Winter driving general

>costco has deal on Michelins
>buy a set of X-ice3's
>get 4th for free

>first decent snow and ice here in Kentucky
>suvs and brotrucks having terrible time getting off the line at stoplights, driving 15 mph under speed limit

>mfw driving the fuck around all of them and enjoying the superpower that is having winter tires

How has your winter been so far Veeky Forums? What did you do to prepare you car?

its been cold but no snow.

I'm cheap as fuck so I've still got the summer rubber on. Is doable just not enjoyable

>Kentucky

Why even bother with winter tires you faggot you live in the south

>What did you do to prepare you car?

Same thing I do every year.
>Power wash the fuck out of the under side
>Fluid Film the fuck out of everything
>spray some silicon lube on all the weather stripping and window runs
>lube the hinges and latches on all the doors
>change the oil and grease the front end
>swap on the snows and let it rip

Keeps the winter beater wagon nice and happy.

I got to drive an hour through fresh, unplowed powder a foot thick with no traffic to get in my way. Best drive I've had all year.

Blizzaks work great.

I put really cheap ass all seasons on it, raised the front suspension by about 2.5 inches, put a new header and flex pipe section in the exhaust, and also put new p/s fluid in. Should have changed the coolant... and timing belt, but it's absolutely cold as shit out now so it's not happening.

I live in the deep south. I still have my summer season racing tires on.

Turbo really loves that cool air though.

Things I've done

>x-ice (3rd season, nice choice on tires OP)
>winter washer fluid
>ice scraper + brush
>jumper cables
>spare pair of gloves in glovebox
>blanket in trunks spare tire compartment

Shit sucks sometimes though, all the stuff inside my car freezes up and I have to wait like 15 mins before I can even move the knob that changes where the air comes out.

Lots of snow though, good handbrake skids

>still on all-seasons because poorfag, they've got decent tread depth, and I can actually drive
>slushy and 31 degrees this morning, roads are a death trap
>go to work at the posted speed limit
>tail end slipping around constantly but I maintain control because I'm not a retard who overcorrects or stomps the brakes
>come up on retard who's going 20mph in a fucking subaru
>slow down and ride behind him
>we're practically standing still at this speed, if anyone comes around a curve or over a rise behind us and suddenly has to slow, we're all gonna die
>get out from behind him and resume my hooning, kicking a bunch of slush up at him as I pass and slide back into my lane
>get to work driveway
>driveway is significantly slippier than the roads
>as I turn in, front tires slide sideways towards the guardrail/ditch on the outside of the turn
>step on the gas to oversteer instead
>rip a fully sideways skid into work parking lot, so fucking hektik
>rear bumper was inches from the guardrail
>coworkers at the door see me and laugh and say shit like "you're fuckin crazy man"

>put the ol' PA3s back on
>1 fucking inch of snow forecasted
>gtfo of work as soon as it starts because I know what's coming
>californiacucks in their crossovers and suvs all get stuck
>traffic gets jammed for 12 hours because 1 fucking inch of snow
>people leave their cars abandoned and blocking streets for two days
>state decides that they're going to start salting roads instead of telling people to be responsible fucking adults and at least get chains
>5 years from now everyone's going to whine that their shitboxes are rusting out
why oh why does my shitty state keep sucking california's dick

What do you guys think of buying used winter tires off of craigslist?

>1 inch of snow
>chains

Why do so many people on Veeky Forums think winter tires are an insult to their driving ability?

>I don't NEED winter tires!

Well, no, you'll be fine if you go really slow. But why NOT have the ability to drive faster and safer?

It's fine if they arent ruined or have plugs in them.

I got mine for $250 CAD nearly new + wheels and they've been fine, save for a minor dent in the lip of one wheel

I drove using my new Altimax Arctic tires today and I gotta say it felt very weird. It seemed to mainly just give me forward/rear traction and limit my side-to-side slipping. It wasn't really the GRIP MONSTER I was expecting it to be

Snows still slippery regardless of tires. Just with winter tires its much less slippy.

drivers here really, really suck

Because most haven't ever used them so they don't know what they are missing out on, I think?

I lived a hour north of Louisville for 20 years and never saw someone with snow tires. You are wasting your money.

The point is it snows about twice where op lives.

Because they are too fucking poor to run anything but shitty all seasons year round.

i bought some general altimax artics cause the reviews were good. same boat as you man there fucking great i am so glad i spent the money

Too bad the anti-freezing additives they start putting in fuel around October kills the power gains you'd get from the cold air.

The r&t article from a couple years ago said the additives can soak up as much as 7% power and that and and distributors were starting to put it in everything year round to avoid the changeover process.

Apparently some dyno shops don't even fuck with pump gas after summer ends.

Kentucky gets just as severe winters as Ohio.

Look at a map. It barely even qualifies as a southern state.

>First decent snow and ice here in Kentucky
yeah I'm gonna call bullshit and say fuck right off with that. I drove KY>chicago and back this weekend and it was laughable tier until about 40 miles north of Indianapolis.

You are little babby driver and Sergei suggests bus pass

pic related, me n my bitch meeting up with another bitch in a parking lot at C/A/D this weekend.

I made it fine on new-ish $80 all seasons and you have no reason to be buying winters this far south, unless you are an absolute shit tier driver, in which case winters won't cure stupid anyways.
have I mentioned you are a little babby driver with tiny hands

This. There is almost zero financial disadvantage to not having two sets of tires.

you get winter in Kentucky? just run all seasons. they'll be fine for the 3 days of winter you get.

that's fine, often get them mounted and balanced for a 1/4 of new

nothing wrong with plugs, I've got winters and rims for $50 because one had a leak. pulled the screw causing the leak and plugged it. no problems since.

shit my current winters are 1mm away from the tread wear indicator, and this year we are getting fucked in Alberta. might actually need to buy new ones because nothing on craigslist / kijiji

Except the cost of buying the winter tires you fucking idiot

>Canada has a border with America
>implying any states on that border are different from Canada
Hurr we r diffurent!

They forgot to leave their shitty driving skills at the state borders.

>It just amazes me how quick non natives to the state can fuck shit up

I got stuck once where I lived in Indiana which is further north than all of Kentucky. It's a waste. Snow tires are great some places but Kentucky isn't one of them.

>marketing manager has to travel between 4 different states
>refuses to drive the company vehicle back to apartment
>i drive him back for a about a week til snow lets up
>every corner is NIGHT OF FIRE
>he cackles like a madman
>dude is like 55 years old
>tells me this shit makes him want to build 240z and 510s again
>literally driving at twice the speed of some people

once you've driven winter tires, you'll never go back. even without out snow, near zero temps, and rain; it's like a cheat code for grip.

I live in the north east us (Massachusetts) and drive an '04 crv with awd. I don't drive much until late January on. How much of a disadvantage am I will almost new all seasons instead of winters?

I'm buying a car this week guys, probably just some 90s Camry but hey i'm movin on up

Besides actually buying winter tires, what should I know about winter driving? I live in an area where we either get mild winters or slammed

I just moved and I have to commute an hour each way to work in pretty bad winter conditions. What winter tires do you have/recommend and how fast can you safely drive with them?

Your best option if you're broke. Bought a full set of winters on OEM steelies for $200 Canadian pesos, all 4 had 8-9/32 depth. Just the rims were covered in surface rust, which wasn't hard at all to brush off and paint over. Aint pretty, but it's a whole lot better than trying to survive the season on crappy all-seasons

>too cheap to buy new winter tires so i went to a used tire place
>long story short i got fucked two different sets of tires on the front and rear
>front tires are Michelin Pilot Alpines
>DOT code 1505
>15
>05

Honestly, i don't even want to drive the car anymore i don't feel safe in it with that old of fucking tires. Any tire place wants like 550-650 CAD for a non-chinese brand tire mounted on my stock rims. Feels fucking bad man. Should have just bought some new tires to begin with.

i have micheline xi3. the bridgestone blizzaks will be fine as well. just have them on the rears for startup grip because rear wheel drive. you really won't believe the low temp difference it makes. you can be cheap like me or go for all 4.

some corners i really have to boot it kick the ass around. i can drive at almost normal speed if there are no cars around i have to brake for. hard accel in a straight line will kick it out a few degrees, let up throttle and it instantly snaps back straight. i missed my calling in life. shoulda been a rally driver.

Kentucky is Midwest.

>first decent snow and ice here in Kentucky
I fucking live here. What snow?

i've always thought kentucky was considered a part of the south

culturally, sure
but geographically, not so much

I did too growing up here. But we're technically part of the Midwest.

the south says we're part of the north, the east says we're part of the midwest, and the midwest says we're part of the south.

I dunno 2bh familia. I always considered us southern.

>2003 350z
>lsd
>blizzaks
>heated seats
doing preetty well this winter

doesn't accelerate in snow as well as the miata I previously had, guessing that's because it's pig fat and I'm assuming it's slightly front heavy

fantastic drift machine though

This you?

That looks autistic as fuck. Nice racing gear faggot. Why the fuck are you wearing a helmet on public roads?

yep, fun stuff

We got almost 1 and a half feet of snow in the lower mainland of BC.

It is not fun at all in my new ride I really need to get some winter tires.

This thing just has way to much power at the back wheels the back end wants to kick around in every corner

>stop having fun
>this doesn't make you cool
>STOP HAVING FUN!

Kill yourself you bitter cunt

fuck off to the back of your bus, salty cunt

How many seasons do winter tires last

>How has your winter been so far Veeky Forums? What did you do to prepare you car?

New tires for $1000
210kg/460lbs of concrete over the rear wheels
5w40 oil
Made sure the engine heater is properly installed
Telescopic brush/ice scraper

Getting my tarp in two days

>got myself a new fancy ice scraper/ brush thingy
>it's around 0°C but no snow at all
:

>mfw poorfags butthurt about people paying for winter tires
>being jelly of people who want additional peace of mind that doesn't effect you at all

30k-40k miles

I live in Northern Canada, I drive a 4x4 gas guzzler, and I've never had any problems driving all seasons/all terrain Slovakian Tire brand tires

come at me

first guy on here ive seen smart enough to put a top onit. i know 3 people who have gotten killed by putting shit in the bed and getting in a accident and it hits them in the head and kills them

Driving at the speed limit or 10 over while everyone is 10 under is the greatest feeling. I feel invincible with winter tires.

When you buy winter tires, they obviously don't come with the steel rims right?

It's ok, no one to see you slide all around the road and there's no one for you to endanger.

Avoid sharp, jerky movements.
Give yourself more stopping distance than usual.
Add a bag of kitty litter or something in the trunk that you can put down for traction when you get stuck.
Add a shovel and ice scraper too.
Take it out into an empty snow-covered parking lot and learn how it handles when you lose grip. Since your 'rolla is FWD you can just let off the gas to recover.

Correct.

>had 8 - 10 inches of snow
>volvo 850 has wonderful winter mode
>drive to work
>trucks and suvs sliding of into ditches while cops try to pull them out
>drive by like it's nothing
>still on all season tires
>get to work and they closed but didn't tell me
>shitboxfordrangerinditch.jpg
>pull him out
>muh winter mode
>go home like nothing happened

It looks like he has the helmet on to attach the gopro

That top wouldn't do much against that much concrete at a high speed; its just fibreglass held down by six of these clamps. The strap is what keeps it down

Oh wait, I'm a fucking nigger - you mean a top/lid on the box itself?

yeah th top on the box and strap should keep it down i would think. on of them died from a cinder block the other from concrete bags in the back

I don't fuck around with loose shit in my car- the one time I went off the road in a station wagon my fucking tire iron came flying from the back and nearly hit me in the head. Never again.

Same tires here. 2nd season with it. The grip is great.

What's the point of loading up a small, light truck with all that weight... Should of bought a 4runner equivalent or an American truck. Do you not have 4x4?

Or 6 years, whichever.

They stopped selling the 4Runner here in what I believe was 1995, so all of those are aged and way below my price range. American trucks are useless due to our vehicle classification system, are more expensive than need be and drink too much fuel

Its basically so that I don't really ever have to use the 4WD under normal driving, and also so that I'll have increased traction when I need to use it. Its all about squeezing every drop of traction from those tires

I share your pain. It's cold as fuck as it always is, have had top of the line snow gear since I've been driving, rarely snows and it just sits in the Jeep. Never even use the scraper or shovel because I park in the garage and just drive over the snow to go to work. Even the ultra rare two feet we had last year.

>bought a set of winter tires for the first time
>my fucking face when all that TRACTION

Winter tire status: DEFINITELY not a meme. I repeat, NOT a meme.

Zero sliding when starting to accelerate, way better breaking, can drive over ice like its fucking nothing, I am a GOD

And they aren't even super 1337 winter tires. They're mid tier mastercrafts

Driving with x-ice2's made me never drive all terrains again.

The compromises they do for all weather tires makes them mediocre in every condition.

Now I have a set of wheels with winters and a set of wheels with summers. Game changer.

Why do people voluntarily live in places where winter exists?

Because snow driving is fun if you aren't so poor you can't afford winter tires

>hektik skids at safe speeds with zero stress to your drivetrain

I live an hour north of Louisville too (about 20 mins from Cincinnati) and I used Blizzak studless snow tires on the back of my 240 during our bad snow storms and was passing people that were skidding around and stuck on hills. I even popped my standard all-seasons on to compare and it is a pretty big difference. They are definitely useful and if you only use them during the winter months, they'll last you many years. I say it's not that bad of an investment.

I enjoy the cold, and niggers hate the cold far more than I do.

I get peace and quiet on my roads because nobody drives when the weather goes bad, and also less black people. It's a win win.

My mother told be that they were just gimmicks and to buy all seasons because they were cheaper.
Now that I have them I can safely say that they are worth the fucking investment. Not even just for snow, where I live is much more prone to black ice on the roads and it handles far better than any all season and I didn't even stud them

"all seasons" arent even really designed for the snow

"All weathers" however, are. still not as good as dedicated snow tires though. but there's an all weather tire made by nokian that has the snow mountain symbol

Oh and those hybrid all weather tires are seriously, seriously expensive.

It costs the same to just get summers/winters than to get one set of all weathers

>living in northern part of Norway, dealers aren't allowed to sell winter tyres below a standard
>not many having problem during winter
>southern part of Norway is always on the news complaining about slippery roads and accidents
>every single year

That's because you're fucking trying to buy winter tires smack dab in the middle of winter. If you bought your tires back in October or November you would've been able to get more deals.

They're allowed to sell you any road-legal tire they wish. Its more that they know that it would be bad press to sell unsuited ones

Chill out, kiddo, let me blow your fucking mind:

If you are not driving on the wheels that you normally would be using in the summer... they will last longer!

So by using winter tires in the winter, you're putting less wear on your summers. Overall, you're spending a comparable amount to having just a single set of all-seasons that you need to replace twice as often except that now you have optimum performance in both the summer AND the winter compared to the shitty all-seasons that are bleh during every season.

TL;DR - pay the same, get better performance all year 'round.

Union Kentuckybro?

How do I store my winter tires in summer to make them last?

Good to go - put my winter tires on
>Goodyear Nordics

My ex used to live not too far from you. Just got a case of the feels, I miss her.

Out of sunlight, in a cool environment

Like fine wine. Humidity controlled cellar kept cool but not frosty. For optimal results, season tires with horse semen every month.

I very rarely slide (when I do, I do it on purpose, on an empty street, for dem sikk skidz), and I live, and drive in a small town with plenty of traffic

Because snow is fun

Not a damn thing except buy a set of Firestone Winterforces. Fantastic set of tires I must say.

Why those? Blizzak WS80 & X-Ice i3 will give you better performance. Got them at a good price?

I got paint protection film, mud flaps, husky weatherbeater floor mats, and Hakkapeliitta R2's on some cheapo Chinese alloys. The first two aren't winter-specific but they're helpful. These Nokian's are fucking amazing, they don't give a shit what's on the ground (snow, slush, ice, pack snow, salt, whatever) nor how much of it there is. It's gotten to the point where I'm finding safe spots to do stupid stuff just to see how much they can handle.

I kinda wish I had sprung for a narrower size, though. Like maybe 205/55r17 on narrower wheels or something... right now it's 225/50r17 on 17x8.

Also got some of these steel "tuner" lugs. I like the shape/length because they're simple and easier to hand-thread since you don't need to use a socket, but these were the only ones I could find made out of steel. Fuck all the shitty aluminum ones.

Firestone Winterforce are store-brand cheapo tires so they're going to be way cheaper than top-of-the-line brand name products like the Blizzak and X-Ice3's. Still a world of difference compared to most all-seasons.

>How has your winter been so far Veeky Forums?
okay. Lots of black ice limiting usage of touge.
>What did you do to prepare you car?
Turned it into a monster by installing studded tyres with no studs in them.
Outgrips any non awd car. Despite being a 2 ton anemic oversized hatchback.

All you retards bashing people for buying winter tires in climates that don't get feet of snow- shut the fuck up.

Do some research. There are tests freely available online that conclusively show even in mild snow and ice a RWD car with snow tires will out corner, out brake, out accelerate an AWD car with all seasons. All seasons also harden in cold conditions while winters remain soft due to compounds. Even a clear road that's freezing cold will give an advantage in grip to the winter tire in all aspects of handling.

All seasons are terrible in winter and you're a salty poorfag.

>MUH EXPENSES
>MUG WAIFU BODYPILLOW SAVINGS FUND
>MUH DRIVING PROWESS IN MUH TERCEL