Amount of oil right?

how do you know how much oil to fill ? when filling so that you don't overfill?

measure it out then fill then check?

use the dipstick

Are you really telling me you had to post a thread about it to get an answer instead of just googling or it better yet looking up the oil capacity for your fucking car

I've youtube and looki it up already. Are you meant to measure it out in a mearsuring jar before pouring in?

No

Say your car requires 5qts of oil, you buy a gallon and one quart and pour it in.

how long can a bottle of engine oil sit before using it? mine is over a year soon

Three weeks, best pour that out so no one accidentally uses it

There's usually lube apps/websites for whatever brand of oil you prefer that list the specified oil type and capacity for your particular car.

Also, don't forget to change your oil filter, then run the engine and THEN check the oil level after letting it sit for a few minutes. This will ensure you have the correct reading.

t. a mechanic

I'm of the two week variety...I also taste test before I pour....

>not cold pressing your own oil using local stray cats

Fuck man, two weeks?? This newer stuff is good for at least three, especially if it's synthetic

Look up my book, fill within 90% of that and then fill & use the dipstick gradually to get it 100% correct

choice post

do you need to run it then check dipstick?

Not really, just wait a little bit before checking again to make sure its all run down into the "reservoir" or whatever its called in english

You will however need to run it after filling the 90-ish% so that the new filter gets filled with oil & removes some of what would otherwise be in the reservoir.

do you fill the oil filter with oil too ?

if you can, and it's good to if you have a turbo but it's not necessary and sometimes is impossible
>pic related

>reservoir
The word you're after is 'sump'.

if you start the car and this happens add more oil

Quoting >You will however need to run it after filling the 90-ish% so that the new filter gets filled with oil & removes some of what would otherwise be in the reservoir.

Fill partway. Check on dipstick. Fill partway. Check on dipstick.

Personally, I filled it up most of the way, looked at the remainder, and figured 'fuck it it'll burn/leak over time anyway, won't it?' and filled up the rest of the bottle.
How I'm about 1/2 pint over and have been for months because I forgot I wasn't driving an oil-leaking oil-burning rustheap.

>do you fill the oil filter with oil too ?
Smear the seal with fresh oil.