Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast (Returns January 18th):
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZEgwH9bU7zQ
patreon.com/TeguriusGames,
youtube.com/watch?v=NRblmci0CJk
officialbrandonly.tumblr.com/post/154716158852/cca-rpg-download-masterpost
youtube.com/watch?v=WgLe5w9Jg_w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first?

Where's the Collab Game finale?
You said there would be Collab Game finale, Eggman.

Post your beefiest male party member.

First for the Slime Quest demo is done when it's done.

Good night bump

>Have an idea for a game I think would be considered reasonably gud, functional at the very least
>Cannot for the life of me get myself interested enough to put any effort into even planning the game beyond this vague idea
How do?

Either start writing an outline or start doing art or start writing music. Basically start producing the content. You can't make an omelette if you don't break an egg.

Today's Song of the Day:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZEgwH9bU7zQ

Bump.

Any plugin to make stats actually matter? Say you can't wear armor if you're a twig or you can't do this spy subplot if you have the intelligence and sublety of a brick.

can't you just use conditionals for that?

No need for plugins, you can set the value of a variable to be one if your character stat, then use a conditional branch

He doesn't even need to do that. Some of Yanfly plugins outright enable you to put down restrictions of your choosing on weapons/armor/items

Why are you making a game /rpgmg/?

So, any recently released games worth checking out?

I haven't started yet but I kinda want to write down the erotic scenarios I have in my mind, but doing it in a piece of paper or a text file is kinda boring so I thought RPG Maker was a good platform since I'm already used to it.

For fun, I like to mess around with those engines.
I am still looking for a plot for a MV project though, since it's the only one I didn't mess around enough

cause I need to always have an outlet for creativity and this is something I've always wanted to do
also made my character suicidal to try and work through my own suicidal ideation

Optional Barbarian party member. You can get him if you help him recover his sword and money from a group of bandits.

Would you guys react poorly to a hero with a motivation more suited for a villain? For example, a protagonist who despite being good for the most part has a desire and motivation to become immortal at all costs.

Only one I've played was patreon.com/TeguriusGames, which was alright, but short.
I have no problem with not morally good protagonists, as long as you're aware of what you're doing and not writing an villain while believing that you're writing a hero.
A lack of self-awareness can easily be a negative.

Protagonists aren't always heroes.

A while back, I showed the progress on the mapping of Common District. Yesterday I had finished splicing together most useful parts of FSM and RTP(Plus various pieces people have made in same style). Decided I'd touch up the Commons District once more. Once I'm done, I'll show y'all. For now tho', here, have a brand new version of Docks.

your boxes look pretty messed up man, specifically the ones on the lower right

>keep going in these threads
>haven't even opened MV in 35 days

Honestly, if you want to make it look amazing, look into parallax mapping. MV makes it super easy with scripts. Just get a snapshot of your map and start editing it with photoshop(or the GIMP) and you can do some amazing things to totally make the scene believable.

Two things.

1. Just noticed my links for the Lords of Darkness and Monsters Vol.1 from Katakura Hibiki made it to the opening post. I was just about to post them up again.

2. What are some good music packs for VX Ace to get for a D&D inspired game that uses PVG's High Fantasy resources?

Also, I'll just pop this up here. Current version of the starting town for my game.

The map is full of tangent lines. Lines that run into and/or along each other can fuck with the composition. It is a really common thing to do that every artist has to keep an eye out for. Try staggering and spacing things out more to avoid this kind of stuff and you'll be surprised what a difference it makes.

Cuz if I don't I'll just be thinking about this stupid story forever, and it'll never go away. I've also got a couple friends that want to see it.

It started 4 years ago when I decided to take the setting I use for my Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder campaigns and turn it into a video game series.

Now I'm just too stubborn to stop.

Wanted to, and don't know (much) about programming. Also RPGs are intense so... RPG Maker it is.

How would I go about making trap in vx ace that inflicts elemental damage on player?

Yea, Suppose to be three rows deep. Will have to fix.

Once I have done all that can be done regularity, I'll be using GIMP for shadows.

Making a tightly packed city so I'm trying to keep things close.for houses, if I put down a 1 square space inbetween, I image most will be dealt with. Plus, shadows out help with differences too.

Give a hot and slender fire element girl a penis.

I like the way you think.

Post your progress Anons

Tell me the story of your MC

>tangent lines

Maybe I'm just blind, but I can't see the issue on the bottoms of the Inn and the Coin place, as well as the side of the coin place. user how do you even go about fixing these lines?

He lives in a snowy village on the equivalent of South America, near the southern tip, in the wake of a magical post apocalypse that fucked up the world somehow (not sure how yet, but the snow is poisonous). One day, he wakes up, and his sister has disappeared - he really doesn't like living all cooped up in his village, so he relishes the opportunity to chase after her, and leaves the village behind only to discover that he really should have stayed because wow, the world is a harsh place.

what am i doing

dude... I was thinking about how to do that.

MC joined a lab to do his/her PhD.

Tell me more about your game, what is it about?

just learned how to make gifs in GIMP.
MOVIN' ON UP BOYS

NOW WITH COLOR!

Finally I can start animating sprites

What is the reason for pixel art? Can't you just draw something and bring it over? Why don't we see more drawn art?

Well for the animations it uses a sprite sheet. I suppose you could put whatever pictures you want(as long as they are in the sheet format). Most people probably don't do it because there are huge libraries of recourses and generators for pixel sprite sheets. Also the way the tilesets are used makes it very restricted to a grid format for placing events and that restricts how the player can move. You can use parallax mapping and get away from that pixel look but it takes more work than using sprites. Also some people aren't artistically inclined. I have seen digitally painted backgrounds for some games

oh thats interesting. I knew it was something very difficult, i just couldn't wrap my mind around it.

i'd more games with the aesthetics of cuphead

At least for RPG Maker it is slightly more involved. Other game engines let you have much more control over your game in regards to player movement. But RPG Maker is way better in terms of giving you a structure to work with and frame relatively easy with little to no coding at all. And if you do decide to do custom scripting, JavaScript is used, which is fairly easy to understand and use. The plug-ins have really expanded what you can do visually and in game with RPG Maker.

Anyone know why a font might fail to load? I can get some to work but some just won't.

There are multiple file formats for fonts. The engine probably only recognizes a couple.

Alternatively, some fonts lack certain characters and the game might require that those characters exist in order to load a font.

I solved the problem by converting the font file. I converted it from tff to tff, and somehow it works now. no idea what was wrong, but whatever right? It works now.

Man I hate the way RPGM deals with fonts. you have to change the size in like 4-5 places, and it will squish them if it thinks it is too long.

How do you guys handle story progression: switches or variables? I had initially used switches but since Echo607 and several other people have suggested that using variables are easier and more efficient, I have seriously considered using variables for progression instead while my game is still in it's early stages.

Which method do you guys prefer? Or do you have an alternative?

Well it depends on what exactly you need. If it's something you need to keep track of over the course of the game then a variable would be better. Especially if it's something that accumulates over the course of the game. Things like morality, how many times you talk to an NPC, how many of a certain item you have, how many enemies you've killed, etc.

Switches are binary; either their on or off. I like to use those for quests that are started. For example, by talking to a guy who wants me to collect his chickens for him. I'd use a switch to call that quest and make it active, AKA the switch is on. Then when it's done I turn it off. The only issue I've run into is that you need to call the switch before and make it on or off before you use it. The the example above, I would have to set it on OFF then turn it ON when the quest starts and when it's completed it is turned OFF. I'm not an expert on programming RM though.

I have a variable called "Story Progression" along with a few switches when I need more complex stuff, if you use switches, you will a shitload of slots where you could have just used 1 variable slot

A combination- which was really terrible of me and caused by poor planning. Don't do that. I prefer switches because you can name one after each plot point/etc.
So I turn them on after say, you beat the 3rd boss, or when you're halfway through the game, or when you've recruited someone. Then name them to reflect that.
That's also good for non-linear games I'd imagine, but who here even builds a sandbox?

Same here, I started by using switches then I thought I could have used variable instead and I switched midway

I don't know exactly how rpgmaker does it, but variables can serve as switches super easily, it's how you make those in basic programming.
If variable x is set 0, it's off, if it's not set to 0, it's on.
Something like that.

This be the new Commons' District. I might have chewed off too much, but I can't say I can complain much. I have to fill it out a bit more tho'. Guild Hall will be a big place and an item shop is needed too. Plus more random houses you can't enter. It's the Arena's fault(Big thing in the middle). I tend to ascribe to the idea that houses on the map aren't representative of their real size, but even going with that Arena had to be friggin' huge to stand out.

Things that need to be kept track of over longer period of time, such as a Party Member interaction, I use variable. If you do something, somewhere, not even necessarily MQ, you might get a point. At certain times, when you've points enough, you have a talk with the party member at camp/bar/etc.

I use Switches for story milestones. Case in point for Prologue. When you start at the town, you lack the party and townspeople have something to say, normally. Once you progress a bit and end up with the party(Minus 1 guy that you get at the end of first dungeon), I turn on a switch called MQ-PartyAssembled(3). Now some of the npcs from before have something new to say, some give you quests and even objects in the world might give you new info, since party members might comment on them.

Bump

Fuck, planning an actual story is so intimidating.

Don't be afraid user-chan, I'm sure you can do it!

No it's not. You're just afraid of making a bad story.

Anyone have the two new Ancient Dungeons packs? Ancient Dungeons: Jungle and Ancient Dungeons: Winter?

Haha, time to make a window skin!

mfw i'm installing MV in a virtual machine so i can work on linux

>Ancient Dungeons packs
Nobody uses them. The previews are doctored with gradients, shadows, and some non-tileable ground textures that look really natural and organic but are only achievable through some photo manipulation software.

Someone should really call false advertising on them.
But I suppose it's like Underwear models. You got to have the muscles to make it look good. Or in this case, the technical know-how and design smarts.

and there's a step curve at that point. If you're capable of photo manipulation, you're practically a skip away from throwing tilesets away completely.

I can do art.
I can tell a story.
There are Nu-males right now making and have made undertaint clones.
They will continue to pervert the very foundation of gaming to push their agenda.

I am justice.
I am the one who will show us the way of the warrior.
I am the last hope to put an end to the Nu-male uprising.
I am vengeance.

It is the user you replied to. I use them regularly. Never had any problems with making my maps look good.

There's no accounting for bad taste.

So because something works for me, you feel the need to insult me?

This desu

The hero gaming needs but doesn't deserve

So because it doesn't work for me, it's an insult?
You think doing a song & dance entitles you to something? As if people don't have opinions and standards that you're expected meet. We're the ones that have to suffer your work after all.
You won't survive on common courtesy forever. Learn to handle criticism and rejection.

Have you made any progress today?

The real issue is that all rpg heros are hairless teenagers and characters over 30 are a rarity.

I made a small amount, which is better than none.

No joke. There's always been a hard line there. Your options are young & sexy, or ancient with a magnificent wizard beard.

If you don't like what I'm using, fine. You don't have to like it. However, when you throw out 'There's no accounting for bad taste', how am I suppose to take it as anything besides an insult aimed at me?

Instead of commenting more on the resources, you felt the need to make a comment aimed at me. That is not criticism, my friend. Criticism is pointing out what you don't like, which is what you did in the original post regarding the Ancient Dungeon Packs.

You can try and spin it however you like, but that doesn't change the fact that 'There's no accounting for bad taste' came across as an insult aimed at me. Even if you didn't mean it as such.

CCA RPG
Trailer:youtube.com/watch?v=NRblmci0CJk
Latest Version: officialbrandonly.tumblr.com/post/154716158852/cca-rpg-download-masterpost

Hey guys, I got like a solid couple of hours tonight so you guys got any demos of your rpg online right now? I'm down to download!

>there are enemy-exclusive status ailments called curses
>their effects are small and often not combat relevant (can't gain experience, no-loot for combat, all chests are mimics, higher encounter rates, reduced visibility, slower movement, creepy sound effects, creepy graphic changes, renamed characters, minor debuffs, etc)
>curses can't be removed with items, you have to spend some arbitrary number of steps with them
Does this sound annoying?

If you're going for spooky, don't make it mechanical. If it's a system, you can understand it. And if you can understand it, it's not scary.

can't wait for the sexy hentai fan art user.

wait wtf why was a suicide sheep video uploaded to a different channel?

Profit. Fuck er i mean passion...?

Your my god damn hero user.

Ever try LISA the painful rpg? I'm fucking in love with that game lmao

Depends on how good it is from straying from cringe territory.

And they say Veeky Forums doesn't give good advice.

He went to college.

That's some final fantasy 6 ass shit you got there user. Good work.

How could I make it less mechanical? Not telling the player how to cure the curse? A large variety in the number of necessary steps required to overcome the curse?

Guys
Chariot hijacking scene - Y/N?

Different user here. I like these ideas
>creepy sound effects, creepy graphic changes, renamed characters, minor debuffs, all chests are mimics
But don't care for
>slow movement, higher encounter rate, no exp, no-loot.
Because they slow down gameplay. And- as for the former effects, see if you can make them somewhat random too. It's a little extra work but I think it might make the game a more unique experience.
Alternatively:
>hide savepoints, lock doors if the player goes through them a lot, add strange items to inventory, and other things. Or have an screencap of the titlescreen pop up when they go to save- so it looks like they reset RPG maker via F12 or something.

I've wanted to make a JRPG esque game since I found Beyond the Beyond at 8 and I've wanted to make vidya in general my whole life.

And I secretly hope I can make something good enough to sell and have a source of passive income so I can go part-time at my job and spend more time making and playing vidya.

That actually sounds super fucking interesting user. You better make that idea before I steal it

Player steps on "trap" tile
Screen flashes red
Play one of the flame animations
Apply damage maybe have text box explaining what happened

Fucking agreed. Starting a plot is hard, coming up with motivations for your character to go hither and yon that aren't "kill x of these, or save the princess, or restore the crystals" is a pain in the ass, and THEN you've got to do it for every asshole that joins their party.

I'm about to just say fuck it and tick off a list of tropes instead of trying to run from them

Hell yeah

Not him, but you should stop being so self-centered that you get so easily offended. It's clear you're not from this website, otherwise you'd know that such comments are common here. There are places for common courtesy, but people here don't want to hide any of their feelings or thoughts when talking to others, so they will express themselves by heart, constructively or not. I suggest that while you're in here you let go of your precious little feelings and your need for a safe space, because you won't find any of that in this place.

Stolen for my not!mythological Greek game. Thanks, nerd!

I just saw that painting in a youtube video not half an hour ago. Baader Meinhof phenomenon at its finest.

>HURT FEELINGS! SAFE SPACE! GET OUT!

Nobody cares, quit shitting up the thread dumb nodev

No, the bad taste comment was still aimed at you.
The resources are useless in the hands of people with no design smarts.
And you prove my point with a map where are all the trees are unnaturally spaced apart without any overlap. (layers in VX are a bitch; and whoever designed the tileset should know better)
Wall tiles, that were obviously meant for log cabins and not to be stretched to an impossible length to build some kind of fort wall that -- besides the fact horizontal logs wall are complete climbable on their own -- doesn't have a gate, and even if it did, you could jump across from the 2 roof tops.
And... I'll just stop there because I'd have to make multiple posts to say everything I want to say.

Just because rpg maker can make huge maps, doesn't mean the tilesets were designed to compensate for all that space.
I could leave you with some mapping tips. But that's another point I want to leave you with. It's not a critic's responsibility to teach people everything they know. This isn't a classroom, there no precedent for constructive criticism.

Good night bump

You really need to deal with that sleep status effect.

Characters in my game can learn skills through leveling and other means (like story and sidequests)

Is there anything I'm not seeing in the long run wrong with that?

Lots of games do one or the other.

Also besides skill trees what are your favorite things games have done to get you new skills?

I quite liked mixing scrolls in Wild Arms as well as Jack getting inspiration from his techniques all over the place.

>wait wtf why was a suicide sheep video uploaded to a different channel?
I realized that after posting, and found my answer. That song in particular had a very memorable background. Recently, or at least at some point in the past, Suicide Sheep updated the logo of his videos to something very different - pic related. Not realizing this, I scrolled a bit and clicked on the video image I recognized from Suicide Sheep (just below pic related is the video I posted) and posted that.

I noticed from the two comments I was not alone in this mistake:
>Thanks for reup
>i missed that pictures thankyu

Also, I found that the current Suicide Sheep upload is in fact the exact same video it was before. The new logo for it does not appear in the video at all.

And with all that said, Today's Song of the Day:

youtube.com/watch?v=WgLe5w9Jg_w

Posting the radio edit because it flows smoother, but the full version is definitely worth a listen.