Is the Citroen SM a GT car?

What defines a GT car? A friend of mine says that the Citroen SM isn't a GT car because it's front wheel drive.

He says, and I quote, "Grand Tourers are not touring cars or luxury cars. The FIA defined grand tourers as production models that were suitable for long distance driving but also capable race cars.

So they got powerful engines and rear wheel drive (because front wheel drive sucks in every single motor sport category other than rally) like a normal sports car would but the engine is in the front, so the car could have a large boot and rear seats, making it practical for everyday use or road trips. That's what's been racing on the first GT classes in sports car races and that's what all the ultimate GTs, from the Ferrari 250 to the Lamborghini 350GT, were modeled like. Long story short, everything that is not an FR 2+2 is not a GT."

On the other hand, I think the SM is a fine GT car. It is fast, handles adequately for its time, looks good, was expensive and capable of travelling at high speeds over long distances in comfort. I believe that if a FWD car is able to fulfil these requirements, it is a GT car. It doesn't need to handle the best, it just has to handle well. I will agree that there are not many FWD GT cars, though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9D9YgMD85OM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When I think of a grand tourer usually I think of a car that can handle and perform well and is designed for comfort on long distance drives

The SM handled and performed pretty well for its time, and it's super comfy because hydropneumatic suspension. I'd say it fits the bill.

Its pure sex

Hnnngggg!!!

No, its a sedan.

The SM is a GT car, no matter what some faggot thinks.

I just came like 8 fucking times

what happened to citroen?

how can you go from these amazing things to what they are doing now?

That's pretty neat.

This is a SFW board, shitlord.

Didn't they kinda go broke a couple of times?

Yeah, and got bought up by Peugeot.

...you raise a valid point

Their newest stuff is actually OK

Went broke a few times.
Ended up bought by their old rival Peugeot.
Now plays it pretty safe (like everybody else because it's harder to get return on investment when investment of less than a few hundred millions is insignificant)
Citroën and Peugeot still come up with some mad concept cars, still have some good rally cars but their production vehicles are road appliances.
>inb4 C6
A BMW that tries to be comfortable instead of being fast. Which is commendable.

C6 isn't being made anymore, is it?

No they only have that blob called the C5 which doesn't even come with hydropneumatics as standard any more.

Only a weird second gen version for the chinese market.
they have yet to announce a replacement for it

Modern GT cars wished they sounded as good (except for the jaguars)

youtube.com/watch?v=9D9YgMD85OM

Got Maserati engine so¿? Nope ?