Why wouldn't they make it all wheel drive, Veeky Forums?

why wouldn't they make it all wheel drive, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5933435274.html
vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5932563177.html
tune86.com/ft-86-news/20867-victories-toyota-86-gt86-and-lexus-lfa
toyo.co.uk/news/item/id/7996
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It doesn't make enough power to break traction on skinny rears alone, why the fuck would it need to be AWD?

because awd is somewhat what their brand has come to be known for (also engines catching on fire)

>Toyota
>AWD

inb4 muh subaru badge

with enough money you could make it awd yourself.
these things get engine swapped as often as 240s these days

because awd is a meme. And if they added weight it'd be even more slow.

>lets take this car thats supposed to be fun and make it shit

>more power loss
>for a car that has less hp/lb than an Si

>because awd is a meme
I have a long list of competitors with fwd/rwd cars that I've beaten around the snowy track here in my automatic oversized hatchback with awd.

tires and driver > everything else

It would be a RS coupe reborn - WRX sales would plummet.

Engine and transmission placement is too far back to do the typical Subaru front heavy AWD in this chassis. Thank God they decided to not go that route.

I would rather they give it an engine with some real power

Considering that the engine killed DWS in the front, how can you take advantage of the MacPherson up there?

>why is an AE86 tribute RWD
really gets the noggin joggin'

The only two things that make this car good is the fact that it is """light"""" and that it can skid. By making it awd you're taking away both those things.
>Who could have guessed awd is better in the snow?
Go back to that track in the dry/wet and have fun having a bad time.

winter tyres.
Good luck while you either drift round a corner or do 5mph to keep the racing line I can blast around at 4x the speed with no loss of grip

>automatic oversized hatchback with awd

you can't count
>light
>skiddish in stock
>fantastic steering
>fantastic gearbox
>fantastic driving feel
>fun
>massive aftermarket
>cheap
>good chassis
>successful on racetracks
>doriftu king likes it

So you're agreeing with him?

no because I'm a worse driver than those driving against me.
I just got magical car that doesn't let go

>Light
2700 lbs is a little chubby in my books
>skiddish in stock
Just like the s13/s14/s15/ae86/rx7 etc
>fantastic steering
>what is the aw11?
>fun
As much fun as you can have in a ""budget"" modern safety scissors car
>massive aftermarket
unlike the 240, crx/civics, ae86, etc
>cheap
For the cost of a new gt86 you could buy a mk IV supra or an r33 GTR
>good chassis
again, what is 240sx, ae86, etc
>successful on racetracks
source
>doriftu kind likes it
so? He's paid by Toyota to advertise that car.

It seems like somebody bought a gt86 and wants to justify their purchase. It's literally like every other lightish rwd shitbox and you can get the exact same experience by spending 1/3 of the cash. Did mommy and daddy not like you buying an old car?

>For the cost of a new gt86 you could buy a mk IV supra or an r33 GTR

haha

oh wait, you're serious?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

THERE IS NO WAY THAT ISN'T B8

vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5933435274.html
Here's a midnight purple V-Spec, so basically the most desirable R33 GTR.
that's 17k burger bucks for you, so considerably cheaper. More cash for mods, right?

vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5932563177.html
And here's a mkIV SZ-R for $500 cheaper.

>the most desirable R33 GTR

uwotm8?

Sorry
>one of the more desirable R33 GTRs

>2700 lbs is a little chubby in my books

its basically 2017

2700 is light
a fucking Ford Focus weighs 3200 lbs

the rest of your argument is just >muh old cars

>2700 lbs is light for 2017
That's like saying you're the tallest of the 7 dwarves. The only people who buy the gt86 are people who didn't have 25k cash to buy something better.
Also I wouldn't consider 1998 to 2002 old, unless you were born somewhere around then.

>t-the gt86 is better because its new! Muh old cars, haha, go to bed grampa amirite?

the supra is non-turbo, and the prices are for your autistic & snowy fantasy land.

in the superior country below you, prices for supras are double that, and r33's are not legal.

try again buddy.

>>Light
>2700 lbs is a little chubby in my books
Sure. Good luck making a lightweight vehicle with todays standard. GT86 is light compared to contemporaries
>>skiddish in stock
>Just like the s13/s14/s15/ae86/rx7 etc
So you're saying instead of buying an gt86 you'd buy an rx7..
>>fantastic steering
>>what is the aw11?
...aw11...
>>fun
>As much fun as you can have in a ""budget"" modern safety scissors car
...some old car...
>>massive aftermarket
>unlike the 240, crx/civics, ae86, etc
crx...
>>cheap
>For the cost of a new gt86 you could buy a mk IV supra or an r33 GTR
...r33 GTR...
>>good chassis
>again, what is 240sx, ae86, etc
and a 240sx
>>successful on racetracks
>source
tune86.com/ft-86-news/20867-victories-toyota-86-gt86-and-lexus-lfa
toyo.co.uk/news/item/id/7996

there isn't that much yet but as aftermarket grows and seeing how many people opt for gt86 in the circuit it's gonna do well.
It's allready won almost every drivers car award on planet earth
>>doriftu kind likes it
>so? He's paid by Toyota to advertise that car.
have you considered he actually likes it?
Or did toyota pay every single one who chooses to race in gt86 and every single reviewer who picked it for best drivers car?

Not even gt86 owner. I had an opportunity to get one but went for midengine instead because I don't feel sorry for it if I damage it on the track.

over here you can buy around 5 supras or 1 r33GTR.

thats almost 20 years ago

theyre old

>The only people who buy the gt86 are people who didn't have 25k cash to buy something better.

lolno its one of the few decent modern enthusiast cars

buying an old shitbox is worse than getting a new car in all situations if you can afford it but youre probably 16 and dont know that

The 86 is a parts bin car. The engine sits way too far forward and the transmission has a super long bellhousing to make up for the stupid distance. With enough work, a 26 with the 26 trans and transfer case would probably fit, but have fun with all the attessa pumps and wiring

The GT86 is also non-turbo. Are you saying that supra is slower than it?
>t-the r33 GTR doesn't count because we can't have it!
>in the superior country supras are double that, and r33s are not legal.
>superior country
>double that
>not
>legal
HAHAH this country sucks but enjoy your 25-year import law. Also not everyone lives in the US my dude.
Im not saying that there's not a chance that he likes it, but why would it matter if he does? If he wouldn't like the car would you not buy it?
You did cherry pick the list of cars I gave you, but thanks for actually having a proper argument. Thanks for the sources. Some people might like the GT86 but to me it's a mystery when you can have so much better for the same price if you look back 10-20 years. I'll wait 10 until they drop to 5k then I might consider buying one.

>buying an old shitbox is worse than getting a new car in all situations if you can afford it but youre probably 16 and dont know that
its not.
You have a huge selection of drivers cars to pick from.
If you make a good pick it'll be reliable. Not as reliable as a new car but you'll also have a chance to avoid problems. A lot of first gens have issues.

I drive a 2004 toyota shitbox that has had 0 problems other than parts wear.

Nothing is black and white in this world.

GT86 is a great goddamn car tho
so what it's a good goddamn car. Barely any competition too.

>Also I wouldn't consider 1998 to 2002 old, unless you were born somewhere around then
it's fucking old.
And you suggested 1980's-2002.
They're fucking old.
Yes they're all cars I want but they're old.

>implying the r33 GTR is an old shitbox
If you spend 17k on something like that, you have 5-7k for repairs. Seems pretty decent to me.
>n-NO! If it's old it's bad. My brand new vape box is so much better than that old garbage.
Enjoy your devalorization. Those old shitboxes are holding value or going up, while I'll be picking up a gt86 for 240sx money in 10 years time.

I did suggest cars from the 80s, but the MKIV supra was made up to 2002. It was also one of the examples I was giving. I wouldn't consider a 14-year-old car old, but that's just me. My point is not that the gt86 sucks, it's that it doesn't even compare to similarly priced cars that are 15 years old.

>Im not saying that there's not a chance that he likes it, but why would it matter if he does? If he wouldn't like the car would you not buy it?
>You did cherry pick the list of cars I gave you, but thanks for actually having a proper argument. Thanks for the sources. Some people might like the GT86 but to me it's a mystery when you can have so much better for the same price if you look back 10-20 years. I'll wait 10 until they drop to 5k then I might consider buying one.
thanks for being the bigger man and not keeping going.
I cherry picked for comedy sake.

Some people just have funds for a new car and in new car terms gt86 is fantastic.
I'll probs wait until my next car flat out dies.
And then get a memessan GTR(Gooderthanvette Track Record)

I'll wait until my 30 year old space shuttle with the meme engine gives up and then buy more shitboxes. Ae86, Evo V and r33 GTR are on the list. ALL MEMES

Not enough room for the transfer case and front diff, and it would fuck with aesthetics and handling

Every car is me me car to Veeky Forums

I'll readily admit I was getting tired of my 86 last year. I had kept it bone stock for 3 years, and a guy was offering me a 2007 cayman in trade.

somehow I ended stumbling over some car guys just a few days before I was gonna trade it away at a carwash. came with them to their garage and saw all the crazy and fun projects they had going on.

kept my car instead, been working on it for a year now as I got places to work in, and people to help me. dumping too much money into it.

I just wouldn't trade it for anything right now, and I've barely just started. its that feeling of having a capable ''shitbox''. every part you add or switch out, you can feel the car getting better and better. and you dont have to be afraid of mucking it up and destroying it like you would some porsche.

its a new goddamn nissan SX. its what everyone wanted, and toyota/subaru gave us one after years of whining. enjoy.

You can't. They fucked that one up. Try sticky tires and a shit load of caster and negative camber?

not really as big of an issue as you'd think it would be.

absolutely nothing a bit of camber and sticky tires won't solve, like you said.

AWD would make it even slower, do you want the $30k FRS/BRZ to be slower than a SN95 V6 mustang and have a 0-60 of 9 sec?

Or you could be a really cool dude and buy a clean Sileighty for around $10K

clean and sileighty are words that dont belong in the same sentence.

and one day, very soon, SX's are gonna stop existing all together. then we'll have loads of nice 86 which are basically new and better in every way.

> 600HP, NA
> V8
> DOHC

It's literally a Subaru

I like that front bumper

Have fun selling it later with all those mods haha. Or have fun taking it all apart again and selling it in parts. As a rule of thumb, if you had to
>dumping too much money into it
then you should have just bought a better car to start with.

Adding neg camber makes for worse straight line braking performance. You just don't drive hard enough to notice. Dual wishbone is always better than mcpherson. Always.

Because drivers cars are RWD

simple. The chassis will not support it without MAJOR changes.
The engine is mounted too low and too far back (reason being weight distribution) to use one of Subaru's AWD transaxles. And there is no room to put in a front diff with a transfer case, because the engine occupies the required space.
Making the car AWD would completely destroy any sporty pretensions it has. The engine would have to be raised and moved forward, ruining the weight distribution. The firewall and transmission tunnel would need to be modified, which would require a complete interior redesign.

The chassis just WILL NOT SUPPORT IT.

If you want an AWD car with terrible weight distribution, just buy a WRX. If you want an actual sports car, buy the Toyobaru. A few suspension mods and a tire swap, and the Toyotbaru will destroy a WRX or STI on virtually any track.

I'm looking at a Kids Heart Sileighty for sale that is about as clean as it ever gets, and I'm sorta kinda thinking of getting it. The 86 really is a much better car in every way (except that the word Sileighty sounds cooler than FR-S or BRZ or even hachiroku), but the JDM hipster cred of the Sil80 is hard to beat.