Subwoofers

Is wiring your car for a sub considered bad taste? I need to upgrade my door speakers because they are shit and I was thinking of getting a sub to enhance the sound. I'm thinking a single 10".

yes.

what car?

>Is modifying your own vehicle considered bad taste by autists on Veeky Forums

Depends OP, what do you drive?

It's not bad taste. If you want good audio, do it.

Just don't leave it unsecured. I bought a used car with a sub installed by the last owner. It was bolted down, just loosely flopping around. Really passed me off, but the wiring seems sound so I just secured it. I don't even care much for music while I'm driving, so it's just taking up space.

>it was bolted down
WASN'T bolted down. Fuck me. Anyway, it's only really the tacky external "aesthetic" mods that are commonly in poor taste. Nobody is going to fucking see your subwoofer unless you're a big gaping-asshole faggot, so it's fine.

Yes, If you run your sub 90db hot with no sound deadening on the stock head unit putting out 50 watts. Make sure you're electrical system can handle the additional load.

This guy

Tbh it is kind of a bitch if you havnt done it before, esp if you Wana do it right.

No sub. just add some good door speakers.

Halp guys.

Do I wire my 1000W 4ch amp up to two of the door speakers and the sub, or do I wire it up to the sub and then use the other 2ch to wire up all four door speakers?

Why no sub?

If your goal is a nice-sounding balanced system then a sub is great.

Just don't be one of those dipshits buying a bunch of "1500W max 5W RMS" Boss brand amplifiers and cheapo subs blaring distorted bass in the ghetto.

teenager trash.

2 channels to your front speakers, 2 channels bridged for the sub, rear speakers powered by the head unit.

Thanks lad.

Unnecessary if you have good responsive door speakers and a good head unit.

>not getting the full sound spectrum

>Is modifying your own vehicle considered bad taste by autists on Veeky Forums

Don't forget that if your gear is visible while your car is parked, someone will eventually smash your window to steal your amp or parts. Keep your power level tastefully hidden away unless you can park your car in protected areas. In seattle, we have so many homeless emigrating here from other states it is beyond terrible. Even in the downtown parking garage your window can be smashed and they get in to strip your gear out.

Can you give me some examples of "good responsive door speakers"? I gotta see this

Fuck off to every shit for ears spouting "subs are bad hurrr", literally every proper sound system uses them, because bass is important, quit assuming every sub is going to be used to rattle cars apart in traffic.
>autism/o/'s being in charge of anything

Modern day car audio is depressing. Companies like Alpine are close to bankruptcy, MB Quartz is shit, MTX is shit. It seems like Kicker, JL, and Focal are the only companies that actually still do research on producing better sounding speakers. Every other company just wants to sell the same shit they made a decade ago, just this time they use cheaper chinese manufacturing and still charge a premium price. Rockford Fosgate is a joke now because of this.

it can't really get any better, desu

>he fell for the subwoofers meme

This guy gets it. There still are some outstanding brands left though. Linear Power is UNTOUCHABLE. Made by hand in Mississippi, their amps and speakers are nothing short of amazing. It's not cheap, but like anything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Most of Mmats stuff is still American made, and again, seriously high quality.

Fi subwoofers are American Made, as are JL Audio subwoofers, model W3 and up (not amps). AudioControl processors are American made. (Again, not amps).

Also, there is a new startup called Boland Audio where everything they sell is American made. Bernie Boland co-founded Precision Power and founded Orion. Check those guys out.

Bumper and Savard are also American made.

>Rockford Fosgate is a joke now
This so much. Back in the 90s Rockford was untouchable. Their amps and subs were top tier. Mainstream car audio killed every good company.

The problem with car audio is that modern sound systems in cars have gotten to where they are good enough for most people, so the aftermarket has really suffered. It used to be car stereos from the factory were almost unbearable, now they are pretty good.

>adding unnecessary weight to your sports car
I seriously hope you guys don't do this. Unless it's a daily or a landbarge, then it's o-k

Hah, shows how much you know, faggot. Show me what kind of door speakers can provide a wide enough spectrum of sound to represent any decent music in the way it's meant.

Protip: unpossible at a reasonable pricepoint, subwoofers are a necessity

Half of the fucktards here don't know two shits about cars, expecting you retards to have any knowledge on audio is at least a miserable effort.

Landbarge life is the only life.

Twingo desu
Source: owned one

Good to hear. I'm thinking of a full Kicker set with door and rear speakers + one 10" sub.

>live in seattle
>buy a new car because my shitbox is barely holding on to life, could die or kill me at any time
>less than one month goes by
>rear windshield gets smashed in
>literally nothing in the car to steal except for a trip permit

Fuck this city.

>Hah, shows how much you know, faggot. Show me what kind of door speakers can provide a wide enough spectrum of sound to represent any decent music in the way it's meant.

Checkmate, motherfucker. These speakers have a 36Hz Fs, and are linear up to 3,500Hz. They are truly some of, if not the finest, car specific midranges money can buy. And for what you're getting, the price is extremely fair.

Free air resonance don't mean shit, they're are kickers that are rated lower than you snowflake speakers

So why is it that when I read the specs you are reading I have an Fs of 41Hz? Vas is only 9.1 litres and xmax is 5mm. Even with 91.4dB/w/m this midbass loudspeaker will run out of steam reproducing low and extra low frequencies.

That may be because it's a six and a half inch midrange driver and not a woofer. The Fs is too high for ELF reproduction and the displacement is too low to do so at acceptable outputs.

If none of your LF content dips below fifty hertz and you have a ported enclosure to spec then it's possible that these will be sufficient for you. If they live in the door panels you've got Buckley's chance of LF reproduction.

>Kicker better than Linear Power

Lol, no. That's like comparing a Chevette to a Corvette.

These things are so potent, than when run with the right amp, say something like an LP2250, they have been known to tear the door skin of a GMC Denali. They are just that damned strong.

As far as the Fs goes, I've measured mine on my DATS. The 36Hz Fs number is correct. Call Ray at Linear and he'll confirm that number.

These aren't bad and they do the job . Easy to move/remove as well.

>The problem with car audio is that modern sound systems in cars have gotten to where they are good enough for most people, so the aftermarket has really suffered.
Yeah, this is sad but true. It's so weird to see just how bad the current car audio aftermarket is. In the late 80s and 90s you have so many companies trying to compete with each other. You had a lot of options in what you wanted to buy. Head unit choices today, it's basically kenwood or pioneer.

Depends on the car

>literally nothing in the car to steal except for a trip permit
The desperate homeless will steal almost anything. Permits in windows are worth something since they can be stuck in some other car or used by a homeless person's car so that it can park somewhere.

The problem with seattle's huge homeless population is that the area is known to be liberal. So all the persecuted homeless from other parts of the country get shipped to seattle even when they get out of prison. If seattle had been left alone, it would have solved its homeless problem. But instead, the number of homeless grows from 18% to 36% every year in the past 10 years. So it's like an "epidemic" even though we know it's not a disease.

My huge corporate employer is basically 24 hours, so a homeless person could possibly sneak their car in to camp overnight if they had a stolen window decal. Breaking your windshield to get it is pretty extreme, but that's how it goes when it comes to finding parking spots they don't get towed from. My company knows some permits get stolen, so they have a license plate scanner as well. The car's make/model needs to match the plate and if the permit for that plate was reported missing/stolen, then they will check that car out. The company policy is to deputize all security staff (we pay for their education) so they really can arrest a fradulent trespasser on the spot AND our corporate cars even have bubble lights and are authorized to chase.

So it's too bad your permit was not with us. The security staff used to get excitement, but over the years, nothing happens anymore. The criminals all know and thus never even try now. Fighting crime is what reduces crime. If effort is not done even for misdemeanors, then the crime rate WILL go up. That's why our security staff would chase after trespasser cars and of course the regular police participate too.

The premium sound system for my 2016 chevrolet malibu comes with subwoofer and a total of nine speakers. It really does sound great and has a bit of that classic bass chest thump feeling everyone likes out of a subwoofer. You feel the power of the bass Force.

But at the same time, it is not overdone. So none of that "Slab" type bass that thumps all the cars around you. My system sounds really good and is clean just like my home audio system. The 'bu only lacks both the stage presence and 3D ambiance the home system has. I've compared by testing the same audio tracks. The problem is isolated down to how the head unit (panasonic??) decodes all the channels. So the oem gear provider is still a bit sucky over a high end 3rd party aftermarket system for $2500 so.

The 'bu premium system is definitely good enough. I'd say it sounds great. I'm sure future systems will allow steering of the sweet spot to where the driver's head is located. If that can be done, then imaging, presence, and ambiance can be improved.

>These things are so potent, than when run with the right amp, say something like an LP2250, they have been known to tear the door skin of a GMC Denali. They are just that damned strong.

On a recent houston texas episode of Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" show featuring both food and culture, a bunch of cadillacs owned by hip hop / rap fans was featured. The paint was distressed or even cracked due to the audio on one car.

Anthony.Bourdain.Parts.Unknown.S08E05.Houston.iNTERNAL.720p.HDTV.x264-MiNDTHEGAP

I won't be calling anybody that's too slack to keep updated specifications for the products they manufacture. And no, they aren't that damn strong. The voice coil supports a thermal limit of 140w continuously and though there are no TS readily available for the loudspeaker (red flags here) I'd say the BL ain't that high, likely around 10 or 11 Tm. It looks like a nice loudspeaker but I'm not seeing anything worth crowing about over Beyma 6P200 or similar.

Even if the free air resonant frequency is 36Hz, the displacement is too low to effectively deliver both ELF through to MF with linearity. That's not how loudspeakers function. If only we could use arrays of 6.5" loudspeakers to deliver everything from ELF to MF and never have to use 40 BH760's and lines of Enya or stacks of 760's again. With a Vas of 9.1L and xmax of 5mm, there is no way without adaptive DSP to ensure that 40Hz is reproduced at the same amplitude as 1400Hz, at the same amplitude as 3400Hz. Add the DSP to do so and the phase plot is compromised unless you've got a Lake sitting in a rack in the boot.

Not impressed by anyone stupid enough to send LF and ELF to multiple sources. If you can't understand how an antinode would be formed in the cabin from two loudspeakers on opposite ends of the cabin reproducing the same tone, and how neither a node or antinode will be formed under 70Hz in most vehicles from a single point source in the rear of the vehicle, you should have spent the cost of your bangin' speakers on a book.

Not impressed by porch monkeys using insufficient enclosures (door panels) housing loudspeakers with a high MMS at high power levels and hooting with shock when the insufficient enclosure cannot resist vibration. Failure through foolishness is not something to be proud of.

Oh lord Jesus please help me no.

You act like you know what you're talking about, but the truth is you only have half of a clue. For example, you know to look at he Bl of the driver. But if you really knew what was up, 11 TM for a 6.5 is outstanding, and often beats many if not most full sized subwoofer setups today. Take two DVC subs that have 2 ohm coils, parallel all of the coils for a ½ ohm load, the effective Bl is in the goddamed dirt. If you're as smart as you claim to be, you know this.

You also claim that phase issues cause a pair of 6.5's to never be able to play low. With a proper install, you correct that mechanically with proper aiming and careful crossover selection. The way the vast majority of people use DSP, all it does is fuck up the soundstage beyond all recognition. Move your head 3" to the left or right, and the imaging goes all to shit. That's not a proper install.

With the correct drivers, with a competent install, a 6.5 absolutely can have bottom octave response. Just because *you* have never used a decent driver capable of that feat doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Pull your head out of your pompous ass. There's a bigger world out there.

Where do you learn how to git gud at all this shit?

True but that will never happen cause EVs knock nigga

I just replaced my factory speakers with Alpine Type-S and a 5ch Alpine amp with a $100 10in Rockford Fosgate sub.
The whole setup was around $400-500 but the difference is night and day, also I got a sealed sub because ported is for niggers.

>Not impressed by porch monkeys using insufficient enclosures

Here's one of MTX's own vehicles. Presumably this car audio company knows something about car audio.

i literally have that exact stereo, nice

>all these people seriously implying 4 regular ass door speakers are in any way better or even sufficient for good audio without a sub

Responsive door speakers just make it sound ok, you need bass and the hard hits of subs.

>you need bass and the hard hits of subs.

This should get your blood pumpin'

I live in Seattle now.
After the new year i'm getting a new shitbox instead of my POS truck. I wanted to get subs (left mine when I moved) but I'll definitely be thinking it over.

Fuck yalls shit, AC Delco factory speakers for life.

11 Tm is not outstanding kiddo. If Beyma and even the chinks at P.Audio can slap a Nd magnet on their 6.5's with a Bl of 18Tm, that's outstanding. 11 is run of the mill.

If you were as smart as you think you were, you'd know that BL remains constant for parallel voice coils as it does for a single coil. The length of the coil, L, has not changed, and neither has B. If you put two coils in series, then it is 2xBL. as the L is now twice the length. So if you put two DVC woofers in parallel, BL is BL.

Try again for half a point? I hear special education gives awards for participation.

So you think you can mechanically aim two loudspeakers and cease the constructive and destructive interference two transducers generate if they are reproducing the same frequency, even though the node and antinode is formed AFTER the incident at the loudspeaker? You'd best contact every manufacturer out there. Tom Danley will trade his very soul for that ability. Until such time as you can break the laws of physics then yes, two loudspeakers reproducing the same frequency will generate nodes and antinodes. Two loudspeakers almost 180 degrees physically apart on the same plane, such as two loudspeakers in your doors, are most likely to suffer noticeable comb filtering. There's a high pass for a reason. Use it.

With the correct drivers in a competent install, possibly you can achieve ELF response. At the cost of linearity across the spectrum, because that's how intermodal distortion works. Use your eyes for a practical purpose instead of decorating your face, and read.

You bought a pair of nice drivers, possibly put them in a car door and that's about it. Get off your podium champ as it ain't that tall. A few 6.5" loudspeakers that I've used in various deployments would be in cabinets from Nexo, D&B, RCF, venerable old Vertex, VDOSC, point and shoot cabinets from EAW and Meyer....

Pull your head out of your pompous arse and turn your fucking brain on.

They designed and built a loudspeaker with a MMS equivalent to the total weight of some smaller woofers.

No, I don't presume that the company knows much about accurate reproduction. They do know how to sell products based on looks to people that buy products based on looks though.

9500 Series are pretty good though.

Are you a negroid?

Use bass blockers on all door speakers, and have sub do the bass.