/indie/ - Indie Games General

>Skeletons Edition

>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy,Cookie Clicker, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indies, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

monoko-arts.tumblr.com/
underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Rg1_l.png
geocities.jp/tutiurarara/nef2ss.html
geocities.jp/tutiurarara/file/rpg_rt.zip.
store.steampowered.com/app/365360/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For any Steel Zero fans:

did anyone play the void? would you recommend it?

i didn't play pathologic, but watched a playthrough (only game where i've ever done that) and it was great. waiting for the remake to play it myself.

Has anyone played Siralim 2? Its $7 on Steam right now, great monster-catching RPG

Looks a little mobage-cheap from just the screenshot imo

thats the mobile version, cant find any decent screenshots of the pc version, game is too obscure and i cant take one myself right now

Man they sure sure don't like you huh? ALso marge simpson ripoff? I don't see it at all.

/aco/ is a shit board that shouldn't exist anyway so who cares what they think

Slug guy here, I'm sorry if this is rude to post or anything but I finally got around to making a tumblr. Is it ok if I post it here or would that be like me jsut spamming, it's only got like one post of something I did like a week ago.

post it, not much different from people posting images directly here.

Sorry if what's there's sorta crap.
monoko-arts.tumblr.com/

neat. My only criticism is my concern for where that kind of art would, you know, show up in the game proper.

It's more me messing with her design. I've been having trouble figuring out what I've wanted her to look like for a while now nd I think I've finally nailed her look in that pic.

Is indie playing anything tonight?

Been looking forward to this for awhile. Not a big fan of how the levels are organized in this one. It's like a step down from Pirate's Curse, but still better than Risky's Revenge. Glad they brought the transformations back, with even more variety besides movement (using Monkey to climb up walls and Mermaid to swim through water). While I did notice some funny-looking animations, the overall quality of the sprites and backgrounds is superb. Looking forward to more.

Haven't been playing indie games lately, but the Dragon Fantasy games have been installed on my computer to get played eventually for a while now

DashBored is confusing.
The car is a mess. Trying to get in through the door sends you into the area. To get in you have to activate the trunk
I dont know whats the difference between walking and driving yet
I forgot where I was supposed to go.

Heh nice!
I freakin' love any type of fanart, thanks a lot for the request, and congrats to you for actually getting a delivery!

Here is a colorless WIP for the big bad's portrait, will work more on it tomorrow.

Man /aco/ is shit. We should've got /loli/

Wouldnt' google not host Veeky Forums on their search results then?

She's hardly a loli though.

I think he means the people on aco are jerks and that the board shouldn't have ever been made.

I'm one, maybe two hours in underrail and I'm already more insterested than when I was ten hours in wasteland 2.
Considering buying it. They should have just quit it with the portraits though, they're way too small and most NPCs really don't need one.

Archive is being a bitch at the moment, can I get away with nothing but guns? How important is will for non-psi? Are dodge/evasion mandatory?
Should a pack of rathounds be able to bite me to death if I somehow keep fumbling 90+% rolls?

What if Subnautica was moe

Ironically I haven't actually played that game. Seems like something I'd become obsessed over though, I relaly like weird, alien creatures in like an unknown world. Especially alien sea life. There's just something so fascinating about stuff like that, not sure why though.

>I'm one, maybe two hours in underrail and I'm already more insterested than when I was ten hours in wasteland 2.

Redpill me on Wasteland 2. I was thinking of pirating it. When you say "more interested" do you mean more interested in the plotline or interested in combat?

>They should have just quit it with the portraits though, they're way too small and most NPCs really don't need one.

Yeah, a lot of NPCs have the same portrait, which is why I guess there isn't really any Underrail fanart. Kind of hard to get attached to a character if they're a bunch of clones in terms of appearance. They should have just saved the portraits for special NPCs.

>can I get away with nothing but guns?
Yes. If you have a char with high stealth, traps can be useful too. Even with zero trap skill, you can still use bear traps to create or block off choke points before a battle starts and slow down enemies from reaching you.

>How important is will for non-psi?

As far as I know, non-psi people can do just fine using will as a dump stat.

>Are dodge/evasion mandatory?

No, you can get/craft yourself good armor as well as get/craft special electro-shields.

Once you get better armor, those rathounds will just feel like bugbites. Also, as you level up and put more skill points into guns, you'll hit them more easily. Missing a bunch of 90% rolls just seems like bad luck.

I haven't done much combat in UR yet. But W2 was just so eeeeeeh. Nothing in the game grabbed me. I just sort of went through the motions, and never really got drawn into it.

Any way to sprint out of combat? That walk's slow.

No, but you can craft/buy shoes that make you walk fast. They're called "tabi boots."

*walk faster

>Yeah, a lot of NPCs have the same portrait, which is why I guess there isn't really any Underrail fanart. Kind of hard to get attached to a character if they're a bunch of clones in terms of appearance. They should have just saved the portraits for special NPCs.
I personally hate it when a game does this, when they have a gigantic portrait for the MC's dialogue but nothing for regular NPCs, so you have the dialogue portraits flicking on and off.

I haven't played Underrail, but what I prefer is the stuff that Zun does with some of the newer touhou games, where characters that speak mid-battle will have a dialogue bubble instead of the full portrait/box setup. If they're just going to reserve portraits for NPCs, do it like that.

That would be a positive. More traffic for Sheeky forums

How many NPCs with dialogue actually share portraits. Im sure I havent seen anyone else with Ezra or Jon's portraits

Ezra's is unique, but Jon shares his portrait with the boss of the Scrappers and Colton (the guy you can give Southgate Buxs in exchange for charons to) and a few other guys.

underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Rg1_l.png

Rathounds run away if you drop flares. Ive found no other purpose for flares so far.

Apparently they can help reveal crawlers, but it never worked for me. I think it's implied they help with trap detection (sometimes when there are a shitload of traps all over the place, you'll see a flare lying around.) And there is also a crossbow ability that lets you do bonus damage to someone when you're in the dark and they're illuminated, but it seems really situational so I never took the feat.

Looking at the portraits it's clear a template is used but only 3/9 combinations are ever used
Could have been even larger with sensible color variations

bump

Fuckin mmf

>Trying out a sniper build in Underrail, seeing how far i can get without dying
>About a shoot a lone mutant at the old junkyard
>Snipe, 95% chance to hit
>Miss
>Aimed shot, 95% chance to hit
>Miss
>Die

All hail the troupple fish

don't believe his lies

Heh my no death run ended pretty quick and I gave up on that. Died to some doggos after getting corned. Pacing of the game made me say fuck it to start again...

Yeah, it really feels like there's a built-in streak breaker.

I played some Neftelia 2 this morning. It was a trip. Video probably up on Christmas Day. Here's a link to the game if you're interested - geocities.jp/tutiurarara/nef2ss.html

Could provide a mirror that has the things you need, but the gist is you'll need Japanese RPG Maker 2000 RTP plus this - geocities.jp/tutiurarara/file/rpg_rt.zip.

Set the EXE to Windows XP SP 2, install the RTP with Japanese Unicode settings, and enjoy a neat little Yume Nikki-like.

I played Siralim on my channel several months ago. Ended up having some emotional problems and gave up on the series. I might cover it again sometime.

I want to cum inside her cunt.

Shortstack is probably the term, right? I love me some midget pussy.

HEIL HARVEY

>They should have just quit it with the portraits though, they're way too small and most NPCs really don't need one.

Portraits serve some secondary purpose though. They act as light gems, and they can be targeted instead of the model. It works with your portrait too. For example if you want to use the bandage you don't have to click on your model, you can just drop it on the portrait. In some cases that helps a lot with targeting, especially when you have several enemies standing very close to each other.

More you know
Bandages are more less annoying with no dealing with inventory blocking my character

>Kind of hard to get attached to a character if they're a bunch of clones in terms of appearance.

Eh. I usually just associate a portrait with the first NPC I meet that uses it. So black haired armored dude is Gorsky, redhead guy is Jack, bald guy is Abram, etc. In some cases if a more important NPC shows up later they will become the "canon" portrait holders for me, so skinny black guy is Jon, guy with the prosthetic arm is Buzzer, fully armored guy is Dan, slanted eye short brown hair grill is Vivian.

For everyone else my mind just goes "they kinda look something like this, whatever."

Trying out Hyper Light Drifter. Game itself runs smooth, but I'm hitting some pretty big input limitations on keyboards. Things like not being able to dash upper left, or chaindash while changing direction on move-based orientation.

Is it really THAT specialized for controllers?

Anybody here playerd Satellite reign?

r8 my setup

I have beaten Starseed Pilgrim

They made a game based on Nutella?

>Yeah, a lot of NPCs have the same portrait, which is why I guess there isn't really any Underrail fanart.

I really doubt that is the case. Underrail has about 45k players. Out of those, a fanartist would have to be

1, interested enough in the game to want to draw fanart
2, skilled enough to be able to draw fanart
3, familiar enough with the game to be able to draw something that is recognizable as fanart
4, patient enough to stare at small ass sprites to figure out the design direction
5, skilled enough to be able to reconstruct those designs despite missing a lot of detail and being just an abstract representation of the original concept

So, you know, out of a pool of 45k, what are the chances? A good fanartist who knows his shit can make art that you can instantly recognize for what it is, and add in detail that you don't even instantly notice it wasn't always there. But artist like these are rare.

Another thing is, some games are just simply more likely to attract artists than others. For example before Human Revolution came out, close to no Deus Ex fanart existed, because it just wasn't the kind of audience that attracted and sustained an artist community. Hell, the original game still has very little, and even less that can be considered good. So there.

>come to /indie/ for the first time in my life
>shortly after random user posts my wallpaper
talk about a christmas miracle

There were animated fan films before Human Revolution. How many people played Lisa? That has more fanart then a number of big sellers

>How many people played Lisa?
According to SteamSpy about 160k out of 210k owners. Game has a simple, cartoony artstyle that is easy to imitate though, which helps a lot.

It's a Yume NIkki-like by the same guy who made 14/? and 14/??, Tutiurarara. Technically Neftelia 2 is the sequel to Neftelia, but I can't get it on Tutiurarara's site because of some error. So I recorded a video of me playing the sequel instead that will be uploaded Christmas Day.

It's a game where you basically go around what looks like a multidimensional spaceship dreamland collecting rocks and rods and turning on streetlights.

Some parts of the game remind me a bit of 14/? and Ulayrys, which are by Tutiurarara, and also of &&, which was by Olvin Weplanis and is a game I mentioned in the previous thread. I played maybe 20 minutes but I will probably revisit it again at some point.

>friend recommends me this game
>pirate it
>end up playing all day
I'm going to buy it as soon as my current run ends. The over world plays very similar to mount and blade while the battles are similar to xcom in that you miss a lot and sometimes an orc cleaves your favorite guy in half
I recommend checking it out. Might be posting a bit of my play through here and there for bumps. Hope you guys don't mind the shilling.
store.steampowered.com/app/365360/

Nah, go ahead and shill it. I've been somewhat following news about it and tried to pay attention to codexian shilling, but so far it hasn't really managed to grab my interest. So, I dunno, hype it if you feel hyped.

Orc warriors in this game are way too tough, especially the adults. One of them shoved my front line aside and charged at my archer. Even with axes and dogs surrounding him I couldn't chew through his shield before my archer bled out.

Good thing I let him bleed out so the orc didn't get a chance to execute. Barely managed to survive with a permanent wound.

Hjalmar ended up getting a nasty leg wound that got infected. Luckily the town we stopped by had a temple to treat him. Think I'm going to start heading east into the unexplored lands after stocking up on foodstuffs and getting everyone fully recovered.

>page 10
I let the bugs kill newton.

These half-dude icons are really bugging me. They remind me of the corpses from Darkest Dungeon...

lol

I thought they were pretty ugly at first too but their bottoms halves are like board pieces. They don't bother me anymore

Any infographics or tips for underrail? Is dissassemble useful?

>Is dissassemble useful?
it's required
there's some basic character building guides floating around though I don't have them saved

How does Gun Nut work : Is it a flat 15% max damage bonus, or does it just increase how wide the gap is by 15%?
How long to find a sniper? I'm using pistols in the meantime but several enemies (like the beatles) tank the hits without any problem, and they hit pretty hard. Maybe I should buy a better one.

>How long to find a sniper?
they're going to be expensive to find in stores, you should be keeping a look out to craft your own
Get in melee range of psi beetles so they're forced to run away thus only able to hit once

Still takes me 4 turns of 3 pistol hits to kill one, and that's only because aimed shots sorta reliably deal damage. Sometimes I just roll three 2-4 damage hits in the same turn and the thing crits me for 30. Though to be fair, I have nothing that reduces psi damage beside low will.

I've only seen assault rifles frames in store so far. Haven't found much parts either.

One more question on feats: does expertise scale with crit multipliers? What the fuck does "retain up to 15 movement points in combat while stealth mean" for interloper when it's 10mp to move one case and I have 50 right now?

you have no MP in stealth normally, just your 50 AP
it just gives you 15 MP while stealthed
it's a pretty important feat for stealth characters

What are some indie games like Yume Nikki or OFF? I really love those games and would like more

Oh, okay. I'm probably going to pick it up then. I'm still on the fence about dissassemble though. 10% quality seems pretty big, and so far assembled items all cost a lot more than the sum of their parts.

user if you disassemble something it doesn't give you the parts
it gives you scraps
You'll come to a point in the game where you have so much sellable loot that the vendors wont be able to buy them all. So you'll disassemble the shittier low cost items and craft repair kits(get that blueprint too) thus saving you money on repair kits and making them easier to sell.

Forgot to mention you'll use the repair kits to repair the higher quality items and selling them for more than the repair kit is worth

is the forest any good ? i want some fun survival basebuilding games to play

for 10 bucks it's pretty good
have you looked into subnautica?

That's recycling, isn't it?

yup already put plenty of hours into it

Fun fact, temmie worked on one of the slime girl's animations in the new shantae game

Does /indie/ consider PS+ a good thing for indie games that have already make the bulk of their sales, or one last kick to the teeth for a game that didn't perform as well as hoped?

I've heard that Sony gives the indie devs money to get their game on PS+ for free, and it's kind of a weighing of determining if that amount would be more or less than keeping the game non-free, but I don't really see it as a problem if the devs are getting money out of it still

How much of the loot is random in underrail? Are all containers static?

You cant scum them. A lot of empty locked containers

>like Yume Nikki
LISA: THE FIRST
Neftelia 2

>like OFF
SUITS: A Business RPG

Suits is like OFF but very very bad

DashBored
End Roll the Regretful RPG

I've actually played LISA: THE FIRST, thanks for the second suggestion though, saw it in the thread and was on my way to downloading it.
I'll try these.

Isn't disassemble kind of lame because the components you get back are always degraded? I skipped it on my crossbow build.

>buy battlebrothers
>delete the pirated version
>delete the folder from documents
>delete the steam cloud portion
>install it multiple times and verify game cache
>still gives me the old pirated version
What the fuck you nazi devs let me play the game

Antibirth mod.
I have both Polaroid and Negative.
I have none of the Unlocks and can't decide.
Chest or Dark Room?

MeleeTheShitOutOfTheThrone/10
If only you had Trigger Fingers and Bolt Marrow. Maybe Scary Face.

This is why you don't pirate video games which are currently being sold in your region.

Most of it is semi-random, they randomly select from predetermined loot tables. There is also some hand-placed loot like unique items or oddities, and sometimes a mix of both.

And then there's shit like blueprints and mentors, that can be either static loot, or random in the sense that you will be guaranteed to get one in that specific container, but it's random which one it'll be.

Merry Christmas /indie/.

The hat on OP fits perfectly too.

Who is Cho?

A working strategy for me was when I aimed to craft a .44 Hammere as early as I could and I acquired armor piercing bullets. Cost me a bunch of dough but that shit mowes sown psi beetles, even sentry bots.

mowes down*

Good morning

>Is dissassemble useful?
It's convenient for getting back components that don't have quality (scopes, rapid reloaders, muzzle brakes etc.) without having to buy/find them again.

It's also useful since you can dissasemble weapons/armors and sell their components when the trader doesn't want weapons anymore.

But other than that it sucks. The 10% quality drop makes it pretty useless. You don't realy need to get back the scopes/rapid reloaders/brakes etc. because they are pretty common and easy to find and money from selling components is not worth a feat.

It would be great without the quality drop.

>it's required
>implying
It offers literally nothing beyond beong able to make a little more money and save some components that are abundant anyways.

>
>How does Gun Nut work : Is it a flat 15% max damage bonus, or does it just increase how wide the gap is by 15%?
What's the difference?

>How long to find a sniper?
Depends on your luck. The earliest you can get is to craft it.

>I'm using pistols in the meantime but several enemies (like the beatles) tank the hits without any problem, and they hit pretty hard. Maybe I should buy a better one.
You can buy AP ammo for beetles. Grenades and mines work well too.