Jeep Reliability

In all honesty, and memes aside, how reliable are the 2012 and newer Jeep Wranglers with the 3.6 V6? I've been strongly considering buying one, so I'm looking for answers preferably from people who have had first hand experience with their reliability or lack thereof.

>inb4 pictures of old ass Jeeps with broken axles

can you really afford nothing better?

Depends on what your definition of "better" is in this case.

proper offroader then a defender if europe or original jeep if US , for an 4x4 squashy on roader then any station wagon or estate with 4wd will work. 4x4s are just rollover death traps on the road.

Ex had a new Cherokee trail hawk and had repeated strange problems. That's my only experience with them. So I'd say get a land cruiser my man.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had considered a Land Cruiser before but the price tag deterred me.

What about a Prado or an FJ Cruiser?

That's some top notch incoherent rambling. From that mish mash of words you've posted, I think I gather you're implying a Defender or an older Jeep of some arbitrary age is better offroad than a modern Wrangler.
Elaborate.

They are fine.

Hell, any modern car is fine as long as you follow the scheduled maintenance.

I work at a jeep dealer myself and most of the problems with the wranglers is general maintenance.

The 3.6L has cylinder head problems but its relatively rare. It comes with a NAG1 transmission which is imo the most reliable transmission Chrysler has ever used in a production vehicle.

The 4x4 services can get pretty expensive though since both front and rear diffs use a full synthetic fluid and a most of the time a limited slip friction modifier.

Just follow your maintenance schedules like said and you shouldn't run into major problems.

Lastly lots of plastic interior shit will break on you but that's modern cars more then its jeeps.

Oh and dont expect anything "performance" because they are just not.

>most reliable
>chrysler

that's like saying "most desirable cancer"

we used to replace the 85RFE (8speed) and the 62TEs weekly and never touched the NAG. Since a shitload of software flashes the 8 speed is far far less commonly replace.
Stay away from the 9 speed and the 62TE in the vans though, they live up to the Chrysler transmissions.

oh i forgot to add, in my year and a half working there we have done ~20 8 speeds (all within my first 6 months) 1 NAG and about ~30 62TE's.
The 62TE is more common but the NAG is in all chargers 14 and older, wranglers, challenger before 14, and iirc somewhere along the line it was in the grand cherokee too.
So it is super commonly used but like i said ive only seen us replace one at my dealership and we think it was the customers fault (it look abused, the vehicle had enormous tires and gearing).

I also have considered an FJ. Very solid vehicle and formidable off-roader, but it looks like a Tonka sandbox toy. I don't know anything about a Prado. There's just something about a Wrangler Unlimited that I can't resist.

Thank you user. This is the type of reply I want. I have never heard anybody talk shit about the reliability of a newer Wrangler until I got on Veeky Forums, and all of the shit talking is never accompanied by facts. I'll keep your post in mind.

Many modern Jeep models suffer from terrible Chrysler electrical problems. If it's true reliability you want, get a YJ.

>wrangler unlimited
post tits.

They have copious amounts of hair on them if that's what you're after.

Yes.
Do it.

How fucked am I if I want to put a 4.0l and AX15 in a newish wrangler?

Only women and cucks drive unlimiteds. Get a 2 door or get a 4runner.

What's the appeal behind a Jeep? Serious question.

Same as any other custom motor swap, dimensions should be OK to fit but the engine might actually sit pretty far forward

Agreed. I used to be a 4L I6 curmudgeon, but after seeing these things in service, I have nothing bad to say. Good economy, service life so far seems solid. Much better power delivery.

>fiat
>reliable
loving every lmao

Stay away from 12 and early 13 production dates. My 12 had the cylinder head replaced and the transmission cooler lines replaced. Both were recalls and issue free until I traded it at 99k for a 17 jkur. I considered a 4runner or land cruiser. Having owned and 86 4runner and other Yodas nothing has been as reliable but cruisers are too old( for my dd) and the 4runner, while tremendously capable, doesn't have the appeal of the jeep. I have nothing but praise for the toys but I do like having a removable top and doors along with locking diffs at both ends in solid axles. The aftermarket is endless as well. A jk or jkur on a decent suspension and 35 tires is quite capable and still reliable on the stock axles.

Yo curmudgeon, what heads fit where a 2686 sat?

Anyone have experience with early 2000s Grand Cherokees? I'm considering a 2003 model with a 4.0L I6 and 4wd for this winter (also going to put good winter tires on whatever I end up getting). Am I retarded or is this a decent option?

Fjs trail teams edition are absolute fucking animals, reliable sturdy and look okay, boss has one and we work tile and he constantly has tons of extremely heavy shit in the back or towing. Still runs like new and can literally climb vertical. Oh and 3 windshield wipers!

Electrical fuckpit. Just get a 2001 XJ instead, much less to go wrong but plenty of gadgets.

Do you recommend any other midsize 4wd SUVs? Mainly I'm looking for something with decent clearance and handling for snow, gets okay mileage, and has more storage space than my generic econocar

How do you feel about being penetrated?

>implying a Toyota 4Runner isnt a massive soccer mom car.

But seriously, what's wrong with the Unlimited? it's literally the same thing as a 2 door with a lower center of gravity and more storage space. it's just as capable as the 2 door off road with the exception of the break over angle. I don't get your logic.

Unless you live in the middle of a big city, I find it hard to believe you seriously don't know what the appeal of a Wrangler is.

Customization options are limitless due to a ridiculous aftermarket and a borderline modular design-- almost everything on a Wrangler can be quickly swapped out for an aftermarket alternative if you desire.

They are the only convertible (and door removable) midsize SUV for sale in the US.

One of the best off-roading vehicles currently made.

An astronomical resale value. They retain like 60% to 70% of their new MSRP after 5 years.

These reasons among others. They're just unique. There's nothing else like them.

I don't know, but I figure I won't have to worry about it since I don't plan on running into a downed tree like a horse into a spear.

Not relevant to reliability, but I rented a brand new (at the time) Wrangler in 2013. Hated that engine something fierce. My 96 Grand Cherokee with the I6 4.0 was way better. Torque at low RPM is what's needed in a Jeep. You really had to wind up that 3.6 to get anywhere.

mmm...kinky

Never trust a Chrysler engine.

My knowledge is limited to vehicles carrying the 4.0L, sorry. Land cruisers have meme status for a reason, though. Look there for other options.

Pentastar is p. bulletproof.

The Hurricane seems high strung as fuck though, worried about it.

>assuming people on Veeky Forums are real enthusiasts

One alternative to newer jeeps is the fj cruiser.
Pretty much just a japanese jeep desu

I honestly dont know too much about problems with modern jeeps so i cant give any input but the fj's and alternative i guess
Implying having a tonka toy of your car on the dashboard/glovebox isnt fun