Say something nice about this car that I own myself. It can't be just a meme car

Say something nice about this car that I own myself. It can't be just a meme car.

Other urls found in this thread:

slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/07/yesa_prius_goes_100_mph.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The car itself is alright. Not great, but alright. The owners are all self-important assholes who love to rub it in your face about emissions and how it's going to save the planet (it isn't).

good gas mileage
your kids won't speed in it

>your kids won't speed in it
lies
slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2007/07/yesa_prius_goes_100_mph.html

I've gone 97 in one, but it's a lot less likely to be sped in because it doesn't have any power behind it

It's honestly not a bad car, acceleration is shit, I floored it at every stop light, but you cant be the MPG. It will easily go up to 120 on the freeway

>personal expirence

I felt the damn thing losing control at 90+, I wouldn't try 120 personally. Good to know it's possible, tho.

>Say something nice about this car

Prius got 380 lb-ft torque.

I own a good condition gen-1 myself and try to keep it forever, as its one of the most iconic cars in history.

It has good japanese understatement with very good technical solutions. Its also very quiet inside wich makes it a good traveler.

My father had one like that until recently
>inb4 ecofag
He wanted a Toyota sedan and in Germany there were only two choices at the time. Either the Prius or the Avensis (the Corolla, called Auris in Germany, only was available as an hatchback), and he went with the Prius. He doesn't really care about global warming, but having to pay less for gas bills is nice. Add to that that it's spacious and reliable. In 10 years and after ~180 000 km the only thing that went wrong was the exhaust, the rest has just been normal wear items that were replaced (e.g brakes). That's why he bought the new one this year

The engine noise is pretty loud at high speeds, but outside of highways it's rather quiet. One oddity is that over uneven surfaces at ~130 km/h the car is really shakey, but it isn't at higher lower speeds or higher speeds. But to be fair, the only place where you're going to feel that is on highways where the road surface is concrete instead of asphalt (I only know very few highways where that is the case, such as in eastern germany, so this problem might not exist for you)
Fastest I ever went in it was 165 km/h in an unrestricted part of the Autobahn while going downhill, but the car isn't made for going fast. Speeds from 120 - 140 km/h are just fine, and it's likely that you live somewhere where the maximum speed limit is lower than that

>reliable
>good mpg
>low maintenance cost
>sits 5 people comfortably
>good commuter car
I don't see what is wrong with it other than the looks. It isn't meant to be a fucking sports car

No one will be able to accidentally speed

If someone wants to speed, they'll find a way with anything

I'd say it's the iconic car, the thing you think of when you think of a car made between 2005 and 2015. It shows a shift towards fuel efficiency from the hueg SUVs of the early 2000s.

Dem sikk elektrik torks.

>It shows a shift towards fuel efficiency from the hueg SUVs of the early 2000s.

WHAT?
I would like to know on which planet you life because on earth there's a big shift TOWARDS huge ass cars like SUVs and crossovers.
Even in general "normal" cars are expanding like fuck.

Yeah, now. Not when it was first coming out. Gas hasn't been this low in ages, I'm seeing more Panthers on the road than I did at any point in the mid to late 2000s.

Also those crossovers still do at least 30mpg.

>Also those crossovers still do at least 30mpg.
on paper.

it's true that they get tons of better fuel efficiency than in the past but equally the faking of MPG numbers increased, too.
they go through all kinds of idiotic hoops to justify that the reallife numbers differ so much from the advertised numbers.

It has a good drag coefficient

so do cheap nightclubs

I feel like i'm missing out here

I have a Gen-1 too. It went about fifteen years without having to pay for any repairs. Then my main (traction) battery failed and I had to pay $2200 for a new battery (a total of $3000 to swap some electronics from the old battery to the new battery and install the new battery.) Then I had to get the AC recharged. I'm fairly proactive with maintenance, including things like inverter coolant and transaxle fluid - not mentioned in the normal service schedule. Because of regenerative braking I'm still on the original pads and rotors.

Future lurking big-dollar problems are:
Transmission (MG2 stator insulation failure) - $2600
Steering Rack (torque sensor failure) - $3200 ouch!!

These problems are AGE rather than mileage related, so they will eventually occur even if you drive very little.

Summary:
The Prius can be a cost effective car for high-mileage drivers during the first 7yrs (or 10yrs with longer California warranty) of life.
However after the hybrid warranty expires the complexity of the car and limited market for special replacement parts makes it potentially far more expensive to keep than a conventional car.

If you're not a car person and a car is just an appliance for moving you from A to B, it's a great car. Reduced emissions will get climate change whining off the backs of people who actually do want to enjoy cars.

Underrated

>Gen-1
>It went about fifteen years without having to pay for any repairs

My 2001 Prius had bad wheel bearing that i fixed recently.

>Then my main (traction) battery failed and I had to pay $2200 for a new battery

I had the same problem in summer this year, but there was only one battery cell gone. I replaced it diy with a used cell in 2 hrs.
Ive been driven 8000 miles since then, runs perfect.

cheap nightclubs would have a higher drag coefficient

Your vehicle choice alerts me from far away that you're a shit driver, so I'll be more prepared when you do something stupid ahead of me.

The problem with "high mileage" for most people is that most people who drive a lot of miles put most of them in on the highway, where the fuel economy advantage of a hybrid is diminished significantly.

I'm not sure how it works out for the used market, but in general it seems like the fuel savings generally don't justify the cost of a new Prius, or even the additional expense compared to a regular economy car.

That said, the configuration really shines for things like cab/uber duty that are high mileage with a lot of stop-and-go and sitting in traffic, which is why Priuses are taking over those roles. Honestly I'm surprised Toyota hasn't rolled out a Prius delivery van.

>on the highway, where the fuel economy advantage of a hybrid is diminished significantly.

Hybrid works very well on the highway. It switches off the engine and regererates as soon as you go slightly downhill. My Prius has even better milage on the highway than in the city depending how fast I go.

>>Then my main (traction) battery failed and I had to pay $2200 for a new battery
>I had the same problem in summer this year, but there was only one battery cell gone. I replaced it diy with a used cell in 2 hrs.
>Ive been driven 8000 miles since then, runs perfect.

I wish I had more friends willing to help with projects like this. I'm in my 60s and my back has disc problems that make me somewhat useless at R&R a 150lb battery. I have a EE background and experience with HV RF equipment, but the logistics of getting the battery in and out of the car seemed difficult to overcome without hiring strangers to do the heavy lifting. So how did you pull the battery out? Did you just get like two strong guys and carry out one of the rear passenger doors, or did you improve an engine hoist and take it out the trunk?

My mom would think you are cool.

drag queens are over-rated.

t. a gay man

I find it kind of funny. Straight men tend to love drag queens more than gay men. Gay men are over it and have been for decades, while for straight men, they find it fascinating.

>I'm in my 60s
what are you doing here, gramps? you should be picking out a cemetery spot.

>I'm seeing more Panthers on the road than I did at any point in the mid to late 2000s.
what niggerville do you live in? i rarely see any panthers anymore even though a shit load of crown vics got liquidated by multiple local police departments.

Well it looks kinda boring which is almost refreshing in today's flood of tryhard angry face cars.

>Straight men tend to love drag queens more than gay men
Wtf. Those creep the hell out of me and IF I had to choose between those two evils I'd take a normal looking homo any day over a drag queen. Just fucking no.

See you here in 40 years and let's see if you're still laughing by then.

>I'm in my 60s

I need proof

You can also repair it while leaving the unit inside the car. Lift the short side of the unit (the one without the electronics and turn it 90° towards the seats.

Its not possible to remove a single battery cell to the side, youll have to dismount the cells up to the one next to the faulty cell.

Remember to wear rubber or leather gloves, the battery unit is able to deep-fry one twice.

There are actually tons of computer nerds who were using all those bulletin boards in the early 90's and were in their late 40s to mid 50's when they got on board on this site.

Over 60? In my Veeky Forums? It's more likely than you think.

No one has said this so far but Priuses are quiet, get good gas mileage and aren't super expensive used.

They've been good to my grandparents. At least until the battery failed at 110k

>prius
>it will easily go up to 120
>easily

>two evils
lol, no.

Actually both the drag queens and faggots are equally annoying.

No one is fascinated by either of them but themselves

>implying what i said isn't true

He's talking about mpg, idiot.

sure

He's not.