Grammy's CTS

My grandmother is getting rid of her 2008 CTS.

It's got 50k miles, in excellent condition, under warranty until 100k miles. She'd sell it to me for $6k, which I think is a complete steal.

However, I would have to pay $200 / month parking where I live, on top of insurance and maintenance. And my current job doesn't require me to a have a car, but I would need one within the next ~6 months.

Is it worth it to buy the car and pay ~$2000 for parking and insurance for 6 months, even though I wouldn't use it yet?

Sure, if you don't already have a car you'll probably use it at least on weekends or whenever you want to get out of town.

so long as you drove it for 15 minutes every 2 weeks and brought the engine up to operating temperature, go for it.
Those Cadillacs are really nice and those 3.6L V6s are pretty bulletproof

Why not just put it in a storage locker?

That's interesting, I didn't think of that. and like
said I would just need to drive it ~twice a month to keep it running, which is fun anyway.

Ya, even if the Storage Locker is $100 a month, you are still ahead.

>3.6L V6s are pretty bulletproof
But it's a GM. Aren't American cars really unreliable?

That was true in the 1970's and early 80's but it doesn't apply now.

Then why is Cadillac #28 in the Car and Driver reliability survey while Toyota/Lexus, Honda, Infiniti, and Mazda top it?

because Cadillac has problems with their CUE infotainment system

Is it really that bad? I'm seriously considering leasing a Cadillac in about 3-5 years after I get a few promotions and an increase in earnings, but everywhere I go I see people bitching about CUE.

I'm also worried they'll tone down that aggressive styling that I like so much about the modern CTS and XTS. The CT6 already looks kind of too mellow.

Because reliability surveys are a fucking meme.

Call me when they make a proper survey for relevant shit instead of "software problems".

I own a 2014 CTS and I can tell you that CUE isn't as bad as reported. The 2013 CUE in the ATS had issues. The 2014 and 2015 CUE in the ATS and CTS operate normally. The 2016 CUE in the CTS, ATS and CT6 has hardware improvements that increase software performance as well as Android Auto and Apple Carplay. The main issue is that CUE requires to be set up with favorites or it is an ergonomic nightmare. Also you have to use the touchscreen to seek radio stations. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Are there no buttons on the steering wheel to control the radio? That seems like a major oversight.

Well for reliability, they should probably be studying the lifetime performance, replacement odds, and costs of replacement for various parts in addition to the ease of use of various things, their ease of maintenance, and the frequency of updates, right?

There are volume controls and seek control on the steering wheel. The problem with the seek buttons is that they don't cycle through radio stations similar to older car radios and only AM, FM or XM favorited stations. There also is a voice control button that you can use to make the radio play a specific song off your Bluetooth connected phone or go to a specific music station. If your stations are set up, it's easy to use. If not, it's painful to use.

Oh, is that all? That's perfectly fine with me; most modern cars steering wheel seek buttons only let you sort through favorites. And setting up those favorites is like 5 minutes work.

How's the maintenance on the CTS? Pretty manageable compared to MBs and BMWs?

I don't really think that there is too much to worry about in terms of scheduled maintenance. I haven't really heard too many issues with the CTS since it is Cadillac's most reliable vehicle. It would be wise to get a CPO so that you can keep the warranty and free scheduled maintenance.

Move out of whatever shithole charges you 200$ a month for a parking spot.

Where ru located. I'll buy it off you

>under warranty until 100k miles
Nope. The typical warranty is time or distance. Probably already expired.