Manual V.S. Automatic

Manual Vs Automatic debate thread
Why do you like or dislike manual/automatic transmission?
>Must have a valid point
>No "because it's more fun"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission#Variable-diameter_pulley_.28VDP.29_or_Reeves_drive
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

>"because it's more fun" isn't a valid point
>especially on a car enthusiast board

Are you fucking kidding me? I'll play along though since there are other valid reasons

>more control over my vehicle
>safer because I'm more engaged in my driving, and therefore alert
>more reliable than automatics, at least the shitty DCT ones Ford offers

Manual
>I CHOOSE when to shift
>Engine braking
>Closer connection to vehicle, more control
>Simpler than an automatic, I can tear it apart and know what everything is, easier to service
>More engaging experience
>Nogs cant drive stick
>Because it's more fun

>nogs cant drive stick
this.

How do you deal with driving a manual in traffic though, mostly talking about stop and go traffic

I shift on my automatic way more fun than stick

>muh connection to this car
>more engaging experience
god, just shut the fuck up. you sound like analog faggots who say its a more pure experience. all it is is a different way to drive

for a daily drive, I will always choose automatic. If I want to drive like a maniac, I will always choose a manual.

if you actually care what gear you are in for some reason other than performance, a automatic with a shiftronic will be just fine

I like both, but drive a manual so people don't give me constant shit.

Plus manuals sound much better honestly.

I drive manual because everytime I take my tinder date on a ride we end up fugging.

Something about that stick and third pedal that gets em hot and bothered

Manuals are great for everything right up until you spend all day everyday in buttfuck 5mph traffic stop and go uphill downhill with people trying to jump in and run you off the road without any warning. Then trying to slip a clutch and synchronize gears while dealing with everyone else and rolling back with the car behind you only giving you .0001mm of space is pure hell.

Living in the city is rapidly sucking my soul out. Especially the SF bay area. I really wouldn't mind driverless cars fully taking over the roads here. It's virtually impassable 16 hours out of every day.

I like both. But prefer the new 2016 CVTs automatics over old autos.

>whole general population switches to self driving cars
>so few accidents that highway driving is enjoyable again
>self control of car is illegal though, as a result of decline in accidents

is safety worth it??

I like not having to guess where some bullshit nipbox autotragic is going to place my shift points

>must have a valid point
>except for this one valid point that i dont agree with
bazinga indeed

>Opinions are now valid points

manuals being fun isnt an opinion unless you have a learning disabillity

It is of not opinion but valid point that you are a fucking retard.

>Fun is objective
No it isn't. I think manual is fun yes but is only an opinion and is not a valid point.

I think there will just be special lanes/roads that are self driving only and most cars will have both self driving and a backup manual option. I'm pretty sure you will still be able to drive a normal car most anywhere you would really want to, they'd just gradually be phased out and relegated to classic/antique status with a large group of enthusiasts. Fir instance nobody can make 60s muscle cars anymore, but if you have one you can definitely drive it around. You can even drive a model T if you have one.

Also don't sweat it. There will always be demand for fun, zippy user-driven cars. Lots of people either enjoy driving or wish they could have a more enjoyable car.

That's not an argument.

Automatic with a column shifter and bench front seat

That way ya can cuddle with bae while cruisin on the highway

>Not manual column shifter

>not DDing like a maniac
>not DDing on the touge
>not having fun

Auto because it's much more relaxing to drive

When was the last time they made a manual column shifter? The 70s? You couldn't possibly be that old that you've used or remember that being around.

For me it's not really an issue of like or dislike, it's just that automatic is all I've ever known.

>manual
>better control over the powerband in cars that don't have ship anchors for engines
>results in better fuel economy unless you're only looking at cars less than five years old, and even then the fuel economy is still better for small engines
>feels more involved, makes you pay more mind to your driving

>auto
>don't have to shift during your thick traffic commute
>seriously, if you have a shit commute you'll learn to hate manuals

tl;dr auto for DD, manual for project, but I wouldn't want to get stuck with a single car with an automatic

>auto
I´d say DCT or manual for DD.

>more and more new cars are removing the stick entirely and replacing them with buttons

This earth is gay.

Practice. duh.
Within one week you should be able to stop chocking and have decent control.

thats what Veeky Forums calls leg day my friend.

>he never drove a 1950 traktor
>he never used a 100lb clutch

I'm 21 and I've driven cars with column shifters

It's not like it's some lost old technology or something

I was just joking. I would love to try driving one though.

I live in an area that doesn't have heavy traffic so its no problem for me. They are usually cheaper, more reliable (depending on how you drive), easier to modify (trans wise), and there is just more satisfaction in not only knowing that you are more engaged with your cars inner mechanics, but being able to slam through gears. Plus there's the neutral wiggle.

I've always driven automatic because it's the most widely available. I don't think I've ever even seen a manual vehicle for sale in my area.

I just drove a new Ford Focus. Auto still jerks the car when gas goes to floor. Slow reaction time. Shifts in middle of corners. Etc, etc.

Basically, automatics have surpassed manual, but not on shitboxes for driving fun/fast.

lole

dual clutch is best. You cannot argue to the contrary.

I've never driven an automatic car so I don't really know what's wrong with it

I would take manual any day of the week were it not for the pain in the ass of stop and go traffic

In hilly areas autos can be nice because you don't have to do any fancy footwork to avoid an insurance hike because literally nobody gives you any fucking space ever.

Also quite nice if you don't care about cornering- autos are well suited to GTs and other plush cruisemobiles

For everything else manuals are inherently superior

>TFW own a FoST
>manual

>don't get the shitty transmission problems that most salty ford plebs get

>mfw everyone bitches about the transmissions shitting out but they all have automatics

Manual gives more control over your car

What about CVTs with pseudo-gears? Best of both worlds

>as inefficient as autos
>steps as a manual
>relieable like a CVT

More like the worst of 3 worlds.

I have literally never had problems with my CVT

I assume your car is under 100.000km.

I assume your IQ is under 100

I assumed your has driven under 100.000km since the typical wear related problems tend to start around 100.000km.
The last time I made a IQ test my IQ was above 100, but that was more than 10 years ago.
If you assumed my IQ based on my use of the english language, you might be wrong.
I am german and learned english in school.

calm down bro it was a joke

>no sources for evidence of bad CVT's
>spews memes instead

>Germans being literal and humorless as usual

I like both.

Manual just feels like you have more control of your car. Can't really describe it. You feel more "one" with your car. I find traffic in a manual not too bad, but I've been doing it for 5 years so I'm used to it. The real challenge comes from stopping at a light on a steep incline and a guy wanting to bumper tap you.

Auto is nice as a luxury item when I just wanna chill and cruise.

CVTs are based on a unlubricated belt or chain with rubber contact surfaces, these surfaces will wear out faster than well lubricated teeth or bearings in a conventional gearbox.

>still no evidence

Auto because remote start.
Remote start is important because winter and snow, I press a button and it just starts itself inside of a snow pile and melts the snow around it for easy removal.

Manual allows you to have more overall control over your car's acceleration/deceleration characteristics
Automatic allows you to get in and thoughtlessly commute
I'm sure there are other benefits to both but that's my understanding of my automatic fusion and my manual honda

The evidence is kind of common sense.
We call them rubber bands for a reason at the shop

I actually prefer manual in stop and go traffic... Especially when I'm doing 80 and realize Im coming up on a traffic jam

What is THE most fun manual car to drive?

>its common sense
STILL NO SOURCES

Its also not "unlubricated" they still have tranny fluids you retard

The one you own

>still no sources
This is my second post itt and first reply to you. I'm not on Veeky Forums nor am I in an academic setting so if you want sources I heavily encourage you to open another tab and find them.

>simply refuses to provide sources for his claims
>its common sense
>I work in a shop
>happens all the time
anecdotes are not evidence you mong.

>go find the evidence for me
not my job faglord

Lol you sound like a Bitch.

t. Manual driver.

>soft surface
>high friction
>no lubrication

Why shouldn´t that have more wear than lubricated hardened steel?

A motorcycle.

>transmission fluid is not lubrication.

Not evidence

>implying I have a horse in your argument
You drive a CVT. You'll be in the shop to fix it sooner than an automatic Honda from the 90's
Then you can be an anecdote of a different type.

POST SOME FUCKIN SOURCES

Any documentation of CVT failure? any studies or conglomerated evidence at all comparing the failure rates?

Analog is objectively better though.

>my anecdote says
Thats not evidence

Post a source or fuck off you shithead

In a CVT the transmission fluid doesn´t get to the belt.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission#Variable-diameter_pulley_.28VDP.29_or_Reeves_drive
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction

Did you literally just imply CVTs never fail you flaming autist?

You're an anecdote though.
Your source is at your fingertips. I'm not your teacher.

I didn't say that at all

I'm saying your retarded meme that they die often is false until you provide evidence

If the "evidence" was at my fingertips why isn't it also at YOUR fingertips?

Don't tell me how easy it is for me to do your job when you somehow can't do it you lazy faggot

CVTs are god tier, fuck off troglodytes

>its so easy to find sources that I don't wanna do it myself, even though its so easy for me to prove my claims right
>[frantic googling intensifies]

Because it's more fun.

>Don't tell me how easy it is for me to do your job

It's not anybody's job to spoon-feed you information, you spoiled brat.

>spoon-feed

>write a paper
>professor asks for proof
>"just google it"
>F- see me after class

You're a lazy nigger "just do it for me!"

just look at

>tfw not even googling
I don't need a source for the sky's color.
>CVT transmission failure is now a research paper requiring citations
Do you honestly even know anything about them?
Can you explain to me how a CVT works without copy-pasting Wikipedia and explain the advantages and disadvantages compared to your traditional automatic?

I always buy manual because for some reason niggers don't understand how to drive it so I've never had a car stolen.

>CTVs are god tier, fuck off troglodytes

pic related, troglodytes

good night, retards.

But you're not a college professor. You're just some cunt on the internet.

Wikipedia is not a source for the claim that they're gonna shit the bed.

You're a shill and you're regurgitating some meme you heard somewhere else

Nissan has been using CVT's since the early 80's and they're all extremely reliable

>post a source
>Wikipedia isn't a valid source!
Then follow the citations on the page like you're supposed to

>Do you honestly even know anything about them?
Obviously you don't if you can't provide any evidence to your claims

>provides source
>THAT'S NOT THE SOURCE I WANTED
>YOU'RE A SHILL

Autism personified

My only claim has been they fail.
You do realize that right?
Do I really need to provide evidence that a transmission on a car broke? Is it that rare?

>get off work.
>pull car into garage let it idle with heater on
>Co worker I banged 2 days ago asks if I'm off
>I tell her yeah my car is in the shop I ask if she wants a ride to her car
>"well user, I'm not going to say no"
>nod my head toward car and say "let's go girl"
>she good in she's wearing sandals it's a crisp 42 degrees outside in northern Cali boi
>feet heater on high for her
>clutch in reverse, she's studying my stick
>she asked me to teach her to drive manual earlier today
>I say no problem whenever she has time.
>I'm reversing out of the shop she says "let's go
>"where?"
>"teach me how to drive stick user"
>Fasho. We pull out onto the road I'm teaching her the fundamentals of the pedal work while she's watching my feet
>pull into where house parking lot and start my lessons.
>20 minutes in she's pretty much got the hang of it other then the usual jerky take offs and occasional stall, too much gas not enough clutch bull crap.
>she says she's done wants to go back to her car
>I drive her back she says she wants another lesson
>"yeah let me know when"
>"possible tomorrow?"
>"sure thing"
>she says bye and hops in her car.
Feels good to drive stick to be able to teach qt's how to drive them.

>>No "because it's more fun"

>Nissan CVT
>reliable
pick one

pic related

If you try to cite wikipedia on a paper you're gonna get shafted and thrown out of school

nothing in that wikipedia article talks about the failure rates and reliability issues. You're a fucking shill

No the original claim was that they were unreliable and they failed way more often thaan other trannies and you're fucking wrong until you can show some real empiracle evidence of this being true

I didn't make the original claim nor do I give a fuck. You're autistic either way.