So, why are these cars considered slow?

so, why are these cars considered slow?
i had a chance to drive it on a track today and after getting a hang of it you can drive it quite fast, all you have to do is to retain momentum in the corners and you can pull of some nice times

could it be that people who say they are slow don't know how to drive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=abv6YwTVdM4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because if you went to that track in literally anything else you would have been faster.

because it's only 400lbs lighter than a 4 door civic and makes 3-19hp less depending on what engine the civic has.

Except an 86

what track

Because most people will never be on a track

Yes basically. Most drivers need huge hp to mask how much they suck.

Once again, Miata faggots are blown the fuck out! BRZ for the win! Miata is an epic failure for the lose!

here's your problem Veeky Forums, you compare cars too much instead judging it on it's own merit
it's quite fast, corners amazingly, and it's very easy to get hang of it, after 3 laps i got pretty damn good time never driving a miata before
doesn't matter if some cars are faster than it

here

Benchracing pretty much.

Typically, the word "slow" refers to something that's slower than most others. When benchracers use it, however, it refers to something that is slower than a select group of fast things.

Slugs are slow, compared to most animals; for this reason, most people would consider them to be slow animals. Dogs are slow compared to cheetahs, but most people would not consider them to be slow since dogs are faster than most other animals.

The benchracer would call the dog slow, even if they can't outrun the dog,

excellent comparativom my man
especially since miatas look like a little pupies

They're really neat little go karts. Nothing else out there that small, light, cheap and we'll supported. You could probably build one from scratch out of aftermarket parts if you were so inclined.

I get so fucking mad every time my phone turns well into we'll.

>so, why are these cars considered slow
Because of people who don't even drive fast cars on Veeky Forums who don't understand that 148lb-ft of torque in a 2300lb car with tight gearing and small tires does actually make for a fast car.

It's only a 20% slower 0-60 than the FD and 911 turbo were in 1992. Those cars were fast as fuck at the time. The only cars faster back then were true supercars like the Ferrari F40.

99% of people on Veeky Forums are complete retard benchracers who can't even benchrace decently and don't consider things like gearing and powerband. They only factor in peak horsepower to weight.

It is mainly like that due to benchracers like Who just compare random stats.
If you just ask about hp/top speed and stuff a miata can´t compete, if you ask about track performance or touge driving, it will outperform other cars.

>GT86 has more power

Daily reminder power alone doesn´t matter, power weight ratio matters.

>It is mainly like that due to benchracers like

That image isn't even real.
It's some made up bullshit by some nobody reviewer which is why it's not cited or anything.
But retards on Veeky Forums still post it and believe it.

Benchracing is bullshit anyway, I just used that retard as a example for retarded benchracing.

all this time and the BTFO toyobaru faggot is STILL posting this fake image! LMAO!

Benchracing isn't bullshit, though, if you actually account for the many variables and go by objective facts instead of bullshit made up by some nobody that's also missing a ton of variables.

If you would have every variable availeble it would make sense, but the most important ones are missing most of the time.

Unfortunately too many people have varying definitions of "fast" and slow". If they don't understand power to weight ratio then they think hp=speed.

I like to use the scenario of putting a 300hp 350z and a 300hp mini van on the track and see who wins.

>the bench racers will think it'll be a tie.

most benchracers here are slightly more advanced than that but the result is they think power to weight ratio is the only thing that determines speed

and more importantly, they think speed is the only thing that matters

Speed on the street and speed on the track are very different things. Try passing a typical 300hp SUV on the highway in a Miata. That is a much more common scenario for 95% of people than "retaining momentum" on a track.

because most of the time you're driving on public roads and it feels bad when the v6 mini van next to you driven by an aggressive soccer mom pulls away quicker than you and cuts you off

>v6 mini van
Wich soccer mom drives 120 mph+ with a minivan?

You drive 120mph on public roads? License and registration, please....

>tfw that is totaly legal where I live
Honestly, that is the only freedom left here in germanistan.

Fair enough. Don't deny that they can still pass you at will though. Street driving is all about low RPM grunt, which the miata lacks.

it's not slow

turbo miata will run circles around anyone

they are also geared really short so are hella peppy and even 1.6 NAs will be doing 60mph at the end of second gear

i am convinced the people that say this shit have never even been in a miata before

>all about low rpm grunt
It isn´t, it is just power/weight ratio and traction.
Just drop a gear or two and the soccer mom doesn´t have a chance.

t. 1.0l NA driver

Obvious fake is obvious. You guys all should have bought a MR2 anyways.

The ND is a good car and the NA fanbase is an epitome of fagginess and dickriding
Just my 2 cents

What you where feeling is exactly what makes the miata so appealing, you where having fun and felt fast going on a (comparatively) slow speed.
I find the miata a great car and fun to drive in if you dont plan on racing it seriously (which 99% of people dont) .

Its a given fact that small differences in laptimes should mean nothing to the average consumer considering we are nowhere skilled as professional drivers and were unlikely to take our cars to the track but in ny opinion he difference in performance compared to say a mustang is observable on the consumer level, but hey thats just my opinion and i still think its a great car

>Street driving is all about low RPM grunt

Your opinions suck and you're dumb.

the miata is the most raced car in the US isn't it? It even has its own series...

>memeR2
Not everyone is a special snowflake like you.

miata is the slowest fast car. Its fun but the one I owned was clearly lacking in comparison to my dad's golf r.

>It's only 20% slower than a 20 year old car
whew.

I looked it up doesn't seem too slow
youtube.com/watch?v=abv6YwTVdM4

Why drive a miata when you can have a roadster with 6 cylinders and real power?

Because you don't know fast. Miata is quick, but it hasn't improved over its 20+ year lifespan. That is why it is hated. They even killed the mazdaspeed.

Idk still seems pretty fast for over 40mpg. I didn't know the MX-5 was hated and never improved in 20 years. Seems legit?

That's a chill ass video.

But yeah, no, it's not slow. 0-60 in under 6 seconds simply isn't slow.
But it's not really fast either, no.

>but it hasn't improved over its 20+ year lifespan
holy shit you're actually fucking retarded
The new ND is faster than the turbo Mazdaspeed was.

This new one is so much better engineered and designed than any of the previous ones. Have you looked at its drivetrain? Have you looked at its suspension? Have you looked at its undercarriage?
There's more engineering put into the seats of the ND than the entirety of the NA.
It's better engineered and built than 99% of the supercars and shit. It just happens to not have carbon fiber and it has a torquey 2.0l NA engine that's somewhat geared toward fuel economy, and is only $25k

The car doesn't even get 40mpg highway unless you are talking about british "gallons." The car is the same thing it was in the early 90s, a tiny small, slow roadster. Every other car has gotten faster with time, the miata stays slow for no reason other than fuck you customers. It's the same shit with the toyubaru. No reason to be slow.

it IS a 20 year old car.

>Every other car has gotten faster with time,
How did they do it workout? Training? I bet it was bodybuilding

the point was mazda is slow by choice, just like toyubaru. my 10 year old bmw has a more advanced engine, chassis, undercarriage, etc.
/thread
the miata is the car that has never grown up. its still the 1990s car just gussied up.
more effecient engines, larger engines, and FI?

oh wait, you got skyactiv ;)

>implying you have or can afford a Z4

"Why do this when you can do this" only means something if you can ACTUALLY "do this"

The 1990 Miata had a 8.9s 0-60. The 2016 has a 5.9s 0-60. That's a big difference.

Z4s are even more of girl cars and hairdresser cars than the Miata is, too. Rofl.

>small differences in laptimes should mean nothing to the average consumer considering we are nowhere skilled as professional drivers and were unlikely to take our cars to the track
ONCE MORE FOR THE FAGGOTS IN THE BACK

M Roadster bud. Enjoy being in a slow car while my 10 year old car beats your new car in every possible metric.

6 sec 0-60 was impressive in the '90s

>the point was mazda is slow by choice, just like toyubaru
But it's not really "slow". It's faster than so many cars around the majority of tracks and a sub 6 second 0-60 isn't slow.
They could have made the only engine option the 1.5l.

It's not very fast, no. It's not a Cayman or whatever. But it's hard to fault them for not putting a 300+ horsepower turbo 2.5l in it when they basically expect you to stop being a benchracing faggot and work a wrench yourself.

I don't drive an MX-5, dude.
I can just really appreciate the engineering and design that's gone into it. The nerd in me loves all the little details, how close it is to being the perfect car for what it is even though a moderately fast roadster isn't for me.
I drive an FD.

>6 sec 0-60 was impressive in the '90s

thats just swell. do you honestly think anyone in a miata is trying to impress anyone?

Defend Mazda for putting out the same slow bullshit every year. Step up to a BMW or Boxster S when you want the finer touches and speed bud.
Besides homosexuals? No. Point is the car has not grown and matured. There is no reason mazda doesn't make a 250hp miata. Even the fiata is a flop.

Gimme a 250hp RF and I'll DD that bitch til death.

>Point is the car has not grown and matured

by the standards of some literally who on the internet

>Step up to a BMW or Boxster S when you want the finer touches and speed bud.
I step up my skills and make my cars fast on my own terms. Nothing feels better than that, certainly not waving check books around dealerships.

>by the standards of someone with enough money to buy better
Mazda sucks. It's probably the worst marque to sackride. At least the NA fags own a classic. ND is nothing more than an interesting DD.
>t. young poorfag
and that is exactly who the miata and 250cc ninjas are made for, people like you. enjoy.

it's too flexy for 250hp

This is where you're getting even more retarded. The MX-5 has improved more than any other car has over 20 years.

Every other car has gotten softer, heavier, and become more of an appliance.

>id literally rather throw money at a dealer then actually build something

LMFAO get the fuck off Veeky Forums

Exactly like I said, but the fucktard doesn't get it.
>it's hard to fault them for not putting a 300+ horsepower turbo 2.5l in it when they basically expect you to stop being a benchracing faggot and work a wrench (you)rself.

Veeky Forums is just going to shit, isn't it?
I used to come here 10 years ago and there were so many people about tuning, and tuning cars. It was about the cars potential, what it's like to work on, what you can get out of it.
Now it's almost nothing but benchracing faggots who are afraid to get grease on their hands.

>built not bought
enjoy being a poorfag. i can buy a decent car and build it to my liking. enjoy your honda mentality, i'm out.

ps: you can't make gold out of shit

Watch me drop a V8 in it and we'll see who's laughing, bet you couldnt find your way around a fucking valve cover gasket

>It was about the cars potential
are we still talking about miatas lmao
>changing the engine
thanks for proving the car is shit.

engine =/= car

you still cant fucking wrench

xdd look how kewl i am I have no skills or knowledge all I can do is throw money around haha poors

I bet I have more money laying around than you do, yet it's not turned me into a complete faggot like you. Hell, I fuck boys, and yet you're still the bigger faggot.

>The MX-5 has improved more than any other car has over 20 years.
Mustang

aww now we're arguing chassis. enjoy your floppy miata
nigga i have more money than you've ever seen and have built more cars over my 15 years of driving and riding bikes than you can fathom. Enjoy the car payments on your ND lol. no reason to build shit when you can build a better car. thank me for paying your social security taxes bud while you piss your mcjob earnings away on a DD.

Arent those full of only miatas tho?
I would think you could put a similarly priced car in the race and it would be unfair , but hey thats only to my knowledge

>Enjoy the car payments on your ND lol. no reason to build shit when you can build a better car. thank me for paying your social security taxes bud while you piss your mcjob earnings away on a DD.
Suuuuuuuure you have

of course, that is why they are spec class races. if they were open classes the miata would be btfo by a family sedan with 50 more hp. but that isn't the point of class racing. its about times, not the cars. something miatafags try to extrapolate to the real world.
aww strike a chord poorfag? its okay, as long as you are under 25 i'll forgive you. if not, kys.

MX-5 is cheaper, you can pickup a club well under 30k

>only 400lbs lighter

I'm not going to call the Miata a fast car if you run it against something with an actual performance engine, but fuck me if 400lbs doesn't make a world of difference in real performance numbers.

Stripping 100lbs out of a car that you wanted to put on a track would be considered a good effort, so four times that amount makes a huge difference.

Going from 4000 to 3600lb isn't a huge deal. 10%.

Going from 2750 to 2350 is fucking massive holy shit.

It's a much bigger difference than going from 200 to 240hp makes or whatever. You get better response, better breaking, more efficiency, you feel the car better, just my fucking god why does this even need to be explained to someone on Veeky Forums?

>try passing

i pass 300hp suvs in my 90whp civic every day i go to work

you're assuming people somehow pin the throttle everywhere they go hitting v-max going to the supermarket

kek, BRZ fags just came around after Miata has been at it for 25 years without fail

We must drive on different roads.