?

Monogame

>Enemies can't shoot unless they've been seen by the player
>Player can cheese enemies by avoiding looking at as many as possible
but
>once activated enemies will activate all nearby enemies

Hey, it is me again.

youtube.com/watch?v=046Peo76efA

Threadly reminder we offer soundtrack making services.

Since I was a agdg regular at one point as well, I know that you guys barely have any budgets, so I can give you a very good price for your requests.

We have a proper email set up now, [email protected]

Contact me there or here, I am here all day anyway.

> Stuck on problem literally for over 4 hours.
> Give up and take a two day break
> Come back and solve the problem in less than 20 minutes.

Why does this happen? Is it just a fresh perspective? Not being tired? I'm so fucking happy I fixed my problem but I feel kind of stupid that I couldn't fix it before.

Never have enemies that can shoot you off screen unless it is the player's job to keep track of the enemy and it has already been seen before (like Terraria's flying bosses. If you're getting hit from off screen it's because you let it get away from you)

2 for sure, you're framing it a bit odd but it's essentially that enemies you have aggro'd will shoot

unity actually has a built-in function to check if things are visible docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Renderer-isVisible.html

why is /3/ so shit?

you can limit player's bullets to the screen or not spawn the enemies until they are about to enter the screen or something
slow enemy bullets also help

>canus.wav

>Fake negative reviewers getting blown out.
store.steampowered.com/app/343150
Where were you when TRUTH and JUSTICE prevailed? Christmas sale was the best thing to ever happen to me, now I'm getting ALL of the positive reviews with NONE of the dramatic troll bullshit!

I highly recommend avoiding that function for this purpose. It does not work the way you probably thing it does.

see you in a week for advertisement

since canus.mp3 is shilling I guess I will too.
I can set up multiplayer matchmaking and p2p for you gamemaker game. pricing depends on scope.

Would I have to use this function also to kinda disable the level until it reachs the camera?

I could imagine it'd be quite performance heavy having a whole level off-screen the whole time.

>mfw I know an exploit that lets devs review their own games for free with an unverified account and will not be telling you

Not him but
>announcing reports
I'll see you in a week too.

See pic. You are flanked by enemies. You can cheese the AI by essentially only ever looking at one flank.

The solution is to allow enemies that you haven't seen to attack you. The problem is that the player can now get cheesed by an enemy they didn't see.

wobbly guided missiles (there's an almost invisible asteroid that they're trying to aim at)

Soon™

see you in a week too, kiddo

See you in a week as well, friendo.

she looks much better now
I'm hoping this is the last revision because I spent nearly a month reworking the face

autism

what anime/tutorial did you steal that face from?

Yeah, yeah! Definitely getting the hang of this.

Fucking eulers and quaternions.

art is the expensive part of your game. people are giving you solutions and you are throwing a tantrum.
there is no way to get good art for free/cheap its just how it is.
it takes a while to make sprite sheets and UI and while i respect both programmers and sound guys the amount of work they have to put into their project is not compareable to what an artist does for a game. you can make music with ease nowdays without being a pro, same with programming.
art is long and hard repetition and mastery of concepts. you can't churn good art in weeks like you do with sound

Just accept that there's no perfect solution unless you decide to make a game that's entirely close quarters combat.

You can have groups of enemies chain pull, you can have subgroups within groups that chain pull, you can prevent enemies from being allowed to shoot the player if they aren't on screen, you can do all sorts of things.

Are you the milsim topdown shooter guy?

Without memeing you, that's a nice Crimsonland clone.

I actually got it during the last sale at 99 cents. It's not as bad as /agdg/ makes it out to be. It's a perfectly decent metroidvania with good music. A lot of the hate stemmed from when there were some trolls in /agdg/ that were just harassing and bullying anyone in here, and they were jealous that someone had actually not only gotten their game on steam but also was quite successful with it. When it comes to haters, don't believe the lies.

It's been a while since I had so much fun deving something.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Space Carrier Ops
Dev: user
Tools: Unity, 3DS Max, Photoshop
Web: N/A
Holidays: snowman
Progress:
+ Total rewrite of how targeting is handled
+ Targeting now expandable and can be used by any ship and extended with radar components
+ Wrote simple range based radar component for ships
+ Added turrets (missile and gun) and wrote simple automated targeting and firing AI for them
+ Dynamic ally indications on HUD using previously unused faction properties
+ Added pure pursuit option to missile guidance

fishing lvls?

>it's like undertale but even lazier

>50 cents
instant buy. looks good too. i remember u from earlier /agdg/ threads uve been a long time lurker havent u

Thanks! That is what I am trying to make.

I have a few things in my mind additions to what Crimsonland has. But the biggest diference is game will be an open source and free. Gameplay code is lua, so hopefully anyone will be able to mod it just using notepad (add new weapons, monsters, game mods etc).

I will also implement a way to download/share mods. Who knows, maybe it will be a thing.

it's textures and it's mostly blocky shaped (like the nose and mouth are both a single block pushed forward)

I don't know if there's a tutorial for making animu 3D but you can look at anime models and study from them.

Any recommended books for game development or programming?

>the amount of work they have to put into their project is not compareable to what an artist does for a game.
Bullshit.

You can make a game with just code, but you can't make a game with just art.

too slow, needs dynamic. I would made bullets faster, enemies die quicker.

Huh, interesting. What do you exactly store in Lua, and what job do you let the core system have?

I often find this way appealing, but I can not find the proper way to decide how to separate tasks between the two. Aside from that, I just simply find the syntax of putting and getting variables to the stack disgusting, which makes me question if I'm even using it right or not.

I wish I could see what I was looking at, because I love things like this. I haven't seen this project before, what are you making?

In Unity, do enemies which are placed off-screen start their attack patterns only when being visible, by default?

I remember in GameMaker, they actually did this by default. Or do I have to do this with code in Unity?

yes you can.
you have logic bricks which is like snippets of codes attached together with only the comments visible.

you probably won't be able to make anything procedural or make your own systems but its good enough for hobbyists

Switching constantly between feeling like a genius and feeling like an idiot is a staple of programming.
You'll be surprised how quickly this transition can take.

Started player movement and driving

Theyre both a horrible mess :D

youtube.com/watch?v=GRiBwpTQBCE&feature=youtu.be

Itano Circus is the best thing ever.

If I am focused on learning C++ with an interest in eventually making games, which is best?

>Unreal
>C++ & (SFML/SDL)
>C++ first, games later

C/C++ is for the job I will be taking in a few months. I have a handle on the basics, really need to get better.

C++ first, games later.

I'd recommend actually studying games too.
Most people who can programm games, actually have no idea about games, since they never play them.

if you actually need to rely on it in your job, you will want to focus on it first instead of doing whatever the fuck

it's some sorta space flight sim.... i deliberately hid most of what i'm working on

It helped me to expand my C++ knowledge with SDL2 games, so if you have a basic idea of the syntax and the mindset, methodology, I would say give it a try.

>space flight sim
Well you've already got my attention with those missiles. I look forward to your progress user.

Well, to be honest it's going to be a paid internship. Test engineer, so lot on the list. C/C++, electrical diagrams, writing testing instructions. Only one I'm not 100% comfortable with is C/C++.

If it's an internship, I should be learning, so I hope that my job won't depend on my knowledge walking in the door.

On the other hand, would be nice to end up with the job. Knowing would probably help.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of haxe?
what is it how does it work
which languages do you need to work with it
is it mostly code orientented?

>learned c++ by mself when i was in mid school
>do mostly java in college
>get internship at company
>its actually not an internship but a real job
>we expect you to write this program for us during your time here (in c++)
>program will later be used by company
Was nervous af when i started but it all worked out perfectly in the end.
>work for the same company again later
>they still use my program from before
feels good

>turnaround of the century
>3 positive reviews
>still mostly negative

it's a great feel to have a "legacy" like that

I seriously hope your definition of intership is not standing behind person and watching all day

How much longer do I have to put in a recap?

Don't most internships either do that or have you do some other menial work?
t. burger

How do you dare ripping graphics from other games? Enjoy getting sued by Nintendo and Adobe too since you probably used pirated Photshop

In America it usually means 'unpaid worker'.

Why would anyone work for free? Is that really a thing in amerca? You pay a shit ton for college and then you work for free

I try to keep core system as basic as possible. It does the heavy load and triggers necessary callback functions on lua side. C++ side has a Monster class but it is same class for all different types of monsters. How a monster acts and looks is decided by its script (and json data).

For example check those 3 guns. laser pistol, shot gun and rocket launcher

pastebin.com/LWkbwbms

Each gun has init and tick callbacks. Laser gun simply adds a bullet when the gun is trigerred and gun is ready. Shotgun adds 6 bullets unlike laser gun and adds a trail particle to it.

Rocket launcher is more complex then other two. It also has a onHit and onTick callback for its bullets. rocket launcher bullets changes their speed on its tick and creates an explosion on onHit.

Where I live an internship is just normal working basically. I was writing code on my first day.

Yup. Because you don't have the 'necessary experience'. Welcome to Capitalism son!

5 hours.

Alright, been doing Java and C++ for a couple of years and now im trying to learn the workflow of Unity and C#.

I have an object that you're supposed to be able to move one tile after clicking on the player and clicking on an adjacent tile but i can't get the second Raycast to work...

What the fuck am i doing wrong?

[code]
public class PlayerMovement : MonoBehaviour {

void Update () {
if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown (0)) {
Ray raySelected = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay (Input.mousePosition);
RaycastHit hit;

if(Physics.Raycast(raySelected, out hit)){
if(hit.transform.GetComponent()){
Debug.Log ("pressed player");
move ();

}

}
}
}

void move(){

Ray rayAction = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay (Input.mousePosition);
RaycastHit hitAction;

if (Physics.Raycast (rayAction, out hitAction)) {

if (hitAction.transform.GetComponent()) {
Debug.Log ("ground");
Vector3 currentVector = transform.position;
Debug.Log (currentVector);

}
}

}

[/code]

The code never hits the Debug.Log("ground") part

Where I live it completely depends on the job itself. If you are an intern in the public administration (so teacher, librarian etc.) you get jack shit. Sometimes even small businesses will pay you nothing, like law offices (in even more disgusting cases it is them who make you pay so you can work for them, I'm not kidding). However big companies usually pay you for your work, but the payment varies between $1,5 and $3 per hour.

Usually the guy prompts us and tells us how long he'll be accepting entries (typically 36 hours from whenever he posts). I haven't seen him post at all since last Monday. But 6:00 PM Veeky Forums time is a good bet for the earliest cutoff.

Taken even further, there's paying for internship. That actually exists.

>which is like snippets of code
>AKA something other than art

I know someone said it looks like a bug but the letters get placed randomly each time within the alignment.

Big companies are all about getting the most work out of the smallest investment. Of course they'd want people to work for free. Usually the law stops them from actually demanding it, but in the case of interns, there are fewer regulations and more of a power imbalance. People without industry experience have a very hard time getting hired at these companies, so they bite the bullet and take the deal to get some experience.

Thanks for the explanation! Will you share it on Github then?

Right now all of this is executed in the same frame... You should be able to figure out the rest

yeah, as soon as I release the first demo.

put in a breakpoint inside the input check and then step through until something happens that you dont expect, such as the second raycast which is the exact same as the first also returning the same result which will be the player instead of the ground you had expected

>that twitching O
disgusting

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Throbot
Dev: scarfdev
Tools: gm:s
Web: scarfdev.tumblr.com/
Holidays: Santa Hat
Progress:
- i've been sick and it's shitty
+ working on tiles and enemies for forest level
+ actual gameplay/control stuff is practically done so everything i make from now on should be level specific stuff and eventually menu stuff
+ art is progress right?

yeah, i figured that out a minute after posting the code :/ fuck

I heard a certain someone has died

if someone is telling you it looks like a bug that means it looks bad. Just because you intended it to do that doesn't stop it from looking jarring and unintended to the people seeing it.

The multi color letters slowly having a seizure on their way to the middle of the screen looks really bad, especial for some sort of fail state.

It's illegal as fuck in most of Europe, the US just isn't all that worried about it. Because fuck the younger workers.

If I have
>character stats
>character equipment
>character weapon
all in separate scripts, where should the Attack functions be, considering the attack values depend on the stats of character, equipment and weapon?

New feature: getting treated at hospital won't just remove all injuries cards (which are permanent penalties that get worse with time, generally speaking) but instead get changed into TREATMENT cards, with random effects. WIP, gotta fix the wording on all cards.

I think the multi-coloring looks fine many nintendo games which is what hes going for have had gameover states like that.

Man your game is getting more complex by the day, I will never be able to play it. I already have no idea how it works.

the problem isn't the lettering, it's the fucking stuttering seizures those letters have

Interships are normal in every schoolform for a few weeks. University students have paid interships when they work for 6 months

Just because someone popular does something doesn't mean it's good.

Only the autistic fags in agdg will notice anything glitchy and deem it bad. Every normie or even regular gamer that plays your game won't.

How did you do the outline? I know the default Unity one sucks.

>normal people are incapable of identifying things violently shaking without context
>i, being an autistic fag in agdg, can assure you anyone unlike us will be incapable of seeing it

good logic there, self esteem-team