Irish Republic and the IRA

Did the Ango-Irish treaty betray the cause of Irish Republicanism and the IRA? Is Michael Collins seen as a traitor in Ireland today? I am interested in the history of Ireland during the war of independence, was the treaty ultimately a good idea? Could Ireland be freed completely or was it impossible?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/empuf_aYWV8
youtube.com/watch?v=9TCN56ZUSD0
youtube.com/watch?v=A9MRbek0JXk
youtube.com/watch?v=OT0yoo9B2Bc
youtube.com/watch?v=TOJwHzLCD3U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The existence of Northern Ireland is a painful reminder of partition and the failure of the treaty. The IRA fought for the independence of all 32 counties of Ireland.

The Anglo-Irish treaty was signed because the IRA was running out of supplies and equipment and couldn't continue fighting. Unforunately the only way that the IRA could've won and got a united Ireland is if they had been able to get weapons and supplies from Germany through a Central Powers victory scenario (like in Kaiserreich).

>Did the Ango-Irish treaty betray the cause of Irish Republicanism and the IRA?
If you mean Unionists then well they overwhelmingly didn't support it to betray it so no.

>Is Michael Collins seen as a traitor in Ireland today?
No he's a national hero

>Was the treaty ultimately a good idea?
It resulted in the Republic for better or worse. Sure it was fine.

>Could Ireland be freed completely or was it impossible?
>Freed
kek.

All of Ireland could have been handed over to the Republic with it's formation sure but Democracy prevailed and the Unionists retained their own new country to live in safety as they wanted. Even if a good majority had to move there from their own parts of Ireland.

Was there a real threat of the British invading? If so was there any way the IRA could have defended Ireland? Wasn't that an excuse they used as a reason for signing the treaty? Would waiting longer and continuing the fight have been better, when looking at how India got full independence? Sorry i just rewatched "the wind that shakes the barley" and got really interested in the period again and want to know more from someone more informed. Also are the Provos seen as terrorists or freedom fighters by the average Irish people?

Britain couldn't invade British soil, no. If you mean after the formation of the Republic then I guess it's possible but why would they bother and no the IRA could not fight the British Army in all out war.

At their height the Irish Army had less than a dozen tanks and they were all old British ones.

The Provo's might as well be a completely different discussion and one that will be an utter shit show as always. Some see the IRA as freedom fighters practically everyone sees them as Terrorists. Fuck them. Fuck all the Paramilitaries they're just drug dealers now anyway.

That said I get my weed on the cheap from the UDA so No Surrender!!

>It resulted in the Republic for better or worse. Sure it was fine.

But was that Republic a continuation of the Republic of 1919 or not? And wasn't the Irish Free State a dominion of the British Empire, basically what it was before only with Irishmen ruling who had to swear allegiance to the crown.

>All of Ireland could have been handed over to the Republic with it's formation sure but Democracy prevailed and the Unionists retained their own new country to live in safety as they wanted. Even if a good majority had to move there from their own parts of Ireland.

t. Orangefag

kek, but wouldn't the Unionists live safely in the Republic as well? Isn't the orange in the Republican flag a representation of the Protestants? I guess you are right though, they wanted to stay and got their wish.

>If you mean after the formation of the Republic then I guess it's possible but why would they bother

Well from the movie the pro-treaty side argued that this was the best they were getting since the British threatened war, not that im taking it seriously i just wanted to know if there was ever a real reason to fear a British invasion IF they formed the Republic with N. Ireland. And if the British wouldn't bother, why did they bother with trying to keep Northern Ireland?

> That said I get my weed on the cheap from the UDA so No Surrender!!

Top kek, thanks for the laugh, the UDA still exists?

United Ireland when?

>but wouldn't the Unionists live safely in the Republic as well?
Not 100% sure to be fair but most of my family came North from Dublin and I assume had good reason to do so. Tensions were very high everywhere and it was an extremely violent time.

My great Aunt was actually in the GPO during the Easter Rising bless her and one of the few that didn't get executed so Orangefags were more common at the time than you might think. Dublin was very much a British city.

Never, until the people of Norn' Iron' vote to rejoin Ireland.
And seeing how they voted 98.9% to remain...

>did the anglo-irish
Michael Collins was basically the Irish Phillipe Pétain. He signed the Anglo-Irish Treaty and became a collaborator because he had no choice as the IRA was running out of supplies.
>is collins seen as a traitor today?
No, he's a national hero, but Petain would've been a French national hero too if the Axis had won. The winner writes history.
>was the treaty a good idea?
In 1921 the counties in Ulster that would become NI were the most prosperous region of Ireland. Today (after 30 years of constant internal warfare) it's economy is a complete basket case and it relies on funds from Westminster and the EU. That should say it all.
>could ireland be freed completely or was it impossible
Not without support from a major power such as Germany like suggested or a weakened British Empire.

>And if the British wouldn't bother, why did they bother with trying to keep Northern Ireland?
Because it was territory and useful territory at that they weren't overjoyed to be losing any of it. NI was excellent industrially at the turn of the 20th century and was a world leader in shipbuilding. Albeit ships the English would then go and fucking sick.

>the UDA still exists?
Oh aye. They're all roided out baldies posturing in bars. They're not so bad if you don't cross them. The IRA are still about as well.

2033 according to Star Trek but WW3 with the superhumans didn't kick off in the 1990s so really we don't no what to think.

There's alot of people very fond of the Republic so it's unlikely they'll give it up for a United Ireland any time soon.

Can't wait for the UK to leave the EU and watch NI's economy collapse completely.

Me too I voted out.

Northern Ireland was absolutely butchered by the Troubles driving industry away ON TOP of the Globalist outsourcing of the 70s and 80s.

My personal employment opportunities will be much better in a desperate third world economy. I guess I should move over the border already, eh? but I can't be dealing with those Euros.

>country is in a war between those who want to stay with britain and those who want to unite ireland
>referendum says 98.9% want to remain
Why do I find that very unlikely?

kek, how does one go about picking up a bag off the UDA or the IRA? Had a friend from antrim who alluded to buying his weed off the IRA but never full explained.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_sovereignty_referendum,_1973

Maybe because Referendums and how the Media portrays politics to the world seem not to quite line up in practice.

A United Ireland would be a financial disaster for the Republic and only bring back civil unrest in a now very peaceful Ulster.

Yeah, dat sweet nationalist boycott produced 98.9%. Jesus, did you even read the article you linked?

Asking a friend who calls his Dad whose already out drinking with his best mate who tells us were to meet them like the rest of the world.

sure but it was still over 70% in 1998 and over 85% in the reason polls I can't find a sauce for.

United Irelands a shite idea really. The only people who'd get any victory out of it are Old murderers and they can get bent.

>was there a real threat of the british invading
We'll never know, it could've been a bluff as the Anglo-Irish war wasn't popular at home and Britain was weary of war after WW1.
>are the provos seen as terrorists or freedom fighters by the average irish people?
In the south it's controversial, the Irish media takes on an Anglophilic stance which causes many to become pro-British, but there's a lot of nationalists as well, even though the pro-British types accuse every Irish nationalist of actually being Irish-Americans. Most NI Catholics see the Provos as freedom fighters and owe them thanks for forcing the British government to treat Catholics equally. Pretty much everyone dislikes the dissidents though.

People who want a good economy will also benefit from a United Ireland after the UK invokes Article 50 and NI's economy falls apart without EU funding.

Also:
>implying the Good Friday Agreement was a referendum if they want to remain or not
Nice try.

People who want a good economy emigrated from Ireland decades ago, friend.

Out of NI's six counties only Antrim and Down are even Protestant majority anymore.

>implying the UK won't replace most of the funding
wew
it would look pretty bad if your poor backwater became an even poorer backwater

Hope the British taxpayer enjoys even more of their tax money going into propping up a failed statelet then.

ah but the dominational divide isn't the indicator of National affinity it once was.

Many of my Catholic friends are keen Unionists True they may not be out on the 12th but they still have no interest in switching to Euros.

That and I have more than an inkling that my Protestant Dad is a horrendous Fenian when left to his own devices.

Economic unionists just follow the money, they'll switch sides after Article 50 is invoked and the EU funding stops. By the way, have you followed Ian Paisley Jr's advice and aquired a 'second passport' yet?

>Brexit
>Brexit
>Article 50
>Irish Passport
No i haven't actually I'll always be eligible for one so there's no rush and I don't want to be on record with all the lefties buying the project fear bullshit.

That's a fairly good example of how little the Catholic/Prod bullshit effects are politics now (as compared to how it was) practically the whole country including my area though not me personally were pro Remain.

If the UK actually leaves the EU instead of just waiting until people forget then we might actually see a united Ireland. I think all of NI voted remain.

That pic

>That and I have more than an inkling that my Protestant Dad is a horrendous Fenian when left to his own devices.

When i started this thread i didn't know i would have this many keks

>We'll never know, it could've been a bluff as the Anglo-Irish war wasn't popular at home and Britain was weary of war after WW1.

I personally think it was a bluff, no way in hell was anyone outside the UK going to support an Empire going to war against a small weak "republic" after Belgium.

>n the south it's controversial, the Irish media takes on an Anglophilic stance which causes many to become pro-British, but there's a lot of nationalists as well, even though the pro-British types accuse every Irish nationalist of actually being Irish-Americans. Most NI Catholics see the Provos as freedom fighters and owe them thanks for forcing the British government to treat Catholics equally. Pretty much everyone dislikes the dissidents though.

Ive met a few Brits, and some Irish, and honestly couldn't tell the difference apart from the accent, i met with two groups of Irish people, one were loud chavs and slags that were binge drinking and playing music every night, and the other group were a bunch of normal lads, we were all students on work and travel visas in the US, the second group were much friendlier, even came to our apartment for some beers, the second, nicer group were from some small village and the others were from a big city, probably Dublin, im assuming people in the country are less Anglophile than those in the city?

Obligatory
youtu.be/empuf_aYWV8

>sung by the wolfe tones
>this video is not available
KEK

Gotyerback lads. Here it is as nature intended. youtube.com/watch?v=bkmVugQr6no

Have to admit I only just learned the actual words this year. I've been singing 'It was worn at Derriachery' for years.

Aughrim... where the fuck is that?!

>Aughrim
funny thing is it was a more important battle than the Boyne, it never got the same reputation though because the Boyne had Jim and Billy squaring up face to face

That is interesting. It's also a bit of a dampener they're both in the Republic now.

I'll have to get read up on it all but there's nothing like state education to put you off a subject for life. Not that we ever learned anything as fun as battle in Irish history.

I know how that is. I studied this era a few years ago for A-level history and really didn't like it, then as soon as I was finished I begun to find it actually pretty interesting

>is michael Collins seen as a traitor
No, he did more than most, and more than anyone asked of him
>was the treaty ultimately a good idea
Imo it was probably the best we were going to get, we simply couldn't get the supplies needed to keep going, if we got them, we'd have won. It's a shame.
>are the provos seen as terrorists or freedom fighters
Both, most people accept that they killed civilians, not as much as you'd think but still they did, but they also accept that it was war and these things happen. I think most irish people have a soft spot for them atleast

>most Irish people have a soft spot for the Provos
You're an idiot that doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about

t. west brit
Not everyone in Ireland agrees with you, deal with it.
>inb4 'muh irish-amurricans'

t. Traitor

youtube.com/watch?v=9TCN56ZUSD0

Tiochaidh ar la

Up the provos

Kill all brits

No im not Irish deal with it

Where you from, friend?

just a few errors btw
>tiocfaidh ár lá
>Kill All Huns/Brits Out

Netherlands. Honestly I just really like Irish republican music

Kek same here, only im from Macedonia, and i see many similarities between Macedonia and Ireland, like centuries of foreign rule, republicanism, controversial heroes and traitors, the IRA splitting the same way the Macedonian Revolutionary Organization split and both being leftist leaning e.t.c.

youtube.com/watch?v=OT0yoo9B2Bc

My two favorites

youtube.com/watch?v=TOJwHzLCD3U

I personally prefer the other version by the Wolfe Tones desu

nice to see you lads having an interest in our culture
bail ó Dhoa agus Mhuire ort buachaillí

forgot the translation
>the blessing of God and Mary to you

>kek, but wouldn't the Unionists live safely in the Republic as well?
No, unionists in Cork for example were completely wiped out by the IRA. Their bodies being dug up in farms outside the city a few years ago.

Some of my family moved down south from east Belfast in the 20's, the story is that they didn't have much of a choice in the matter. It would be interesting to find out how much cross border migration there was in the years immediately after Partition.

>No, unionists in Cork for example were completely wiped out by the IRA. Their bodies being dug up in farms outside the city a few years ago.

but wouldnt a United Ireland make the need for that redundant?

Now it's already redundant. Then; no they'd have been killing them anyway. The violence in the North or certainly unrest would have been considerable as well.

>Did the Ango-Irish treaty betray the cause of Irish Republicanism and the IRA?
no.

>Is Michael Collins seen as a traitor in Ireland today?
No he is seen as a hero while Dev is seen as a traitor.

>was the treaty ultimately a good idea?
I would think so but there are others who disagree.

>Could Ireland be freed completely or was it impossible?
I believe it was impossible at the time the treaty was signed. The border is a joke but that is because of perfidy and not a failure on the part of the treaty signatories. The only failure was trusting the British on the boundary commission idea. Bear in mind the main opposition to the treaty was not over the border but rather the oath to the king and the dominion status, both of which were abolished soon afterwards. The understanding was that the border issue would be decided at a later date.

From a carthological point of view, Britain would look terrible with Scotland and without Northern Ireland.

Up the anti treaty IRA GAWN

>carthological
?