> Play Demo Day 11
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

> Next Demo Day 12
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Play Dinosaur Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-dinosaur-jam

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/i0W2tVRS (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/wUh6itNN (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker | Godot: godotengine.org
Haxe: haxeflixel.com | LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com | Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org | blender-models.com | mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse | incompetech.com/music | freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
thebookofshaders.com/
poal.me/694nau
fyndr.itch.io/terrier
youtube.com/watch?v=GZDl_R8Zp2E
youtube.com/watch?v=BzMCjFQIefg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It took me only about two hours to create this funky little Paddle War clone, totally in GML, without any outside tutorials except for the F1 help and one Stack Exchange question. Considering that I just started learning Game Maker the other day, I feel pretty good completing my first "game."

I gotta say, at least at the basic level I'm working at, Game Maker is an incredibly simple tool to use. There are so many built-in functions to handle images and object movement, and it's so much easier than the Java I learned and forgot in the one serious CS course I've taken in college so far.

I think I should do some tutorials and then start making my dream game - once I come up with an idea.

Reminder that the indepocalyspe does not exist, and there is no data otherwise

The cockpit hatch now opens and closes. Yay. Added a button for it too. Also since the hatch material is opaque, it does some electric shit or something (the tech babble will be added later) when it closes and makes fully it transparent.

It does exist, it's just another name for requiring a basic level of competency.

Fortunately Steam went in the opposite direction and now you can just make shit games to get in on Valve's trading card racket

Last time on agdg

Cant read the small ones

merry christmas
or happy xmas break i guess

The Lord has blessed me this day with a completed retopo. It cost me some sanity, took me 12 hours. It was too much for my skill level but I learned a lot about topology and could do it faster next time. I think most of the topo here is animation capable, but I wonder about the shoulder. the face topo is not remotely animation friendly but I do not plan to animate the face.for similar reasons I went with oven mitt hands. I may have bit off more than I can chew as is. Assuming I can get this guy textured and rigged I will use him as the protag in my game. ASSUMING

gg

welcome to the club of having ambition but will never finish anything.

Fixed.

Actually no. Last try then I kill myself.

This one is fine

>Well first guy hard talk next copy sale quit
kek

Google Drive folder update special Christmas edition, where nothing really Christmasy happens, other than me saying Merry Christmas at the end of the post.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE

- RPG UI examples
- Low poly examples
- More Tender Arms fan art
- Square dev's new character (Viking Girl) received the usual fan art what Square dev characters usually get
- Christmas greetings (the one in the post is from Theonian)
- New fan fic for Charlotte, Vampire girl and Bunny idol (also put the fan fics to their own folder, rather than separating them by games)
- Waifu breeder dev shared his sprites (106 to be precise), so I saved them for reasons
- The misc folder also got bigger like usual (please, if you aware of the author or the game where a given picture belongs to, let me know)
- Set up a change log file in the root directory, so you can follow the changes there if you happen to miss these posts (the name of the file will always contain the date of the latest update)

Merry Christmas!

>user gets steam add
HOLY SHIT

Can I have some insight about fragment shaders. Do's and donts? Any suggested reading?

good work don!

life and times of googum.txt

thebookofshaders.com/

>float smoother
Any good synonym? Something sexy if possible.

Should make one where they are shooting the tree then when it SHOULD explode it instead opens its hellmouth and starts lumbering towards them as they haul ass away.

How's does idle animation look?

>tfw all these gameplay ideas but no story ideas

very awkward, you probably want something that has a circular motion and doesn't just look like an obvious back-and-forth between keyframe A and keyframe B.

You're trying to make it too realistic. overdo it.

>Fixed collision detection up by optimizing as much as I could think of
>Hundreds of objects now don't crash the game to < 30fps
>Clusters of objects don't massively increase performance problems anymore
p-progress...!

+item
-+equipment item
--+headgear
--+body armor
--+leg armor
--+weapon
---+sword
---+axe

Does this make sense for an inheritance relationship? I also might have to make item inherit from ScriptableObject

Literal loot sponge. nice

Loot Pinata's gonna work this way:
>Most loot is going to be common items with simple classification (weapon, armor, potion, gem, etc)
>Loot has a small chance to upgrade in quality and value repeatedly to a maximum limit
>Upgraded loot won't fall into a classification bucket but be treated as unique

What's a good way to make upgraded loot drops look "juicy" when they drop? I want the player to feel like "OH SHIT I gotta go pick that up"

The good thing about code though is, that once you have prototyped a game, you can reuse this code again and again for other games, which saves a hell a lot of trouble.

With art you always have to almost start from scratch.

sparkles, guaranteed to be on top of other items, special tint vs. regular items of same type

Should be shiny in some way. Have the item look like that instead the character, and people will notice it.

What's the point of this
poal.me/694nau

I'm not clicking on a link when I have no clue what it is

>I have no clue what it is
your new is showing

Hey agdg does anyone remember this game? I made the demo a year or so back and completed development for the whole game a few months ago. I've got it on itch.io if anyone is interested:

fyndr.itch.io/terrier

try not to move all the limbs at once, also your pose is a little off balance

I'll keep that in mind

any suggestions for attacks or behavior?

other than looks, sounds are pretty powerful as evidenced by Diablo 3

Otherwise I would suggest a 'gleam' animation/effect

unholy festering fart rips a hole in the ozon layer, blasting the area with radiation. The smell has a chance of making characters nauseous being forced to skip a turn until they recover.

>post progress
>0 reply

>post advice
>1 meme reply

>ask question
>0 reply

I'm just waiting to get pissed enough so I can eventually leave this place.

I thought you wanted to stop enging

>getting pissed because of the internet
user...

maybe your game isnt interesting enough

Pic intended for

This looks cool user.

youtube.com/watch?v=GZDl_R8Zp2E

Thanks man!

I'm going to implement melee weapons today!

good luck user!
i'm gonna continue doing nothing today!

how do you guys handle scaling the screen in your games? so far ive handled it by drawing everything to a canvas/framebuffer and then scaling that buffer. this works well for pixel art and it means that i only have to worry about 1 resolution. but how do you do it when you want things to be higher res when they're scaled up? for example, a font, instead of being scaled up, you would just use the same font but with bigger size. is the only way to deal with this by doing math on everything and placing it manually on all resolutions you care about or is there a better way?

Yeah but... it's so fun....

Internal low resolution everything is rendered in. Everything.
Nearest neighbor scaled up with black bars as needed.

that doesnt work for anything that isnt pixel art

I plan the to spend the next year doing environment art and trying to make a horror game.

Was just wondering, do people buy horror games?

I could also just make a zelda clone.

Focus on UE4, Modo and Substance try to make a horror game.

Take art from wind waker, try to make a zelda clone, but with procedural generation or something.

I cannot decide which to do

---More progress--

Added spike traps.

Anyway, the game loop is very much like Dragons Crown. You got a couple of levels that you replay for loot and upgrades etc.

You got a spaceship, you jump into a black hole that takes you to medieval times.

I haven't actually done the loot part for weapons or whatever... just upgrade items (gems etc). Thinking of having some sort of RNG boost thing you can do before the levels to boost damage.

Is this for a platformer? I've to agree with the others, it looks a bit awkward. Is it based on something, like another game's idle animation?

With the upcoming zelda game on the switch, a game like that is probably popular right now.
I don't really know about spooky games, it's a niche.

You mean like normalized coordinates where instead of using 0 to 1080p as coordinates you use 0.0 to 1.0 where 1 is full right then you multiply the coordinates by the resolution to get the coordinates at that resolution

I'm working on an open-world Roguelike in GMS. I'm using DS grids for the map and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to save map pieces in a text file and import them into the game, basically the way that Cataclysm DDA does it.

I can write them out piece by piece in the DS grid, but I'd rather save them in a visual format and convert them in game.

>meme reply is source reek guy

please respond

looks fun but i don't have windows and it crashed when i tried to run it in wine

Nice user puttin in that work

>tfw about to buckle down and make a few hundred sprites

Drawing clothes is fun!

youtube.com/watch?v=BzMCjFQIefg

>Christmas family dinner
>whole family finds out I've been trying to dev
>"Oh shit you're gonna be a millionaire!"
y-yeah, h-hah
dev was a mistake

>look herd leader i posted it again!

excitement i guess, but i wouldn't know cus i'm too much of a pussy to play horror games.
The only reason i WOULD actually play a horror game is when the story is really good.

lmao all my family is web developers and knows theres no money in computers

lol'd

looking good user!
i watched 4 episode of fullmetal alchemist and played some overwatch.

How can I import this spacedock obj model?
I read you just have to drag a material on it, but it doesn't work.

I tried doing subpixel fonts in a few mockups but eventually ended up deciding that it looked bad
Here was the technical outline for what I was going to do though
Instead of rendering to the canvas, when I want to add ui fonts, I just push everything to a love2d text object (you could simulate the same thing with just a ringbuffer and message/position/width pairs)
then, for rendering:

if subpixel then
> scale(2x)
> draw(canvas)
> draw(text)
else
>canvas:render( text )
> scale(2x)
>draw(canvas)
end

At least it's not source.jpg

when is winteru jam?

>find thread of anubis devs game on another forum

welp, I guess hes about to make it

>furry artist with an existing following and a knack for designing appealing characters makes it
wow consider me surprised

>just got an IBM Model M keyboard

I... I can finally make game now...

link

I fucked up!

why encourage mixels and shit
just make a low res font

made me kek

Bokube-level animations

is this game about propeller dicks?

swordcopter propulsion

add it as a feature /right now/

I just zoom the camera in, user.

Shakedown mode

How much would it cost to pay someone in the Far East to create a set of pixel art sprites?

For argument's sake, a 2D kicking boxing game.

Do you think I could make a walking simulator in the style of FF12 or Vagrant Story? I'm good at simple low poly stuff.

I have also had a problem.

>procedural generation
>zelda clone
No one plays Zelda for the core gameplay

wait... zelda has a story?

It has level design and puzzles

oh
so no story

Anyone know what the best function to use in GML for code that alters the view once the player's mouse hits/nears the edge of the game window (in window mode or full screen)? Would window_get_mouse_x() work for both?