Rally Thread

ok, so if I want to convert a car to be as close to a rally version, what would I need to do?

I like the look and usability of rally cars.

Are they awd or are they fwd? How to do that conversion? Cost?

Anyone drove rally here and wants to brag?

Basically how to convert a regular fwd bread fetching machine to a more rally like bread fetching machine?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZU5j0EWJwDs
fia.com/regulation/category/119
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>ok, so if I want to convert a car to be as close to a rally version, what would I need to do?
win the lottery

I mean if you are asking these kinds of questions then its not for you.

Just buy a WRX STI or RS focus and stick some lame stickers on it.

You are looking at 250k

-9001/10
Although I'll be surprised if retards don't show trying to offer genuine "advice".

who hurt u?

do you know what a rally car is.

Do this:
>aquire a somewhat compact car
>fit a new suspension system that also raises the car to an extent
>get tires with a higher sidewall than stock
>install underbody protection, further stiffen up the body if required
>you could strip out the interior and install a rollcage, but those are unpractical (doesn't seem like you want to actually use it in competition)
>bucket seats are important though
>add horsepower and stickers (not required though)

.. and you'll end up with pic related. A daily driver you can also blast down a dirt road in.

Base car could be anything though. Hatchback, compact sedan, small sportscar, front-, rear- or all-wheel drive, turbocharged or not etc

forgot picture, sorry

Thanks user, that is what I had in mind!

You can make a good rally car for around 10k usd if you do all the labour, now if you want a professional class thats another story unless you have deep pockets.

>my pockets aint empty cuz

what previous user wrote, hit the nail on the head, just something usable on dirt roads, that can be floored mercilessly.

>rally like bread fetching machine?
strip it out, put in a "clubsport cage with rear cross", put stickers on it, you're done
at least that's what i'm reading from the OP

I can't believe retards on /o can't come to this conclusion. It should NOT have taken this long for this post to appear

To give you an idea how out of your depth you are, look in to sequential transmissions. Not only are they insanely expensive, their life expectancy is measured in hours. You have neither the money or skill to have one.

>OP asks for something as close to a rally car as possible, with a picture of a tarmac wrc car
>Veeky Forums recommends a pretend rally car that's really a shitty home brewed crossover
LEL

youtube.com/watch?v=ZU5j0EWJwDs

Watch the first ten minutes of this, everyone.

>Impreza 2.5 (NA) or BMW 325/328
>MUH SUSPENSHUN or just a set of forester struts kek
>15 or 16 inch wheels with used rally tyres
>bolt some aluminium sheets to the bottom
>pull abs fuse
>add monster stickers
>oversteer into tree and die

how is a ralley car usable?!?!?!?
you cant give people rides
you cant go anywhere without attracting attention
it will cost waaaay more than a regular car to own
it will require a lot more maintinence
vehicle theft becomes a reality
the performance that you get isnt usable on the streets
there are so few places where the extremem suspensions and drivetran would even be usable

For rally.

rally stages have tarmac and gravel variants soo its usable if set in that way.

which one?

do tell what stage and coarse do you want this car for? are you sponsored?
have you even checked with your insurance company on if they will allow you to insure a ralley car?

if you dont tell them and somthing ever happens to it nothing will be covered

Rip out interior, stiffen the frame roll cage rust repair etc, than just put on rally suspension with a good gravel tire and than you can go hard on dirt roads.

>Vehicle theft
Yeah some regular jamal knows how to turn on a proper rally car.
Have you been in one, or at least seen one its literally a fucking helicopter.

They just winch the thing on to a low loader, and strip the parts out.
A proper rally car transmission costs $100k, it's worth the hassle.

>insurance
You don't drive your rally box to work.

At what fucking point has Veeky Forums ever done anything proper

OP get a Neon SRT and lift it two inches. Done.

I dont need a proper rally car, just a approximation which I can daily and enjoy increased tarmac and gravel usability.

Are wrc cars these days fwd or awd?

Please stop posting.

Already told you what to do here, especially if you're just trying to do better than a stock shitbox. Not that hooning a rally course in literally anything isn't fun.

>I like the usability of rally cars
>Are they awd or are they fwd?
just fuck my shit up

>implying Veeky Forums isn't a car shitposting containment board
>implying every board on Veeky Forums isn't a shitposting containment board

>Rally
>Add horsepower
This is wrong.

If you are this fucking retarded, please stop using the MK1 Focus as your image.

Pick some low end clio or something.

its doable

get a beater with a clean straight chassis with no rust and a good engine with a big aftermarket presence.

you could build one in your garage but it would take years and you'd end up spending 50k+ anyway just to wrap it round a tree.

just get a old rwd beater and head up the nearest dirt road.

organized rally races are such a fucking wank and have such a high entry barrier

rally cars make like 350hp

And cars from the factory come out with 350hp today.

>350hp
>lets add more hp
>fwd 600whp rally car
Yea, totally makes sense.

>cars from the factory come out with 350hp today.
yeah a very small percentage... are u fucking stupid. name a hatchback with 350hp. I'll wait.

Focus RS.

fia.com/regulation/category/119

Open the technical regulations, read article 252, 253, 254 and 261, start building according to what you find in each of those documents, enjoy your rally car.
An R5 is probably the closest to a street car and the cheapest legit rally car you can build according to the FIA regs

Next question: can you rally that stock RS from factory?

you forgot the hydraulic handbrake

if you tune it like rally cross car they have a very soft suspension so it's really usable on the streets

>goal posts
Drop a roll cage in it and yes.

thanks.

I wonder what all the pro teams do with their old rally cars and if they crush them and send them back to the manufacturer like they do with factory team motocross bikes.

I imagine there'd be a nice collector market for used up rally cars, even without engines. I'd love to buy an old pastrana sti that has been rolled 9000 times

Be aware, building a rally car fully compliant with those FIA regs will be very, very expensive.
Like, hundreds of thousands of dollars expensive.

If you want to just convert a cheap shitbox and have fun on some mountains, then find whatever federation/governing body promotes local amateur rally championships and see what kind of technical regulations it enforces.

Chances are they will "only" need basic safety equipment (rollcage, harness, extinguisher, suit, helmet, HANS, etc) and not much else, which is still infinitely cheaper than building a proper R5

It really depends on how much money are you ready to blow and how far you want to go with your racing ambitions.
If you have the money to build an R5 or better, then you should probably consider setting up a small team and renting the car to other people

>buy RWD shitbox
>lift kit
>big ol tires and/or mudflaps
>we rally now

>americans actually think this

>implying you really need anything other than a lift kit and a dream

>implying you really need anything other than a lift kit and a dream

muh nikkuh

never stop believing

Took you an hour to find one single example. Great job.

>21:06
>21:31

I'm not him but you are a retard.

The difference between nasa/scca and fia is nothing.

>I'm not him
Surreee.

Remind me how 350hp is common in stock economy cars again.

It's not though, Economy cars would only produce 200-250 max. MPS/Evo/Wrx/RS etc aren't economy cars, they're performance 4 bangers. Until I see a car making 350hp that delivers 5L/100km then that person is wrong.

>It's not though
Exactly.

>Implying I was that retard

What I meant was that you can join your local motor club (or whatever you call them over there) and see if they have any event where stock or semi-stock cars can race.

There is plenty of that stuff in Europe, they go from basic cone courses to hillclimb on public roads to legit dirt stages. The more dangerous the course, the less stock the car will be, but you can still race on a budget and have fun without going full-blown FIA spec on every part of the car.

The logic is the same behind autocross, but for rallying, and it allows people to race without spending a fortune