There are people browsing right now that don't know that turning your steering wheel when the car isn't moving is...

There are people browsing right now that don't know that turning your steering wheel when the car isn't moving is damaging to the wheels, tires, and steering column.

>mfw watching car review
>mfw the retard is parked with the car off and turns the wheel completely to the left and then to the right

Don't be one of those people.

Fuck it. It's 2016. So the power steering pump fails at 140k miles instead of 150k miles. Big deal.

I drove my power steering system dry for 6 months until the snow melted then fixed the leak. This is just another boomer meme.

There are people browsing right now that don't know that turning your engine on and driving is damaging to the engine, suspension, and brakes.

>mfw watching car review
>mfw the retard actually turns the engine on and goes for a drive, prematurely wearing his engine and pretty much everything else on the car

Don't be one of those people.

I understand your point but you are wrong. This isn't the same thing. Not turning your wheels when the car is motionless is just general knowledge preventative maintenance that anyone that isn't a complete retard would know. It's on par with driving with your e-brake engaged

horseshit this is a age old meme

It's not even close to the same.

yeah it's called static steering, newbies do it

But the tie rods.

If your tie rods are bothered by turning in place, you own some extremely delicate junk. Please scrap it before you kill others.

Mechanic here. It's not a boomer meme either. I'm a boomer and have been wrenching a very long time.

Never buy anything you can't beat the shit out of. Modern vehicles are expected to be flogged and suspension and steering are tested accordingly.

Find other things to worry about.

Lol, I did the same exact thing. It wasn't even snowy, i was just lazy. 8 months no fluid, when I put the new pipe in and topped it off it worked fine.

If you ever drive a pickup with manual steering you'll understand.
Not necessarily damaging to the car but your shoulders will hate you

ITT: We teach OP how the steering system in a car works.
> retard
Don't be one of those people that act like they know what they're talking about.

>damaging the steering column
Just how the fuck do you damage a steering column by using it?

I've never come across or heard of anyone ever breaking a fucking STEERING COLUMN because they turned the tires when the car was off.

You're also not going to damage the wheels or tires. Turning the tires on the pavement while not moving isn't going to make them wear out any faster unless your tires are made out of fucking sponges or some shit.

OP is a retard

I'll bet he's one of those people who thinks they'll wear out their parking brake lever by not pushing the release button in while they're engaging it so you can't hear the ratcheting mechanism.

I suppose parallel parking should be forbidden then, for the sake of your tires.
Using your car in the first place damages it. Using any bit of it damages it. It exists for the purpose of being damaged because through that damage it can take you places.

all confirmed for retards that wiggle the shifter in neutral

Do you also press the button when pulling up your handbreak so it doesn't wear and breaks after the millionth pull rather than the billionth?

Shit Americans say.

the button is for releasing the handbrake, it doesnt do anything when you pull the handbrake

This wrench doesn't work. It never did. It never will. Why do they put it in the stock toolbox?

Yes it does, it allows you to pull it up without putting any wear on the mecanism inside.
Pushing it when pulling up your handbreak does avoid this, but it is completely superfluous.
So is worrying about damaging your steering column by fucking steering.

>damaging to the wheels, tires

Your tires take more abuse during acceleration and braking then they do dry steering, Plus if your tires are so shit that you noticeably peel rubber off after going full lock to full lock, you really, really need to rethink your choice in Chinese tires.

lol rip ur tie rods

Trollolol

Here's some better bait you faggots.

>Retards who skip gears and wear out their synchros
You people disgust me.

>
>It's on par with driving with your e-brake engaged
Drift is life though

>this thread

n/o/cars

>retards who don't rip skidz to keep their tire surface from hardening

My car has electronic steering. The fuck you talking about?

>not maxing out first gear and then double clutching into 5th
Stay pleb

>There are people browsing right now that don't know that turning your steering wheel when the car isn't moving is damaging to the wheels, tires, and steering column.

When you gently brake or gently accelerate, the TONS of force exerted upon your suspension is far greater than you turning the steering wheel. So your fears are groundless. Otherwise, don't brake or accelerate because that puts huge forces on your suspension and tires.

>Get in my mates car for the first time
>He pulls out of a park
>Stops
>Turns the wheel full lock and continues
>Say he should avoid doing that
>Tells me to stop being a back seat driver

How do you avoidgoing over the top when giving people driving advise?

Dont give retarded advice

haha, that is the worst. fucking ignorant peasants man you can't let them drive your cars. they just don't get it

Those wrenches are best used by pressing with your foot, not pulling by hand. I carry a bobbed Crescent wrench in my toolkit of similar length. It's quite handy and will do axle nuts with no problem.

>tfw power steering fluid leaks slowly
>just top it off from time to time.

holy shit this board is full of idiots

I have a 68 Chevelle that I daily. It still has what I believe are original tie rods (or they're just really old). They're kinda sloppy but I have a newer steering box so overall the steering is pretty tight. Is not changing them a safety issue?

I was going to get new ones when I had the new steering box put in, but my mechanic took it to get aligned without asking me, so I'd rather not pay for two alignments at the same time.

Yes, I am an engineer, people don't understand just how much static torque is being applied to the suspension assembly. That kind of lateral or shear force with such high resistance can contort/bend anything down that power chain. Tie rods usually are the most affected.

>I'm a boomer and have been wrenching for a long time.
et tu, scotty?

It only really puts wear on the tires. Modern car safety standards, and tolerances rule out things like tie rods, and racks from wearing out under this strain.

What kind of ninny car do you drive where that's damaging?

Power steering pump on my trucks pushing 31 years and 375,000 miles of abuse.

How does it make you feel knowing it's never had a fluid change, and there's been rust in the pump and steering box for 15 years.

>theres no filter either

If my autism allows me that's off a ford. Possibly a Taurus or Crown Vic.

My dad always bitches about people who turn the steering wheel all the way until they forcefully hit full lock. Because of him I've always tried to be a little more gentle, but is there really anything harmful about it?

About hitting the lock? No. But turning the wheels (particularly through the full range of motion) when the car is stationary is well understood to stress the components involved in the chain of power. You can actually distort control arms/tie rods and even warp your rotors

Repeating it doesn't make it true, retard.

>I am an engineer
That explains why you don't know anything about how a car works

Ignore that retard. The lock is there to keep you from damaging the system. Yeah, if you forcibly slam the wheel into the lock you might mess it up. That being said, it will always prolong your car's life to be gentle on it.

OP, please fucking kys for starting yet another worthless thread to shit up a board that is already on its last leg content-wise.

>Warp rotors
Lol wat? Please explain to me how you would warp rotors by turning the wheel while stopped? The rotor is connected to the steering knuckle along with the caliber. There is no way to apply any torsional force to the rotor by turning the wheel since all the parts move together.

If you at least have your key in the on position, without the engine running, you will do no damage unless you're jerking it like the fucking Incredible Hulk. I do alignments all day with car off, key in on position, and you have to turn the wheel multiple times on the hunter machine. They wouldn't be having us do that if it damaged the car.....

How exactly do you know when you need new tie rods? It's normally just the ends, right?

Lift the front end and jiggle the wheel left and right. You will be able to feel some slack/free play in the wheel. Outer tie rod can be identified in worst case scenarios by the boot end. But you could also have an inner tie rod issue that will only present itself if you shake the wheels

Today I learned that there are actually retards that think using the steering wheel on your car damages it.

Try some Lucas PS stop leak

That shit works wonders.

It indeed does, and their transmission spooge is great for seals and O-rings. If you clutch packs aren't fried you can get a good bit more use out of an aging tranny (not your dad, his seals are shot from having too many rods thrown in him).