacks as they come is easy.

Is Random New World worth turning on or nah?

90% of the time it's shit

Any tips and tricks on playing an Indonesian nation? Was looking at Ternate in particular, they seem to have a good starting point and good ruler.

No, they're all retarded. The fantasy nations are a cool idea, but the random world tiles are all shitty as fuck.

Yeah I saw all these cool screenshots online, but in my own game I was immediately just alt-f4.

There's a workshop mod that changes the whole world to be like that, though, and it might be neat.

More castles at your capital if you own 5 castles 1 church and 1 city in your capitral you will get around 3-4 k troops just from your capital. Also use a province that on the silk road to make capital dosh. Pic related.

Rush yourself a colonist. 95% of territory in that region is uncolonized, so if you're a one-province shitter you need to expand the slow way at first. Ally the biggest, friendliest neighbor.
As Sulu, I was allied with Brunei for ~200 years before stabbing them in the back for Borneo/Kalimantan. Now they're my vassal, colonizing eastern Australia for me.

Also, Ternate? Annex Tidore ASAP for that sweet Spice Islands income.

The Russian MG position makes running down the road to get into position a rather risky thing to do as the Germans. Instead they decide to head north behind the cover of some woods and buildings to cover the exit from there while slowing inching eastward to make sure the Russians can not sneak to the exit behind cover.

Are these good borders for a German Pacific? Pretty much exactly OTL.

Actually pic more related. As you can see every castle on your capital gets the capital country bonus.

thats cool, but then all of my demesne limit will be going towards those baronies i hold in my capital, which could all be counties i can hold.

and if you have a really large realm, most of your troop count will be vassals anyway so your personal troop count doesnt matter much.

idk it seems like if you have a lot of vassal limit, then it makes more sense long term to hold counties and make city holdings (since they will be vassal controlled) rather than taking up 4-6 demesne limit to control simple baronies for a somewhat larger troop count.
my realm is not on the silk road so that isnt a factor atm. im just trying to find the optimal balance of troop/tax along with demesne/vassal limit

Bonus older screenshot because it's still kind of funny to me.

Well yes your demesne limit would go towards their baronies but having high troop count keeps your vassals in control so they don't get uppity and with high levies you really don't need retinues which is usually the biggest money sink. If your castles are actually on a trade route you can make mad dosh from all the castles.

Is there a more aesthetic border for Germany than at the Vistula? Is there?!

>Is there?

The Dnieper.

With nothing to fire on the Russians do some crazy Ivan shit and simply runn over the open ground en masse.

Their MG positions itself in a more favourabe position in the woods.

Then they send a squad north west around the woods to go on a, what looks to be, full frontal assault.

Retinues are objectively stronger than Levies though. This is why I always go for a coastal capital with loads of Cities, infinite money not only lets you hire retinues, but it also lets you upgrade holdings faster or hire mercenaries when needed.

Who should I be and what should my goals be for the Großest nation?

What makes the retinues stronger? Do they regenerate faster?

Host mp lad, ill join

>grandiquor memers unironically like hoi4
pottery

Großchadiums

They regenerate, period. With levies you have to dismiss and re-raise.
On top of that, you have more control over Retinue composition. This means you can ensure more optimal firing of tactics, which wins battles. You can also avoid using shitty units like Light Infantry.
On top of that, every Culture has a Cultural Building that boosts one unit type in particular. Retinues let you build that unit en masse if desired. A full stack of Norse Zunist Heavy Infantry running around and regenerating is pretty scary.

Nah, this is my first run of the game. If someone else hosts it, I'll join, but I don't want to be a fuck-up.

Dont worry just host

they are better in several ways:

>they have bonuses over regular troops of the same type as levies
>you can influence what tactics trigger in combat (this is a big advantage because certain tactics are so strong that they can beat literally armies twice as big)
>certain cultural retinues are even better than generic ones which further increase the first two points
>and lastly, the fact that they're readily available

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you can just park a Retinue on the enemy's border and declare war. No need to declare before raising levies and then waiting until they're amassed, just waltz right in and sit on their capital.

>want to play a comfy britain game
>too powerful

Fine, fine. Do I need to open any ports up to host?

It is me or does everyone one of the Paradox games in the OP pic look like same game 20 times over?

>all those fucking green icons on the province view

5555-5557 TCP & UDP

I'm a retard who's never opened up a port before, how do I go about it?

Yeah but you keep buying them so I guess it works.

>infinite money lets you hire retinues

but you are still bound by the retinue cap, which can be increased with castle holdings upgrades, money for retinues isn't that big of a deal usually.

command prompt
ipconfig
put default gateway in browser
login
go to port forwarding options
port forward

done

Son, I haven't bought any Paradox "grand strategy" games since For the Glory.

r8 my europe

German HMG and MMG open fire on the crossing Russians. they break 4 squads and eliminate a 5th, however 5 squads and a leader managed to cross unscathed. The Russian leader to the south however has bound forward too far, his broken troops need him to rally them, but at this rate that is not going to happen.

When did /gsg/ stop being good?

Like I said, you can spend that money on more than just retinues. Castles are only really good for one thing, conversely.

Granted, I might be biased from playing a shitload of Merchant Republics.

The release of CK2

"stop" implies it was ever good.

>he actually converted into Vicky 2

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

I'm always debating on which strategy to go for

Hold a single duchy with 5 castles in a single province abusing the %levy multipliers
OR
Hold as many counties as I can with single castle each maximizing my city vassals.

I personally believe the later is stronger strategy but I like to mix things up depending on what kind of nation I am roleplaying.

Other than the grobjerusalem, not too bad for a converted save

I do the latter most of the time. Coastal cities are crazy shit.

VICKY 2 MP WHEN

Jerusalem faggots are the worst. Catholicism is for illiterate untermensch. Protestantism and neo-Paganism are the only acceptable choices.

k lads how should i do it, nembutal or by helium?

>Jerusalem faggots are the worst. Catholicism is for illiterate untermensch. Protestantism and neo-Paganism are the only acceptable choices.

Why are they fucking waiting til Christmas to release 1.8.

?

t. paddy di barbossa

Protestantism is just watered down Catholicism without all the cool traditions.

A goodie, a fellow hexbased wargamer, I was starting to think i was on my own and merely shitposting 0 interest games (I still reckon this is the case)

Pic:
Russian broken units retreat into the surrounding woods. One however is eliminated has he can not retreat out the line of sight of the Germans.

The southern Russian leader takes a step back to link up with the squads that survived the crossing. The leadr that was directing the MMG in the woods has decided to step back and rally his retreating troops. A second attempt to cross the street with even more units seems likely.

>christians shouldn't own the holy land
t. rabbi moishe

Another one go out, lads. Help get him back home to !

What nation and in what /gsg/ would he play?

I've been following your posts with interest. Never played the game, but I did play a lost of Close Combat back in the day. That isn't a hex-based game though.

War in the Pacific is like crack (especially in PBEM form) and I can't get away from it.

I'm following lad it's pretty interesting

wanna get into eu4 or hoi as a long time ck 2 player, but just never did because i didnt wanna go through the whole learning curve again. can somebody redpill me on this?

Ottoman empire, but he'd probably be an EU4 shitter because his subhuman brain can't comprehend the intricacies and depth of Vicky 2.

you fucking done yet laddo?

You are shitposting since small scale warfare isn't the purpose of this general, just remake the wargames general.

>eu4
>learning curve

>going against steamcordplaza in occupied /gsg/
You're a braver man than I am.

now r8 my asia

indus dei was a recently established client state by me as a jerusalem in eu4. only has 1.8% french people as their primary citizens with 58+million poopeople under them. all bengalese are considered subhumans according to the convert which accounts for about 1/4th of poo in loo land. all of them are fleeing to the templars in persia or their poo brothers in australia

Fuck off with your shit paradox games. They have no strategy.

Please tell me you're going to edit the fuck out of the save to make the borders better and give actual flags and not just start playing

your game is about tactics retard not strategy

Whatever your opinion is, it's the de facto general for those paradox games, not for wargames. Just make a new general and stop coming here instead of trying to kick out everyone here. Also see

Decided to do something else instead. If someone else hosts, though, I'm in.

fuck it I'll host ree

Superpower 2 MP
name:/gsg/
pw:1

I love that series, I should really get war in the east next. I am a sucker for (hexbased) wargames in general.

Pic:
German HMG uses the opportunity presented by the Russian MG not being directed by a leader to bolt down the street and take up position in anticipation of the coming Russians.

The northern German squad moves in to cut of the assaulting Russians, 2 Russian squads will occupy nearly a third of the German forces. Ignoring them completely will likely cause them to be an even bigger headache.

>he'd probably be an EU4 shitter because his subhuman brain can't comprehend the intricacies and depth of Vicky 2.

get the fuck out this isn't on topic for this general

go make a tactics game general or something this isn't for you

>trying to create account
>stuck on "Creating..."
>probably dead

What do?

Nah, there's some serious problems with this save like Russia having russian culture be "noculture" so half of its population just doesn't get counted. Genoa has random provinces in Germany. Ming is civilized with 300 million people along with 90% of asia.

EU4->Vic2 fag has been taking his sweet time updating to a 1.19 converter version, but just wanted to see what my jerusalem save would look like in vic 2.

as for flags, I have no idea how to make them and the only flags I really need to edit are for a christian indian crusader megastate that has relative autonomy from Jerusalem.

also cultures map of europe.

>tfw no atheism religion in HPM

See

>Großchadiums
>not Großcongoiums

Unless it's changed the tactics part is more because the AI is retarded. If you have 5000 knights and one archer there's now a dwcent chance that the AI will use an archer tactic (which benefits one unit) uersus knight tactics (which benefits 5000) this is compound by the AI almost always using mixed units so you not only get a bonus the AI also usually gets a malus

>tfw to smart to pick a religion