/classic car general/ - /ccg/

/classic car general/ - /ccg/

Boat anchor that doubles as a transmission Edition.

>Post your classic cars and trucks
>Blog about electrical gremlins
>Pray to the carb gods
>Argue about Mopar vs ferd vs chebby

Other urls found in this thread:

topclassiccarsforsale.com/ford/190395-1971-ranchero-squire-429-j-code-cobra-jet.html
worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5912295048.html
newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5897755190.html
nh.craigslist.org/cto/5892747000.html
denver.craigslist.org/pts/5876404717.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well hello there

To answer the question about the Imperial without the title; In Georgia, a title is not required on any car that is 25 or older; it only needs a bill of sale. As a result, the car is worth roughly $2,000.

How is a Ranchero for a first personal car? I currently drive an 03 crv but want something fun to work on and fun to drive and the roadkill episodes made me fall in love with them. What am I getting myself into if I buy one?

What year? Give me details as to what you do and what year you want and I'll tell you.

(The only thing I really can't answer about classic cars is whether or not I should buy one of the many Lincoln Mark Vs that I run across because I have a seriously unhealthy love for that car.)

You'll be getting into old cars, which will break, but be relatively simple to fix.

Generally.

I actually have no idea about the year I'd buy or anything. Are there major differences between generations? What's the best generation? I'd like one that can handle the togue as I live in an area with a ton of those kinds of roads.

There are huge differences between generations. The First Gen is a Full-Size car, Second is a compact and the Third and up is a mid-size. Personally im particular to the fifth generation

do it. lots of parts available and you'll probably have a blast both driving and fixing it. expect things like fuel or water pumps to go out sometimes. be extremely careful if it has rust, especially check the frame rails and control arms. if anything has holes in it, i certainly wouldn't buy it. check all the brake lines if you can, the seals, hoses, etc. if you get a pre-70s one, use lead substitute in the gas and put in zinc additives when you change the oil for longevity. but aside from those basic things, it should just be fun.

It takes some serious work to make a car like that good at going through twisty mountain roads.

That being said, there's nothing more fun that bringing a car on a road and driving way faster than it was meant too

It all depends on what condition it's in.
I'd stick to the smaller ones then. The 61-63 and the 64-65. They share a lot of parts with mustangs too, so those bolt on handeling kits will most likely fit.

>pic is mine

Considering they're just a falcon, which the mustang is based on, you can pretty much throw whatever modifications you want at it.

70 ranchero is the best looking

Thanks for the pointless (You)

Have another (You)

Fagguette

Thanks for the help guys. If a ton of the ones around me have been beanered out as lowriders how fucked am I?

For that, the best indicator is the wheels. Some beaners ARE car guys. If the vehicle has stock wheels, then they haven't butchered the car.

To be fair most of those mods can be reversed, unless they start doing hydraulics and welding on cup mounts to the axle, then other fucked.

Why is it so hard to find used performance intakes?

Rancherino best Ranchero.

needs more fake wood

is 70 a good year for a ranchero? pic related

Debate me dweeb

or one of the later ones? dunno m8

Yes

cool your tits, i was asking what year

dunno but i don't like the falcon ones

That one's based off the Torino. Falcon can be best for performance though

They can but it can be an unnecessary pain in the ass. And people think doing shitty mods raises the value. Also you may have to return a system back to stock that it's hard to find parts for. A Ranchero shouldn't be hard to return to stock though.

no the falcon ones are ugly
and i hate the interior of them

Adding lightness and adding power is better than just adding power.

While true, sometimes you have to work with what you have

no its a ranchero not a race car.
it will never be worth it.
you are dealing with a very very front heavy car with leaf springs that will just hop like a rabbit.
have you ever driven one? you cant get any traction down. burnouts to the end of time bro
topclassiccarsforsale.com/ford/190395-1971-ranchero-squire-429-j-code-cobra-jet.html

also why is this add only 1000?

You can make anything a race car, and while it has leaf springs you can set up a 3 link or 4 link for not to much. It's a mustang chassis after all

Also that's some boomer logic. He missed a zero or is asking a lot more for that

torino is not a mustang chassis. not even close.
i would pay 5000 for that car.

>also why is this add only 1000?
To get you to call him where he'll tell you it's actually $45,000 but Rancheros aren't worth that kind of money in perfect condition.

I meant the falcon based one ya dingus.

And that car is worth more than 5000. The engine alone is like 4k

a stock 429 is 4k? maybe in crate form

It's an auction. That's just a starting price to grab attention

A 429 cobra jet motor is.

this
>Good luck bidding.

Not totally fucked. I would rather fix up a somewhat maintained beaner car than something that has been rusting in a field for 15 years like mine was.

I've driven one. With good tires and clamped rear springs it takes off nicely.

This is what, 30-50 horsepower right guys?

What?

It was a joke. I'm taking down the welds in my new exhaust

Looks like I'll be buying the Mark V. I should be getting it after New Years.

>porting maymays

yall dont port heads?

Im looking at buying one of these and turning it into a vintage rally car/DD

which one should I get?

>1986 Audi 4000cs Quattro
>a bit rusty
>$750

worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5912295048.html

>1967 Saab 96
>some rust
>$1200

newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5897755190.html

>1974 Volvo 142
>runs and drives
>missing title
>$2250

nh.craigslist.org/cto/5892747000.html

Volvo if you can somehow legally own it. Otherwise look for an old Datsun. I want a 510 something fierce

How much did you get it for?

$2,000.00.

Where does Some Dude live?

wouldn't you like to know?

Rekt

Thought I saw your shitbarge on the road the other day

The white Lincoln? Cause it's the only one on the road right now

Yeah although the likely hood of it being you is probably pretty slim

I'm on Vancouver Island

Yeah it wasn't you. I live basically the opposite side of NA from you

Yeah that's a little far away

>Toronado
AROUSED
R
O
U
S
E
D

bump

2:25

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I MISSED IT

Do most of you guys write out a plan of action when working on your cars or do you just wing it?

multi angle 4 stage valve grind ?

This is v1

Is there a reason you're going with a carb and not a self contained EFI like the holley sniper?

Because a 1405 carb cost me $100 and a self contained self learning EFI would cost me $1400

This is what I do for every car I own:

Dat handwriting tho.

How much do you think I could sell a Ford H.o. upper intake for with throttle body?

Hello /CCG/
I got this 1982 chevy. It's got a 350 with a 4 speed. Second day I had it for 2 days and I had 3 people stop and ask about it. Motor isn't running right but I got a spare if it goes to shit.

What in the hell is going on with that rear suspension

Previous owner used it to haul concrete
Forgot to mention in my first post that I'm the guy with the 1977 ford

Damn i need to step up

Hey that looks familiar. I've got about 14 leafs on each side of mine.

The ride in the back is stiff as shit.

Nice though

Yeah, its funny. This one can take a lot of weight while a 1992 Chevy I have can't even haul my car trailer without the driveshaft rubbing on the floor when I go over a bump.

Also, new carb for Ford!

That big block is muh dick.

Git gud boi

I love it. I traded a 1998 Dodge for that carb and 5 33 in tires on rims that will fit my Ford. Truck had no motor in it. Carb is 500 cfm and about 8 months old.

>500 cfm
>460
That doesn't sound right.

Probably $150.00

Think I should just list it on Craigslist?

C-can I join?

Yes

If you want to get the most out of it, try eBay.

Will do. Hopefully, when I pull the 5.0 out of an explorer I can recoup most of that money on eBay by selling that gt40 intake

Yeah, I've restored this thing on a tight budget, so I had to work with what I could get. Later if I get into some money I'll probably get something different for it.

I feel it mayne

There how I'm going the build for my ferd. I'm killing it on the Craigslist game

I know that all too well; I may have some high- dollar cars, BUT the only way I can afford them is to fix them myself. My Lincoln will get a shoestring budget, I'm sewing the upholstery for the DeLorean myself, and my Imperial will not be getting a new carb until the old one needs a rebuild; intake to come AFTER the interior is replaced and the body painted. (The roof is brush-on Rustoleum.)

it looks like it's presenting itself for that rusty dumptruck beside it.

kinky.

Should I trust a cherry picker and/or engine stand from horror freight?

Also, any of you gents have experience in using R12 recovery machines?

No and No

Engine stand could be fine

No!

Not unless you're supporting a V6, or aluminum V8. I had one for my 440 build, and it was bending to a scary degree. I had to support it with jack stands. Would not recommend.

Jesus.

I'm going to be buying one soon, I'll probably just get a used one on Craigslist. This looks good, but overkill

denver.craigslist.org/pts/5876404717.html

I'm going to be building a 350 SBC soon, too heavy for those cheap stands?

Craigslist nyukka

This:
Buy used tools whenever you can; many are better than what you buy now and the only downside is a few chips in the paint.

One of the only parts I splurge on are new carbs. I want to, eventually, outfit all of my cars (except the DeLorean and Fiero) with Edelbrock 1411 carburetors.

Can you buy me a new carb for the Lincoln while you're at it

Is electric choke worth it? I have a manual choke on the ferd and I kind of like having that control, but who's to say I'm the matter if what air fuel ratio the engine needs?

Progress.