Complex Website

How the fuck do you make a website like Ebay or Facebook or even something like Breitbart? Not even talking about getting an original idea to make something like this.

Assuming you have a great idea and want to create a platform. A website that others can post on, that can give administrative privliges, etc.

Is it worth it to learn CSS, PHP, C#, SQL etc. so you can make it yourself or is it better to hire someone? Also what kind of costs are we talking about, I always assumed it was a relitively low cost investment (maybe for the shit websites) but what about server costs once it grows.

Are there any knowlagable anons that can redpil me on how to make a website.

I mean there HAS to be multiple ways

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/nofacecf/noface.socnet
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ruby on Rails.

First... FIRST you see if there is a extant platform that is similar or could be retooled to suite your needs.

For example, I think Reddit's source code is Public Domain. There are countless chans because it's easy to clone.

>Is it worth it to learn CSS, PHP, C#, SQL etc. so you can make it yourself or is it better to hire someone?
It's not worth it to build it yourself, but obviously you should learn something like C# or Python and also how to database because it means that you're not gonna be totally clueless about implementation, and architecture

Can't comment on the costs: but there are options that exist so you're not caught with your pants down if you have a moderate but unexpected surge.

And when I say "not build it yourself' if it's going to be a big money maker: do it right. Hire or team up with a competent developer.

If it's worth doing, it's worth paying for.

Yeah, this took me a while to grasp because there are a lot of moving parts.

Basically you have front end work and back end.
Front end is stuff like html, css, and some JavaScript.

The back end is where all the fun happens. You'll have certain methods to display pages, handle user input(html forms) and store/fetch info from the database.

Basically take whatever language you are most familiar with and see if there are any web frameworks for it. There should be some good tutorials or documentation.

I guess wordpress + a ton of plugins is the simplest way to do it.

If you want to see how it's not done I have a copy of a social network I cobbled up together while trying to learn PHP.

github.com/nofacecf/noface.socnet

start reading at the index and google the syntax to see what does what.

First you learn html, which takes a day.
Then css, which takes a weekend to get started and weeks to get good at.
With these two you can make a static design.

Then you need php/mysql to get your data in and out of a database. Now you have a website that people can log into and serve content.

Then you need Javascript to make image galleries and other user side interactive elements. But you could also probably borrow someone elses code for this.

This is the mainstream path to learn it. I made my website with 0 knowledge up front. Just start and learn as you go. Once you are halfway there you will realize you did everything wrong. But your second project will surely be great.

One tip for designing an attractive website: just do what others do.

How long do you think it would take to actually learn all of this, and when I do manage to learn it will the content that I create be good. I mean could I make a site that is on par (structurally) with something like Complex.com

This is what I am leaning towards. Learning enough that I don't get fucked out of my own idea, but I feel thay I need someone with a good amount of skills to pull this off. I mean Facebook didn't look like shit when it took off right?

How do I even find a team. Do I put up a fucking craigslist ad or go on freelance?

You will probably fail. My advice is don't try

I've turned out a few side projects. With two competent (i.e. professional) engineers it takes a few days. From scratch it'll take you a few months if you're real serious about learning.

My suggestion is to learn enough to build a prototype then hire some guys if you're serious about your idea. There are sites for hiring freelancers or you can try to hire a broke student from your local college.

yes, facebook did look bad when it came out

go to

i learned css, php, js, and html myself to create my site because i didnt want to pay some pajeet 5k - 10k.

i have a blogspot that pulls like 10k hits a week.....am i ever going to be told to just get my own site because i am just killing their bandwidth or what

What database?

>and when I do manage to learn it will the content that I create be good
Content is different to platform dude. Divorce those two things right now.

> I mean could I make a site that is on par (structurally) with something like Complex.com
Depends on the content. You can run good content off a Tumblr, or a Wordpress.
It's what they say in (buildings) Architecture and Industrial design:
>Form follows Function.
Work out what your website does/provides.
Who is using it?
What's the best way for them to interact with it?

That last question when answered will automatically answer issues over the platform, because your needs will be obvious

> I mean Facebook didn't look like shit when it took off right?
Yep. Even now it's a pretty ugly website. Never developed anything properly so I'll defer to other anons to provide the advice. Start scrimping for your budget man. But most importantly nail down the who, how, and why of your website so you know exactly what your platform needs to be.

its a wordpress site that use mysql. i use hostgator as my host.

Protip: learn html/css/jquery and start a business making websites for other (small) businesses. you can charge easily 1k or more per website for maybe 10 hours work. easy money and you wont be a wagecuck.

Then after a few years, you learned enough about that stuff that you can start your complex project. Plus, you will probably have employees who can work for you.

Thats what im doing

online marketer reporting in

Typically website owners (both small guys and giants) and their property tend to grow in one of two ways:

the entrepreneur tries to do everything himself, typically because he doesn't have the funds to outsource, doesn't have the connections to people he trusts with the various jobs needed, and/or wants to build it himself as this is "his baby". They will normally either just be starting out in which case they, their website, and there service/product slowly evolves from the moment it's created to the moment it's "perfected". The website grows and develops and adjusts dynamically in real time as success grows and knowledge/skill is obtained. Alternatively they may may be long experienced and already have the skills needed in which case the website will be further along from the beginning of it's creation and ramp up and grow faster

the businessman on the other hand outsources everything he can. which normally means anything that's not "special steps unique to his plan", so he outsources things like webdesign, software development, and/or possibly content and marketing.

it really depends on who you are, how close your project aligns with your own personal skillset, and how much money you're ready to spend

For beginners I think CMS like Wordpress are the most attractive offer you can get.

+ Relatively easy to set up and get started.
+ Themes and templates are easily founded to match what your aesthetics needs are
+ Great community
+ 3rd party integration, like adding a payment capturing system is not too difficult when there are guides to help you with that

Countless chains easy to clone. Any interest in starting another chance?

I dream of a biz board where there are no shitcoins.

A ylyl that isn't bananas

A ck without 4 trillion (you)

I fucking hate this place because of like 5 repeated shit shows.

>Muh stocks...

PHP is a goldmine

The thing you want is called MVC, model view controller. Those are not web sites, but rather web apps, since they don't serve static content and are data driven.

The languages listed in this thread are technically capable of doing MVC, but I recommend something like lavarel which was specifically made for it. Also as much as I hate to admit it, asp.net isn't bad. Either way you can get hosting for this for $10 a month.

Not using a framework is timesink CS dropout tier since you're just going to spending months recreating something someone else has already done for free. It's useful and you should know the base language that you use for the framework, but "kids today" can indeed set up their host one time and then use CF (code first) never even know what a database is.

MVC can seem intimidating at first but once you have your tables set up, it's just a matter of sql queries or LINQ or whatever equivalent it will have in it.

>not solutions: wordpress with 10,001^2 plugins

just use a template
just use a template
just use a template
just use a template

Use WordPress and pick your plugins

Quick and dirty ? Set up a cms and install a social plugin

I think the problem is structure and content.

If there is an original idea for the website structure (some shit like facebook) then ya go for it.

A lot of these sites like Complex or Infowars are just cut and paste, with the only way of diferinciating between them being the fucking domain name and content.

The question is how do you find a good template.

Can any /g/s say how they think infowars and complex were made.

I have no idea what happened when I typed differentiate. So shamed

>MODEL, VIEW, CONTROLLER.

FINE I'll DO IT

Just remember, if you fail at making your site a monetary success, but still learn MVC, you now have a marketable skill. 300k starting etc. I'll promptly fuck off now