/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, enter Control+Q when you're done so the game is saved for others.

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19393
github.com/elliptic/elliposchengband/tree/5.0.0.
github.com/floatRand/pseudoposchengbandR_release.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for roguelite op pic

So we're in the ironic shitposting op phase of the general, I see.

Always follows unrelated anime shit op.

Second for digging implements.

the general is always in a shitposting phase user

Only 2 floors until I complete my very first 15 rune game.

Tomb was intimidating was as fuck when I entered it before doing Pan and Hells, but now it's nothing that I can't deal with.

this character's going to splat so hard.

>Purple Draconian
>Wizard, but only because I want all that INT and free utility spells while I punch things
>Dragon Form book in lair:6
>MR ring, purple draconian MR, and clarity mutation makes places like shoals and Elf easy easy
>UC, Fighting, and Transmute makes dragonform ready after Vault:1
>with 1 rank robust mutation have like 380 hp in dragonform
>Clear vault:5
>want a spell to cast in dragon form to deal ranged damage, choose airstrike
>feel strong as hell, but food cost and resting a lot is annoying
>ditch okawaru who literally can't gift me anything useful for kiku, vague ideas of free food and necromutation
>Realize I have big regeneration in Dragon Form, get regenerate and it all stacks for 2-3 health recovery per turn
>look at more necro utility spells Cigotuvi's Embrace, Dispel Undead, and sublimination of blood
>keep pumping necromancy and some air magic
>just a cycle of never-resting purple lichdragon maintaining Dragon Form and Regeneration with huge HP and turning tiny fractions of health into massive magic recovery and air strike/dispelling foes until they get close enough to maul!!!! in melee range, utilizing the bodies of the dead for stacking larger and larger AC and SH bonuses
>AA spamming Kiku for even more bodies for even more AC and SH
>enter pandemonium after the 5 easy runes
>I only know what to do here in theory
>Get demonic rune like right away without trying
>just over 500 hp in dragon form (hp +20% mut)
>Eventually, Cerebrov, Lom Lobon, and Mnoleg all dead. feeling super good
>new randart rings/amulet after a while
>somewhere, somehow I've got everything on the entire level running after me
>Getting blasted by draining and lost massive amount of health in a single turn
>drained so much I can't even cast my spells reliably- in my randart greed I stopped wearing my rN++
>Panic blink scroll, tele, go further down
>executioner's absolutely everywhere, oh god no no no
>Gloorx Vloq
>murdered by a thousand hasted executioners

rip my best

I really need to read the help files more.

Thanks. That was driving me crazy.

Clearing out Tomb is going to give me an ulcer, too much stress senpai.

I can already smell victory

Look, everyone.
He memed.
Oh what a funny meme.
Simply epic.

>not liking memes

/rlg/ hates fun

that's why we play roguelikes in the first place

Monthly reminder that the upcoming blockbuster roguelike Incursion already thought of this and have size mods, example being my summoned elephant here which I think is modded to the D&D size colossal:

>elephant
>6 tiles wide

that's clearly an oliphant

possibly a dire oliphant

What should I do with these books?

Seem like good vendor fodder, though they clutter up the inventory...

Speed weapons are better the more slaying you have, right? Will a +5 longbow of speed outdamage a +10 longbow of freezing if I have +5 slaying?

Speed is one of the strongest brands in the game, only beat out by Holy Wrath which is much more situational of course.

Use the longbow of speed.

Is cataclysm DDA better with wander spawns on or off

He is just the result of some very good breeding and some magical motivation - it is however quite cute that D&D has a simplified interpretation of monster size so that you dont have the entire strict 1 tile = 1 rat = 1 ancient elder wyrm progression

On.

So the 5 difference in enchantment doesn't matter that much?

>drained so much I can't even cast my spells reliably- in my randart greed I stopped wearing my rN++

Drink potion of brilliance and wear ring of wizardry to counter that drain.

it matters a little bit, but enchantment isn't as big of a deal as most players think

the base damage of a weapon is multiplied by bonuses from stats and skills while the enchantment isn't, so enchantment is a smaller proportion of your damage than most people think

>>somewhere, somehow I've got everything on the entire level running after me

Literally the one important sentence in your entire post, and it tells us nothing.

Fault.

FAULT!

>vampire enchanter of dith
>pick up a +1 short sword of speed off a kobold on D5

Could a short sword of speed be a good weapon? Base damage seems poor but it would be pretty fast at min delay, right?

>barely keep a general alive
>implying there's enough interest to sustain
A fucking discord.
An entire board.
Multiple irc's.

Fucking kill yourselves.

advertising the other chan will get you a ban on Veeky Forums

lmao i looked at the roguelike board there
>0 active users
>last post nov. 16th
that place has 0 userbase, i thought its only point was posting pedo/gamergate shit

>tfw weeping wine mushroom 3 blocks away from joppa

Offhand, there's more than 50000 drams up there, and more every time I go back.
Each waterskin sells for 109$.

Yeah, min delay with the speed brand would make its delay 0.3 in some cases, which is fast as fuck.

its ok but not amazing unless you have something that synergizes strongly with high attackspeed such as a big pile of +slaying or the Vine Stalker's bite

attacking 3 times instead of 2 is great but if you have shortsword damage against an enemy with ok AC you will just be doing 3x 0 damage

hey at least you didn't fail the alchemy test

First ever 15-rune win, fuck me that was a wild ride.

Most intense run I've ever had, It was so much more fun(and stressful) than a 3-runer.

congrats! It was fun following your adventures

grats wyrmbane user

how to get the most gold per item efficiency in poscheng? My top shopkeepers limit up to 30000 and i want more

black marketeer human/demigods and burglary rogues can sell to black markets at fair prices, and those have high caps

ideally you pick up the Alchemy mutation (or spell if you're the right kind of caster I guess) so you can melt items down for gold right in the dungeon

also if you're building it yourself you could just change the shop caps

you can't get more

there's an alchemy spell in the sorcery books but even THAT caps at 30k gold

Alchemy gives less gold than selling things, I think.

Or at least the item activation form does.

well currently it's stored as a signed 16bit integer so it can't go above 32000ish

you'd have to change that

yeah but it's definitely the most quality of life way to gain gold overall, which is why I mentioned it

Can someone help me with my Elona gamepad problem from the previous thread? I can't use any of the diagonal options of movement on my 360 controller. Is there a way to fix this?

My laptop lacks a numpad and this seems like a way easier option.

Let It Die is my favorite roguelike.

Actually IIRC, the cap is stored invidually as a s16b int, but shops/money operate on s32b.
It's possible to make a get-function for cap and add desired amount ( ex. I altered merchant's friend mut to give 10k extra for all shops, plus halve the shuffle/hold service prices ).

what software are you using for the 360 controller? it sounds like the fuckup is with that if you can't enter diagonals at all...

Technically it's a 3rd party plug and play and I'm using the standard Elona settings. Is there a better way to do things? The diagonals work in every other game. I just need diagonals for movement and that quick menu. Really makes the game flow nicely

The 3rd time I've ever reached max level... yay

You need some rF.

Agreed, only source I have so far is one generic ring of rF

I've died to a hydra 3 times today.

as i said: fuck around with the software or the driver settings or whatever for your controller

me too thanks

>The 11-headed hydra breathes plasma.
>You are heavily stunned.
>The 11-headed hydra breathes plasma.
>You have been knocked out!

Is piercing a good brand or should I try rebranding?

+9 on a demon trident with riposte makes pierce nice.

>the sleeping ogre is unable to defend itself.
>you dice the ogre like an onion!!!

Tried it. Turns out it uses the default XBOX 360 drivers. Any recommended 3rd party software to use for Elona?

*uses wand of heal wounds on thread*

wew. good thing we'll always have these, eh?

lol

>survive for 2 years despite a lot of close calls with hulks and shit
>amass a hoard
>everything going well
>back at base, midwinter
>dealing with inventory

>HOLY SHIT MY HEAD HURTS
>turn on thermal outfit
>ouch. head still hurts. -35c
>tired anyway decide to go to bed
>casually make my way to bed in basement

>step foot onto the mattress
>ouch, your head hurts
>FORGOTTEN AMONG THE BILLIONS LOST IN THE CATACLYSM

Are you fucking kidding me with this horse shit? Never use that , command to send everything from one pile to another. You'll fucking die to frostbite and I'm pretty sure you do it faster with M anyway.

Still that was a fucking stupid rip.

>I'm pretty sure you do it faster with M anyway.
You do.

I once survived a fight with very low torso health and dropped dead of being cold afterwards, was very strange.

Just alt f4 when you die and load your save again

>scumming

You're playing offline anyway, it's not like it's any different.

can't you just magically patch up that frostbite damage by rubbing a bag full of cotton balls on your head?

>tfw tonberry bloodknight
>tfw +4.00 blows and +40 AC when at 60% hp
>tfw 2shotting the minotaur of the labyrinth

Not that user, but in the same spirit.

I'm having fun the best way I can with these offline toys, and you can't stop me.

*sees you raising your hands* A once (1) in a lifetime opportunity! I will pinch that hidden tummy! IKUZO

What does Ursteel look like?

It's only ever described as 'brilliant' and 'glinting'.

yeah TbBk feels awesome

like capri sun commercials from the 90s probably

>dragons in PCB
>literally the worst monster race outside of ultragimmicks like possessors and elementals
>awful slots
>awful ranged options
>awful level-based damage
>awful base stats
>no fucking AC because lol rings
>no bonus speed, unlike hounds or fucking jellies
>no stealth allowed unless you want to swap out your resistance cloak/amulet
>250%+ (TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY PLUS) EXP PENALTY

It's just ridiculous.

pretty sure chris' designing of the dragon monster race went something like this:
>1) I want a challenge because I'm too good at my own game
>2) What if you could wear all the rings of power at once """"eventually""""

related: angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=19393

Does someone have a list of all the PCB variants and their various pros and cons? I mostly just want the quality-of-life updates.

elliposchengband has elliptic's and mpa's quality of life changes, the code is available at github.com/elliptic/elliposchengband/tree/5.0.0.

pseudoelliposchengbandR has it all. Its changes beyond elliposchengband is more focused on adding additional content (some neat stuff). The only real downside is that it is a pain in the ass to build on any setup that's not identical with the creator's because he broke a bunch of stuff. Fortunately, if you're on windows, the already-compiled .exe can be had at github.com/floatRand/pseudoposchengbandR_release.

I wish I had the chops to fix some of the stuff he broke so I could get it to work in cygwin so I could termcast it and use the font I like, but alas...

>possessors
>bad

I mean they do cap out at 4 blows (obviously not including +atk items)
but they are super cool

>literally the worst monster race outside of ultragimmicks like possessors and elementals
They're probably near the strongest of the non-humanoid ones, actually. Which isn't really saying much when you're compared to crap like centipedes, hounds, and hydras.

>awful base stats
If you pick the good dragons (the elemental ones), you get more and more stats every time you evolve, and eventually speed.

>no fucking AC because lol rings
Armor realm, literally the best one.

I don't think they're really that terrible, there are just a lot of bad choices you can make at character creation (anything besides an elemental or passwall one, most realms).

mpa-pcb: all QoL changes, not updated very recently
ellipcb: elliptic's continuation of mpa-pcb
pseudoellipcb: even more QoL shit added on top of all ellipcb's stuff
pcb-r: mostly content changes like new races/classes/items/uniques, but also some balance changes like significantly faster level gain
pseudoposchengbandR: pcb-r with the QoL changes from pseudoelliposchengband merged in

Thanks for going the extra mile, I was just hoping for a link to a pastebin or something. Have a happy new year!

also apparently amy's working on some stuff too? that might be pretty fun. Her design aesthetic (everything plus the nethack sink) may make for a beautiful and socially liberal marriage

is there a reason to pick any dragon other than fire/ice for notterriblestats or the wall-walking ones for maximum meme status?
i guess if you want to do crusade/death realm you need specific colors...

well the main reason would be character flavor for fun, even at the cost of in-game suffering

I've never tried crystal drake, but the Serpent notably doesn't resist shards, so perhaps there's something to a crystal breath realm eventually? Probably isn't exactly overwhelming, but it's an idea.

Gold might be decent with breath realm, I guess, since very little resists it.

Hounds are great compared to dragons. Excellent slots which include body armor, cheap and easy breath, speed, fast as shit levelups. I imagine centipedes are much the same, and there are 10,000,000 great randart boots. Meanwhile anything but a steel dragon is going to get slammed in melee 95% of the time because they can't get AC, there are no decent rings before DL85, and we both know armor realm is a boring and uninteresting buffmeister. Bad design! Bad!

But yes, hydras are just dragons with zany slots.

Shit.
Went to a historical site,
got the the bottom,
never found the relic.

now what?

waht gaem

CoQ

>cursed randarts with -speed
has there ever been a single one of these that was actually usable

What's a nice combo to win with after succeeding with MiBe?

yeah, in the very lategame one often (not always) ends up with more speed than is useful, because of the diminishing returns. +stat, high damage dice and enchantment, +device skill, +device power, and +attacks might be contenders depending on your lategame equipment options.

but it takes a long time to get to the point where you have excess speed

MiFi or TrBe or KoBe

I've used boots of the golem once, I think.

This is my favorite speed related silliness.

yeah but you still then need to find an item that's actually good enough to be worth the -speed compared to just swapping out your speedring or dropping ringil for a higher-damage weapon or whatever

there are some standarts that can be worth it like those -1speed +10 slaying boots or Winblows for maulers