>Noob? Read this:
>Webms with sound
>Previously on /dbt/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D268WUQbTQg
youtube.com/watch?v=04AHOdeU9es
fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/5920-aaron-colton-s-fz09-build.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sportbikes modded for touring duty can be good but there are some issues.

Like you mentioned, most if not all pure sportbikes are going to be terrible for 2-up riding.

Sportbikes are not engineered to tune out vibrations. A sportbike will almost always be more uncomfortable on the NVH front.

Fuel mileage both in miles per gallon and miles per tank will be worse on a sport bike. Most get around 35-0mpg and around 140-150 miles to a tank if you're being ginger when most touring bikes can squeeze 200+ miles out of a tank.

Touring accessory options are typically very limited with most sport bikes, there are a few exceptions but expect some form of fabricating an existing solution to fit or only finding small soft bags for a sportbike application.

Unless you go literbike or bigger (bye bye fuel mileage) expect poorer low rpm performance compared to a dedicated sport tourer. Not a big issue for some people, a huge issue for others.

>sportbike
>literbike or bigger
>poor low RPM performance

GSXR750

>suzuki

at least it's not honda

what bike is this dude on
youtube.com/watch?v=D268WUQbTQg

As a former Hondafag, I agree.

Hondas used to be awesome but now they're mediocre at best.

Will be buying Yamaha's almost exclusively for the foreseeable future.

sport tourers a best
>sport bikes too uncomfortable
>nakeds too windy
>tourers too boring
>cruisers too poser
>dualsport too windy and too slow

Sport tourers let you ride to the twisties, then enjoy the twisties. Once my TL and DR sell, I'm either going bandit or sprint.

YZ250

daily reminder slowfag bikecunts to stay gtfo off of my touge tyty

>didn't get the get

>sport bikes too uncomfortable

Woah we got someone over 30 here

Try doing 600km on a supersports and wave your barely-broken-in-dick around again.

> →

Converting a sportbike is a bad idea. Shit like adding risers, lowering pegs etc is a neverending and expensive way of finding the next weakest link, then eventually you find that your knees don't lock into the tank anymore because of the out-of-design ergos and that your mongrel bike is hard to sell.

If you're going to do any seriously long trips, you'll find your converted sportbike will get on your nerves.
>no luggage tiedowns
>only small/generic soft bags available
>soft, agressively profiled sport tires square off in no time
>suspension/geometry too stiff and twitchy for long interstate sections
>2 up is cruel to your passenger
>no center stand for daily chain lube
>alternator output barely enough to run headlights and CDI
etc

Get the right tool for the job basically.

Repeat that in American, cowboy. Yaknow, inches, feet, nazi heatometers.

As someone who's ridden sportbikes exclusivly in their 20's and 30's. They are fucking too uncomfortable for sport touring.

Spend two hours on a sport bike and you are hating life.

They are """comfotable""" for hour long stints or less. but put any real distance on a sport bike and you will be wishing for something more suited for the job.

I rode my F4i from outside LA to the Bay Area up the PCH in my 20's. Was an 9 hour ride. I swore never to do it again without the right bike. And that had a $300 Corbin seat on it. It literally was painful on wrist, arms, back, and ass. And two hours into such a ride you can forget any meaningful "sport" riding because your throttle hand is too numb for anything resembling good throttle control and you're too sore to move around in the seat.

On my R6 it would be death.

why not get a proper bike for touring?

>9 hours on an F4i

>hello wind blast my old friend
>i've come to
>WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm thinking about it. See:

>he cant ride a naked bike
Why are people such bitches about a little bit of wind anyway?

People do sport tour F4i's but they set them up for it properly. I had stock height clipons and rearsets with the only "comfort" mod being a very nice Corbin seat.

With risers at least I would have been in a lot better shape.

Now riding 2.5 on my R6 out to Mulholland is almost enough to make me cry. but it's got the stock plank seat and I'm older now. Usually I take a good 30-45 minute breather and eat something to recuperate before hitting the twisties.

Pic related, my old """tourbike""" F4i

well that and the xjr1300 are probably the best choices on the market.

>2.5
2.5 hours.

It's just the looks.

99% of fairings don't do shit unless you lay on the tank, but at least you don't look like a cuck

>Nice cafe racer dude! Is that a CX500 or a harley sportster with an ironic honda? Super sweet broheim.

>riding sportbikes for 20 years
>still rides a 600

liters are for kids with tiny peters

There is no way i would tour with a naked bike.

Even commuting on my WR is annoying compared to my R6 because of the wind blast. And my R6 has a babby fairing meant for tucking.

With a real touring fairing you can get real comfy.

I see, you're one of those who take it up the ass because "it's more comfy".
To each his own.

I perfer bikes that provide wind protection, both practically and in looks.
You prefer something different.

No need to get assblasted about it and sperg out retard.

Personally i have never really found a problem with wind on a naked bike, it is the bugs that are the problem, i have to put my bug shield on for spring each year otherwise i have to pull over and clean my helmet all the time.

"wind isn't a problem guys"
t. rides on the freeway for

i don't ever go on freeways on my bike why would i?
i ride to and from work most days and on the weekends i normally go for a cruise to find new roads

I've done full day trips (10 hours or so of riding) on my sport naked and never felt any fatigue. Usually going 40% over the speed limit too.

some old fag crashed into me

his insurance says his car is a different colour than what it is

does that matter or no

you aint gettin shit nigga

That's an odd looking Yamaha. Do you know what model it is?

Also can confirm doing more than 1 hour at over 100km/h on a naked bike is an absolute nightmare.

I then put the most humongous windshield I could buy on my bike and it became maximum comfy. Ugly as fuck, but comfy.

also
>off work until next year
aww shiat

naked trx850 user. is dat sum mt-03?

I'm tempted to get a 250 as a second bike, put a huge front sprocket on it, and just commute on it forever while I enjoy a funbike on the weekends.

Mt03 was a 660 single
Now i think they're gonna remake it with the 321 twin

***THE PERFECT BIKE***

chassis
>beautiful alloy trellis
>engine visible/prominent
>hossack front end
>duolever rear end
>shaft drive
>quality sealed bearings
>grease fittings for easy maintenance

***ENGINE***
>at least 100 hp
>abundant torque at all revs
>butter smooth FI
>things like air and oil filters cheap and easy to change
>air cooling
>lock nut adjustable lifters

***FEATURES***
>all fairings quickly removable via Dzus fasteners or similar
>ABS and stability control with off switch
>hard luggage available
>fuel gauge
>clock
>power outlets on dash

Bandits are kind of close, but the chassis is basic bitch.

ABS and stability control are for cucks.

It is yeah. Had it for about a year. It was a fun bike.

I do have a 250 (with the default gearing though) and it isn't really that fun. It's just basic transportation really, it gets you from A to B but after a while on it you start to think "Hell I could go to work on something nicer that is actually fun or useful for other things like touring or shitbiking".

I think the key might be to own something low value that you don't have to worry about much, but not necessarily boring as a 250 with an awful build quality made for 3rd world countries.

As soon as I can sell another bike I have I'll probably get something else to commute on. No idea what though, maybe one of these or maybe a dualsport or maybe some old CBR/VFR (if I can find it) in need of some love or god knows what.

>>butter smooth FI
isnt the pictured bandit carbed?

So, kinda like my bike in touring setup. Usually I ride it without the windshield and luggage.

>Hell I could go to work on something nicer that is actually fun or useful for other things like touring or shitbiking
I commute on my 08 dr650, and it's actually stunningly competent. Plus you can use it for all your usual dualsport fun. My issue is that it's a $6k, low mileage bike and it feels like overinvestment in basic bitch transportation. But I'm in no rush to sell because commuting on it is so based.

BMW tempting but I'm well frightened of the maintenance. I know they're reliable, but when it comes time to actually work on it, I feel like they need lots of special tools and the parts can be expensive.

It does tick a lot of boxes, though. I hope they make a decent sport tourer on the RnineT platform because that could tempt me enough to actually buy one.

i think fatigue is part of the journey and why i prefer touring on naked bikes

sweat and grime makes the evening's rest all that sweeter

Just regular oil+filters-type maintenance yearly/enough kilometers and every other year check valve clearance+throttle synch and you´re good to go. Everything is so understressed, that stuff really doesn´t break. Only "special" tool that I need is a beer mug lookin oil filter removal tool(I don´t know wtf they call it in english) and it was something like 5€ at the local tool shop. My bike is a ´95, so the parts for it are not expensive, but I cannot say for other models.
It could get expensive, if you live in the US, because, atleast on Veeky Forums, people complain, that if it´s something even remotely exotic or rare, bike- and car shops will absolutely pillage and rape you out of money. On the other hand, this is Veeky Forums, anything that is more expensive than a buspass is a disaster.

I've been really happy riding the standard r ninet for 400-500 miles at a time,

If you want to sport tour why not just get an r1200rt or something

what bike?

drz400

I'm short as shit. What's the best touring bike with no more than 31" of seat height?

Bmw r nine k

Grom

As a rule of thumb, only dirt bikes, adventure/dual sports and very track oriented bikes have more than 31" seat height. There are some rare exeptions to this thou.
Honda Goldwing, Harley-Davison Ultra Glide and BMW R1600GTL are the top doggos at the time.

Finally finished up my friends gsxr 750, the fairings are in shit shape but w/e, now I can go riding with him on my bandit. I will be going to pick up my old Honda 650 nighthawk today and get that all fixed up and probably sell it to a coworker

What's the current status of SEM

G R O W L & S H A K E
R
O
W
L
&
S
H
A
K
E

Been driving à 2010 hornet without à windshield, more than an hour of hihhway was a pain in the ass, wind's pushing you all around, and i'm a bit fit so no spaghetti arms....
But since i'm riding the Bertha i dont feel à thing

>160km/h on the hihhway, windshield half raised
> Don't feel a fucking thing

Correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't there be a lock nut?

JB Weld it and you are good to go m8.

cancelled because of berlin attacks

Noice user. Glad it turned out okay.

Any TODOs or is it finished by this point?

Also, your fairings are fine lol

I just want to ride my bike again :(

Is "MOTO MADNESS/""""""'dirtyhusky69""""""" a furry

ya

ye

wait for real

>dirtyhusky69

youtube.com/watch?v=04AHOdeU9es

what bike is this?

fz09 apparently

fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/5920-aaron-colton-s-fz09-build.html

fuck off Neil Kee

FZ-09?

thanks a lot

Yamaha DRZ400 triple

honda hayabusa

Hooner 9000

H-hh-hello mada-me, c-cc-could you help me with s-ssome directions please?

How many miles should I expect a 2009 KLR650 to have? Thinking of buying one. Kelly Blue Book says 12000 miles, but that seems high to me.

High? It's less than 2,000/yr. I live in the northeast and put a little over 6,000 on my bike per year. I would imagine someone living in warmer climates where you ride all year could be around 20,000/yr.

that's a little over 1300 miles a year, not all that crazy

shouldn't matter. they can go by VIN to make sure it's the same vehicle.

Not high on a per-year basis, but high in general for a new rider who doesn't want to have to replace large parts of the bike soon.

I'm seriously talking out of my ass, the only bikes I've owned are a 50cc moped and a 125cc dirt bike when I was a kid.

So 12k miles is alright? What's a good price for a 2009 klr?

Those things can easily handle a ton + barely run it at 12k.

very cheap, ancient shitbike. Dated, much better alternatives.

such as?

The first bike I had came with a windscreen. Thought of taking it off but just left it on. Was driving down the highway one day and a rock got kicked up and hit the windscreen just below the top, right in the center. That would have hit my face or neck if the windscreen wasn't there. Had to replace it but never road without one after that.

BMW F650, KTM 640 adventure

640 adventure? Seriously?

Both those bikes are extremely similar to the KLR 650, but with harder to find parts. Stop being a special snowflake.

they're the better performing motorcycles

/dbt/ how the fuck do you balance tires on single sided swingarm bikes? I took the rim off took it into a shop and had em put the tire on. Anyways he said he couldn't balance it, because he doesn't have the machine that will accept the single sided swingarm rim. He said I bought a "high quality tire" and it has a factory balance that it should be fine. The fuck! Is it fine? I won't know till thousands of miles from now!

>letting yourself be bullshitted like that
>mfw

It's not that big of a deal bro. This might just be some bro-science, but think of all the forces involved when your tire is spinning rapidly. You have the weight of the tire, the wheel, and any other reciprocating mass involved in the process - all of which is probably between 15-20 lbs in total. You really think 21 grams worth of some wheel weights is going to have any significant effect?

Well the fuck am I spose to do! I'm gunna have to buy the shit myself I called 3 dealers non of em can balance it!

Just found a shop that can do it. WTF do I do? Rip it off? As you can see I had to take the exhaust off to do it. I can prolly rip it off in 30 minutes but.

is that the 600 or the 900? I really want to get a 600 PC41 next year, how do you like it?

also, not the guy you asked, but at my old shop, we always used a contraption using a jaw vice, a rod of metal and then just did it eyeballing, and it always worked