/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

high capacity edition
previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Spengies Server Pasta
pastebin.com/uPudaAyJ

Other urls found in this thread:

develop-online.net/interview/mariina-hallikainen-stop-calling-me-a-female-ceo/0209587
store.steampowered.com/app/290020/
store.steampowered.com/app/363530/
steamcommunity.com/groups/eggpryion
steamcommunity.com/app/514290
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for the soviet union is responsible for all of today's civil unrest.

second for whoever buys avorion needs to upload their directory so we can all play :^)

First for elephant seals

>bullying them when they just lost their choir

>I'm pretty sure that failsafes don't take subobjects into consideration
Maybe I can add some sort of metal obstacle in the middle so it will prevent it from shooting there.
I've also found the answer to my second question, the description says extra constrains work for missiles too.

double check the failsafes are actually connected. they don't join to every available surface on the LWC they're fussy. I know they work because these two front turrets don't shoot each other. You can also edit the failsafe settings to increase or decrease the tolerance.

As for torpedoes I'd like to know that one myself. ppl say edit fire constraints but it doesn't seem to work.

>mfw they won the cold war and cultural marxism is still rampant

They did it themselves you dumb shit. It's a manufactured casus belli.

>jewish commies were responsible for the soviet union AND are responsible all of todays civil unrest

FTFY faggot. The kgb merely continued what the kikes started

So I've finished going through every FtD tutorials and all the story missions. And I still don't understand what kind of game I am playing. Is it some kind of RTS-like ship building simulator with physics? Like, no one in this thread mentionned the RTS aspect, yet when I tried to play the campaign, I'm thrown in some kind of huge map with encounters like in an RPG.

I think I can get through that.

What I can't get through is this game's fucking lore. Parents? Revenge? Dude I'm a fucking ugly disembodied robot that moves horrendously and has magic tentacles coming out of its body. How am I supposed to get immersed in any kind of story? Are they going to like revamp the entire graphics at some point? How are they gonna justify the tentacles part?

It's faster to just say bolsheviks.

DELETE THIS

no

It's an odd beast. It's not any specific type of game it's just a game. You just build toys and then play around with them in various scenarios.

Like when you played with technic lego as a kid you weren't playing any clearly defined game you just play around and have fun.

It falls somewhere between game and sandbox.

>the campaign
community fugg'd it with minmaxy designs instead of proper shit
/egg/ once had a custom campaign that was being designed.
Once.
>What I can't get through is this game's fucking lore
FtD has lore?

Yeah the campaign and story modes have lore. Quite a lot of it like in the default campaign you're a rebel pirate who going to take out the rest of the deep water guard pirate alliance.

>minmaxy designs
like, building a single ship that can steamroll the entire map?

Yes, the failsafes display "connected to local weapon controller".
I've solved the missiles, in the missile controller block you can set extra constrains and those will prevent the missiles from firing if the enemy isn't in that angle.
I've attached a screen of how I've set them up, for azimuth 0 is front, + is right and - is left.
Pic is the right side, they shoot 15 deg right from the front, and all the way to the back.
Too bad it doesn't go over 180, so it won't shoot if the target is slightly over the middle of the back.

How curious, I'm 26 and now living with my gf, and we bought Lego for us two for christmas.

I got myself a Lego Technic hydroplane and was thinking of FtD.

That gun has a hat on it!

A girl who likes technic lego? I'm so incredibly jelly

The soviets did nothing wrong

>How curious, I'm 26 and now living with my gf
Go to hell.

>We didn't listen to Patton
>It cost us fucking everything

>gotta hate cause theyve got something you don't

what are you man russian?

though I have engineering gf too

Why did the torpedoes decide that my ship was a good target even though there's a friend or foe detection addon?
Do I need a flag? The wiki doesn't say so.
The thing happened after a couple of minutes the torpedoes were launched, so it might be some error in the targeting that sent them running in a circle or something

afaik the fof will stop torps actively targeting friendlies but it will not pathfind around them

Perhaps making them slightly less bouyant so they sink slowly after being launched, passing under your boat but will surface themselves to hit the enemy

>having an eggf
noice

They're shooting perpendicular to the boat, there's no risk of hitting it, and since they have no ballast they aren't gonna sink.
But they ran in a circle until they hit my boat, I have no idea why.

Nevermind, I solved the mistery.
I had shot some before that didn't have the FOF add-on from another ship a bit far away, they might have just been those strays.
I forgot I had another ship lying around

The deepest lore

>tfw nick will never be able to model humans, so he'll continue with retarded bullshit that looks awful

gimme one reason why I shouldn't just spam machinecraft on /v/ and thus drag them to /egg/

They won't care and you'll be banned shortly. Sorry if that's too many reasons.

Should I buy scrap mechanic? Is it worth $13?

because they'll leave once they realize everything is dead

Nobody will like it. I'm here and I don't play it

no just pirate it

would be more relevant on /g/ imo

/v/ is for video games

gas chambers with you

1st for King Sherman Slav Tenk

dat quarter turn

Vermin are too stupid for engineering games.
They'd ruin /egg/

It will lower average skill of a playerbase.

You are like a little baby.

I think some of the easy OW designs are a little volatile

Is Cities: Skylines not egg?

/cbg/ is not /egg/, no
/cbg/ is /ded/

No, /cbg/. I'm sorry, but you can't try to rebuild here.

it's made by degenerates who don't understand road rules, probably because they look like the kind of people who are too progressive to own a car.

It was fun for a little while though I guess. less depth than say sim city 2000 imo.

develop-online.net/interview/mariina-hallikainen-stop-calling-me-a-female-ceo/0209587

I honestly thought you were joking.

I wasn't joking but I didn't know they were actually full blown sjw retards either. My only exposure to them is seeing a picture of 3 of the developers together and made an educated guess.

These people are so predictable and true to the stereotype it's almost scary.

These people let a fucking dog get on their dev team

Isn't it literally saying "shut up about me being female it literally doesn't matter," and something to the effect of "we have female staff because the best people who applied for those positions just happened to be female when they turned up for the interview"?

Sounds like the ideal desu ne.

>we're special because we have female devs
>stop pointing out how this is special you're raping me

What a fucking century to exist.

>>we're special because we have female devs
But where does it say that, or rather, when did they?

>9 numales
>3 women
>1 ambiguous
>we don't have an agenda!

She's smart enough to not push sjw bullshit in more serious publications that would be suicide.

>Exploration enhancement mod
Damn shame it's labelled as "broken", concept looks cool.

Fucking top lel. Three instances of REM running at once, 500+ parts per instance, roughly 46-ish fps. We also have some basic failstate shit in, so REM is finally technically a game now. Also keeping track of matches/wins/losses/draws in a given instance, with auto restarting so if you feel like leaving it running for a few hours to repeatedly test a design you can do that too.

>Also keeping track of matches/wins/losses/draws in a given instance, with auto restarting so if you feel like leaving it running for a few hours to repeatedly test a design you can do that too.
I have now planted the idea in your head that you should disable framerate limits and allow a genetic algorithm to semi-randomly design a ship through random mutations and fitness testing.

That's a neat idea, user, but that's also a whole lot of trouble for 'just' a neat idea. There's a few ways to implement this into the multiplayer as a co-op mode where you have to kill the evolved ship that's using the gene seed of a star fighter, but that's a whole lot of trouble and bugs waiting to happen.

whatever happened to Species?

Oh please. All you have to do is set it to either
a) create a new structural member at a new point
b) create a new connection between valid vertexes
c) create/edit a panel
d) move a vertex
e) add/remove component

Run that 20 times, then throw them at eachother for 20 rounds and pick the best 5 based on hits taken, hits dodged, maneuverability, and how highly each is weighted against the other two. Then repeat for the next generation.

Alright my man, how does that look in C#?

Fuck if I remember. I haven't written a line in five years, I'm down to algorithms. At the simplest I can do, it boils down to ;
>random integrer between 1 and 5
>if 1, pick a random vertex and create a new member at a random valid coordinate
>throw random integers at this until a valid coordinate is found
>if 2, pick a random vertex from a list and then pick another until one can have a connection without colliding with existing components
>if 3, randomly either find an enclosed polygon created by vertexes and add a panel of random thickness, or select an existing panel and increase/decrease by random amount
>if 4, move an existing vertex by a random number of units, verifying all connections remain valid
>if 5, either randomly select a component and place it at a random valid point in a random direction, or select existing component at random and delete it

All have varying levels of complexity but can be done crudely and complimented by just running the thing longer.

I suppose symmetry makes this at least somewhat easier, but the problem of control then arises, given the complexity of REM's pid system in comparison to the LOL MAGIC of most games in 6dof.

I think we're the only ones with hardcore realistic physics on the movement side of things, in any case.

But for a thruster to properly interact with the PID and AI system, they need to be manually bound. What you'd get, given we got it at all, would be a blob of parts tumbling around and spitting bullets everywhere.

Only so much you can fix by adding more typewriters and monkeys to the equation.

is REM best girl

yes

>Only so much you can fix by adding more typewriters and monkeys to the equation.
Let's not mince words. This, like all genetic algorithms, would require hundreds of iterations to yield anything interesting.

But I have a boner for such things.

Strange, I don't recall any major update that could have broken it more than it already was .
The thing gets broken and fixed pretty often though, so keep an eye on it.

Haydee fag pls go, best grills don't need to be grill shaped.
Shap is fine, just find hole of suitable design. Remember that a silicone probe is better suited at testing shapholes than your actual interface dongle.

>Citites
>Borderline

Pretty sure /civ4xg/ would welcome /cbg/ like they did with RTS games (was there even rts general before?)

I wonder why there is no community-made populated worlds
I mean, with this amount of cool planets people made, there bound to be one autist who would start empty world and then hand-place planets and encounters on them. Or will the game just shit on itself after a while if too much is done?

By their looks dog must be their second best game dev. (Best is literal "autist big guy" in the center.)

I think you should git gud

Was testing out a new minelaying bomber, spawned in some random OW ships for AP testing and fine-tuning weapon constraints. That image is the result of a single mine.

We don't talk about that.
Legend says everyone working on that campaign was cursed. Some say it was CLANG himself punishing the foolish, some say Nick had enough of their shit and unified them into a writhing mass of material. All we know is that anyone who speaks its name, soon goes missing.

Praise to the /egg/ fleet.
TRITON ACKBAR.

/egg/, we've got 13 people from two different generals playing on a server that has ~40-50 people during downtime and 150+ during peak times, with an average pop of 90. Plus, Empyrion is only $10 right now, so what excuse do you have for not joining in on the fun?

Being gassed is an acceptable excuse.

does it have engineering

is it even an /egg/

does it have gas

What server?

store.steampowered.com/app/290020/
Is this engineering?
Because this looks like Robot Arena for assholes.

so how's the game lads

That looks like engineering. Now the question is, is it any good

yes

>robot arena for assholes

no this is

store.steampowered.com/app/363530/

No, user, that is Robot Arena made by an asshole, not for assholes.

looks engineering ish

Now that looks like proper autism.

user the autism appears to be very deep here. Looks like it's actually simulating the robots properly.

Programming robots with logic gates is fucking intense. No one programs robots this way.

When I saw it I thought of omega. The robot programming in this was hard as shit. So autistic that there aren't even any videos of it on YT that show the programming part of the game.

serb?

>so what excuse do you have for not joining in on the fun?
My PC being picrelated and Empyrion being unoptimized little shit.

Homeworld serbs NA
steam group here: steamcommunity.com/groups/eggpryion

more of a /svgg/
Grandfather'd in.
It has some gases. Probably not the ones you're thinking of.

gr8 m8 i r8 it 8/8

Works fine for me :^)
usually 50-60fps even at peak times.

steamcommunity.com/app/514290
Discount factorio?

>Infinite Loop of fun
>Infinite Loop
>Loop
>LOOP

>not having everything input and output onto one giant belt loop of chaos
Plebian.

ya shouldn't have people joining at-random considering the factions.

What do you mean?