How hard is it to import and register a car into the USA? I really want a RHD Suzuki Cappuccino...

How hard is it to import and register a car into the USA? I really want a RHD Suzuki Cappuccino. They are hella cheap and look bad ass

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/5941992508.html
japaneseclassics.com/inventory/
montumotors.com/vehicles
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5933521110.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5915619273.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5921618814.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

25 years old or older cars only. the importing part costs about 3k with all the fees and taxes (pray you don't get inspected because thats an extra 1k)

you can go through an import company, but they charge premium (10k+ for a 91' jap econbox) for custom orders and don't really do many kei cars like that. its all skylines and other sportscars.

>25 years old or older cars only
Importing current cars is possible. Things like an E61 M5 can be done, because the E61 (08 535) exists in the US and has crash test data, as does the E60 M5 (Sedan only).

It's mostly just the sedan drive train in the wagon.

Holy fuck, $10k? What kind of services could they offer to justify that kind of a price? I assumed it would just be as simple as putting it in a crate and sending it off on a ship

When doing legal work, or having proper paper trails to make the shit legitimate, can cost, its called bureaucracy.

Its why lawyers are so fucking expensive.

just looked at suzuki cappuchino prices in eu.
6k for a nice model.
500 euros for shipping from the other side of the union.

the bureaucracy surrounding import/export laws is autismal as fuck. especially in japan.

there is a metric fuckton of paperwork and inspections that have to get done. yeah you could fly over there and do it yourself (will be more than 10k+ i assure you), or you could gamble getting ripped off by hiring a cut-rate proxy you met over the internet and buying a car sight unseen.

those little jap econobox's will never pass US safety standards and retrofitting is impractical. for OP's purpose, so his only options are 25 years or older. you are right though. european imports are actually easier just because flights/shipping is cheaper, more cars are compatible with US standards, and there is less of a language barrier.

>I really want a RHD Suzuki Cappuccino

As opposed to LHD Cappucinos ...

1.dont be in california
2.dont be in california

Do you have any idea how small those things are? How short are you?

If you're lucky you'll be able to find one already imported in Canada, they import at 15 or 20 years, I forgot.

Look around on craigslist. A lot of people sell their already imported kei cars. I have seen a Cappuccino on there.

Note sure how this 2002 Diahatsu Midget is here since the car must be at least 25 years old to be imported:
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/5941992508.html

probably registered it as a kit car or some shit.

Have you seen the price of roadster Kei cars?

Japanese Classics sells Honda Beats from $7,500 to $10,600.

japaneseclassics.com/inventory/

Montu Motors sells Honda Beats from $7,900 to $9,500.

montumotors.com/vehicles

Now compare those prices to roadsters you find on craigslist.

cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5933521110.html
>2006 Pontiac Solstice
>77,500 miles
>$6,500

cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5915619273.html
>2002 Mazda Miata
>44,000 miles
>$6,000

cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5921618814.html
>Whatever the fuck this thing is
>40,000 miles
>$5,400

>Suzuki Cappuccino
>look bad ass
there is no other car that shouts GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY this much

>Suzuki Cappuccino
>bad ass
A you a dwarf?

You probably like Caymans and Boxters though... Don't know if you get to call anything gay..

>this desperate implying and damage control

lol what a faggot

Are you sure you're in the right thread? He asked how much it costs to import a car. I think he knows what a miata is, but he wants a cappacino.

I'm in the same boat as you OP, haven't really looked into shipping but I really want one of those. I love tiny cars

>I think this car looks cool
>GAAAYYYY!!
>...what why? Projecting much?

What really seals the deal for me is how high the Cappuccinos rev. There is nothing more fun than pinning the gears at 10k+.

it's gay as fuck, and they couldn't give it a more gay name even if they tried lol

Believe it or not, just because it's small doesn't mean it's gay. You probably drive a truck and drive it like a dick.
>I drive a camaro

btw I'm laughing at you for trying to imply that I like other gay cars so that it somehow make your poof choice a more valid one

I think the comparative form is "gayer."

kek, I don't drive any amerilard barn on wheels either my dear upset penis muncher

ps; cappuccino is gay as FEEERRRKK

I'm just trying to get you to see how unintelligent it is to call "gayyy" anytime someone likes something you don't. Not even gay, I actually really don't like gay dudes

Mmm camaro

Damn son that's some cancer. What's the point of concept cars anyway? I own a third gen and personally think it's the best body style, but I'm very biased. haha

Could be wrong but I believe there are some regulations that make kei cars illegal to drive on public roads in the states.

It's not a matter of me liking it or not, if a guy drives that then he is giving a clear message: 'I like it up the ass'

I thought we were discussing kei cars, not bro trucks.

holy shit you are retarded

I thought that was because some kei cars lack enough power to properly be used on US highways. Some Kei cars are more than sufficient for that though, Cappuccino being one of them.

Capps can be pretty mental with some tuning. Turning the limiter off and dropping in a fresh turbo bumps them from 63hp to 100-110hp. Doesn't take much to get them from there to 150hp either. They weigh a touch under 1500lbs stock.

The manufacturer would have to certify it's the same. It's not going to have FMVSS bumpers or lights; plus, you'd have to meet emissions on this hypothetical.

>import jap car
>no source of jap formulated fuel

you didn't think this through did you