Tell me about this island, Veeky Forums

I hear it's quite nice.

Although I know little of its culture and history, I hear it'seems very peaceful and the crime rate is low.

What even is Cyprus' history?

Bronze age, it was Alashiya, the great kingdom who speak as equal to the Kings of Egypt, Syria, Babylon, they were seafarers who were the first to ventured west along to the Myceneans, great exporters of copper and their refined goods.

FUCKING TURKROACHES REEEEEEEEEE

Rightful Venetian clay.

I was just reading about it this morning.

>country is about 80% Greek to 20% Turk
>EOKA lands onto a remote beach from an old junker and starts fucking shit up
>the British just leave in 1959 because war is expensive and they don't care that much
>the 60s and early 70s have a lot of EOKA and other right wing paramilitaries killing Turks, which causes the Turks to move into their own separate ethnic enclaves and avoid leaving them
>in 1974, the military junta ruling Greece decides to back a coup to bring a more extremist Greek government to power, as a LAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINAS kind of distraction play
>the new government begins killing moderate Greeks who are seen as commie sympathizers or soft on Turks
>Turkey decides to invade, and takes a third of the island easily
>Greece can't do shit because the failure of the military coup in Cypress caused the failure of the junta in Greece, and a return to civilian government
>all of the Greeks in newly held Turkish territory are forced south, and Turks in the old Republic of Cypress flee north while UN peacekeepers temporarily keep things from coming to blows
>a massive DMZ is built between the Turk part of the island and the Greek part of the island
>Turk part of the island declares independence, but Turkey is literally the only country to recognize them as a country
>island is still the most heavily fortified corner of the planet outside of the Korean peninsula

WE

You forgot the part where the treaty the turks use to justify their invasion also required them to leave, and they haven't

WUZ

GREEKS

A-and sheeit?

Nice one.

Apparently the British had a presence there. I learned this from MGSV.

C

Y

P

R

U

S

E

If the northern side declared independence from turkey, isn't that technically fulfilling that requirement?