Do 05-present mustangs have tranny issues?

I've always liked this car and I'm needing a new car. I told my buddy I was thinking about getting a mustang and he strongly advised I stay far away from these because of tranny issues.

Is he right? This particular one has 90k miles with a 4.0L V6

the 4.0 is an old engine which isn't really all that great, the 3.7 is better, but I don't honestly think I've heard anything about the transmission.
get a manual?

Yeah this one I'm looking at is a standard.

What's the deal with that engine to say it's not great?

I'm no car guy. My buddy knows more than me about this stuff but he's no mechanic.

Could be that he just had a few friends that drove their mustangs like dragsters and that's why they had tranny issues.

I'm sure he was talking about transexuals since only faggots drive v6 Mustangs

Pretty sure the V6 used the T5 trans up until '09. Not a great trans but there's about a gazillion of them so if it blows up sourcing another should be cheap and easy. And to answer your question, yes. Every manual Mustang has been abused at some point.

The only trannies i know ride the bus

Don't get a fucking V6 mustang. You can tell yourself all you want that you don't need a V8, that it's to daily, etc, but you're going to regret it. You might as well just get a Civic.

I've driven v6 cars my whole life. Never drove a v8. I doubt I'd know what I'd be missing.

BUT.... Things I know. I don't like 4 cyl. I like 6 cyl, I'd probably LOVE an 8.

The 5R55 trans in those had problem with the steel servo shafts wearing out the aluminum case (gee, imagine that) which caused shifting problems. At the time the only repair was replacement of the case. Then Ford came out with a bushing kit which still required trans removal and teardown to perform. Now there are replacement servos with o-rings to correct the problem should it occur and that can be done with the trans in the car. Odds are good that by this time the trans has already had something done about this anyway.
>4.0 SOHC

It's a kludge of the OHV 4.0 and so has the timing chain for the Right Side head in the rear of the engine. Ford topped that off by using a timing chain tensioner shoe that was a total piece of shit and would break and allow the RS head to skip time. Caught early enough you could squeak a new shoe cartridge in but most often the engine had to be pulled instead.

Other than that, it's just a 200hp V6 with a power curve suitable for trucks so it doesn't have that zing people look for in sporty cars.

You would miss alot.
>friend owns 2002 v6 mustang manual
>thinks it's hot shit trin to hoon it around.
>I own 2004 mustang v8 manual
> let him ride in it and watch me drift and slide it
> he now screams he needs to get a v8 one

Most 4 cylinders are better than v6s

I've had to deal with timing chain tensioner issues. I'm assuming it's a pain in the ass repair like on my Nissan?

Those dumbasses made a plastic tensioner that was guaranteed to fail sometime after 100k miles.

take my comment with a grain of salt because I don't know much about mustangs but my good friend who loves Fords in general had an '05 GT and babied the fuck out of it.

He was the second owner as a matter of fact.

2 weeks before he was going to trade it in, he was driving it on the highway and he when he down shifted to fourth from fith the tranny exploded lol.

He got it fixed then immediately traded it in.

Yeah it's pretty much a pain even if caught early and it just gets worse the longer it's ignored. Again, by this time it may have already been done.

get a 2001-2003 GT, with 6k you can get a very nice one

yes trannies will charge you at intersections for some intersextion

We've had this thread a million fucking times, I'll give you the short version
05-10 V6: pigfat, slow pile of shit and "could've had a V8" will haunt you every time you drive it following the first week. Also V6 stigma
11+ V6: "could've had a V8" will haunt you every time you drive it following the first week. Also V6 stigma

Even the 4.6 from that generation isn't fast by any standards anymore, quick at best.

You guys have convinced me. I found an 05 GT for 8k. Has a few issues. Catalytic converter needs replacing and stereo needs reworking. He's replace a bunch of stock parts.

If I can talk him down to 7-7.5k it might be a good deal for me.

Hmmm maybe less. Bluebooks got that at 4.5k. Doubt he'd sell it for that though.

There's people asking more than 4.5 for early 2k GTs.

Might as well get the 97-04 gt 4.6 you can get it for the same price

Keep looking.

Veeate or nothing mate.

Why is it that everyone seems to be selling their mustang around 90,000 miles? Is that the point at which this vehicle goes to shit?

the average mustang is pretty ragged out at that point. Pretty much everything in the interior is making noises at this point

I think the boomers who bought this gen as weekend cars are afraid of the six-digit-odo value drop.

underrated post

I did it boys I found one for 7k I'm gonna pick up Monday if all checks out.

Gonna get me a 5 speed GT.

Bro nice! thats the car I have! If you have any questions about it ask, but honestly I love mine to death!