Duratec Foxbody idea

So Veeky Forums, I've got an idea for a Foxbody. 302 and 351 and they're variations have been done to death, what I'm more interested in is making a poor man's SCO by using the Duratec 23 from a 04+ Ranger.
What I'm wondering is since the Duratec 2.3 and MZR are essentially the same engines, will parts for the Soeed3 fit/work on the Duratec?

Other urls found in this thread:

cosworth.com/media/335568/duratec_components_catalogue_2009_v1.0.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=B1iGiyYMINQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uUgIcavXeZ8
wot-tech.com/
milzymotorsports.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=ansrVFoRr_w
youtube.com/watch?v=2h7dCHn2XcA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can it be done from a v8 shell? I ask because the 4 bangers didn't come with an lsd.

Just get a ls1 fag

Yeah, no
The plan would be to get a LX 4CYL shell and swap in the 8.8 from a GT

Mounts are different than the Lima, also the wiring harness will be a PITA.

>will parts for the Soeed3 fit/work on the Duratec?
unlikely. most parts like pistons and internals and such will work, but anything for the head won't. The Ford Duratec versions didn't have VVT while the Mazda MZR variants did.
That said, Cosworth offers an entire catalog specifically for the Ford Duratec variant, with crate engines up to 280 HP N/A.
cosworth.com/media/335568/duratec_components_catalogue_2009_v1.0.pdf

Do you mean SVO? I'm sure the cheapest way to get a poor man's svo is to swap a wrecked svo's power with plumbing into some $400 roller

I believe he wants a more modern I4. Something with DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder. oh and decent aftermarket support

just get something cheap you can put retarded amounts of boost into

While entirely possible, this is a waste of money. You can build a 350hp 302 for less than a grand, that's why everyone for it.

Well he's going to have to do custom plumbing then so it's not going to be a poor man's anything. Unless it has a manifold that matches outputs with the SVO's I guess. Have people done that?

like a Duratec I4?

That's not even the most expensive part. He's going to have to wire the whole fucker and set up a whole computer system.

People hotwire harnesses on popular turbo 4s to just run the engine I think. I kind of like American turbos so I really would like to see where something like this was accomplished on a budget though like you I am dubious.

I mean it's novel, everyone likes a special snowflake, but at the end of the day you got to ask yourself, what's my goal? Horsepower? Revs? Budget build?

There's a reason some things are done to death. They're cost effective and work

Power/weight ratios and balance on a budget but then you might as well change platforms I guess.

The Cosworth catalog includes an ECU and wiring loom so there's that to consider. The catalog was built for people putting those Cosworth YD (the Cosworth name for their tuned Duratec) engines into Caterhams.

Then I'd get a turbo Miata or turbo an db

But on a budget, any discussion engine not designed for a car is going to cost a fuckload.

>Budget
>Cosworth
I doubt anything will be cheap. You could literally install a more powerful 302 for 1000 dollars.

Like fuck man, your only building that 4 banger because you want to. Nothing wrong with that but it's not really justifiable

OP here, I see that going the Duratec way is going to be more of a hassle and over budget than I originally thought, it would seem that to stay turbo 4 it's best to keep with a Lima, now I know it's SOHC 8V, but isn't there a better head out there? I've heard of people doing the Volvo head swap but that's going to be a bitch of a job so isn't there a aftermarket 8V head out there? Esslinger or something?

>You could literally install a more powerful 302 for 1000 dollars.
and be hundreds of lbs over your weight goal

Best option is to use the powerplant from a wrecked SVO or T-bird turbocoupe. Whole running turbocoupes can be had for less than $1000.

The volvo head swap isn't too bad. And IIRC you can do an 8v volvo head that will flow better and be easier to swap than the DOHC 16v one.

And if weight savings is your goal, buy a notchback shell since they're lighter and the SVO only came as a hatchback which gives you a little bit of an excuse to do the swap instead of buying an svo

Are you set on a fox-body Mustang? You could always get a turd gen GM F-body instead and get better handling.
And swapping a newer V6 into the V6 equipped cars isn't all that hard so long as you don't use a 3800 or the DOHC 3.6,

If money is no option, dart block all the way.

But yeah it'll be 150 pounds more, but the torque and HP could make up for it

Once again, you could go through the effort to do that, or you could spend the same or a tiny bit more and get an aluminum ls.

>but dat V6 noise
youtube.com/watch?v=B1iGiyYMINQ
>turbocharged 3500 V6

youtube.com/watch?v=uUgIcavXeZ8
This one uses a turbocharged 3900

>or you could spend the same or a tiny bit more and get an aluminum ls.
it doesn't work that way. it's actually a LOT more expensive to convert a V6 car to accept a V8. The actual sub-frames are different and need to be switched.
Swapping a 3100, 3400, 3500 or 3900 into a 2.8, 3.1, or 3.4 V6 Camaro is child's play. Despite the 3100/3400/3500/3900 only being used in FWD, the mounts all line up and they even have the same transmission bolt pattern. And because of how they were designed, you can convert the OBD2 engines to run on OBD1 hardware which makes them piss-easy for swaps. And if you know where to go, you can get some serious heads and internals for them.

This is true. You would also need better brakes and rear end from a v8 car.

Point is, if you want to build a car for power it's best to start with a car built for power

The brakes and rear end are interchangeable. People ignored the V6 cars because the big name performance aftermarket overlooked them to concentrate on the tried and true V8 instead of innovating. So smaller companies took over that segment.
These companies live and breathe those 60* V6 engines.
wot-tech.com/
milzymotorsports.com/

OP here
I did consider a turd gen, but I'm more interested in doing a Fox, I appreciate all the suggestions considering the F-Body, but the Notchback Fox is something I've wanted since I was a kid, and weight is definitely a factor but it isn't for a road course car, it's just going to be my fuck around/weekend car

Just get one with a 302. Do you want to work on it or drive it? Plus 302's sound fantastic with h-pipes.

Appreciate the input, and I've thought long and hard about it, and I want to do the poor man's SVO

Builders go with v8's because they're the best of the best. There's no way around it. Please ruin something else instead of a mustang for your special snowflake build.

dollar for dollar nothing will beat a 302 on a used set of slicks and 150 shot of nitrous.
Unless you're a master fabricator or got enough time to search the junkyards for a cheap ls swap and DIY the whole thing.

How about you eat my ass, Mustangs are some of the most produced vehicles in the world and that includes the Foxbody, sorry Cletus but I don't want no veeyate

>There's no way around it.
>completely ignoring everything for a V8
Spotted the boomer.

go read up on speed 3 engines before thinking about that swap, it wont take boost and will shit in your face when you think about modding it.
Youre better off modding the stock i4 engine with non oem parts.

By all means do what you want. Enjoy spending the rest of your time owning it mumbling and justifying your slow mustang.

Have you considered being a special snowflake superficially and being conventional with your internals? Since you want a notch anyway have you considered a Fairmont or Zephyr?

Ecotech

>justifying your slow mustang.
keep making excuses for losing to a 4 cylinder.
youtube.com/watch?v=ansrVFoRr_w

When Detroit went to hell.

>Assad GM fangirl

Jesus Christ, isn't the poor man's SVO snowflake enough? Fuck if I wanted another Fox I'd just get a 87-88 TBird turbo and call it a day

I meant to go with the 302. Zephyrs and Fairmonts are much lighter than Thunderbirds.

A poor mans svo is an svo. They are cheap enough already

>A modded car is faster than a stock car

That really got the noggin joggin

>looking for a turd gen or fox
>craigslosts
>fox w/ 2515050504508042 miles stock engine
>$15,000 ITS A CLASSIC

>turd iroc with 5.7 sweet sweet 230hp TPI
>$3000

Fox's are cool but fuck the prices in the south

>talks about modifying V8
>bitches about being beat by a modified 4 cylinder
nice double standard.

that cobalt doesnt sound stock to me

COPART
C
O
P
A
R
T

Ecoboost
Manual
Not completely fucked
Can still be parted out
Less than $5000

Kit Kat I have no idea where you live but cheap and plentiful are two words that don't go with SVO Mustang
>I know what I got
All day long man

why

Are you implying there isn't a V8 faster than a 12.5 quarter mile?

never said that. Are you saying there aren't faster 4 cylinders?
youtube.com/watch?v=2h7dCHn2XcA
>this isn't even the fastest 4 cylinder

OP, you're going to get a car that handles like ass and doesn't have the ridiculousness of a V8. I would strongly consider something Japanese if you insist on a 4 cylinder. The Fox's one redeeming quality stock is the V8, even as choked as it is.

Why? I'm not going that route because I would end up paying less going the Foxbody route
>implying Foxbodys can't be made to handle
I already said earlier in the thread that this is a fuck around car not a road course car

It''s the exact opposite in Virginia. Foxes are everywhere here.

The Esslinger heads are expensive as hell but they work pretty well, same thing if you can find a BoPort head/cam combo

The stock turbo heads can flow pretty well with some port work, an example of this is my TurboCoupe. It has a very slightly ported head and it makes almost 60 more ft/lbs of torque at the wheel than other cars with the same part combo

>BoPort head/cam combo

Elaborate pls

OP here, I'm in VA and while there's a good amount of them I wouldn't say they're everywhere and prices run the gamut from dirt cheap to WTF are they thinking

Theres a guy that was active on the forums a while back (BoPort) and he ported heads and come up with custom cam, spring and valve combos that worked better than almost all of the off the shelf options.

Afaik he stopped a while back, but theres still a bunch of shit floating around that you can still find for sale and its all pricey because it was all made to order

OK, considering this guy is no longer active and shit is expensive, would the off the shelf options be good for at least 350whp with port work/Esslinger head and cam?

do you still own the super duty?

Yeah, and youre going to be spending assloads of time working on just getting it working and then it will still be shit in all aspects, even just for fucking around. Have you driven a fox? I have one. These things will bite you very easily because of their shut suspension design.

350whp is attainable with a stock ported head and a stock cam (if you arent scared of a bunch of boost)

Youd need a different turbo, none of the factory 2.3T turbos can support quite that much, a good fuel system, head work, intake work, an intercooler and more than likely a quarterhorse tune

I used to see them in Cali all the time. Not so much anymore in Colorado. Cheap=\ plentiful.

My f250? Yep.