Does anyone else hate all the electronic shit in new cars...

Does anyone else hate all the electronic shit in new cars? There's something really distracting and irritating about the speedometer being a big digital display in front of the wheel, or odometer/gas meter/etc glowing. I wish they would just not do this shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mkJ3--2K7yo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>mfw my 2015 is like this.
Honestly I like the glow especially at night.

When I have bitches in the car I get compliments galore.

>user it feels like I'm in a space ship!
>wow I love everything around the dashboard it's so fancy
>this car is so nice

I chuckle because it's a civic.

>tfw girls don't know what powersteering is and won't think you're cool for not having it
>tfw girls will only care about how new your car looks even if it's a literal grocery box

>There's something really distracting and irritating about the speedometer being a big digital display in front of the wheel, or odometer/gas meter/etc glowing.
I quite like it when it's the old style digital dashboard, with dedicated lights and 8-segment displays taking the place of standard analog gauges.

The new iPad-in-dashboard shit can fuck right off, though.

It fulfills my dream of piloting the USS Voyager down the highway.

And it allows for less dedicated buttons splashed about the dash. Cleans things up a bit to offer more elegant interior design.

My friend drives a 2015 Civic and he doesn't use the turn signals when turning/switching lanes to the right. The blindspot camera display on the centre console is blindingly bright, especially at night when the car behind you has its lights pointed directly towards it.

I'm guessing that is a new E Class? Imagine when it will be 15 years and all that electronic wizardry starts breaking. Considering even the cheapest mobile phone has a GPS there isn't a need for them in cars anymore.

In my opinion cars reached their technological sweet spot by the late 90's. They had everything needed for reliable, comfortable, and safe motoring. Everything since then has been overkill and innovation simply for the sake of change.

Having seen that the biggest issues plaguing my 22 year old daily driver are electrical systems like the ABS and airbag failing I am tempted to look for something from the 70's as my next ride.

Why would he care about the problems the 4th owner gets?

Too bad knobs are the pinnacle of usability design.

Give me knobs for heating/cooling, volume, and radio please.

It's a shit show but I mean it works on people with the minds of 5 yr olds (90%)

I have a 2013 accord. No blindspot camera on mine, but I am able to turn down the brightness of the screen.

The screen also has three options: day, night and off. The day and night options each have their own brightness setting. So when im driving to work in the morning, it switches from day to night becuase its not to bright outside. Pretty annoying

More electronics = more things to go wrong in the future.

I don't understand why people insist on dumping all these electronics in their cars. This shit breaks down over time, and a lot of the new "safety" features just makes people less aware of their surroundings. I have seen people rely on the backup camera exclusively when driving, as well as relying on that stupid "accident avoidance" meme sensor so they don't have to be as attentive.

If anything, we should have LESS safety bullshit and electronic aids.

>tfw Volvo 240
>Tfw no face

Do you have the big clock or the little clock?

>red interior

MAKE IT STOP

This.
Three knob two button climate control is the ultimate.
Also a full 360 rotating vent selection knob is key Having a bunch of presets is trash.

> I can't afford a car new enough to have an electronic dashboard
> But I'm going to say it's because I don't like them
> Not that I'm poor
> IM NOT POOR GAIZ ITS AN A E S T H E T I C CHOICE.
FTFY.

I hate the large center console that acts like a fucking ipad, with built in apps to leave yelp reviews, I can get if it showed functions for the car and detailed information about the car like how many miles I have in my tank, oil pressure and temp readings, active AWD control, etc.

>user it feels like I'm in a space ship!

I've heard this too much

this
literally fuck digital/push-button interfaces
give me a knob or a slider

lold

This.

my grand marquis has that digital dash, i love it to death

the only thing that scares me is that i don't know what to do once it stop working

Idiots won't stop driving even if you give them all 5 speed no frills shitboxes. If collision avoidance tech keeps me from getting hit by some smartphone addicted idiot I am fine with it. Self driving cars are inevitable. They won't have their hands on the wheel in a few years.

All I want is a barebones, no A/C no power anything 5 speed shitbox that does well in modern crash tests. I love my base model Aveo. It might be the worst car sold in the US in the 21st century, but I love mine for the simplicity. Only the engine and transmission can go bad on it. It is easy to work on without all the A/C lines clogging the engine bay. I will shed a tear when it bites the dust. Kids today will never get to enjoy the simplicity that is a car with 4 wheels, 5 doors, 5 speeds and nothing else.

I love electronic gadgets in cars. I want power everything.

Congratulations

>All I want is a barebones, no A/C no power anything 5 speed shitbox that does well in modern crash tests

Yeah me too. However I want something that's actually fun to drive too. An MG B fits the bill perfectly. Simple carbed engine, manual gear box, rear wheel drive, easy to work on.

Thank you.

Source?

I thought accidents were at an all time low.

>However I want something that's actually fun to drive too

No ABS in the snow makes things fun. By fun I mean moments of sheer terror followed by laughter at how you almost died 5 times on your commute.

Yep. It's why I drive a Jeep Wrangler, stripped down. I have no touchscreen shit. No power windows, no heated seats, no power locks. I have to ..*gasp* use a physical key to get inside. No remote start, I think the must "current" thing in the dashboard is the CD player.

Not that user, but, just read something recently that accidents are actually up. While these new safety features actually do help prevent a lot of accidents, they aren't offsetting people on their phones and being distracted which is at an all time high.

When I was a kid and you saw someone weaving lanes, you called the cops and reported them as obviously drunk. Now we just go "oh it's just someone on their mobile phone"

Swap it out. Mine burned out on the previous owner, he swapped it for a working unit so the odometer is about 40k miles higher than the car actually has.

Because who gives a shit how many miles a Panther has anyway?

>I drive cheap shit
>I had to change cheap shit parts
>lolxpanther legend!

I drive cheap shit, the previous owner changed cheap shit parts.

>legend
man, I get you hate barges because you were conceived in the back of a Crown Vic, but that's the way they are, it either runs or it doesn't and the mileage is just "how long until I change my oil" and "has my intake manifold cracked yet if my car is pre-03"

There are tons of 80's and onwards cars I'd love to own that have digital dashboards and I know damn well it's only a matter of time until it stops working in every one of them.

neat

>can't modulate brake pedal
Casuals

I can out-oldskool your wrangler with my 2014 wrangler:
-Everything you said.
-Manual trans.
-ABS / TCS / ESP disabled.

I'm a fucking software engineer, I love computing tech. Just keep it out of my vehicles unless it makes the engine more powerful or efficient. I don't want to be distracted from the road - and I *really* don't want other drivers to be distracted.

>Pic: I got 28.8mpg over a 50-some-mile route with 45 to 55 mph speed limits.

I love gizmos and gadgets in cars. One day I'm gonna marry electronic gizmos.

What's the greenline mean? Optimal fuel efficiency revs?

I agree too, software engineer as well. Love driving simple fucking cars. Manual trans, no abs, manual locks/windows, no screens anywhere. I get 35mpg if I keep my foot out of it, but I don't do that because it's fun to go fast.

Where does the "electronics are unreliable" meme come from?
Most electronics are incredibly reliable, why do they lose that reputation as soon as they're placed in cars?

Most electronics sit in a climate controlled area (your house) away from the elements their whole lives. Car electronics have it pretty rough all things considered. Also, manufacturers cut costs like motherfuckers to keep prices down, so the quality of the shit you get in car isn't what you can choose to get with other stuff like computer parts for instance. Additionally, there's a backlash a bit when manufacturers make some overly complex (and expensive to replace) electronic system to replace an extremely simple mechanical one that's worked since cars were invented.

For instance, throttle assembly. My dad's Malibu's undriveable atm until he can get a new assembly (fucking $150) because of fly by wire shit like that. Sensors, modules, etc all to replace a steel cable.

What the hell... This is the '16 Jeep guy that you quoted... What's TCS and ESP? Right now I"m getting 15.1 MPG and I'm fucking pissed. How are you getting such high MPG??

That's about what my wife's Wrangler gets, and she has a '16 JKU.

Hell my 5.8 GT500 gets 19mpg.

I love the Jeep, but damn that thing is as aerodynamic as a brick. Friggin minivan engine in it and it still can't break 20mpg

Kek my 9th gen si gets the spaceship comment every time

I once worked quality engineering in a plant that made ABS/TCS/ESP units. They are just various systems built into the same brake modulator and require various wheel sensors. The following explanations are not quite right, but convey the point.

TCS = Traction Control. If wheel spin is detected and a rotational speed gap is seen between left and right wheel speeds it applies the brakes to the faster one. It could help in tricky scenarios but is mostly just a buzzkill when you're trying to slip the tires in the wet. This, unlike ABS and ESP, can be turned off by a switch in the cabin.

ESP = Electronic Stability Control. Basically more complicated TCS. If you are cornering too quickly (or breaking traction) it applies the brakes on certain wheels to slow you down mid-corner. This is a major buzzkill - if you start powersliding it hits the brakes mid-slide and throws you off balance.

I generally get 21mpg mixed (18.5 highway), but yes I can get over 25 if I'm trying really hard and speeds are under 60 mph. I have never seen anything under about 17.8 mph.
>6-speed manual life.

D: how do you turn that crap off?? I've only had my Jeep since Sept. Is it in the User Manual?

>truck doesnt have any screens of any kind
>interior lighting is a dull orange glow
>comfy on eyes

>dads newer Civic has screens
>entire dash, center consoles are bright as fuck
>eyes need time to adjust

Why

>MAKE IT STOP

What is wrong with a red interior?

It's definitely not in the manual. It was federally mandated in the US that all cars MY2012+ must have ABS/TCS/ESP. Going into 4LO turns it off while you're in it, but for the other 99.999% of your driving you have to pull a fuse - specifically the 40-amp fuse labeled "J6" in the fuse box under your hood. Seen in pic related.

Please note that since they are built into the same hydraulic unit, disabling TCS/ESP by pulling the fuse also disables ABS and puts 2 warning lights on your dash. I find this acceptable and always have mine out but you may not.

the red interior part

Why

>digital dash
>can make it say anything you want
>use it to recreate analog dials
bravo

It's not even electronics per say because even a Ford A had an ignition system but rather the sheer complexity of modern cars. Especially luxury models with collision avoidance, self parking, 10+ airbags, ESC, radar cruise control, voice navigation,etc. If any of that stuff fails only the dealer will have the computer to hook it up to.

I'm in for techy looks in cars but I don't like buttons in my steering wheel.

>only the dealer
That's wrong though. On one hand, manufacturers must make diagnostic equipment/procedures available to independent garages (I think that's usually done by "streaming" the executable code to 3rd party diagnostics computers) and more importantly, all the diagnostic/coding software can be downloaded from places like garageforum and if any special adapters/devices are needed (e.g. a GM MDI or a BMW iCOM) you can get Chinese knockoffs at affordable rates. For example, I have a Chinese Tech II that cost me $260 shipped and it works perfectly. The original devices aren't even available anymore but all the stuff needed like the images of the PCMCIA cards used to store manufacturer/vehicle specific data on can be found online.

Not really. My favorite car of my dad's when I was growing up was his 1987 Buick Rivera with the digital dash so it kind of reminds me of him.

Fuck you for having a 9th gen si I wanted to get one but had to settle for the 1.8 :(

the main thing I dislike about new cars is that the interiors seem to be getting smaller since there is so much random shit jam packed in them and I'm a ~ bIg Guy ~

That's the point. Needing an expert computer tech it fix my car is a bit scary.

I get the same in my '13 Focus, lel

In this 3rd world shithole it's considered a nice car.

I prefer

>mechanical throttle body
>lightly power assisted steering
>vacuum brakes
>mechanical LSD
>analog speedo and RPM

everything else I dont care.

youtube.com/watch?v=mkJ3--2K7yo
The more you overthink the plumbing the easier it is to break.

I used to think the same way, but then I started really researching the computer systems and diagnostics and realized that it's just another skill. The dealer software is made to be used by more or less regular mechanics and it's all just a matter of figuring out which buttons to press.
It may sound scary, but if you think back to before you knew anything about cars, you'll realize that everything about them sounded scary. Once you get to know the subject matter, things become much less intimidating.

ITT: people who do not understand that self driving cars is endgame

For my own vehicle I wouldn't want it, hence why I find my 2003 Hilux to be a pretty damned good compromise. The engine is relatively modern, efficient and solid, but there is no seatbelt airhorn signal, ABS, aircon, ESP/ASP, CANBUS and so on. What its missing is easily achievable through third-party additions.

Still, I can see why we have these new technologies and gadgets. We would never need any of these things if we could make the average person take up an interest in driving & doing it safely, but as most people view driving as nothing more than a chore they will never be truly interested in it, and as such they are the people who are easily distracted, drive under the influence, are unsure of rules and who have literally no comprehension or forethinking.

Having gadgets that allows these people to keep the flow of traffic better, keep distance to the vehicle in front, automatic braking and so on makes the roads safer and more efficient, both for "us" and them. Sure, it means that we're moving more and more away from what we autists typically call "drivers cars", but such is the way of progress, and we all know too well what happens to those who stand in the way of it.

normies want it