Anyone here ever do a radio install? I'm wondering if I should pay to have it done or do it myself. How difficult is it...

Anyone here ever do a radio install? I'm wondering if I should pay to have it done or do it myself. How difficult is it? Is it literally take out old put in new or is there more to it? I already took out the radio from my old car, planning to have it put into my other car I have. I'll have to take out the car radio

If I do look for a shop to do it for me what's a reasonable price to pay?

As far as I know all you have to do is get a conversion harness from your factory loom to the new radio

Oh nice of course because the system is rigged. Of course it's not a simple swap great now I have to pay somebody money to do this. Fuck this gay earth

Getting your old unit out will probably be the hardest part. You'll want to pick up a wiring harness for your car, and a box full of butt connectors. Then just match up the wire colors, strip a bit, connect, and put the new unit in. ezpz.

If you're putting amps in mounting them can be a cunt

that's not what OP is doing tho. he's just changing the head unit. he doesn't have to worry about amps or subs or new speakers.

its literally plug and play.
i did it on my mercedes and the hardest part was JAMMING THAT FUCKING NEW FUCKING SHITRADIO down the radio-hole. was a real pain in the ass.

Then what's all this bullshit about wrong harness I see everywhere?

Wire harness fucking phone

i dont know, my car is really old and my radio was new, but there was an adapter with the cario i bought so it was no big deal

Do yourself a favour and get a harness adapted for your car if you need one. Saves you all the effort.

How do I know if I need one?

you need:
>Wiring harness (sold by metra usually)
>Dashboard adapter (sold by metra usually)
>Antenna adapter (found anywhere)

steps:
>Connect the ends of the wiring harness and the new stereo's wiring harness
>Remove factory stereo
>Connect wiring harness to car wiring
>Connect antenna adapter to car antenna wire and the new stereo
>Push the refrigerator-sized harness out of the clearance for the stereo (feel free to break out parts of the inside of the dash if you have to because no one will see it anyway)
>Slide stereo in
>Put the dash adapter over it
ezpz as long as you get the regular wires and not some huge ass antenna adapter with 17 different ends like i did my first time.

Source: changed stereo 3 times in an e46

Forgot to mention that the wiring harness is ~$20, the adapter is ~$20, and the antenna adapter is ~$15

Basically the wiring in your car plugs into your stereo, if you dont want to cut and reconnect the wires to a new plug in the equivalent space of a toaster oven, you get a wiring harness.

Connect harness to new plug -> plug harness into car

costs about $20 but the time you saved: priceless

>aftermarket radio
Y tho?

who is this semen demon?

I installed a head unit and soldered in the adaptor wiring harness myself with literally zero experience in car stereos or soldering.

If you can watch and learn from a youtube video you can do anything.

Installation: Replacing a macbook battery/10
Good fit and finish if it's not meant to be there: Fuck it, impossible, slap a hoonigan sticker on and turn your trucker cap backwards/10

The jews.

It's super easy. Just look up a YouTube video. Color coded wires and all. Hard to mess up.

my regular cassettes sounds much lower than my aux cord cassette and the radio.
what could be causing this shit?
shoddy wiring? i mean it kinda came out of nowhere, i figure a bumpy road kinda threw it off.

Your car will have "OEM" wiring layout and the new "stereo" will have its own wiring. Therefore some pals made a business of selling conversion kits in the form of "Wiring harnesses". You buy one and 20 or so "connectors" and match them up.

Really the hardest part will be fitting the radio back in wherever you want it because it can be unexpectedly deep or clunky.

You're an idiot. Go online, google your car, what radio you are getting, and find a plug and play wiring harness. It's literally that easy.

So you have one of those cassettes you plug into your phone - and it louder than a normal cassette?

Both play though the tape head, so it must be your phone

>Anyone here ever do a radio install?

You have to know what you have in YOUR car first.

My car has the OEM radio on the digital LAN. So removing it means the touchscreen and its LAN functions are gone. No more adjusting car parameters such as lights, car alarm, headlights, how long beeps sound, door locks, etc. In my car, a 3rd party radio has to be installed as an ADDITION and not replacement of the OEM radio/touch screen.

>How difficult is it?
Depends on what you want in terms of looks, utility, and future customization. If you cannot get rid of your OEM radio because its touchscreen is part of your car's LAN and provides car customization features, then your new radio will be put somewhere. Many of the better aftermarket systems also have LAN of their own. Thus the head unit can be mounted under the rear dash. The front display mounted on your visor along with some inputs. And many control inputs on a remote control which can even be semi-egg shaped for fast "no look" controlling.

Modern car dashes are hellish to remove and re-install. It is a 2 person job because during the removal and re-alignment, the dash must be held up evenly to prevent warping or bending due to its weight. A few car models have instrument bezels that are "one use" only, so removal means they have to be replaced. So if you have a shop do it, be sure to check your bezels to verify they are properly re-installed and not glued on as an improper fix that won't be detected until after their warranty expires. ha ha

>>this mad
Maybe you should just pay someone so you don't stroke out doing it yourself.