What does Veeky Forums think of the Olds 88?

What does Veeky Forums think of the Olds 88?

Anything with the Buick 3800 is fine by me. Although the later 98 with the S/C is the best of the last Olds.

Aurorafags fite me IRL

I like the older ones better.

Much more comfy.

They really started the American powerful RWD V8 Sedan trend.
>inb4 muh 60hp flathead V8

this, I almost but the car same as in your picture for my first car in yurop (i was too late it was already sold), I'm still mad to this day

Amazing. Sometimes it feels like Oldsmobile never bounced back from design black hole of the seventies. Just sort of lost it's will to live and faded to black over the next few years.

I still love them though... I really like the movie Fargo because, among other things, the Oldsmobile dealership scenes.

so when they put the supercharged L67 in there it actually changed model names from 88 to LSS

so its just the 199X Oldsmobile LSS

actually it only just started kicking again when they were killed off.

they were going to start their own performance brand/trim for vehicles called OSV "Oldsmobile Speciality Vehicle"

they had one for the Alero and the Silhouette.

there was also a Intrigue OSV

obviouslt these have aged horribly, it was really the rice division. other Olds experimental cars from this time were all rice too.

Piece of GM shit. I know somebody that bought a brand new Cutlass Calais sedan in 1990 and within two years the paint started peeling on the car. After 60k the thing broke on a weekly basis. Everything from coolant/oil leaks, to the ignition switch, to the motor surging,etc.

They ended up selling it in 1997 for $600 to a corner mechanic. That was when the car was fairly new. Imagine owning one now when it's 25+ years old. How many of these cars do you still see on the road? That should tell you everything.

>"the Olds 88"
That's an A-body 88

I've driven one from 1951. Pretty neat car, kickstarted the v8 pretty much.

Funny because my current car is a 20+ year old Ford with 272K miles that just now developed its first ever oil leak.

said no one ever

I dig those no problem

and then there was also the Achieva SCX W41.
motorweek review here

>electronically adjustable struts and shocks
>larger diameter front sway bar
>wider rear axle with dual rear sway bars
>higher spring rates and bushing changes
>raised engine's redline to 7200 rpm

By this time GM was behind the Japs in tech. Japs had electronic adjusted dampers since the early 80s

Another story of GM greatness:

Friend buys first car ever in 1998 while in high school. A 1988 Buick Regal. It spent more time broke down in his driveway than he spent driving it. Literally every week something would break. Wipers, door locks, won't start, fuel injectors, transmission, on and on. We went on a 100 mile road trip once and it started stalling. He was scared shitless being that far from home with no money and we didn't have cell phones. He was thrilled to get a Honda three years later and practically gave the Buick away to jigs for free.

Drove Ford on a 2,000 mile (one way) road trip once with not a single problem.

Nice anecdotes, pal

>Drove Ford on a 2,000 mile (one way) road trip once with not a single problem.
You're not a shill with your vague ass story and corrective suggestion at the end of it.......

They're sweet 90s American workhorses. 3.1 thru 3.8 GM motors are fairly bulletproof. Transmissions are somewhat weak. Buddy of mine had one stuck in gear. We dumped a bottle of Lucas in it and neutral dropped it off the rev limiter. Broke everything free. He sold the car for as much as he paid for it. Apparently it's still on the road.

>3.1 thru 3.8 GM motors are fairly bulletproof.

*If you change all the gaskets

I kind of want a comfy barge with with an L67 though

i really enjoy mine. the ride couldnt be any softer and the seats are just sofa seats.

the engine is nice and toquey and smooth.

unfortunately, just like with any 3800 car the tranny is the week point. mine chewed through its first one, then at the tranny shop it ate two more. Now 4 years later the replacement is almost gone. i really want to find a LSS and swap in a Getrag 282 5 Speed in so i can actually control what is going on.

really though i want to find an Eighth Gen Bonneville SSE and L67 swap with a Getrag 282. that would be a wicked build.

i want to find an Eighth Gen Bonneville SSE and L67 swap with a Getrag 282. that would be a wicked build.