/sg/ Sleepers General

Let's talk sleepers.
Talk about factory sleepers.
Talk about building a sleeper.
Fantasize about sleeper builds.

Sleepers are high performance cars that look like unassuming everyday drivers.
youtube.com/watch?v=EUrfIW4zQmM

Examples of iconic sleepers of the 1990's:
1989-1999 Ford Taurus SHO
1991-1994 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 3.4
1997-2004 Buick Regal GS
1995-1999 Nissan Maxima

Other urls found in this thread:

wot-tech.com/88-93-2-8/3-1-grand-prix-/-lumina-/-cutlass-/-regal-performance-chip.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IfzghUDFqXw
youtube.com/watch?v=3D_2Z8W2rUk
youtube.com/watch?v=HHxW-NxkHRo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>AWD (Yes, Haldex, but under acceleration is 50/50 torque distribution. Look it up)
>270hp
>Amazing suspension (Double Wishbone front, Multilink Rear)
>Comfy as fuck
>Looks like a sportier Mazda 6
>Muh MZR 2.3L DI T with all forged internals and 14lbs of boost stock

The Mazdaspeed 6 is heavy, yes, but it throws around its weight quite capably. Compared to the MS3, it's comfier and won't break your back every time you hit a bump. It was a touring car produced for only two years.

Toyota Aristo.

Contains the 2JZGTE, 276 HP crank, I don't knof if the Gentlemen's agreement also applied to Aristos aswell, I know it did with the MK4 Supra.

Not a GM fan at all, but the Chevy SS is definitely a sleeper
Normies will just think its an impala, Having no clue about the LS engine it has

Fusion sport
>300+ hp
>AWD

The 1997-1999 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ. In 1997, it was available with either the 3100 V6 or the 3.4L DOHC V6 (though only 7 3.4L cars have been confirmed to have been built). In 1998, the 3.4L option was replaced by the 3.8L 3800 series 2 V6, and in 1999 the 3.8L became standard.
Should you get a 3.8L 98 or 99 model, you can top swap it to supercharge it easily. It's the same basic V6 as the Buick Regal in OP's video

could probably extend the maxima to 2003 before it got pig fat, also 3.5L altima up to 2006

agreed. Also the Infiniti I30 and I35

GTO refresh has insane build potential

V6 accord
V6 Camry
V6 rav4
Pontiac's with a variation of the letters G T P X R

I own a 96 5 speed.
Fastest $1200 ive ever sat in

Looks like a normal audi sedan, has a Lamborghini derived v10 with 435hp

The Godfather of all sleepers.

There's a wagon of these in my city. Took me a while to spot at first.

I know it's a meme, but fuck I want to know what's under that hood.

632 with the Smurf juice.

It must be a bomb load of squeeze because even if the chassis is prepped, that can't be a light truck.

you'd be surprised what happens to a car when you throw slicks on it

This thing. The first generation Skoda Superb. These have massive sleeper potential, and here's why:
It's a B5 VW Passat with its wheelbase stretched by about 10cm (~4"). The B5 VW Passat just so happens to be one of the few generations of Passat that's very closely related to its up-market cousin, the Audi A4. Where most Passats share a lot of characteristics with the Golf (transverse engine, Haldex AWD option, McPherson suspension) the B5 uses Audi's longitudinal engine layout, multilink front suspension, and proper full-time Torsen AWD. It also borrows its rear suspension (and front seat mounting points, for some bizarre reason) from the A6.
And so does the Skoda.

This means you can basically stuff the entire drivetrain from an S4 or RS4 (a twin turbo 2.7l V6 and a 6-speed manual transmission) into a fucking Skoda.
Or the A6/A8's 4.2l V8.
In a fucking Skoda.

I'm not surprised because I've been there. On the show, yes "on the show," the truck walks legitimately fast cars.

hello friends

2004 TL 6 speed: 5.5 to 60, 14.3 quarter mile
2010 TL SH-AWD 6 speed: 5.2 to 60, 13.5 quarter mile

All hails the cheap VQ V6 of choice.
Any plans to swap the VQ30 with a VQ35?

It's weight and long wheelbase helps it put the power down. Sort of why Tesla's are so quick, they got weight and traction.

Nice Hondas!

Its my winter beater so beyond simple handling mods/repairs i dont have any long term plans for it. If it treats we well this season ill keep it long term, but that depends on if i can nail down this mystery electrical problem.

Only mods done to it currently are a sick shift knawb and a straight pipe. New exedy clutch is going in come spring time.

There's a guy in my town with a boosted 90's Ford Ranger. Not sure if he did an engine swap or what, just saw him do a crazy burnout and could hear the turbo.
I've got a 260bhp miata, but it looks pretty rice so not that much of a sleeper.

>There's a guy in my town with a boosted 90's Ford Ranger. Not sure if he did an engine swap or what, just saw him do a crazy burnout and could hear the turbo.
the 2.3 and 2.5L 4 cylinder engines are in the same engine family as the 2.3L Turbos from the Ford Mustang SVO and the Ford Thunderbird Turbo. So it's entirely plausibly he just turbocharged the stock 4 cylinder in the Ranger.

bump for sleeper love

Hopefully when I swap a built 302 into my ferd out will be a mild sleeper. I'm going to try to get an exhaust shop to install electric exhaust cutouts.

What happens when you take a Buick Century wagon with rod knock...

...yank it

...and put this in in its place?

>3500
Nice. That SHOULD drop right into place. Now throw boost at it.

1st gem m45.

Most people have no clue what it is around my area, there are barely any on the road. It looks like a simple 4 door sedan (i like the look).

No one would suspect it's got 340hp and near equal torque with a 0-60 of around 5.7 sec.

It's pretty hilarious when you blow the doors off a racerboy in this thing.

Well, not much, really. But with this ONE WEIRD TRICK I knocked 3/4 of a second off my 1/4 mile ET.

01+ top swap?

It absolutely dropped back in. Stock mounts, stock transmission, '97 Monte Carlo PCM, minor wiring mods, and many other GM Legos later, it's a lot quicker than it was before.

Complete LX9 swap with an LG8 upper for fooling the smog testers.

Next step is to throw a torsen diff, 3.55 gears & a good exhaust into it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

That is cool. I wish I had a 3500 A-body shaggin' wagon

I could nerd you off this board explaining the whole thing, but the key aspect is this is a 1996. The things I did to make it work will probably only work in a '96. Less than 8000 Century wagons were made in '96.

That's not to say it can't be done in earlier cars. I just don't have any experience.

It could theoretically be done with 94-95 cars as well. 94-95 cars use OBD1.5 but OBD2 conversions, at least on the W-body scene, are pretty commonplace, so it's all laid out to convert those to OBD2.

I have a stupid question

would there be anyway to mess around with a 1993 lumina with the 3.1 engine? i kinda want to do a summer project this year.

my current idea is a 3.4 or 3.8 swap, but i'd like to hear some ideas.

> Now throw boost at it.
Later. Much later. HD transmission first. The 4T60E is the weakest link. I will probably end up doing an NA build though. Nothing mad, like 200 hp to the wheels.

Subaru legacy b-4 wagons. looks like a typical grocery getter that your outdoorsy neighbor might drive. But oh no, 280 hp twin sequential turbos along with awd. Oh boy. This one was only 5000$ canadian.

3400 swap is doable. It's even possible to run it on the stock computer, afaik. Great upgrade path.

3800 is possible as well, but is more involved. Depends on how comfortable you are with wiring.

>would there be anyway to mess around with a 1993 lumina with the 3.1 engine?
yes. You could gain a good amount of power swapping to 3400 heads and intake manifolds (use the 3400 headgaskets). Bolts right on and it should give you close to 200 HP... IF and only IF you have an ECU chip burnt for the changes.
These guys will do custom chips IIRC.
wot-tech.com/88-93-2-8/3-1-grand-prix-/-lumina-/-cutlass-/-regal-performance-chip.html

Why swap the engine when the 3.1 is a perfectly fine building block?

This
There are 5 Rangers here in my town with a 2.3L turbo swap

>high performance
>1989-1999 Ford Taurus SHO
>1991-1994 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 3.4
>1997-2004 Buick Regal GS
>1995-1999 Nissan Maxima

2011+ Chrysler 300C and SRT8

Both being rwd, 300C can be had with the 5.7 L V8 with 375 hp/395 lb-ft and 0-60 mph in 5.0 seconds while the SRT8 version came with the Apache 6.4 L V8 making 475 hp/470 lb-ft and 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds.

Only downside is they are automatic only and Chrysler discontinued the 300 SRT version for God knows why....yet they still sell it in the middle east.

i'm new to all of this desu, still trying to learn. i thought that Veeky Forums might be a good starting point to get some broader information. i'll have to look into it though, this stuff is really interesting

that's about what i figured. thanks for the info

oh look. someone who's never been taken by surprise by those things at the stop light grand prix.

60degreev6.com is pretty much the only site that focuses on modifying the 3.1 and 3.4 engines. If you're set on one of those, go there.

GM FWD V6 cars are almost all related (with the exception of the 3.8L 3800) so it can be a bit like playing with legos with the 2.8/3.1/3.4 DOHC/3100/3400/3500/3900

THIS. Those guys know what they're talking about. The site is exclusive to GM 60* V6 engines like yours.

>The site is exclusive to GM 60* V6 engines like yours.
Yeah, as long as it's a W- or N-body or a Fiero. They were absolutely no help during my Century swap. Something Awful was more helpful than those elitists.

His Lumina is a W-body, and your A-body is similar enough to a W-body.

>GM 60 degree V6 circlejerk out of fucking nowhere

>circlejerk

it's a discussion

The only assistance I got, and granted it helped secure my Monte Carlo PCM, was a wiring diagram of the Century and MC PCMs so I could have the MC PCM repinned for my stock harness. No other suggestions, tips, tricks, or cautionary tales were offered.

because no one else has experience with swapping an A-body.

I suppose you are correct...

holy shit someone admitting they're wrong on the internet

so question. instead of swapping to a 4T65eHD transmission, why not switch to a Getrag F23 5 speed manual from a 2000-2002 2200 J-body Sunfire/Cavalier? granted you would need custom transmission mounts, but the F23 has proven nearly bulletproof in both the J-body and Delta car communities. You have a 97 MC PCM so you can use HPTuners to eliminate all data pertaining to the automatic transmission.

Manual swapping an A-body takes a lot more work than, say, a Cavalier. Custom axles, custom mounts, modified pedal box from another car, modified shifter from another car, modified shifter cable from another car, trying to find a non-shifter A-body steering column... Much more effort than I'm willing to put in to make my overall driving experience worse. An automatic is much easier for city driving in Las Vegas.
(inb4 le epic auto vs manual meme)

fair enough. I never looked into the A-body, but I know that variant of the F23 bolts right up to the 60* V6's and is common for 3800 swaps into Fieros.

yeah, the transmission bolts on no problem. it's just everything else that gets in the way.

and for the record, I have Milzy Motorsports on the hook to rebuild my stock transmission into a 4T60E-HD. Not 65. Only mod is a passenger side axle (because of the different differential) and he will supply that. Should hold up to city driving, occasional drag racing, hauling eight people, towing another of my broke down hoopdies, etc., just fine.

5 series wagons are pretty decent stock.

Too bad the US only gets the 540 for the E39 and 535 for the E61.

The tuned Flex's are also pretty decent.

Boss took an '83 Buick Century sedan and swapped in a 3800 Series II and trans. That thing was a blast

bump

It's a slow board fucko

Considering pulling everything out of the $600 rustbucket and swapping into a ranger or Bronco II

Don't do a Bronco II, try and find a Ranger Splash

>average Australian car

>toyota aristo?
Are you fkn joking? Sleeper?
Maybe if you don't know anything about Jap cars.

Too bad the 1mz-fe is stronger, lighter and better.
Whoops

>Good Exhaust

Does mine count?
youtube.com/watch?v=IfzghUDFqXw

Not a big fan of step side trucks, I'd like to find an early 2nd gen extended cab for the swap

I think itd be great to tear shit up in an old ranger that sounds like a tractor
youtube.com/watch?v=3D_2Z8W2rUk

hey how's that MZ aftermarket support?
whoops.
You are now aware GM's 3100 has more aftermarket support than Toyota's MZ engine.

Sounds pretty good, what i'm more interested in is just how restrictive the original is compared to a decent true dual setup with only 2 high flow mufflers, compared to the original 3, a resonator and that goddamned closeoff valve.

And most people don't, they'll think it's some generic grocery getting landbarge GS300.

>smurf juice

>bomb load of squeeze

>"on the show"
>the truck walks legitimately fast cars

What the fuck am I reading?

I want to build a Volvo 780 sleeper
As far as stock sleepers go the early s80/60's with the t6 and manual are pretty good

>I want to build a Volvo 780 sleeper
enthrall us with what you would do to build such a car.

No

why not?

What is it about sleepers that draws you guys? For me it's the sheer hilarity of having near supercar-levels of power at the crank in a 20 year old shitbox - something normies will never understand.

The most powerful French saloon ever made

for me, I suppose it's sort of a great revenge when you manage to shut up the people who made fun of it.

Because it's exactly what everyone else already does to 240s and 740s

swap in an 5.3 LS V8?

It'll be fun to see how confused the guys around here with new Camaros and Mustangs look when they get walked by a rusted out 30 year old 4 cylinder thunderbird

kek

Lol yep, it would need a trans swap as well since 780s were auto only iirc

youtube.com/watch?v=HHxW-NxkHRo

the LS430 is deceptively quick for a full size car

I had no idea these were rwd, dam

i wouldn't really call the 300 SRT8 a sleeper, the appearance package is a dead giveaway, but the 300C can definitely surprise someone.

>tfw owner of a pretty clean 2003 Marauder

wanna post pics?