Any reason to use these over a jack?

any reason to use these over a jack?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_mites
youtube.com/watch?v=wR2DystgByQ
amazon.com/Powersports-ML-1066-Sports-Service-Profile/dp/B00069G51S/ref=pd_sbs_60_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00069G51S&pd_rd_r=2TPT9RT4WPQHYWHHTXN0&pd_rd_w=SkURP&pd_rd_wg=3kFSH&psc=1&refRID=2TPT9RT4WPQHYWHHTXN0
allgaragefloors.com/5-best-car-ramps/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if you got them for free and you don't have a jack

>more stable
>easier
>no worries about jack collapsing

>not buying car enthusiast themed cheese graters

Safer, less work involved, less reliance on jack stands that can fail.

>have to leave the wheels on to use

Faster fluid changes. I don't because they're sketchy with a manual.
>Tfw they scrape along my concrete floor.

The problem being?

God damn.
Good thing new years almost passing.

What he means is they are useful, just not for changing brakes and etc. I think you already knew that though.

Any work that requires the wheel to be removed.

Obviously it wouldn't be very suitable to changing tires. I know that.
I was thinking more of changing fluids and such

Alright I'll try and break it down for you on whether you should use ramps or not using this simple test:
>Does the vehicle need to be raised off of the ground in order to do the work needed?
If no, perform work.
If yes, continue to next question.
>Do you need to remove the wheels from the vehicle in order to perform the work?
If yes, use jack.
If no, use ramps.

There you go!

If only Veeky Forums had more brilliant rationalists like this, we could have been on Mars by now.

The way you broke down the complicated problem into simple parts, and presented one in detail and clarity...especially for such a profound, deep question. Oh, take me now.

you forgot to attach image of flowchart for people who need pictures to learn

>actually writing this

Didn't you get it that I did in fact understand?

>any reason to use these over a jack?
>ramps with no cross brace

reason 1, you want to die and are to afraid to kill yourself on purpose
reason 2, you want to die and make your suicide look like an accident

I use these. No worries of rust. Only worries of degradation of polymer / plastic material...

theyre pretty good farn

they look like cheese graters

Perfect for those who got too good tires and wants them to get get worse in order to easily perform hektik skidz

Why is there lice on that cheese.

Because he wanted [spoiler]malice[/spoiler]

>Why is there lice on that cheese.
Cheese mites are common. In cheesemaking documentaries, they are an essential part of what creates the flavour of certain cheeses.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_mites

Cheese Mites on Stilton cheese:
youtube.com/watch?v=wR2DystgByQ

Yes. If your car isn't too low to use them they're
>easier
>more stable
>faster
than a jack and jackstands and are perfect for maintenance and repairs which don't require removal of the wheels.

>can't use them for an oil change because the car has to be flat

I have an irrational fear of being crushed to death under my cars, Even when I use more then a couple jack stands. I always think the from will slip off them and kill me

I use wheel locks when I use them with the E brake. Feels safe enough

You can even build your own wood pair for low profile cars (most cars will scrape on OP's pic).

>He doesn't precariously work on a sloped driveway

Those are junk. Read the amazon reviews, There are pics of 2000lb shitbox's breaking them

Don't be a jew when It's the only thing holding you between thousands of pounds and a painful and embarrassing death

what are the best stands you can buy then? most of the ones i see are complete shit

No, unfortunately you seem to have an overwhelming air of stupidity about you.

the best ones will be more than you can afford pal

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_mites

THINGS I DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW FOR 500, ALEX.

I have a pair of these. A bit steep but It's something you will never buy again and keep you safe.

Buy a pair of wheel chocks too, I like the rubber ones.

amazon.com/Powersports-ML-1066-Sports-Service-Profile/dp/B00069G51S/ref=pd_sbs_60_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00069G51S&pd_rd_r=2TPT9RT4WPQHYWHHTXN0&pd_rd_w=SkURP&pd_rd_wg=3kFSH&psc=1&refRID=2TPT9RT4WPQHYWHHTXN0

Try doing a brake job with those ramps.

Nobody is stupid enough to think that's a problem but you. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that ramps are for non wheel-off jobs, the fact that you feel it's worth pointing out means you're so incredibly stupid that you think you're pointing something not obvious out. Akin to you pointing out to someone who says they like colorful sunsets that the sky is blue in the middle of the day.

>any reason to use these over a jack?
Those types of machine bent ramps are not recommended. They are examples of unbraced (no additional support for the bent sections). They are subject to unpredictable failure if the car is rocked from side to side.

>Only worries of degradation of polymer / plastic material.
While race ramps are fairly solid foam, they can degrade if a tire runs along the edge or against the end lip.

>Rhino Ramps
They are pretty good despite scaring some people with how hollow they are. You should inspect them before use. Their weakness is running the car too far forward on the ramps which will cause stress cracks inside the plastic. That's because with the car so forward, the weight is no longer distributed evenly. To oversimplify, as a tire rests on the ground, imagine a pyramid with its top tip where the tire rests upon the ground. That pyramid represents how the stress from the weight is distributed downwards. As you look at it from a side view you see a nice even slope on the front and back. Nice even force distribution. Now, imagine the ground ends at a sharp vertical cliff. As the tire rolls forward to the very edge of that cliff, that nice triangular stress distribution ceases because the cliff is now blocking off force distribution. That very uneven force distribution causes the plastic at that end zone area to have microstress cracks you cannot see. Over time and repeated drivings, it can get to the point of sudden failure. So, never drive anywhere near the end of a rhino or other plastic ramp now that you visualized this stress model.

allgaragefloors.com/5-best-car-ramps/

if the weight of a car is pushing on a jack stand in the direction if the red arrow, why doesn't a jack stand slip out from under the car?

I use these

if that was the direction weight was pushing, you would be right. but the direction is more or less straight down. especially if you block the back wheels

friction and there is barely any sideways force. it's 99% straight down. your red arrow is uneducated conjecture.

Cause the weight of the car isn't pushing from that direction

Because you are oversimplifying the problem. YOU considered the jack stand to be a single rod with one end touching the car and the other end touching the floor. Jack stands now have pyramid bases (four points) and not triangular (three points) touching the floor. That along with the the fact you set the parking brake holds the car there. Of course, if your parking brake is off, then the car could fall off the jack stand.

Some people do put roll over ramps under the rear wheels. That not only adds a lot more space under the car where a body can fit, but also levels the car more to reduce the chance it rolls off the stand.

physics does not work that way

How? I leave the e-brake on

use them in addition to a jack

>2017
>buying dangerous, Chinese plastic garbage
>not building your own wooden ramps

Proof? I heavily doubt they haven't done FEA analysis on these to figure that out.

Have you ever been disappointed by something made in china? But when you are underneath the car, what does it mean when the situation occurs where your heir becomes disappointed with the ramp quality?

The red arrow would be true if you parked and raised the car on an incline (for whatever reason) but in that case you leave the car in gear and/or leave the e-brake on. nigga lern fysiccs

>jack stands that can fail

Yeah because a straight piece of metal with a metal rod inserted into it is such a fragile structure.

If you are so afraid of jack stands failing, I don't understand how you can think ramps can't do the same.
The result is always the same, your car goes down and you die

Good luck changing your brakes, or a tire, or anything to do with the suspension, etc

So you opted for degradation rather than degradation? Sounds smart.

look:

name all maintenance jobs where the car has to be lifted but no wheel has to be removed.

>fluid changes
>some underbody work/ exhaust stuff
>clutch (hardly maintenance)
>???

want to do brakes or suspension? doesn't work on ramps.

>If you are so afraid of jack stands failing, I don't understand how you can think ramps can't do the same.
It's more being worried about the jackstands tipping than breaking.

Some cars you may have to pull the halfshafts to drop the transmission to get to the clutch.

So you can't even do some driveline work with ramps.

That's why you always put the wheel/tire under the car if you're afraid of that.

If you're on a level hard surface, and have put the car on the stands correctly, they should never tip.

look:

Quicker. Not by much in the grand scheme of any job.

You wouldn't be able to do a clutch change on a FWD car without removing the wheels, most of them require removing the subframe. The only thing ramps are good for is getting lowered cars high enough to jack up.

>2092
>Building anything
i just print it

Make your own out of wood. Wood won't collapse if stacked, cheap, and easy to build.

They make sick bicycle jumps.

Couldn't you drain the oil, then put the car in neutral and lower it off the ramps so you could add the oil and check the level?

My fleet mechanic uses wood ramps.

I mean, don't need to worry about structural integrity with blocks of wood.

Or you can buy 4 ramps and have the car flat on them

holy fuck that's sketchy

Wood is pretty strong

If you're worried about the jack collapsing while you're under the car, you shouldn't be working on cars in the first place.

>If you're worried about the jack collapsing while you're under the car, you shouldn't be working on cars in the first place.

But then Veeky Forums mocks that person for not working on their own car. So it's a catch-22 of worrying about what Veeky Forums thinks about you or worrying about personal safety.

Good for:
oil changes
general surveying
exhaust
not worrying about the car falling

bad for:
brakes
tires
suspension
anything that requires the wheels being off

>collapsing
More like it falling over

Cheese, yogurt, and almost all dairy products are mold or a curdled version of milk. Its no hidden secret

Please realize that I said jack and not jack stands. If a person doesn't know the difference between the two, I'd rather them not have anything to do with tools.

>There are people that don't use jack stands at all times whenever the car is jacked

What the fuck.

Everyone doesn't have an even pavement nearby to use, nor owns jackstands.

maybe you should read the post all those people are replying to in the first place?
>the problem being?
>get told
retard

look:

>2016+1
>Plebs lifting cars with jacks
>Not using shoe-horns like pic-related

its true, people genuinely trust the $20 jack they got at harbor freight to support 4,000 pounds. Its actually terrifying

i use rhino ramps for oil changes on my 4000 pound econobox and my gf's 6000 pound suv

>Not just using a couple of tires or cinder blocks as a safety support

>cinder blocks as a safety support
Those can suddenly crumble especially since there is such a wide variance in quality.

it can do that if the rear wheels are not chocked
or if the jack stand is not in good and level contact with the ground or car

it can still tip over
or pop out from being compressed or damp

>holy fuck that's sketchy
2x4 yes. now some pressure treated 6x2 w/ a couple spares under it is gonna be safer than some bottom shelf harbor freight jackstands.

I don't trust any of those jacks and shit.

Always put some tactical cement blocks with a little wood on them under the car as life insurance.

>Wood is pretty strong
People make the mistake of not making the base wide enough so that sideways motion doesn't cause the stack of wood to fall over.

Picture: How do you jack up this vehicle? Or use a jack stand?

you guys have obviously never used a VW jack... they call them widow makers for a reason. They literally make zero sense physically. They instill fear in the hearts of those who dare use them.

This is when drive-on stands come in handy

Maybe if you're a faggot.

>implying it's cheese

We used to sell these at Vatozone. I've had to process too many returns for chipping/cracking/excessive drying of the plastic. Do not buy these if you live anywhere remotely hot.

> inb4 quit pushing WITTDJR faggot
> inb4 hurr-durr COC is stupid

Jack is different than jack stands you moron

>you guys have obviously never used a VW jack
B.b.but VW tested those jacks and they meet published safety specifications....

you obviously never owned a VW, because that, my friend, is a jack :^)

the OEM Volkswagen Pinchweld.

That's an emergency tire changing jack for when you get a flat tire, what kind of moron uses one of those for actual work on their car?

The one in my peugeot looks similar, are jacks like this realy that bad?

poorfags like most of Veeky Forums