Laser eye surgery

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts?

Is it worth getting done for us fellas who have bad eye sight?

On one hand it might be worthwhile to wait a little longer for technology to improve/price to fall but on the otherhand id be missing out on valuable quality of life.

Feels to me like even $5000 over a 20 year period is very worth it, given how much we spend on glasses/contacts, not to mention the invaluable quality of life of having PERIPHERAL vision and not having glasses mess with your look and feel of life.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gJgbG1KQ5BQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump

I'd wait. Apparently it ruins your night vision. Makes you have blurry halos. Never see stars in the night sky the same way.

this, unless you DESPERATELY need eye surgery id just get used to shitty vision plus glasses and contacts

[Citation kindly requested]

My vision is absolute shit man. And I'm fucking tired of glasses.

I just fucked up another pair yesterday because I fell asleep with them on and rolled over midsleep and bent the fuck out of them.

Honestly considering it because nearly everyone I've heard from said it's fantastic

My vision is so bad I can't see shit a couple feet away without it being blurry as fuck

Bump

I had the PRK surgery (similar to LASIK) done just 3 weeks ago. Could give you details on my experience so far if you're interested.

Yes don't ask, please do.

Give me everything. Might get prk done altho it's said to be more painful / heal longer but better to prevent infection

The thing about PRK is that it's more painful and has a longer recovery time than LASIK but is a better option if you have an active lifestyle. With LASIK the flap they slice can get dislodged if you hit your head hard enough. My old prescription was -4.75 but my eyes were probably worse than that. Here's my take on the procedure.
1. It's super unsettling. You’re awake and watching the whole thing as it is happening. It's what I'd imagine getting abducted by aliens would be like. But not too painful. Having lasers burn your eyes hurts, but it's more of an uncomfortable pain, like having a needle inserted for a shot. It only lasted 15 seconds for each eye. You’ll be given 3 prescription eye drops; one for infection, scarring, and moisture.

2. Days 1-2 your eyes will burn and you won’t be able to keep them open for more than a second or two without effort. Extreme light sensitivity as well. Your vision will be blurry but it was still better than my previous prescription. I was maybe a -1.25 give or take for the first couple days. Don’t expect to be driving or on the computer/watching TV at all during this, listening was the best I could do most of the time. But I was able to function around the house. After this the pain should subside and by Day 3 you’ll be able to keep your eyes open almost normally.

Investing in your health is always worth it, OP.

Wouldn't it make sense to just get prk done by default? To kind of cover your bases, so to speak.

hmm

Maybe it's different, for lasik one person I spoke to mentioned he didn't sleep 24 hrs before the operation so he would fall asleep like a baby after it. Said he had perfect vision when he woke up. Must be insane.

I really want to get it done now. Everything I've read makes it seem magical.

3. Your eyes slowly improve over the 3-month recovery period. After 5 days I was good enough to drive long distances (had to get back to school). Nighttime lights will be a bit weird as there will be star bursting but that wasn’t a problem anymore by 2 weeks The first week or so is annoying because my vision wasn’t perfect and I couldn’t use any of my glasses/contacts to remedy that but it’s tolerable. By week 2 my eyes were almost 20/20 already, but not quite there. It is amazing waking up in the morning and being able to see immediately. Also not having to worry about contacts when spending the night somewhere other than home.

You would think but remember, most people are lazy bitches. The benefit of LASIK is that it is immediate. You're able to see perfectly without having to wait. The pain in PRK really wasn't bad at all, I didn't even need the secondary pain relievers they gave me after the surgery. (You do need powerful painkillers for the surgery though)

dang, that long huh?

Btw how much did this run you? I'm in canada and unsure of how to do it - whether travelling for it is worthwhile or not that is, will certainly read more on it though.

4. I’m on week 3 now. I’ve another appointment on Monday to check my progress. There’s still a bit of starbursting at night but honestly, it’s nothing bad. During the day they say it’s necessary to wear sunglasses if you expect the sun to be a problem for 20+ minutes but I wear them all the time when I’m outside. I’d rather not fuck around with my eye’s recovery. As for overall quality, I have good days and bad days depending on how dry my eyes are. Working on the computer a lot doesn’t help. If they’re dry, my vision is noticeably blurrier. On good days, my vision though not completely perfect is greatly improved.

About $3100...ish. It was $200 for the pre-assessment, $2800 for the surgery, and then the prescriptions. This was from a well respected clinic though, not one of those bullshit $200 surgeries.

Like you said though, eliminating the need to buy contacts/new glasses it pays for itself in so many years. But not having to rely on contacts anymore is amazing.

Cheaper than expected.

Did you get multiple opinions?

It's your eyes so I wouldn't skimp. Would probably kill myself if I ever became blind to be honest.
Right now I'm just dealing with more frequent dryness in my eyes. Never had to deal with that before with my contacts but I'm not even 1/3rd of the way through the recovery period so hopefully that will improve.

Dude what if the surgery goes horribly wrong

Shiet
$5k to be blind for life

Nah, I had family that had been to the same doctor several years prior and they're doing great. They had LASIK though rather than PRK. The doctor was highly regarded so I trusted them.

Before you get the surgery they do an assessment to determine if you're eligible. They dialate your eyes and run you through a series of measurements to make sure your eyes are capable of handling the surgery and then ensuring they get the right prescription as to not over/under correct.

anybody have any experience/knowledge of Intraocular lenses? basically implanted contacts.

perceived benefits are reversability, improvability, less permanent change to the eye.

also more expensive...thoughts?

Yeah I was terrified of that too. But my understanding is that it's extremely low. The procedure is highly computerized. So the laser won't even activate unless it and your eye is perfectly aligned. If your eye moves as all it shuts off immediately.

True but I've read on a forum that for one guy a doctor told him to do it but he got 3 other opinions and they said his cornea was definitely too thin and it'd be dangerous

Well damn. Hopefully it was one of those cheap surgery places that did the initial assessment. They were very thorough at my place. I couldn't wear my contacts 1 week prior (glasses are okay) and the assessment took several hours across many different computerized instruments. Then the doctor does a physical check as well. The same applied to the surgery, 1 week no contacts, then they also did another physical assessment to make sure before I went into the surgery room.

Bit of explanation, contacts fuck with your eyes in a way (eye moisture for sure, not sure what else) that could interfere with the assessment.

ah I see. Good to know.

Man i'm fkn pissed off though, I bent my glasses out of shape and now they won't sit on my face... I don't know what to do. These ones are only 8 months old, what the fuck!

my dad got lasik surgery a long time ago. he loves it and hasn't had any regrets.

I bet it's been so long ago that technology for it was a lot worse and carried more risk/discomfort

I know at least 5 people who have gotten their eyes corrected and they are all happy with it as far as I know. My sister had PRK (I think) and ended up having to have it done again because one of her eyes was still off after a couple months. Everything is good now.

That's how it was for my military buddy.

He had been wearing glasses since dinosaurs roamed the earth, got it done when it was just health board approved.

Two weeks of recovery time, laying on a couch with moist patches strapped over his closed eyes.

Then a month of eye drops and dark sunglasses.

He's had perfect vision ever since.

I did prk 2 years ago

Do it

I had laser eye surgery about 1 year ago
no regrets at all, wish i had done it sooner! I highly recommend it

I actually had lasik done in my left eye and PRK done in my right eye so I am intimately familiar with both processes

ask me anything

>I'd wait. Apparently it ruins your night vision. Makes you have blurry halos. Never see stars in the night sky the same way.
this is exactly what happened to my gf

apparently as you get older your pupil dilates less and less so the effects on night vision decrease as you age. it's also different for everyone, mine are pretty small.

Just get some really good expensive contacts. I am near sighted and have a stigmatism but I'm a graphics whore. I'll never go surgery.

they said that huh?
my gf had her eyes fixed by lasik like i said, and they said shit like that to her too, but truth is it got worse over time, the best she could see was 5 days after surgery then it degraded meanwhile the doctor did her best to assplain it as progress to us. the result was far from 100% one of her eyes was particularly bad and that was waved away with oh you wouldn't use just one eye anyways. also apparently what they call 100% vision is 10/20.

Superior NoCut (trademark name for a TransPRK method) here, get out of the way. Not sure if it's only avaliable in Sweden or not though. Seems the machines are German. First done 2009 so probably avaliable everywhere by now. Involves no cutting.

The manufacturer of the machines is German apparently, here's a video.
youtube.com/watch?v=gJgbG1KQ5BQ

I'd never get my eyes cut. Fuck that. This might work if I ever need it, but I won't so I'm lucky.

i got lasik done 12 years ago. best thing i ever did. do not regret it at all.
my night vision isnt the best.. but it hasnt caused any problems

I got Lasik done when I was 19, around 2005. I had profound nearsightedness, and was completely blind beyond a few inches from my face without glasses or contacts. I think my vision was something like -8.75, -8.25 and 20/meaninglessly large number.

I turn 31 next month, and my vision has been 20/10 since the procedure. The only negatives are a bit of starbursting at night, but supposedly it is worse for me than some people simply because I have larger pupils than average. Starbursting occurs when the pupil that allows in light crosses the plane of the incision, so the severity will depend on one's natural pupils along with the quality of the cut.

My mother also got Lasik done the year before I did in her mid-40s and she didn't need reading glasses until recently, but that was due to natural aging in her mid-50s.

I'd recommend it and do it again. However, my case was somewhat atypical, so it might be a different cost/benefit comparison if someone doesn't have as bad of vision.

>my night vision isn't the best

Did it get worse after the surgery? I was considering getting it but as of right now my night vision is absolutely terrible. I'd prefer to not go completely night blind.

If you had to choose one, which one would it be and why?

Burgers prefer cut :)

Your vision either gets repaired or your eye gets fried and you get to wear an eyepatch and look badass

win win

>or your eye gets fried and you get to wear an eyepatch and look badass

[citation needed]

>This is an easy question. The answer is "No." No one has ever been blinded by the laser, and no one is ever likely to be. The excimer laser beam works on the very top-most layer of eye tissue that it strikes. Each successive pulse of the laser removes just a tiny amount of tissue from this top-most layer. No energy from the laser penetrates below the surface of the eye. This is what makes the excimer laser so safe!

>That doesn't mean that nothing can go wrong during laser vision correction. There are risks, and you should be aware of them. However, being blinded by the laser isn't one of the risks.

what was her vision before the surgery?

Also anyone had this done

Femtosecond Lenticule EXtraction -

Femtosecond Lenticule EXtraction (FLEX) is a new form of refractive eye surgery similar to LASIK that creates a lenticule for removal and a corneal flap. Flex uses a single femtosecond laser - compared with Lasik's two - to cut a lens-shaped layer from within the cornea and shape it to achieve improved patient vision. The new treatment works better than Lasik for people with more severe myopia of up to 1,000 degrees. Additionally, the surgery is reversible in many cases, helping those who develop hyperopia or presbyopia as they age. Carl Zeiss Meditec, which is developing the procedure for its VisuMax laser,[1][2] has reported good initial results.[3]

When I was a kid I watched movies in the dark and now I am very sensible to light. Can it be fixed?

I had done Lasik (Femtosecond).
My vision went from -4 (can't see the face of the person in front of me) to perfect vision.
I love to sport so the heavy glasses on my nose were terrible for me. So I'm glad that I had it done.

The eye flap remains a sensitive part they say, so I can never truly do martial arts anymore. At least, on the same level. The doctor says i can do martial arts again, but other doctors on the internet say otherwise.
And I do suffer from a light case of dry eyes.
It has been a year now. And about three times a day I use artificial tears to lubricate my eyes.
(note I use gel tears, because regular tears don't work as well)

With my experience I can tell you that if you would get a severe case of dry eyes your life is over.
You won't be able to open your eyes and it will burn like hell. I can assure you this cannot be taken lightly.

I'm glad I did it. But I would not recommend it to anyone unless he really wants it. The risks are very real.

Oh yeah, as it's mostly automated you should get a doctor with the best equipment.

Before
>have to use glasses

After shitsik
>have dry eyes
>have to use artificial tears three times a day
>have a flap of your eye that was cut and might get dislodged if you get hit hard enough
>get starburst at night

Yeah, seems like something I'd really pay for.

My vision is perfect. I don't have starbursts, halos or anything. So I can't comment on that.
But I agree that it's not ideal. If you can use contact lenses they are probably the better option for most people as they cover most positive aspects of lasering.

Glasses are pretty shit though. With glasses you often have small inconveniences all day long. You cant just lie in bed with glasses watching tv without accidentally bending them. You can't see shit while shaving. I can sport and see at the same time. Nothing heavy is pressing on my nose, causing irritating or falling off if I bend over. I look a lot more attractive now. So it works for me.

i can't decide who to go to

reviews seem so hit and miss.

My dad has done it at least twice now. I remember him coming home and just going straight to bed, because he couldn't have his eyes open for a day. It took three or four years I think, before he had to have it again because his eyesight had gotten bad again.

It's been some years, and he now uses glasses again. Isn't laser correction just a big meme?

Also curious about this:

how have you not gotten used to it? i've had shit eyesight (everything blurry unless it's 10cm away from my face) since second grade and It's not that fucking bad. Quit whining.

Not whining buddy, I'm just tired of it. It really does suck, you can get used to it all you want.

We only have one life, and only one time are we going to be in our 20's. Why spend it uncomfortably if you don't have to?

I got LASIK, didn't affect my night vision at all.