How the fuck do crossovers get so much hate

They are objectively the most versatile vehicles. Don't get me wrong they usually are not performance oriented and also lack in a few aspects but literally do well in all others. Fuel/space/ height (because it has been proven this is what buyers want..even in sedans). Why do they get so much hate? They move the most units as of late..does majority rule?

Other urls found in this thread:

advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-slow-ride-home-canada-to-australia-on-a-pair-of-ct110-honda-postie-bikes.1119169/
advrider.com/index.php?threads/canada-to-cancun-on-250-motorcycle.1140366/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MC_platform#New_MC
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If more of them had competent anything to back up the looks and perception of the crossover class, I wouldn't mind.

As it stands, crossovers are a literal meme built purely on marketing and nothing else. They are not capable on anything but tarmac even though their height suggests they can deal with gravel and snow. They are not truly practical even though they're clad in hatchback/wagon-esque clothing.

Subaru started the crossover meme way back in the 90s, well before anyone thought up the term "crossover." They made honest cars that were not only capable on all the sorts of terrain their ridiculous Aus-backwards TV ads depicted, but they were also genuinely useful and could be ordered with proper engines that delivered actual performance instead of the simulation velocity seen in the modern crossover.

Indeed, today Subaru still makes the only legitimate "crossovers" in the business. The Forester, Outback, and Impreza/XV all fall somewhere in the crossover spectrum and offer up things that only serious machines possess, such as turbocharged engines, high-displacement 6 cylinder boxer powerplants, an all wheel drive system that isn't simply taking the axle along for the ride until it's far too late, and interior dimensions designed with more in mind than just a disappointed cuck-dad and his wife, his wife's 2 kids, his wife's side man's dog, and exactly 3.75 million bags of the finest Aldi groceries.

What was once a niche market comprised exclusively of ugly lesbians and actual adventurers who needed something to take their bikes, skis, and surfboards from coast to coast, mountain pass to mountain pass, is now flooded with fake gays and people who only pretend to go on big adventures. Whenever I see a crossover decked out in a $500 Yakima roof rack with nothing on it, I shake my head and wonder why when just 10 years ago literally every single Subaru with roof racks also had some "adventure sport" item(s) strapped to the top no matter what.

Have we become soft as a nation? Do we no longer embark on epic journeys? As it turns out, the only American virtue left to cling to is the one built on false perceptions and image. We drive trucks that will never see so much as a grain of sand in the bed. We own sports cars that will never be driven to within 2/10ths of their limits. We own rotary cars that will spend all 80k of their miles below 4000RPM. And now, we own adventure machines that will never leave the towns and cities they were sold in. These cars will live on the cheapest Wal Mart goodyear Viva3 tires and the finest Supertech 5W30 oil for their entire lives. The grandest journeys they will embark on will be the occasional Costco run and exactly 1 trip to Tennessee to go to grandma's funeral.

I'm embarrassed for my countrymen and I await with open arms the day that self-driving shitboxes finally dominate the streets. At least then nobody will be kidding themselves about why they own their cars.

T - Subaru's marketing division

all most Americans care about is money and fucking and want to feel safe while doing it

crossovers are bigger than normal cars and are usually safe but still get good mpg

most feel they dont have the time to adventure

>m-muh good ol' days
>m-muh rugged maynes from yore

if you think everyone drove muscle cars in the 70s and not big, ugly and inpractical expensive pieces of shit, I got a story to tell ya

>rotary cars that will spend all 80k of their miles

Most DON'T have time to adventure because they fell for the career meme and adamantly refuse to take so much as a single sick day off work, lest they "fall behind" and lose out on a lifetime of more slaving away for a meager wage and the few benefits their pathetic """jobs""" offer these days.

The people who go out and do things are already out doing it in far less capable machines because that's all they can afford, but they make it work because dammit that's what adventure demands. Tiny Tercels running on 3 of their 4 cylinders with huge 25 cubic foot cargo boxes strapped to the top with twine and grandma's best wishes. Old Ford trucks with more rust than good metal rigged to all hell to crawl up rocks and trails that were never meant to be traversed by normal vehicles. Janky Subaru wagons decked out for month-long camping excursions in the Canadian bush. People go out and do things anyway because they can and want to and don't need crappy marketing to qualify their adventuring as a legitimate thing.

>cuck-dad
if he is so miserable and disappointed why doesn't he leave them?

truth.
The spirit of adventure has nothing to do with your vehicle, literally nothing whatsoever. Want proof? People who hike, hitch hike, kayak, bicycle, greyhound, and lawnmower their way around all kinds of countries. The plentiful meme of riding a 150cc scoot around SE asia.

A flashy and expensive 2015 subaru xyz with $6k of lift kit, THULE luggage, driving lights, and name brand A/T tires is a paper elephant if you can't talk to people at campsites or wrangle free help when you're broken down in the sticks.

further reading:

advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-slow-ride-home-canada-to-australia-on-a-pair-of-ct110-honda-postie-bikes.1119169/

advrider.com/index.php?threads/canada-to-cancun-on-250-motorcycle.1140366/

Pic related is obtuse and thoroughly missing the point

Aesthetically, they are lame. Functionality, practicality, they are the perfect mix of a car and truck-based SUV.

I have a Mercury Mountaineer. The 16 MPG sucks. The visibility and cargo space is great though.

A similar CUV will have MORE cargo space by not having a ladder frame chassis, and maybe 22-25 MPG, while having better ride comfort and "car handling"

>decent AWD and ground clearance for trails and snow, for the few days of the year I need it
>cargo interior larger than truck based SUV's
>lightweight and efficient
>common car parts
>high ride height and visibility
sitting higher lets you see way more ahead, this is a huuuge plus

Plus you can tow

For the Mercury, the 29" mountain bike has to have the front tire removed to fit easily.

For the Hyundai, the 29" mountain bike fits complete

>Subaru invented the crossover in the 90s
Come on now... learn your history.
At least these were capable offroad

>carry the same as a wagon and have the same ground clearance while being bigger and having garbage visibility

That thing is embarrassing though. An unused roof rack and an LED bar don't make an offroader, and the position of the front protection bar ruins the approach angle.

Because it's a car built around projecting a "reasonable adult" image and passenger comfort

We're all single white males with some sort of autism. The only image we have is the one we imagine we have. We don't carry passengers often, and when we do, we either hate them, or are just shuttling them to the nearest hotel to exchange $20 for sum fuck.

These cars make sense to 30 year old men with wives who are desperately trying to prove that they "grew up". These cars don't make sense to us.

>More cargo space
>CUV

That is not true due to the fact that CUVs are significantly, dimensionally smaller than your mountaineer.

An modern large SUV yes but not a CUV.

nig plz
they are just hatchbacks on stilts
and with less interior room to boot

>Don't get me wrong they usually are not performance oriented

that reason alone is why most car enthusiast do not like them

There are a few crossovers that aren't shit, but most of these existed before the term "crossover" came into use, and were originally marketed as SUVs.

Cars like the Subaru Outback/Forester, Honda CR-V, and Ford Flex actually offer some amount of cargo capacity and general utility to justify their higher profile, but there are a slew of other crossovers that don't.

Like most marketing terms, "crossover" doesn't even have a precise meaning, so there will be exceptions to any rule. However, most newer CUVs are so badly mired in compromise that they're gimped in every respect- even rear cargo/passenger room ends up being equivalent or worse compared to a regular hatchback. Mileage and performance are meh, terrain capability compared to a sedan is only marginally better, if at all.

Most CUVs are fashion statements, and that's all there is to it.

> Bigger outside, smaller inside
> Fat as an estate car with less interior space
> Bright as fuck headlights in your mirror
> Fuckugly kids in the way
> Always parked illegally or badly
> One dented my car and drove off without leaving details
> Too big to see over/through at junctions
> I HAVE A CHILD BETTER BUY A HUGE TRACTOR
> Not actually capable off-road
> Actually worse off-road than your average hatchback due to pigfat and the fact that hatchbacks don't pretend they can go off-road when they can't

I actually like the new outback desu. They are decently capable in the rough stuff too. Obviously not a rock crawler but I've seen them tackle some fairly gnarly terrain.

>Fuel/space/ height (because it has been proven this is what buyers want..even in sedans).
I'm just disappointed in how much less space they have compared to minivans with similar dimensions.

But the drivers tho

>How the fuck do crossovers get so much hate

How the fuck you are not able to distinguish between suvs and crossovers?

The 500X is a crossover while the NX is a suv.

On the smaller end, they're just wagons with worse handling. On the larger end, they're just minivans with conventional doors and less room. My mom has a Chevy Traverse, the largest crossover ever made by a wide margin, and it has far less people and cargo space than either the Chevy Uplander or Venture she had before. Can still fit a ton of stuff, but it doesn't compare favorably to friends' parents Grand Caravans, Siennas, or Odysseys either.

>NX is a suv
lolno. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MC_platform#New_MC

This, dad made a mistake of owning a crossover for a few years and the inside space was comparable to a subcompact. Terrible piece of shit.

>and with less interior room to boot
>Fat as an estate car with less interior space

pls.

Behind 2nd row seats:

Volvo V90: 19.7 cu ft
Volvo XC90: 41.8 cu ft

Audi A6 Avant: 18.71 cu ft
Audi Q5: 29.1 cu ft

VW Tiguan: 23.8 cu ft
VW Passat Wagon: 22.9 cu ft (pretty close)

Ford Escape: 34 cu ft
Ford Mondeo Wagon: 19.8 cu ft

BMW 5 Series wagon: 19.7 cu ft
BMW X3: 27.6

And the list goes on and on. I'm not one for crossovers, but they do have a lot more space then comparable wagons

At the end of a day a vehicle is literally just that. Its something to get to bring you and your passengers and shit to a point B. If it can make it from A to B without B.S Its worth mentioning. Anyone who gets a sporty 2 door or some stupid drift meme before buying the aforementioned in a goober in my book. 90 percent of your driving is done to get you or something somewhere...if your car cant do that its pretty much irrelevant. We should demand more affordable sport crossovers like the new nsx f from lexus or maybe even a si variant crv/hrv from Honda. I have had enough of the daily meme machine. Nobody wants to daily a fucking brz/xyz in the snow with shit stacked everywhere in the back. I love my cross over. It has room for my lady, my dog, my shit and I can take it on trips whenever without worrying about bottoming out or being stuffed to the gills because no room.

The biggest problem I have with them is that most manufacturers just take a base car model, put it on stilts, add some weight to the body making it bigger, then call it good.

850/V70?

I actually like base model cars. I'm pretty young at 25 and really just need something to get me places and might even last me a few years when I have my first kid. I have a 2016 HRV base model with some bells and whistles. Its a decently fun car for around town.