Do Americans like utes?

Do Americans like utes?

How would they be recieved if they were brought over there?

Would the country cowboy people shun or accept them?

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/06/car-loans-now-top-1-trillion-delinquency-rates-rise/89911210/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

we had the subaru baja last
it was a flop
that kind of shit makes car makers timid about selling them.

baby steps op

I think they went extinct partially due to how our fuel economy requirement system classifies them. Still mad at their death, fortunately G-body El Caminos are still fairly cheap.

The American countryside is much better suited to a truck than a ute, as more suspension travel and tow capacity is needed. Really, what is the purpose of a ute other than to carry around car parts or landscaping gear?

Will never sell in Amerikek because shitty examples didn't sell well.

ex - Subaru Baja Blast

Nope, we would want small trucks back first.

You like that baby?

Seppos can't handle power in a ute, cunts will be spinning into mexicans like theres no tomorrowl

Yeah look it's not really about that. Don't get me wrong, tonnes of cunts use them as work utes, but for most lads on the road (myself included) it's just good to have the tray for random shit. And a lot of people never use the tray really. It's iconic and everyone has a car in this country so you are way less likely to need five seats.

We used to have Cowboy Cadillacs.

The last time they were made was the 1980s.

>being unaware of the muscletruck scene

I live near the beach and one of my cousin's has a fixed up El Camino and it's nice to lay a blanket on it and just chill there cause it's not as cramped as an SUV or as raised as a truck (and despite my skin color I don't like lowered trucks), it's a happy medium for me in just that one situation.

The point of a ute is that it can haul shit around for work but you can still drive it to the shops without suffering.

So it's what you cunts call a truck but with more car-like characteristics, i.e. lower payload but much better handling and power. Plus it's size is more handy around town

Ford Ranchero
Chevy El Camino
Subaru Brat
VW Caddy
Dodge Rampage
Mini pickups in general

All dead.

Aware but its not comparable. I mean, you guys can handle drag cars but you can't drive a mustang from a carshow.

we dont get wagons either.
fuck crossovers

Seriously?
That's fuckin' weird man.

Fuck I wish the US had choices in performance wagons that aren't marked up to shit

enjoy your german car if you want a wagon

>BRUH NICE EL CAMEEENO YO LEMME PUT DAT ON MY INSTA

yeah they are cool but normy comments would make me want to shoot myself

americans want ground clearance to feel safe

this. i would buy the shit out of something like this that had more moderate styling.

ElCamino's and Eldorado's were pretty popular, you still see some every now and then.

I doubt they'd sell. The thought of driving one in winter would scare most people away. Most seem to have solid tonneau cover lid which would make hauling toys a pain in the ass.

"country" people wouldn't buy one. They can't tow, the got no ground clearance and they won't get you off your acreage in 2 feet of snow.

They are pitiful compared to a full-sized truck. They exist for styling and suck slightly less than a two door sedan for hauling.

BTW there is a reason you don't see many unibody trucklike vehicles. Loads bend them in the middle. A ladder frame with separate bed and cab flexes under load.

Utes are dadmobiles for people who want to cosplay a real truck.

I want one so badly you don't even know.
A converted car turned into a LHD, road-legal HSV GTS is around $70k.
Just fucking kill me.

>wagon
the wrx is clearly a hatchback though.

Not enough for car companies. They tried several times, albeit typically not with muscle. Ranchero, El Camino both sucked because car chassis with wimpy sedan motors and tiny bed. Not much use as a pick up, not as nice as a car.
Then we had things like the Brat, but Subaru has never really been a trend setter here, though they've had some success with their rally car style trend. Chevrolet put some muscle into it, but made it ugly as sin "retro" with their SSR.
There's always been a niche market, cult-like following for the Ranchero and El Camino, though.

The American government killed them.

>have to adhere to the same safety standards and emissions standards as cars
>meanwhile trucks are cheaper to sell and more capable because muh body on frame barge that has fuck-all for fuel economy

americans have their small dick complex thing going on, so anything smaller than a dually is no-go

>suck slightly less than a two door sedan for hauling
they are 100 better for hauling... and lets not forget the massive amount of practicality
we have plenty of 4wd trucks in australia, and people who opt for ues are realistic about their needs. and full sizes such as f-series and silverados etc are accessible enough.. but only people who buy full sizes are faggots hauling around a 40ft horse trailer or heavy machinery owner-operators

The Baja needed a slightly longer bed so you could put things like bikes in it with the gate up and a shorter cab with half doors so it wouldn't be 35 feet long. An STI trim Baja would also have been seriously cash.

>utes
>practical

How the fuck is a 20 foot long 2 door poser truck/car abomination practical? A truck might be massive but at least it's useful... A ute is the worst of all the worlds.

Sorry normal people have trailers and toys and shit here.

All my toys fit in the back of my ute. Not everyone takes a gigantic trailer to go camping and when they do it's often a land cruiser ute pulling it.

We don't need gigantic f-trucks here. As much as I'd love to own one they're just not practical for day to day activities.

The coolest utes are American. Strayan ones look kinda half-assed.

as a tradesman it offers more practicality than i ever need
low roof height so easy as fuck to throw my ladders on/off the racks, decent tray length so i can get all my materials in there ezpz... throw rubbish in no cares..
i mean its pretty obvious youre some suburbuan hoa cuck mallcrawler faggot who doesnt understand what work vehicles are actually used for on a day to day basis
but keep living in your imaginary dreamworld where utes/trucks only exist to tow a 10,000kg trailer twice a year for your family 'retreat'

Explains Australian "muscle" and utes in general

by the way, you want to call something poser

lets not call the person who NEEDS a 40ft trailer to go camping a poser...
and lets call the person who only needs a ute with a 6gt tray to carry two motorcycles a few boxes of beer and a couple swags a poser instead..

fucking americans

with a 6ft tray*

dont yanks have full sized pickups? Makes the aussie utes kinda obsolete.

FYI yanks we never use them as utes 99% of them never get near their max load capacity or even tow anything they are a meme to make bogans look cool

Come next year we wont be making them anymore
They look fine, your taste is shit if you think a 600hp ute is 'half assesed'

>fucking americans
that guy's a cunt, but so are you, m8

work trucks here are typically larger because we have work wagons and work vans that are more popular for keeping stuff out of the elements

if everyone lived on the coast or in the desert, it might be different

No. Country folk often need to tow and haul heavy shit, so they need real trucks. They also often need to drive offroad, sometimes while also hauling heavy shit. That usually means 4 wheel drive and ground clearance is needed. Utes dont fit the bill.

City faggots buy trucks cause they like the image or it makes em feel more manly or some bullshit. Most of the time they dont need a truck, but they dont know shit and that aint the point anyways. They want a truck and utes aint trucks, so they wouldnt buy em.

I'd say if the big horsepower style utes like in your pic were sold here, a small number of people would go absolutely nuts over em. Probably some muscle truck and muscle car guys and some other car guys who just want hp and rwd. But, unfortunately, that means not much money for the manufacturers.

But the thing is, modern American trucks tend to drive like cars for the most part anyway, as the American public demanded this. And trucks often have huge engines with the choice of gas or diesel as well, so there isn't really a difference in power.

I don't know if you've been to the US and driven a new truck... but they're a fucking lot quicker than you would think they are.

The size thing isn't really an issue here to be honest. Last time I was in Australia, it was pretty obvious that a lot of the cities there aren't quite as planned as cities in the US are. Sydney has a lot of twisty and narrow roads with lots of lanes packed into roads originally only designed for one lane. Residential streets nearer to the city pretty much only have space for parked cars on the side of the road, and one car to move through the middle. Brisbane and Adelaide are similar. Cities in the US are more like a grid, very wide and open roads in comparison, parking spaces are a lot larger as well. I can see why having a truck in an Australian city would be an issue though.

im sure a 2wd hilux does better offroad than fullsize yanktanks

>americvcks
>ute
lmao
all niggers
Only big SUVs and pickup trucks with lift kits are allowed. Few crossovers too.

Too bad.
Also, station wagons are dying too. As a mirror to the global market, the rest of the world ain't gettin' shit too.
Thanks again, America.

Yeah nah, don't get me wrong, our city planning is fucked.

Sure an american truck drives like a car, but it's way too high off the ground and almost unnecessary for most of the cunts who own them. Utes are great because theyre easy to chuck a set in, drift, and you feel planted to the ground. I fucking hate being next to women in big fuck-off cars who clearly don't have much spacial awareness, yet still decide to be a metre off the ground.

You notice most american 4wd demos they do of new cars or that jeepfest or whatever are all doing real basic, boring shit?

I dunno, but I swear those 4wd shows they have on the daytime on sundays show off way rougher shit.

The only decent wagons we get anymore are euros like the Volvo's and BMWs

Stock for stock, I wouldnt be surprised. The hilux is definitely geared more towards offroad. But I wasnt talking about going 4 wheeling on the trails on the weekends. I meant real world use, hauling firewood, dragging machinery around, farm work, etc. Sometimes a hilux just wouldnt be enough truck.

My idea of a ute was more along the lines of what OP posted though, holdens and falcons and shit. Didnt realize you called mid size trucks utes too. Pardon my ignorance for that I guess. A lot of us would like to see the smaller trucks make more of a comeback here though.

My dad, who was around when utes were a thing in the US, said the main reason people got utes was because there was no weight in the back end and you could be a smoke machine down the whole block.

For actual truck things that didn't require a large truck, we had small trucks like the Ford Ranger, Chevrolet S-10, and Dodge Dakota, which were all usable trucks that weren't as offensively large as trucks are nowadays.

I own a BFII xr6t and it easily fits all my toys in the back and can tow whatever
Like other anons have said, although a full sized truck would be nice they aren't practical at all for day to day shit in Australia

I think theyre great but i would rather just have a truck

Tires are 80% of the vehicle in any situation

They were going to bring the holden utes over here with a pontiac badge. Didn't happen and pontiac is kill.

The ass backwards fuel and safety standards favor fuck huge tanks too, which is why small trucks are dead. The new ranger and colorado are as big as 90s 1 tons were.

pic related

What do Americans even do with pickup trucks like this?

Why do they pretend that they need them?

>need
back to your hugbox country leftie

Status symbol and comfort barge.

Also having a single versatile vehicle isn't a bad thing necessarily, but the aforementioned points have made pickups way bigger than necessary.

>towing things you can't even imagine in size and weight
>carrying four-five fully grown men to a worksite with tools in the back
>RAM...COMMERCIAL

We tow our toys around with it... Good luck pulling this much freedom over a mountain pass with a 2.8l hilux.

Because they're fun. No need necessary.

How many licenses would a eurocuck cuck if a eurocuck could tow this?

Along with the problems regarding fuel economy regulations, it's really not in the interest of the carmakers to offer utes or even small trucks here. Selling full-sized trucks to Americans is incredibly lucrative for the big 3 and Toyota, and smaller alternatives would cut into those sales.

Honestly it's surprising that the Colorado and the new Ranger even came/will come to market, but then they're nearly as large (and expensive) as their full-sized siblings anyway.

Another issue is that mainstream Americans, for whatever reason, tend to be really skittish about two-door and especially two-seater cars, even though most of us drive alone most of the time. Unfortunately four-door utes are hideous- see Subaru Baja.

Oh, and there's the general modern preference for a higher seating position (for which many people will make excuses to justify a fullsize pickup).

Rather than Australian-style car-based utes, it looks like we'll be seeing "crossover pickups" in the American market soon. If those start to sell, maybe we'll start seeing more variety in pickup vehicles.

>cross-over pickups
Exactly. The Honda Ridgeline is 100x better than any Ute. Ausfag Utes only exist because of their bizarre taxation system + cultural heritage. There is a reason no one else on earth buys them.

Not saying I don't like them but no one in the USA is going to buy a two seater car with a truck bed that can't tow shit.

They also live in a flat barren wasteland with no snow and nowhere to go. They don't have to deal with snow and muddy logging trails that go up to a trailhead like we do.

The Ridgeline isn't better than a ute
A tray back one tonner falcon kicks the shit out of the Ridgeline in every aspect of practicality

Can Americans please stop talking about things they Are clueless on
We have full size American trucks in australia, 4wd hilux Rangers tritons land cruisers etc, and 2wd falcons commodore and hilux etc
You only have full size American trucks
Everything you say is conjecture
Stop posting

>4wd hilux
>full size

That thing is smaller than our Tacoma's here.

Also what do you mean our taxation system? Tax has nothing to do with it
Utes are popular in australia because they do everything perfectly with no hassle what 99% of full sized trucks are used for. We aren't delusional about our requirements... we don't have small penis we need to compensate for
We don't want to be four feet off the road in a heavy pos ready to flip over
We want performance, comfort AND practicality that's why we buy utes

I didn't say hulix was a full size. Learn to read stupid American

>We have full size American trucks in australia
If you're willing to pay $130,000 for importation and RHD conversion, yes.
>4wd hilux
Not quite the same level of power or towing ability as something like an F250.
>Rangers tritons
These are primarily designed for the third world, mainly south-east Asia and the middle east and then kitted out with higher end options. As such, they're not quite on the same level as a vehicle that's actually designed for a first world country. They're cheap, disposable utes predominately for tradies to write off on tax as a business expense, use for work for 5 years, and then move on to a new one. Interiors are rubbish and they ride like crap.
>land cruisers etc
Arguably one of the few decently capable vehicles sold in Australia, the 70 series being a great farm workhorse that'll go forever, and the 200 series being the local mall crawler with fantastic off road capability. They have a price tag to match, as well.

>what is 10% GST
sigh.

I love them. It kills me that we don't get them here. I guess and El Camino will have to do.

Would country folk like them? Does that need to be asked? It's a muscle car and a pickup.

>Utes are popular in australia because they do everything perfectly with no hassle what 99% of full sized trucks are used for.
and because you failing domestic automotive companies produce them. enjoy globalization and GM and Ford's cock.

I've seen brand 2500hds going for less at dealerships than an optioned out Land cruiser

Again.. Australians are realistic abut their requirements and there's a reason full sizes aren't popular
In the 70s and 80s f100s were sold domestically already rhd and everything... they were far from popular even though the price was reasonable
Americans here say all the time they only reason full sizes are as popular as they are is because of the consumer mindset of the average American, it's always better to buy bigger even if it's more expensive and you don't need it, just bevause

>need
Your utes may as well be stanced pick up trucks fag. Enjoy your nanny state.

Enjoy your 28 second quarter miles trucks then
I'll enjoy doing fully sick skidZ with my tools in the back on way home from work bruhz

rip folden i do a skid every tiem ;_;

there was talk of richfags buying the old Holden and Ford factories but i am not sure what happened.

The aussie dollar is fairly cheap i dont know why the jumped the gun and axed our cars

>muh cost of labor and export
horseshit these companies make money without even trying even with horrible generic gelatinous blobs like we saw in the 2000's and most recently with the goddamn hybrid meme

>I'll enjoy doing fully sick skidZ with my tools in the back on way home from work bruhz

>get caught
>get car towed and crushed
>walk home
>get mauled by an Emu on the way home

Such is life in Australia.

>he doesn't know how fast a 900hp diesel truck is
roll coal. oh wait, enjoy ur nanny state. you know what we call utes in the US? beaner lower riders. there is a reason they don't sell in the free market.

>USA
>free market
Yeah you are so free to import a brand new falcon ute... oh wait
You NEED TO wait TWENTY FIVE YEARS LMAO

>import a brand new falcon ute

Why do that when you can get a resto-modded ElCamino and not look like a faggot?

If they would sell worth a damn, you know, the AMERICAN auto makers in your nation, GM and Ford, would sell them here. Enjoy all you factories being shut down ausfag.

>what is the purpose of a ute other than to carry around car parts or landscaping gear?
Pretty much anything you can fit in a truck, you can fit in a ute. Motorbikes, BBQs, furniture, etc.

Difference is that a ute is basically a car with a tray; comfy, convenient, decent handling, smaller (easier to park and drive), lighter, etc.

Parts are also usually dirt cheap because there's so much in common with the Commodore/Falcon sedans and wagons, plus you're not paying more for those large 4x4 tires that go on most trucks, and the engines will usually come with much more power than you can get in the Australian range of pickup trucks and 4x4s - a 3.2L turbodiesel feels slow as fuck compared to even a petrol 3.6L V6 or 4.0L I6, for example.

>there is a reason they don't sell in the free market.
Import restrictions and shit like that chicken tax law or whatever it's called that basically forces imported utes to have seats in the back of the tray (like the Brumby/BRAT/whatever you call it there).

It's pretty expensive to change the utes we make/made into LHD configuration, too. That's the main reason our Commonwhores and Falcunts weren't exported to the US.

>Pretty much everything you can fit in a truck, you can fit in a ute.

I can fit a couple tons of concrete mix in my truck bed and haul it around easily. Can your ute do that?

Fact is no one in Australia wants to buy these any more either except enthusiasts (hoons if you like) and some people who don't feel the need to drive something massive to feel manly. They make up a small percentage of the car market now, however.

Ever since the huge bloated dual cab pickup style became popular in the US people have been wanting the same thing here in Australia and in other markets too for that matter. Simple fact is those vehicles aren't produced in RHD but people have been flocking to things like Hilux, Triton, Navara, Amarok, Colorado and now the Ranger which have all been raised up on stilts and also are far more common in dual cab body style in emulation of the style of US pickups. Every single one of those utes I mentioned on their own sell more than Holden or Ford sell car-based utes. In the case of the Hilux it's by a huge margin.

Whereas not too long ago hardly anyone bought a 4WD ute because it's not necessary here now city streets are full of these poseur-mobiles. These 4WD, dual cab models sell in much higher numbers than 2WD models with a big tray which are used by people who need them for work. You do see the occasional Amarok or Ranger with a single cab and large tray but it's extremely uncommon. It's more common to see that with Hiluxes as it's the default choice for a lot of people.

There are still people who use traditional Aussie utes for work though because it's all they need, comfortable and easy to use. I also see the occasional SS ute used by someone for work too which often puts a smile on my face

This man speaks the truth. Utes are dying because 4wd dual cabs are to men what the SUV is to the soccer mom.

No, hence the 'pretty much'. The point of the ute is that it's more convenient to use as a day to day vehicle than the kind of large pickup truck that's popular over in America. F-250s and the like are considerably larger than most of the trucks we get in our market; our suburban roads and car parks aren't really built with those size of vehicles in mind, so it's a lot easier to drive a sedan-sized ute around them than it is a full-size work truck.

They also work quite well as tow vehicles, so if you needed to haul around a couple tonnes of building supplies then it'd be cheap and easy to rent a trailer for that extra load.

Obviously if you're doing this kind of heavy hauling regularly then you won't buy a ute.

For doing work around here which would break a Hilux people use these

For carrying that much weight we use what we call trucks.

Well nowadays people like to call utes trucks too. It's lame

Your truck isn't going to be faster than the Ute in OPs picture.

I've never seen someone seriously refer to a Ute as a truck.

I haven't either, but I read online that it's becoming a more popular term. And then there's Holden referring to their Colorado as a truck. Both Holden and Ford are marketing the word.

Was just going to post this. Fucking Land Cruisers are everywhere in my home town, since it's mostly farmers around that area.

That reminds me, I did see the chick in the Ford ads calling their utes trucks. Sounds so stupid.

C1E basically, it's for a GVWR of 16500-ish lbs and a GCWR of 26400-ish lbs. You'd think that it's absolutely retarded to require this many license classes, but you'd immediately disqualify yourself as retarded if you think that it's safe to let any stupid fuckwit with a basic license drive 12 metric tons of tow combination on European roads. You burger gobbling shitbags with your landing strip grids can not possible imagine the perils of driving in Europe.

For how many more decades is that shitcunt making payments on his shit truck, his stupid house on wheels and his boat?

usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/06/car-loans-now-top-1-trillion-delinquency-rates-rise/89911210/

>I need a huge truck to pull around some fire wood once a year

That rig is probably well over 26k lbs. An 18 year old could drive that. Isn't that beautiful?

If he's an Engineer making 300k a year with no kids then it's probably paid for.

You're thinking of the Rig Pigs that blow their money on brotrucks and crack.

Oh, and before you start talking bullshit, there's this thing called putting brakes on your trailer, too; and using up the trailer rating a few times a year will not grenade the transmission unless you bought a heap of shit car to begin with.