QTDDTOT / SQT

Happy Holidays Edition

Previous Thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

aerocivic.com/
ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-STAINLESS-STEEL-HOSE-BRAKE-LINE-85-89-TOYOTA-MR2-MR-2-AW11-W10-BLUE-/201086144517?hash=item2ed1ab1005:g:MuwAAOSw37tWDKi5&vxp=mtr
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is a partial kammback worth mouning to a car for increased topspeed and fuel economy?

I need to take the cylinder head off of my 25yo shit box, but i'm afraid of snapping the exhaust manifolds bolts. What are the chances of me fucking everything up?

That depends mostly on the amount of rust on these bolts.

What effects the sound of an engine? I've seen 2 different i4 engines, similar displacement and borexstroke numbers but one sounds like a 4banger and the other a truck. What could be doing this?

It's not anything like the exhaust as it follows the entire line, not just some vapefag putting on a 4" fartcannon. CA18 vs SR20 if anyone cares

Maybe the induction noise gets out of one wthout a induction muffler.

Good point. I'll have to look more into he specifics of each with regards to shit like that. Didn't consider the intakes as much

going to a pick the part place today to look for a grille, its a bring your own tool place. a screw driver is really all I should need right? it should just be clips and maybe retaining screws, the car didnt come with a grille so im not sure

Pretty much, maybe some long pockets as well to sneak that stuff out.

I'd recommend cargo shorts/pants, they look bad but you'd be surprised how many injectors you can smuggle out free to sell off

Anything that starts looking like a wing will improve economy.
aerocivic.com/

But is it worth building one?

Take a ratchet, 8mm and 10mm socket as well as the screwdriver

thanks anons

are coolants flushes necessary if things are running correctly as far as you can tell?

Opinions on old rx7? Keep the 12a or swap to 13b?

My goal is na power, I was thinking I could buy a 13b, street port, turbo, and set up my rx7 to take it, keep the 12a and look for another shell, so that way I can get my turbo and na fix.

But for the short term, 12a or 13b?

I have a half bridgeported 13B in my FB. It's way too much for the street. Probably about 200whp, NA. Peak power was raised to about 9000rpm and there's nothing down low. Like an 80s turbo car but more severe. Loud as hell too. Definitely do a less aggressive port or else you'll be waking up the whole county with braps.

Yes because of the sediment you can't see in the engine

coolant flush for

>doing something in cooling system (replacing water pump, hoses, rad, etc)
>coolant looks like fucking shit (brown - rusty)

How does a Saab 93 1.9 150cv bear daily use
unreliable, consume ?
anyone has experiences with Saab?

Why does my 91 ranger idle so terribly? Once I get up to around 40mph it's nearly silent compared to this. Notice it sounds like it was about to stall out half way through video or something. I've read about the IAC which I will check soon if it needs cleaned, the check engine light has been for the awhile but I was told that was because the temp guages are mostly dead which I am replacing in the video, engine light still on so have a scanner coming thursday.

sendvidcom/smq8zrte

>temp gauages

I meant almost every gauge is non-working. I have an entire cluster replacement but I can't get any slack on the speedometer cable to pull it out to unplug and put in the new one so I'm testing if I can just swap out the individual modules as some people have suggested as a resolution for no slack behind cluster.

Bought a new car.

Stereo makes a weird whining noise when it is on. I feel as if it shines higher as my RPMs increase.

Cables leading to amplifier all over the place in the rear. Driver speaker doesn't work.

Is this some interference thing from wires running parallel? How to fix?

where to get high quality beaded seat cover?

my walmart one is starting to fall apart finally.

kill engine via key
engine is gasoline
continues to sputter and try to run after it's been shut off

what do?

The hood latch of my shitbox is half broken, instead of welding is it okay just to install hood pins? i think they have it at autozone, pic related

Your ignition system seems to interfere with you audio system, put a capaciator between the positive and negative power cable of you audio.

Are you arab

I want to get some cheapo braided brake lines for my aw11 since the brakes are a little lacking and I really don't trust the 30 year old ones. Are braided lines a complete meme? I'm looking for something cheap like this, since I don't want to dump too much money into the thing to begin with.
ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-STAINLESS-STEEL-HOSE-BRAKE-LINE-85-89-TOYOTA-MR2-MR-2-AW11-W10-BLUE-/201086144517?hash=item2ed1ab1005:g:MuwAAOSw37tWDKi5&vxp=mtr

what vehicle? for how long? What type of fuel are you using?

>reducing resale for the same or more cost to fix it right
get one from a junkyard

>are braided brakes a meme?
they expand less but usually the cost isn't worth it
>also anecdotal evidence that braided lines fail sooner than crappy rubber lines that expand

Carburetted or EFI?

Hood pins work fine, but they won't keep your bonnet as firmly as the traditional latch.
The bonnet will probably vibrate like crazy unless you install them so they pull quite hard on it, which will bend the metal pretty noticeably over time

Will a 275/35-20 tire fit on a 20x8.5 wheel without too much issue? Specifically, I'm looking at getting Mickey Thompson Street Comps on staggered AMR wheels. 305/35-20 on 20x10's in the rear and 275/35-20 on 20x8.5 in the front. The smallest wheel width recommended for the 275/35-20 is 9", so if it won't work I'd have to drop to a 255/35-20 which will be a bit narrow.

I got a used 2015 Toyota Corolla and the manual says its recommended to use Toyota brand motor oil should I buy that or it's just snek oil and it's ok for me to use any other brand?

What would be a good beginners car to buy cheep in America for someone who doesn't know how to work on cars but really wants to? Preferably muscle or Tuner

>NOT wanting to wake the whole country up with braps
Why even own a rotary?

Got an old car from the 80's (87 iirc), and the service manual mentions that asbestos gaskets might have been used in the car. Am I just being a pussy, or is there a chance that there is asbestos gaskets, and where would they most likley be used?

Any 90's Honda Civic or prelude and if you want to be a special snowflake any 90's Toyota Corolla. For muscle any 90's Ford Mustang

How much should this cost to fix? At a shop and DIY

I need to top up some gear oil (some dropped out while rebuilding the CV axle) and the transmission calls for API GL-4, which I can't find locally and I can't wait to order. My understanding is that GL-5 is not compatible with GL-4 because it will react with the brass in the synchros.

Can I used GL-3 in a pinch? I understand the service life will be reduced, but otherwise will it be fine?

2005 Volvo S40 6 speed by the way, if it matters...

Don't know much about cars, I need a car that'll take me from point A to point B reliably. I found a 2007 Ford Taurus with only 80k miles on it for under $5000, which is my limit. Looks good, drives good, but I've heard Tauruses can have transmission issues. Any advice? And recommendations for something else if you think the Taurus is a bad idea.

How hard is it to pull tires off wheels? My car has steelies and I want something that looks better but the tires are brand new.

/k/ here, I need your help Veeky Forums

Got my first car, a beater 1998 Pontiac Grand Am, and it drove pretty well for about a month but yesterday it just gave out on me.

It won't start, it won't even turn over, I got a buddy to help my try and jump it but all it did was make a click sound when I tried to turn it on.

The dash lights turn on and headlights turned on at full power when hooked up but are dim when I turn the key once and they all shut off when I try to turn it over.

I think it may be my battery and my starter but my buddy keeps telling me its the alternator, I'm tight on money and was hoping to fix it myself.

Please help guys

>why can't cars be simple like my guns

The AX4 is known for having a weak parking pawl.
It's fine if you don't park on seriously steep hills. If you do, then you just have to set the parking brake.
The Taurus is a good appliance car. You're not going to win any races in one (Except maybe against a moped lel) but it's plenty roomy and comfy.

Bring it to a shop they need to be balanced as well. It's not impossible to do tires yourself but you need some know how and some specific tools to do it, and you can't do a dynamic balance at home once you're done

Get a new battery, chances are the one in it is fairly old. They normally have a date tag on the top which shows when it was installed, if it's more than a few years old, it'd be a good bet to replace it.

Next step, go to the hardware store and buy a $20 digital multimeter if you don't have one. Start car with the new battery, assuming the new battery works. Hook up your new multimeter to the battery and see what voltage it's putting out. It should be somewhere above 13 volts when the car is running.

If the voltage is low with the car running, chances are the alternator is bad. Google how to replace it.

Alternatively, you could google how to replace the alternator and just pull it off and bring it to advance auto or some other place that will test it for free. You can also bring them your battery and they'll charge it for free last I knew.

Also, when jump starting a car, have the running vehicle rev the engine a bit, like to 1500-2000 RPM or so, to make sure the alternator will put out enough volts/amps to charge the dead battery, and let it do that for 3-5 minutes. Some cars are smart enough to limit amperage output of the alternator at idle to keep the engine from stalling out, so just letting it idle may not do the trick.

Look in the manual, it will also say you need to buy oils of a certain specification that looks like API SN or ACEA C3

Oils are defined by two sequences, one is viscosity (like 5W30) and the other is the quality standard (like the two I just mentioned)
Viscosity alone says nothing about the quality of the oil, you can have both garbage oils and amazing oils with the same viscosity.
What defines the quality is the API/ACEA spec (first is American, the other is European).

Your engine has been designed with one oil or a small group of oils in mind, when you go shopping for oil, you need to look at the API/ACEA spec and then choose which viscosity suits you best based on ambient temperature.

So, if your manual says you need an ACEA A3/B3 or higher, for example, you can buy the cheapest oil you can find with that spec and be sure that your engine will survive it.

Unless you have different needs (like racing or towing a lot) you can just look at the recommended spec and be done with it.

Your manual says to buy Toyota oil because of commercial deals with oil suppliers, but nothing bad will happen to your engine if you buy different oils as long as you stay with the recommended spec.

Thanks dude, I'll try this out

Have a smug Marine

Battery needs to be replaced and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the alternator checked, but it not turning over is in no way a sign of a bad alternator.

Battery not getting charged is.

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo 3.4 that is overheating sporadically. Long story short I have replaced the water pump, thermostat, and radiator cap. It seems that the coolant will all flow into the overflow tank and not returning to the radiator.

Any ideas? I am totally at a loss here. I can give more details if needed

I am sexually attracted to sharp edges and pop up headlights.

>It seems that the coolant will all flow into the overflow tank and not returning to the radiator.
If that were true, you would spill coolant everywhere as the tank can't contain all the coolant inside the radiator, it's just meant to hold the coolant that naturally expands when heating. There's gallons of coolant all around the engine, it can't all be contained in that tank.

Anyway, if you still think that's the problem, then you have a problem in the hose going out of the radiator (usually placed down low), try to remove it and see if there,s something clogging it.

I don't think you will find anything, it could be something as simple as bubbles of air that haven't been properly bled when you worked on the system or a bad temp sensor

Ok thanks dude

i have a 67 impala and the speedo lens is quite hazy, minor scratchy and i couldnt really find any remanufactured one. is there a way to polish it up again?

HELP! Any anons know the reason why my car sounds like whales having sex Everytime I move an inch of the steering wheel whether it be right or left? It sounds super annoying and nasty when driving and even worse trying to park the damn barge while my sidebitches are with. Me

Sounds like your power steering is fucked.

If you have electric power steering, pull the fuse, if it is hydraulic, remove the belt.

Torch the bolts screaming hot. Let them cool. Expansion and contraction helps. If they still snap, weld a nut to the remains of the bolt. If you don't have a welder or a torch, figure something out.

a buddy o mine tried to start a junker 70 duster not too long ago (on a weak/dead battery), got a single crank then it died - I looked underneath the body and transmission fluid was on the ground. my friend would like to build the car up, but he thinks it puking tranny fluid is a sign of something much more sinister going on. can anyone comment?

I'm looking to get my first bike (pic related) as something cheap that i can take out in the woods with my truck. How do you get the title in your name if it isn't going to be insured or registered to me? Can you just walk into the dmv and have them put the title in your name without all of that? I live in florida so I know the dmv isn't that strict here but I just have no experience with such a situation

What does this even say? I don't speak Spanish but I can already tell this is poorly scribed

Have a car, doesn't run, don't have time to fix it, 1400obo.

Wtf could be possibly wrong with such a cool car to make it 1400

>RX-8

I refer you to memes. Apex seals, blown doritos, etc etc.

Just put some power steering fluid into it you mongol

Is it actually puking tranny fluid? You could probably replace the transmission for a few hundred bucks

im swapping up a 2jz to my datsun whats the eaisest way to get the throttle hooked up? should i just get a mk4 supra pedal or try to nig rig the datsun pedal?? the datsun pedal has no cable its all solid and the 2jz has a cable

Is Armorall actually junk? I've been using it on my dash and other trim for years and it's been fine.
Would it be too late to switch to Meguiar's?

I've seen so much conflicting info about it.

my dad's been using it on his dash since '02 and its cracked as fuck now, i dont use any on my dash in my truck and it still looks like new

Is it too late to switch over to something else though or is the damage done? Everything looks great but I've heard if you stop then it will go bad.

High heat spots probably, just don't breathe the dust if you're cleaning a gasket surfac with a wire wheel or something. You'll be fine otherwisr

no clue but my best guess is to just take a wet wipe or a soft moist towel to the places you've had it and wipe it off.

bumping for twin turbo gods to indulge me in information

a little double grease bumb

But I've been applying it fairly regularly for over a year to most of the vinyl in the car. Wouldn't wiping it off or changing to something like Meguiars shock it and make it dry out? I read something about how you have to keep applying or it will dry out and become brittle.

like i said idk alot about it since i dont use it im just saying what sounds logical to me

third bumber

But what if it's still full?? Then what do I do? What's the first thing I should check or see

>such a cool car
Okay lil guy

Cars are not simple, but neither are your guns. My first gun was a baretta 92f, and when I first took it apart, it took me quite a while to get it back together, with the diagram right there. Now I can strip it and put it back together in a minute and a half, blind. The secret? Practice. I learned what I know about cars the same way, with time. Have hope my friend. With the infinite information on the Internet at your disposal, you can do anything, you just have to believe, and do it. Your car is a machine just like your gun, a series of moving parts that interact in logical ways to produce a desired effect. You have Veeky Forums, Google, your friends, and the guy at the local auto parts store who drives a camero, all ready to help you. Your immediate problem has been addressed well by others, but let this be the catalyst for a new journey into new skills. Have a great day

Try cheap toothpaste on a cotton rag or something, it's a minor abrasive and functions as a polishing compound, I've used it on turn signal lenses

No you can't. It's too different, gl4 is made for hypoid gear sets

On many the transmission issue is really a torque converter. Roughly same labor rate, cheaper part

Can I hire a mechanic to come look at a used car with me and give it a relatively thorough inspection at the lot?

The dealer is one of the biggest assholes I've ever met and if I didn't think he managed to grab a gem of a car then I would tell him to fuck off but I don't want to miss out on a potential steal. I'm not mechanically-inclines enough to do anything except give it a cursory inspection on items I know to look at just from a novice perspective.

What car? You can definitely take it to a mechanic if the dealer lets you. I don't know about having one come over there, it'd depend on the mechanic

I want to get a couple of strut bars (the ones that go under the car) but don't know how hard it'd be to install them. Do they just bolt right on?

I'd switch to the Supra pedal. Less likely to have issues

It's a Hawkeye WRX that is one-owner and accident free that was adult-owned and not hooned around in by a high school faggot

The dealer is so big of a fucker that he's "not in the business of giving test drives unless he has money in hand". I have met him twice and he is your typical 60+ year old asshole used car dealer who hates dealing with anyone. I assume he realizes he has a decent car and doesn't need to take liberties to even fake being pleasant to his customers

Strut tower bars on top in the engine bay are easy, the ones you install in the trunk sometimes are, the ones that install on the bottom can be difficult depending on how the suspension geometry is

A mechanic alone can't do much if the car is sitting in a lot.
Of course he can take a look under the bonnet and search for something obviously wrong, but there are a lot of things to look for and you need to at least put the car on jacks.
I doubt your dealer will let you raise the car right there on his lot.

Try to insist in a test drive, show him you have the money but don't give it to him of course.
Once you have the car, bring it to a mechanic for inspection.

I am afraid you are going to waste money if you hire a mechanic to come with you.

You are just better off taking lots of pictures of the car (engine, wheels, interior and whatever you can see under the car) and post them here or show them to a mechanic

How do I replace this coolant temperature sensor?

My deep sockets don't fit over the plastic connector. There's no space to fit a wrench.

Are there sockets where the hex part goes much deeper?

why do boomers get so butthurt about cars?

>Are there sockets where the hex part goes much deeper?
Yes. Buy some Harbor Freight deep impact sockets. They're actually good quality and don't have that step in there.

A wrench

>There's no space to fit a wrench.

Don't have Harbour Freight here in Canuckistan.

I'm pretty pissed because I just got a new socket set and then I find this...

Well fuck.

Maybe try looking around on Ebay? I know there's sellers on there that will sell single sockets.

I'm going to check if a buddy has one later today. If not, I'll check some stores near here.

I'm going down to the US for a bit this week, so I can pick them up then.

1990 Camry
Taillights keep turning off, i go and move around the wires and the lights go on and off strong and weak. was one break light then all tail lights and i moved it again and they all worked. What needs to be replaced?