Hello, my br/o/thers

Hello, my br/o/thers.

I'm getting older, as we all do, and I'm looking for a comfortable ride. I'm only 30, so I'm not completely sold on a 6,000 land barge with no performance. Maybe something with a supple ride, but still has a bit of roughness around the edges to keep me entertained.

I've owned nothing but manuals my whole life, so eliminating the third pedal is a tough decision, but I think a welcomed comfort when dealing with commuting, long drives, and maybe the wife taking over after I've had one too many at our local Applebee's on date-night.

I'm looking at either a 2010 Lexus LS460, or a 2008 Lexus ISF. What does Veeky Forums think?

Which would you pick? Or suggest an alternative with a $30k price tag, performance, comfort, and reliability?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ee5tWOiqwMs
clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-present/583280-supercharger-for-lexus-ls460.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you me?

Get a MINT is 250 with manuel

3k civic

>long drives
You just stick her in 5th or 6th and cruise

>and maybe the wife taking over after I've had one too many at our local Applebee's on date-night.

Take an hour or two and show her how to drive the car, she wont drive it everyday from the sound of it so just a - b once and awhile is ok

Don't get an automatic if you really dont know if you want to leave manuel

I went from manual to auto and now I'm back with manual because I missed it too much.

As for traffic, just stick it in 2nd

Just my .02

I've heard great things about the ISF, OP.

If I was in a similar position I would go for that one.

Where you live, is driving a truck and option?

Lexus dual mass clutch is almost like an automatic. Real smooth.

Nice as fuuuu

>dual mass clutch

>2008 Lexus ISF
>supple ride
Edmunds.com describes it as having a "rock-hard suspension"

>not talking about the superior option... shame on y'all.

Are you a literal retard?

Buy a 2008-2010 100k+ miles used Infiniti G37 or G37x coupe or sedan for like $9000

Save the rest of your money

Done

The choice could not be easier.

ISF if you can afford to keep it.
Brakes pad and rotors wears down quick even on regular driving. And they are expensive.
Takes about 9qt of oil every 5k.
The wheels a scratch magnet.

Manual shift mode are great because it locks up the torque converters. And it shifts like dual clutch.

Still cheaper than C63.

Pro tip:

If you do decide to go IS-F, go 2011 and up. There were a ton of changes for that year, including a revised suspension for better daily driving, and improved steering feel.

>Looks at the ISF
>Doesn't consider an M3, RS4 or C63

...You're asking for it, aren't you?
The LS isn't a bad car at all and will probably suit the job, however there's the 5-series, E-class, Jag XF, Caddy CTS (assuming murica) to consider as well.
Heck, if you could find a Passat R36, that's be a rare gem.
The ISF by all accounts is harsh, and that 8-speed is better used like a DCT rather than an auto.

Audi S4/S5 would be perfect for him.

IS250 stinks, and the manual sucks shit.

OP I dont know how wealthy you are, how much space you have or how fucked you can be, but maybe buy two cars?
A manual and an Automatic.

Obviously spend more on the Auto, as planned, as your daily and whatever. But if youre going to miss manual, and it sounds like you are, a cheap, kind of fast manual car could be alot of enjoyment for you. And you wouldnt have to really care about it, it would be a fun paddock basher of sorts to have a quick blat in when you feel the need.

Or you could get into motorcycling if youre inclined, you still get the satisfaction of gear changes from that.

Sorry to break it to ya, but no IS-F is going to have a comfortable ride. IS350 would be a much better daily driver and is still very quick. I would check out the Lexus GS series as well.

Save your money and get a V6 accord coupe that's 2008+

Hey everyone. Thank you for the input! I just wanted to respond to some of your posts...

I know about the 2011+ revision for the ISF, so I'll probably be looking at those.

I understand the ride is a little less supple than other vehicles, but most reviews say it's juuust barely on the line of intolerable, which I think will be nice enough for touring, but stiff enough for fun drives.

The less than cloud-like ride quality is the main reason I am also considering the LS460, but at 380hp and 4500lbs, vs the ISF's 418hp and 3780lbs, it would be a larger sacrifice in the fun factor, but would give a huge boost in comfort. Should I be looking at the LS460 Sport, or even the newer LS460 F Sport?

A lot of you suggested audi's and merc's, but I've had bad experiences with German cars. Mainly reliability and obscene maintenance costs, so I'm staying away from those.

I do own a second car: 2000 Honda Insight (5MT), but that's mainly for trips out of state and racking up miles. I think I'll be okay with the 8-speed automatic. Maybe a 3rd car for track days would be nice (old miata probably).

GS-F is gangster as fuck too, but still damn expensive. Still waiting for that used price to drop more :-(

Dont forget the stupid fucking grey side mirrors

WHY

So really you've already decided you want an ISF and will probably ignore us if we told you that there are BETTER cars out there for the same money.

Lexus isn't immune to obscene luxury maintenance costs either; it's silly to think that, "it's just a Toyota" applies here.
Audi's "it's just a VW" doesn't prevent the costs racking up, so why would Lexus be any different?

Not OP, but in a similar situation. Looking at the IS250 vs ES350, and possibly the Audi A4.

I'm always interested in the opinions of others, these are just my first picks. Someone suggest a Q37, which is actually a really nice car that I've also considered before posting this thread.

Also, I've read a lot of reviews that has remarks a out lexus maintenance and reliability being the best out of most brands. That's another reason I'm interested. Same was said for honda, but an Acura TSX is a bit small, but so beautiful when modified.

Don't get an A4. That was the car that made me swear off German cars.

Amazing car when it worked, but every other month it had some new problem that was overly expensive to repair. I did the labor myself and it was still insane.

Toyota parts are less expensive than VW parts.

Bro, just get a comfy shitbox and save that extra money for a used GS-F in like 2-3yrs after.

What model year A4 did you have? I test drove a '11 or '12 model year at a dealership and it seemed to drive well, but I wasn't sure about long term reliability and repair costs. Also, it was at a Lexus dealer and I was looking at the ES/IS as well and of course, he suggested going with a Lexus.

Go for the LS460. It is the comfiest thing on the planet. Very solid car all around.

This
I didn't care for my 2012 ISF much, but the 08-10s really suck

Why does that look like a Kia Optima?

Personally, I think it's ugly as sin. Then again, I've always been a function over form person.

2006 Audi A4 S-line 2.0T Quattro 6MT.

Fantastic car when it worked, expensive as hell when it didn't. It also increases it's frequency and cost of problems as time and mileage went up.

Comfort is a big part of it, I just don't want to get bored of it... then again, a supercharger or turbo will make any car a bit more lively. The 4500 pound curbweight weight is what really kills me. Never owned anything that heavy before.

How was the ride and power? Any major cost problems or was it pretty reliable? Would it be comfy enough to take it on a road trip? How is it on backroads? Does it have a good aftermarket? What did you not like about it?

do NOT get an ls460. my dad has that exact year and model and it's exactly what you said you didn't want- heavy with little performance.

ISF sounds cool

>not dailying a race prepped civic

The thing is, I want one extreme while atleast addressing the second. I either want a lot of comfort with a little speed, or a little comfort with a lot of speed.

>Also not a 17 year old who thinks removing 25lbs of weight by removing his rear seats and sound deadening will make any noticeable difference.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. What is your budget range?

$20-30k. Maybe a little higher depending on year, trim, mileage.

Either a...
2011+ Lexus ISF
2007+ Lexus LS460 Sport RWD
2013+ Lexus LS460 F Sport RWD
Or
Some sort of Infiniti G, M, or even Q series sedan.

Nothing below a 2010 ISF as they don't have the LSD

If this car wasn't butt ass ugly, itd be goat

Interesting... 415hp and 3,997lbs, magnetic suspension, brembo's, murica' V8 (just like Jesus intended), and even new it's just south of $50k...

It's very similar to the GS-F, but at half the price. An interesting candidate! Thank you!

What engine is that 6.2? Pushrod or OHC?

Audi ftw.

> upper middle class who think they're upper class drive modern lexus
> useless shitcunt lower class scum drive old lexus
> serial killers drive bmws
> mercedes are overpriced for what you get
> subarus faggot boxer engine get horrible wear on lower piston side. All second hand scoobys will be blowing smoke before the 150k mark

Well, I want to thank everyone for their input and offering me a lot of options. I've made my decision:
2007+ Lexus IS460 Sport... with Tom's accessories.

My reasoning is if I want something comfortable, I should go all in. The ISF sacrifices quite a bit of comfort for power. Also; I'd imagine that such a specialized car would require specialized parts and maintenance compared to the LS460 that has an engine and trans that's offered across multiple vehicles. The Chevy SS is disqualified for the same reason.

Also, a used LS460 can be had for around $20k vs the 2011+ ISF for $30k+ and SS for even higher.

The LS460 has the comfort I really want, with enough power for the time being. With the Tom's accessories (including the supercharger), I'll have the power I want, along with the subtly agressive look I like.

I was surprised that I made this decision, actually. I was leaning towards the ISF or SS the most until a buddy of mine showed me the TOM'S accessories. They look amazing:
youtu.be/Ee5tWOiqwMs

>Mercedes overpriced
Audi is the same fucking price bracket, and worse cars. I hate Mercedes with a passion but Audi isn't worthy of being called a luxury brand. It's more like the Acura of Germany. If there's anything that's overpriced, it's Audi.

>shit interior
>shit, bland exterior (they all look the exact same except the A7)
>boring to drive with numb steering
>front wheel drive or shitty AWD
>heavy as sin
>literally just Volkswagen but worse value

Old mercs are supposedly bulletproof and BMWs are fun to drive, but Audi has never had anything going for them if you think about it.

Is this some sort of satire against blue collar America?

>TOM's accessories

isn't that stuff obscenely expensive?

I'll never own another Audi, but even I know that the Audi Quattro system is amazing. My A4, which is considered the lowest form of Quattro, was an amazing handling car with sure-footedness in every driving conditions I introduced it to. I got away with high-speed turns that I thought should of sent me off the road, but surprisingly felt like I was on rails. Backroads, track days, and 3 full-on blizzards with only all-seasons made me praise the quattro system.

Theyou just don't offer what I want. Chevy, Cadillac, and Ford just don't have what I wanted. Although when the Taurus SHO was an honorable mention from my friends.

Considering I'm saving over $10k vs every other option, it won't be a dent in the wallet. Also, when it comes to the exhaust system, I'll probably go with a US sourced system. Probably the same with the wheels and suspension.

I just dug this up, apparently the supercharger when it was available costs $20k usd

clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-present/583280-supercharger-for-lexus-ls460.html

its a conventional 8spd auto but the lockup engages 100% at 2nd gear

No, I mean the whole Lexus and Applebee's thing. That reeks blue collar America so much it stings

I read the thread you posted and that was focused on he HKS system that includes sone very pricey carbon fiber engine dress up parts.

Even a home-brewed turbo kit would be cheaper than that, which I would honestly take over the HKS supercharger. Hopefully the TOM'S SC kit is cheaper.

Really? I mean, I'm an engineer and my wife is a dental hygienist, so we don't really fit the blue collar mold. Although I would love to own a few acres of land with an air-craft hanger style car garage (surprisingly great $/sq.ft. ratio).

And how dare you knock applebees for being anything but a gift from God! Half off apps and 2 for $20 meals?! It's the perfect date night! Throw in a movie and you're spending less than $50 for a nice night out!

You are some sort of dry humour whiz and I love it, don't change

love my old lexus